Metal Storm logo
Concept albums

Original post

Posted by Dark Blood, 14.08.2008 - 22:29
I was just wondering.. I don't think I ever saw a topic about concept albums here, so I decided to make one myself.

So what I want with this, is for you to discuss your favourite concept albums. Tell me about the subject, the lyrics, if it corresponds musically with the concept, etc, just talk about it. Maybe we can get some recommendations too.

I'll just advance that the best albums for me are Metropolis Pt 2 from Dream Theater, In Search of Truth from Evergrey, and The Human Equation from the master Arjen (Ayreon).
19.11.2011 - 10:23
renai
Few favorites:
WASP-crimson idol
avantasia-metal opera(s)
aina-days of rising doom
rhapsody of fire-i think all their albums are concepted, I like their earlier works

and... concept albums of all.. Meat Loaf Bat trilogy....!
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
15.01.2012 - 03:13
lordchadi
King Diamond - voodoo
- The eye
- house of god
manowar - kings of metal
savatage - dead winter dead
06.03.2012 - 13:10
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Well the list is quite big, myself being very fond of concept albums... There's a list I made "20 concept albums" but I think I could name at least 50....
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
06.03.2012 - 18:01
Edmund Fogg
The greatest concept albums I've heard are

Touched by The Crimson King - Demons and Wizards/An album based on the Dark Tower Saga by Stephen King. I highly reccomend both the album and the books
Nightfall in Middle-Earth - Blind Guardian/Album based on the Silmarilion by Tolkien. A really Epic vibe. Too bad the in-betweens kinda ruins the album.
The Odyssey - Symphony X/Concept album based on Ulyss's trials after defying the Gods and his victorious return to Ithaca.

All pretty basic, but it's the only one I could think of right now
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
07.03.2012 - 01:02
Sentinel65
Welcome To My Nightmare - Alice Cooper
Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull (Can't decide what to think at the announcement of a sequal however)
Crack The Skye - Mastodon
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Metropolis Pt. 2 - Dream Theater
07.03.2012 - 02:51
@gent_-_orange
My favourite concept album would probably be Dimension Hatross by Voivod, The atmosphere created is great and perfectly fits the weird science fiction themes Voivod where going for on that album, not to mention the lack of filler and Piggy's odd and incredibly creative guitar work and a great production job that perfectly compliments the setting of the album (which is a weird Dystopian alternate dimension). It all Melds together to create a really great and memorable album and probably my favourite Progressive metal and concept album ever.

A close runner up is Ahab's Call of the Wretched Sea because of yet again strong songwriting and great atmosphere, you can imagine yourself falling overboard into the sea during a storm and being left helpless over wave's of crushing heaviness while you sink into the depths, The atmosphere created is great to say the least, And the Moby Dick story should give you enough reason to pay attention to lyrics as well.
07.03.2012 - 03:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by @gent_-_orange on 07.03.2012 at 02:51

My favourite concept album would probably be Dimension Hatross by Voivod, The atmosphere created is great and perfectly fits the weird science fiction themes Voivod where going for on that album, not to mention the lack of filler and Piggy's odd and incredibly creative guitar work and a great production job that perfectly compliments the setting of the album (which is a weird Dystopian alternate dimension). It all Melds together to create a really great and memorable album and probably my favourite Progressive metal and concept album ever.

Absolutely stunning concept album that one... and as you know by now, my favourite VoiVod album and, as you also know, I can't wait to witness this album being perfomred in its entirety by VoiVod at Roadburn in about five weeks time...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.03.2012 - 04:31
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.03.2012 at 03:59

Absolutely stunning concept album that one... and as you know by now, my favourite VoiVod album and, as you also know, I can't wait to witness this album being perfomred in its entirety by VoiVod at Roadburn in about five weeks time...

Hatross is a concept album? How so?
----
rekt
07.03.2012 - 04:33
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
The one that sticks out for me is The Galilean Satellites by Rosetta
Heavy duty thinking man's stuff there.
----
rekt
07.03.2012 - 04:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 07.03.2012 at 04:31

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.03.2012 at 03:59

Hatross is a concept album? How so?

I a loose sense of the word it is. Not as much Operation Mindcrime but all songs are about the same subject matter,
the sides of the album are called Prologue and Epilogue. It's not a coherent story but all songs deal with the same sort of, like I just said hahaha, subject matter.

