Metal Storm logo
Warning

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 16.08.2008 - 21:04
This is without a doubt the find of the year for me. I was hunting down bands like early Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus when I discovered them. What I didn't expect was to find a band that beat the two of them out of the water hands down. I'm of course talking about the 'Watching From a Distance' release. Though it isn't traditional doom like the afformentioned bands, it does deliver a very similar feel and atmosphere: utterly emotionally draining. Musically it's far slower and doomier than typical traditional doom, quite often being akin to funeral doom but each and every stroke of the guitar is spot on and combine perfectly with the immense vocals performed by Pat Walker. It should also be noted the album has garnered 97% from 7 reviews on Metal Archives.

Rather than take my word for it here's Lucas Ruijs' superb review:
http://metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=5786&page=&message_id=
16.03.2011 - 23:02
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
This is the first time I've logged on in nearly a year, and straight away discovering a gem like 40 Watt Sun is fantastic - I should definitely keep up with the doom scene more often if I'm missing out on bands like this! Not quite living up to Warning, although they're a hard act to follow. Still it's great to hear Pat Walker's vocals again in something new.
----
This is an outrage...
17.03.2011 - 18:49
IronAngel
Somehow I'd completely missed the existance of this band until now. I picked up 40 Watt Sun after many recommendations, and it knocked me out of my chair. After just a few spins, it's become my favorite metal album of the year. Just... wow. So I looked up Warning and Watching From A Distance, and more wow. How could I not know them before? I'm trembling on the floor under this music, here.

I don't know which I prefer, but I don't mind the lack of dramatic power in 40 Watt Sun at all. The dreaminess is mesmerising. Reminds me a little of Jesu in sound and atmosphere, in fact. Without the electronics, anyway. The Opiate Sun EP is a good comparison, but this is more epic.

Wow.
18.03.2011 - 21:52
marouco
This is fucking great along with Solstice...all in family.