Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
06.07.2006 - 19:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=14742] on 06.07.2006 at 19:22

Written by [user id=14603] on 06.07.2006 at 18:52

first black metal band in it's imagery : Venom
first black metal band in ideology and sound : Bathory

everything before that is not black metal, it's either trash (like Hellhammer) or metal that inspired black metal (like Mercyful Fate)

and Dissection never was true black metal, it's melodic death with some bm influences

and... the first black metal band to actually use that term about their music i belive was darkthrone?
Or atleast thats what fenriz claims, but he's nuts so i dunno

Written by [user id=14603] on 06.07.2006 at 19:03

Bathory is not the roots of black metal, it is it's beginning. It did'nt inspired bm, it created bm. Do not mix things up. Nowadays black metal is not all symphonic and melodic as Emperor. It's raw and ugly like Bathory.

Black metal can indeed be melodic
Can we please just forget that emperor released prometheus?
Emperor didn't even make it, Ihsahn did it pretty much all alone

(for those who didnt guess, Emperor one of my fav bands)

Emperor is my fav band too fisrt of them I hear Kosmic Keys to My Creatures And Times, but my fav are ''Reverence'' now you know about what kind a covers I talking, this is amzaing and great BM cover, but dunno my fav album cover are Immortal ''Battles In The North''
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.07.2006 - 19:58
Ruines
Account deleted
I know it can be and i like a few bands in the melodic side of bm (mostly Astarte's Quod superius...) BUT the guy was talking of emperor like it was a true black band.

I just wanted to clarify things so we use the good terms to describe a band.

And i still don'T understand why people praise Emperor so much
06.07.2006 - 20:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=14603] on 06.07.2006 at 19:58

I know it can be and i like a few bands in the melodic side of bm (mostly Astarte's Quod superius...) BUT the guy was talking of emperor like it was a true black band.

I just wanted to clarify things so we use the good terms to describe a band.

Well in early days maybe Emperor was true BM and I also like some melodic blaxck metal bands, moustly unqnown like Bischow Of Hexen and so, because still thay had BM style lyrics

Emperor I dunno why people rate them so much, maybe because people are diferent and moust of who say I liek BM knows only Dimmu Borgir, Emmperor, Mayhem and Immortal, maybe thats why

BTW what you think about Portugal band Celtic dance and lead singer sid eproject forgot name.
----

apos;'
[image]
06.07.2006 - 20:17
Ruines
Account deleted
Can't say, i dont know them.
06.07.2006 - 20:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=14603] on 06.07.2006 at 20:17

Can't say, i dont know them.

Try in MA , I think thay are best Portugal BM band, btw you like LLN?

In eve I will ask some quate about Scandinavian BM
----

apos;'
[image]
06.07.2006 - 20:21
Ruines
Account deleted
i m gonna continue this conversation in private cuz its pointless for other topic readers.
06.07.2006 - 22:42
lyrra sark
Account deleted
Quote:

Emperor I dunno why people rate them so much, maybe because people are diferent and moust of who say I liek BM knows only Dimmu Borgir, Emmperor, Mayhem and Immortal, maybe thats why

gee, it couldn't possibly be that people who actually listen to black metal, and who listen to more than just a few well-known bands, could actually think they're any good? nah... couldn't be.

what a condescending assumption, that the only reason someone might like Emperor, is because they're just not well-enough informed.

it always seems to come down to credibility. the more obscure the bands you say you like, the more credible you are. esthetics doesn't enter into it at all.

nonsense.

i happen to like Emperor a lot because they embody much of what drew me to BM in the first place: texture, complexity, a different way of thinking about music. and in particular, ihsahn's approach is unique. i happen to appreciate intelligent, experimental music, and i think that with Emperor he pushed a genre normally given to redundancy and paradoxical conformity, into some interesting directions. he actually cared about production and performance values... as do some other BM acts which are regularly disparaged for similar reasons, as if actual musicianship were itself a disqualifier in this field.
06.07.2006 - 23:02
Zeleznk
listening to black metal wasn't so easy for me at first, because when I first heared it I wasn't concentrating myself on the music enough, probbably because of the sound which was quite alien for me at that time.

but when you start listening to it more carefully you start enjoying all of it - the fast drums, the vocals, the amazing guitar riffs and of course the atmosphere.

nowdays my favourite BM band is Immortal (can't wait for the reunion) who are excellent, although they're quite ugly and funny in their outfits. The music is awsome.
----
()...()
:0,,0:
06.07.2006 - 23:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Zeleznk on 06.07.2006 at 23:02

listening to black metal wasn't so easy for me at first, because when I first heared it I wasn't concentrating myself on the music enough, probbably because of the sound which was quite alien for me at that time.

but when you start listening to it more carefully you start enjoying all of it - the fast drums, the vocals, the amazing guitar riffs and of course the atmosphere.

nowdays my favourite BM band is Immortal (can't wait for the reunion) who are excellent, although they're quite ugly and funny in their outfits. The music is awsome.

ey man you like serbian BM band Izpovest I love specely one song in serbian language, I evemn translate lyrics 60% of them, great band
----

apos;'
[image]
06.07.2006 - 23:09
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Sadly enough, Dimmu borgir were the ones to turn me onto black metal (with their album DCA). The first REAL black metal I heard was Gorgoroths album "Twilight Of the Idols." Which I still enjoy today. Then in early 2004 I heard Burzums Dunkelheit and was fully converted to it. Before all of that I had heard some King Diamond and listened to some death metal.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
06.07.2006 - 23:42
Zeleznk
Quote:
Quote:

ey man you like serbian BM band Izpovest I love specely one song in serbian language, I evemn translate lyrics 60% of them, great band

sadly I haven't heared of any Serbian BM band, but I'm quite interested in the ex-Yugoslavian scene. The only band from this area that I've heared a few songs from them are Ashes You Leave (from Croatia), that's probbably because I've got a bad internet connection (I guess I'm the only one in this part of my country who doesn't have a DSL or cable internet).
I'm planing to get myself a cable connection this fall and then I'm going to ask you about some good underground stuff I can download, cause I know you know about maaaaaaaany good bands.
----
()...()
:0,,0:
07.07.2006 - 00:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Zeleznk on 06.07.2006 at 23:42

sadly I haven't heared of any Serbian BM band, but I'm quite interested in the ex-Yugoslavian scene. The only band from this area that I've heared a few songs from them are Ashes You Leave (from Croatia), that's probbably because I've got a bad internet connection (I guess I'm the only one in this part of my country who doesn't have a DSL or cable internet).
I'm planing to get myself a cable connection this fall and then I'm going to ask you about some good underground stuff I can download, cause I know you know about maaaaaaaany good bands.

About ASY I open tread about them, its in my prof, go post there and well yeah internet conection it depends how much you can discovere all

About Ispovest try this http://music.mp3lizard.com/ispovest/
----

apos;'
[image]
07.07.2006 - 01:39
Niflhel
Account deleted

Im biased really, theyre a local band you see
But yeah, i think id love them anyway.

Anyhow, theyre pretty unique(yes) and they actually have good lyrics, unlike most bm bands
07.07.2006 - 01:51
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14742] on 07.07.2006 at 01:39

Anyhow, theyre pretty unique(yes) and they actually have good lyrics, unlike most bm bands

You've got good reasons to like them. I hate when people says Emperor are the kings of bm. Okay, like em for their lyrics and uniqueness, but black metal has a lot more to offer than emperor. I'd say Emperor is a great experimental band since it pushed the black metal concept so far that it wasn't black metal anymore in the end.

anyway i'm done with emperor, sleep tight i won t come back with the usual argument against them.
07.07.2006 - 02:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
About lyrics well lamoust ewery band has its won style of lyrics, but I dunnow itch are best, I like Emperor, Immortal, and french, german band lyrics trhay are unice, also Bishop of hexen ''Lure My Speled Emotions'' not all BM bands are poets, but those who are wrote incredibile lyrics.
----

apos;'
[image]
07.07.2006 - 02:34
Niflhel
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14603] on 07.07.2006 at 01:51

Written by [user id=14742] on 07.07.2006 at 01:39

You've got good reasons to like them. I hate when people says Emperor are the kings of bm. Okay, like em for their lyrics and uniqueness, but black metal has a lot more to offer than emperor. I'd say Emperor is a great experimental band since it pushed the black metal concept so far that it wasn't black metal anymore in the end.

anyway i'm done with emperor, sleep tight i won t come back with the usual argument against them.

Don't think there is a point of arguing about music taste really
07.07.2006 - 08:39
King Antichrist
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14742] on 06.07.2006 at 17:41

Written by [user id=7583] on 06.07.2006 at 07:02

Obviously, but it's a poor example as Dimmu Borgir are clearly more of a black metal band than Metallica, stupid example.

To prove a point.
None of them are BM, therefor dimmu simply cant be more bm than tallica

You cant say that avril is more bm metal than britney spears (as she technically would be, after all she uses real instruments) , it's the same thing.

You(or was it someone else?) said that dimmu has bm guitars and drums etc, not more than any other metal band out there

I think if you perhaps listened to a few more black metal bands and other non black metal bands then you could distinguish between the very noticable and recognisable black metal guitar tones and the other tones used in other genres.
07.07.2006 - 12:59
Niflhel
Account deleted
Brilliant idea, will do that. Cheers
07.07.2006 - 17:43
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Nobody here really said Emperor were the KINGS of black metal. If people mention them more than other bands you think should be mentioned, Ruines, mabye you could make some suggestions as to what bands you would like to recommend. If Niflhel has a good reason to like a band, would I not have a good reason just because I'm not from norway and don't listen to as many BM bands as you? IT'S FUCKING MUSIC. Who gives a shit. At least make some suggestions before trying to sound like such an Elitist. And stay true to the topic: What makes you listen to BM?
----
Brujerizmo!
07.07.2006 - 18:26
Ruines
Account deleted
I'm no elitist that's for sure. A black metal musician moshing in hardcore shows isn't really kvlt.
About emperor i might have talk a bit swiftly, i m just tired of seing EMPEROR written all over THIS board. On every black metal board i ve went to, people actually see them as pretty boring.

What makes me listen to black metal ?

A lot of things actually. Songs that inspire pride, atmospheres, raw sounds, DIY scene, cheap prices for demo tapes.... Most of all is those mid-tempo riffing in the likes of the song Det Som En Gang Var.

My recommandations :
Bathory, Bilskirnir, Graveland, Moonblood (Blut Und Krieg album), Nokturnal Mortum <---- those are easy to listen for people that want to get into bm
Brume d'automne, Ciel Nordique, Flammentod, Inquisition, Manetheren, Nocternity, Veil, Vinterriket <------ what i m listening to a lot these last days
07.07.2006 - 19:50
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Ah yes, i forgot to say WHY i listen to it. The Atmosphere, and hypnotic darkness. Burzum is one of, if not my favorite black metal band, and the reason I love burzum so much is because of first, the lyrics (Nature and Philosophy), second almost every midpaced black metal band afterwards was influenced by him, and last the emotion with amazing imagery. Its the same with doom metal for me. Emotion is what should drive music anyways, especially in black metal - not fancy dancy guitar solos every ten seconds.
----
-Voltaire
07.07.2006 - 19:54
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll

For the record, Emperor are bloody good, especially their early albums.I cant wait to see them at WOA.

I see what you are saying, but there is a reason a lot of people like Emperor - its because they are good, and different than every other black metal band. Sure they arent my favorite but theyre still awesome, and i love to put in the Emperor EP and listen to the sweetness that ensues.
----
-Voltaire
08.07.2006 - 12:07
Throne of Rats
The feeling and the attitude towards the music. The first BM song I heard Open the Gates - Dark Funeral and loved it. Although I dont think much of Dark Funeral these days I still think that they have some great material. But the first album I got was Panzer Division - Marduk which is a killer album I must say. The creators of BM say that it is the feeling that the music gives them and that goes the same for the listener. When you put on a Darkthrone CD in a cold dark room the vibe and atmostphere gets to you, it is a great feeling.

I recomend - 1349, Burzum, Bathory, Carpathian Forest, Belphegor, Immortal, Marduk, Mayhem (of course) and Tsjuder - but they are just some of a countless list.
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
01.08.2006 - 03:34
Thrash666
I love the music part of black metal. The drumming and the guitar work are insane. I am not crazy about the vocals and the satanic theme behind it, but I can handle it.
The first black metal song I heard was "War" by Burzum. I like it all lot.
I like how there are a lot of cool black metal bands especially Immortal, Myahem, and Marduk.
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
02.08.2006 - 15:07
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I general I like BM, but it starts to bore me when I listen to it consequently. Still, the first band for me was Dimmu Borgir abour 4 or 5 years back with Mourning Palace (while making out with my ex bf, oh how romatic it was ). Dimmu are still among my faves in BM along with Moonsorrow and Summoning and early Theatres Des Vampires. I listen to other BM bands but they're just for a taste, none of them really impresses me so much I would be like WHOA BABY what's that I have a really wide taste in music and BM is just one of the genres I sometimes just crave for. Like when I'm totally pissed off and wanna kill someone I kid, I kid...
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
02.08.2006 - 15:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AnGina-- on 02.08.2006 at 15:07

I general I like BM, but it starts to bore me when I listen to it consequently. Still, the first band for me was Dimmu Borgir abour 4 or 5 years back with Mourning Palace (while making out with my ex bf, oh how romatic it was ). Dimmu are still among my faves in BM along with Moonsorrow and Summoning and early Theatres Des Vampires. I listen to other BM bands but they're just for a taste, none of them really impresses me so much I would be like WHOA BABY what's that I have a really wide taste in music and BM is just one of the genres I sometimes just crave for. Like when I'm totally pissed off and wanna kill someone I kid, I kid...

Good say, me to I had diferent taste of music, if YOU ALL wanna know PM me, and BM, moustly all start whit Dimmu Borgir, my firts BM band, well if 80tie blacxk counts then it was Merifull Fate and King Diamod, but real firts BM band was Immortal, of course Dimmu Borgit was first band what i had seen video,, and ok maybe Cradle of Filth but now, I listen moustly uncknow band, I discovere French and Geerman scene alos Austria so no time for Scandic because Marduk, Satyicon, Gorgoroth are overated and Im totaly how to expöain, I dont like thhem ány more, but for real Azagal take me into, tehn Bishof of Hexen, because of of name
----

apos;'
[image]
02.08.2006 - 16:56
Natural Disaster
Account deleted
It gives me superhero powers, evil powers. I got into it after my all-night walk in the graveyard. I heard some true Mayhem and drunk some Goat blood. Yeah and after that I got super evil kvlt powers.
Now I mostly listen to it that I can get more kvlt so it's easier for me to smash some christs.
02.08.2006 - 17:24
Bitch Boy
BM isn't my favorite metal genre but I enjoy listening to it. Maybe it's this powerful atmosphere what I like the most from BM.

The first band I heard was Borknagar with their "Empiricism". And the first "true" BM was Gorgoroth ("Under the sign of hell" to be more specific).
02.08.2006 - 18:49
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Written by Linak on 27.06.2006 at 00:01

My major reason is the atmosphere, black metal has a unique dark atmosphere that cannot be battled by any other genre, that's it I think... about the first black metal song I heard, well I can't go back all that way cause honestly I cannot remember, but Immortal was my first black metal band, the one that really got me into it, and it was such a long time ago, I honestly wish they would come back, but not as in release anohter album cause that would screw things up... maybe another tour? lol cause I got si pissed that I missed their concerts in Mexico.. you have no idea..

i agree with the atmosphere with BM, it has a type of feeling no genre has.. my first BM i listened to, i think was either Mayhem or Emperor, i dont remember the song..
07.08.2006 - 02:52
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
What makes me listen to black metal has to be the atmosphere and the agressiveness, the hate and the coldness.

The first time i listened to black metal it was at a house of a friend, he comes up to me holding Darkthrone fourth album,Transylvanian Hunger and tells me:"Have you ever listened to this album", i tell him that i have not listened to anything from black metal and he puts this album in the CD player. When the song starts i am like lost in space. What an amazing riff, the voice like Satan himself is singing. All these made me interested in black metal and the next time i had money i went and bought: Darkthrone- Transylvanian Hunger and A Blaze In The Northern Sky, Mayhem- De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and Emperor- In The Nightside Eclipse.

About the future of the genre, a band named Watain is really good. If anyone is interested and wants more information about them PM me.