"Dimension Hatröss is a loosely-tied concept album that deals with interdimensional travel, evolution, the effects of the rapid development of technology on a public that isn't ready for it and exploitation of this technology by tyrannical governments"
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.03.2012 - 04:55
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.03.2012 at 04:38

I a loose sense of the word it is. Not as much Operation Mindcrime but all songs are about the same subject matter,

Yea, that was gonna be my response. To me, a concept album tells a story. Rush 2112 and Hemispheres (the first sides anyways), Haken Aquarius, Galilean Satellites, Mindrime. But I can see Hatross and the like being viewed as conceptual.
----
rekt
07.03.2012 - 04:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 07.03.2012 at 04:55

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.03.2012 at 04:38

Yea, that was gonna be my response. To me, a concept album tells a story. Rush 2112 and Hemispheres (the first sides anyways), Haken Aquarius, Galilean Satellites, Mindrime. But I can see Hatross and the like being viewed as conceptual.

I have seen albums such as Blackwater Park being called a concept album here and that's even less of a concept album
Just go through the entire thread and you'll find some mind bafflingly called concept albums Like for example Mastodon's albums
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.03.2012 - 05:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
My God, rereading this thread qucikly someone even called Iron Maiden - POwerslave a concept album
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.03.2012 - 06:07
Necrox
Neurosis-Through Silver In Blood
It's so strong I can't even think of comparable concept albums
07.03.2012 - 14:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Necrox on 07.03.2012 at 06:07

One of my top top 10 cds of all time... btu I see no concept in it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.03.2012 - 15:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.03.2012 at 14:59

Written by Necrox on 07.03.2012 at 06:07

One of my top top 10 cds of all time... btu I see no concept in it.

People seem to consider almost everything a concept album nowadays. Hell, like I said two posts up, someone even mentioned Powerslave as a concept album in this thread
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.03.2012 - 15:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.03.2012 at 15:04

People seem to consider almost everything a concept album nowadays. Hell, like I said two posts up, someone even mentioned Powerslave as a concept album in this thread

Favorite albums => concept albums.

That seems to be the formula these days.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.03.2012 - 17:42
@gent_-_orange
Damn I totally forgot about Dreamweaver by Sabbat, Its an awesome thrash album on its own but if you add Martin Walkyier's great lyrics and wordplay it becomes immense, Walkyier has to be one of the best lyricists in metal and Sabbat are easily the best thrash band to come out of the UK.
07.03.2012 - 19:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Technically all albums are "concept" albums. Sort of. If a band spends 35+ minutes telling a story, it's a concept. Even if the concept is about sodomizing priests or whatever.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.03.2012 - 20:19
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.03.2012 at 19:39

Technically all albums are "concept" albums. Sort of. If a band spends 35+ minutes telling a story, it's a concept. Even if the concept is about sodomizing priests or whatever.

But there are some albums that have one song with lyrics about... I don't know, magical elves bathing in the sauna and then another song about the composer's low faith in humankind. None of the songs may have a topic in common with the others.
One example could be Mastodon's latest, which was going to be a sci-fi concept album and then Brent said "Fuck that" and they just wrote songs with random lyrics.

BTW, welcome back dude
07.03.2012 - 20:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 07.03.2012 at 20:19
But there some albums that have one song with lyrics about... I don't know, magical elves bathing in the sauna and then another song about the composer's low faith in humankind. None of the songs may have a topic in common with the others. One example could be Mastodon's latest, which was going to be a sci-fi concept album and then Brent said "Fuck that" and they just wrote songs with random lyrics. BTW, welcome back dude

That's what I mean. Like, if an album's topic is continued throughout, from beginning to end, then it can be considered a concept. Maybe not in the sense that it's a true conceptual piece about some classic Victorian literature or whatever, but as long as the lyrics are themed then ya.

And thanks. It's good to be back.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.03.2012 - 20:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.03.2012 at 19:39

Most metal albums don't spend 35+ minutes telling a story Most of them are a combination of 8 short stories (or whatever number of songs fit on the album)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.03.2012 - 20:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Ah I see what you mean then. A concept album should be like... ONE story told over x amount of songs, rather than a variety of short stories.
----
07.03.2012 - 20:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.03.2012 at 20:48

Ah I see what you mean then. A concept album should be like... ONE story told over x amount of songs, rather than a variety of short stories.

Yep Or have a recurring theme, without it telling a story (i.e. Dimension Hatross by VoiVod)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2012 - 18:03
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 07.03.2012 at 01:58

I like concept albums

but i don't like those redundant instrumentals, dialogues, intros, outros, interludes, moments of silence & stuff.

All albums should contain only songs.

How dull. What's the fun in that?
14.06.2012 - 22:44
vgmaster9
Fear factory's Demanufacture is a pretty good concept album. Give it a listen if you're interested.
15.06.2012 - 13:14
Written by vgmaster9 on 14.06.2012 at 22:44

Fear factory's Demanufacture is a pretty good concept album. Give it a listen if you're interested.

+1

try to listen to Mastodon crack the Skye It´s awesome
15.06.2012 - 13:39
As long as the story is good and the songs aren't boring, concept albums are awesome.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter