Metal Storm logo
Throat-singing

18.08.2008 - 21:37
Ernis
狼獾
Has anyone heard about this particular vocal style used mostly by the native northern people such as the Eskimos and indigenous peoples of Northern Russia? I haven't still understood how it's possible to master this type of singing but if anyone's interested, here's a video of Tanya Tagaq, an Inuit vocalist from Canada (who also provided backing vocals for Björk on her album "Medulla").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uQBlHy4_Mg

I know this type of vocal technique may be hard to digest for some people....In fact for most people.....
19.08.2008 - 07:47
ß
Problem?
I first heard about Tanya Tagaq about a week ago on tv. I kind of enjoyed it's definatley out there and different but those are things that appeal to me sometimes.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
19.08.2008 - 22:22
TheBigRossowski
I wonder if she sounds like that when she's getting laid....

DEFINITELY weird to digest, its like disharmony in that sense. Everyone becomes accustomed to harmony and so when a band purposely employs disharmony they find it revolting.

I would have to listen to this a few times...and maybe drunk to finally accept it, haha.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
20.08.2008 - 02:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
What's so weird about this? I don't find it all that unique or surprising. I think I could like it, but only with music (not just chello).
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.08.2008 - 05:51
KryptoN
imperceptible
Throat-singing is quite interesting, I tried it once and it took a long time to get anything remotely similar out. I'm not a vocalist or anything so I did it just out of curiosity and I sucked hehe. Throat-singing can often be musically quite minimalistic, without any other instruments at all. While I find that interesting in itself, I prefer the more musical pieces.

A good band employing a throat-singing style is Yat-Kha from Tuva, Russia. They play an eastern style of folk/rock mix (throat-singing is just a part of their music, it's not really concentrated around throat-singing, and there are many other kinds of vocals used too). Check them out, recommended album: Tuva.Rock

There are some metal stuff out there with throat-singing, mainly in folk metal and the like but I can't remember where exactly I've heard it used. It gets sort of confusing too because some bands use instruments that sound like throat-singing but it's not.
15.09.2008 - 15:43
sweetleaf
Account deleted
haha, my friend used to do this at parties... she was particularly good at it. I didn't know the eskimos had some history tangled up in it. I just thought it was a cool party trick.
15.09.2008 - 19:23
FOOCK Nam
Check out Altan Urag, they use throat-singing. Worth listening mixed with Mongolia instrument.
02.11.2008 - 17:53
Ernis
狼獾
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x86SiUS7oA&feature=related
Found another interesting piece of music....enjoy people : )
It'd be awesome now with some metal instrumental side....