Metal Storm logo
Whitechapel, Metalcore, Deathcore...

02.09.2008 - 17:34
Conservationist

Whitechapel - This is Exile

I had a flashback to the early days of 1993. Death metal had just about peaked, and many people were looking for the next big thing -- in terms of style. Brutality was the catchphrase, and since millions of American kids had just rediscovered early Napalm Death thanks to a desperate search for the roots of underground metal, new bands were popping up that promised to be more brutal than before, usually by playing much faster and eliminating all melody. This flashback was prompted by hearing the hype about Whitechapel in one ear, and the reality played in the other.

Read the Rest: Whitechapel - This is Exile review

I'd have to say that these same rules apply to all of the music considered metalcore, of which it seems to me 'deathcore' is a subset, but it's all written about the same way and with the same result... more informed people avoid it! What brought this plague upon extreme metal? It's music that's "a mile wide, an inch deep."
03.09.2008 - 02:44
superDBZman
Account deleted
Smart people already know how crappy it is
04.09.2008 - 12:31
Bloodfrozen
A smart person would know it's all about personal taste. There are a lot of good reviews from this album out there too. If you're really into the genre i could imagine you can find it a pretty nice album. If you're not, you get reactions like yours. I don't agree with the statement that this is "a plague upon extreme metal". As most of these (sub)genres that end with -core deviate from the original Hardcore, but then with all kinds of other influences.
----
Bloodfrozen
Under the rise of the shining moon
Bloodfrozen
Through the night I'll come for you
To take your soul to hell
04.09.2008 - 22:07
ß
Problem?
Im a fan of a few core bands but most of them im unable to tolerate.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
04.09.2008 - 23:37
brapp32
Well said bloodfrozen.
05.09.2008 - 02:04
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
I think deathcore is unfairly hated, primarily because it's so readily associated with metalcore as they both share a very similar, if not identical, band image. As for the artistic validity of deathcore I couldn't comment, stylistically it seems to share an awful lot with regular death metal which I guess is a problem in itself as death metal is somewhat old and overdone nowadays but then again deathcore is a fairly new subgenre so considering it unoriginal may not be applicable.
06.09.2008 - 04:00
superDBZman
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.09.2008 at 02:04

I think deathcore is unfairly hated, primarily because it's so readily associated with metalcore as they both share a very similar, if not identical, band image. As for the artistic validity of deathcore I couldn't comment, stylistically it seems to share an awful lot with regular death metal which I guess is a problem in itself as death metal is somewhat old and overdone nowadays but then again deathcore is a fairly new subgenre so considering it unoriginal may not be applicable.

Deathcore deserves all the hate it gets. No feeling in the music, horribal breakdowns, ECT
06.09.2008 - 04:13
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.09.2008 at 04:00

No feeling in the music? I'm pretty sure whoever is making the music in question would indeed be enjoying their creation very much, regardless of whether or not others think it's bad music. This whole "feeling" thing is still very much lost on me and second time I've heard it mentioned (see Metallica thread). How exactly does one put feeling into their music. As far as I'm concerned as long as the person making it believes in what they're doing, regardless of the resulting quality, the feeling is definitely there.

Horrible breakdowns. Maybe. But worth hating for? I don't think so. Lower quality music only serves to make others strive to be more original. Unoriginal sounds come from all different directions, not just breakdowns.
06.09.2008 - 04:28
superDBZman
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.09.2008 at 04:13

Written by Guest on 06.09.2008 at 04:00

No feeling in the music? I'm pretty sure whoever is making the music in question would indeed be enjoying their creation very much, regardless of whether or not others think it's bad music. This whole "feeling" thing is still very much lost on me and second time I've heard it mentioned (see Metallica thread). How exactly does one put feeling into their music. As far as I'm concerned as long as the person making it believes in what they're doing, regardless of the resulting quality, the feeling is definitely there.

Horrible breakdowns. Maybe. But worth hating for? I don't think so. Lower quality music only serves to make others strive to be more original. Unoriginal sounds come from all different directions, not just breakdowns.

Feeling is hard to describe but Anouther thing Death Metal has that deathcore doesent is Atmosphere, most old school death has great dark brutal atomospheres in side of the riffing that contributes to certain feelings.

Deathcore has really no atmosphere within there riffs, it feels bland, generic and done just because everyone else is doing it.
06.09.2008 - 22:19
EaTNaLiVe666
Account deleted
Whitechapel isn't that bad of a band.. I heard them live a couple weeks ago and I thought they did pretty good.
07.09.2008 - 04:23
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
I kinda like Whitechapel, but I'm not totally sure how 'deep' they are. But they're full of energy and yes, brutality, but very entertaining to listen to IMO.

But I think the "metal" part of "metalcore" implies a bit more melody and intricacy than simply "hardcore" or just "death" metal. So I think "deathcore" is an appropriate description and I kind of embrace it.
10.09.2008 - 15:36
MathC
Account deleted
People that are orgasming all over this band are idiots and people that just whine about metalcore/deathcore just because it's scene are idiots as well.
12.09.2008 - 03:07
SK921
Account deleted
In my opinion, Deathcore is like watered down beer.
12.09.2008 - 17:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 10.09.2008 at 15:36

people that just whine about metalcore/deathcore just because it's scene are idiots as well.

I agree on that... I don't understand people that hate a genre without any specific reason.

It seems like hating anything with a -core on it's name is popular nowdays, pathetic.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.09.2008 - 00:00
SK921
Account deleted
I don't know enough about metalcore or deathcore to say its just full of scene kids I also have a few friends who like it. Its just a lot of the stuff seems watered down.
13.09.2008 - 02:26
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Quote:
What brought this plague upon extreme metal?

Wanting to be something special without any effort. Simple way of doing that is make stuff louder and more "brutal".

People talk about Motorhead and Discharge, for example, and what made them so special but it wasn't purely because they were extreme at the time. They had created something of musical worth and with some sort of inspiration and originality. That's not the same as some shitty band that adopts every cliche of their chosen genre, plays the same crap but tries to make the vocals sound a bit more extreme and have the production a bit louder.

All these bands trying to be more and more extreme and outdo each other at being "brutal" and I'm still yet to hear anything that comes close to the ferocity of the first Discharge album.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
23.07.2009 - 06:35
wormdrink414
Elite
We should, and it seems that we already do, attach the suffix -core to all that sucks.
23.07.2009 - 17:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by wormdrink414 on 23.07.2009 at 06:35

We should, and it seems that we already do, attach the suffix -core to all that sucks.

That would mean that I personally would have to attach the suffix -core to all Folk Metal and also to bands such as Wintersun, children of bodom, or something which isn't really a band Dethklok.
So, your suggestion is just downright stupid.
Good old fashioned hardcore is brilliant and has the suffix -core.
It seems like you're one of those newcomers to metal that tries to fit in by acting all cool concerning what they dislike and labelling that as core. Mmm, you're just a scene kid. Ys, that's right SCENE kid
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.07.2009 - 20:49
Galar
Wicked Mung
After seeing Summer slaughter tour, it is evident to me that ALL OF THESE BANDS sound identical. Five breakdowns in each song, all of which sound exactly the same. Thanks, but no thanks.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
24.07.2009 - 04:53
wormdrink414
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.07.2009 at 17:34

Written by wormdrink414 on 23.07.2009 at 06:35

That would mean that I personally would have to attach the suffix -core to all Folk Metal and also to bands such as Wintersun, children of bodom, or something which isn't really a band Dethklok.
So, your suggestion is just downright stupid.
Good old fashioned hardcore is brilliant and has the suffix -core.
It seems like you're one of those newcomers to metal that tries to fit in by acting all cool concerning what they dislike and labelling that as core. Mmm, you're just a scene kid. Ys, that's right SCENE kid

If by "scene" you mean fucking awesome, your absolutely right.
Response to your attack of Dethklok: despite being a band in a spirit akin to the likes of Spinal Tap, is 1000000000000 (that's 1 trillion) times more metal than Whitechapel. That and Corpsegrinder is not only a fan of the show but a contributing voice, and who is more metal than Corpsegrinder? No one.

Allow me to elaborate on why I don't like Whitechapel.

I don't think you understand that the breakdown is the plague to which bands resort when they lack the musical imagination to create the movement that warrants headbanging. It is the ultimate form of laziness and is, ultimately, insulting. This is not to suggest that breakdowns do not, in very infrequent circumstances, sound brutal. Breakdowns can, on occasion, get a bang or two from my that bone that protects my brain and, among countless other things, is attached to my neck. It is when a band (like Whitechapel) relies so heavily on them to induce a state of metal-aggression (the state that most metal fans seek) that I get pissed. Granted, I don't ever have to listen to the band.

On to the fucking abomination that is Whitechapel's vocalist. He is, and I think everyone should agree, the talentless bastard, less-talented brother of Trevor Strand from The Black Dahlia Murder. He looks like the Chiodos fan from my high school and sounds like one of those pig squeal vocalists for whom I have only pure hatred. In other words, he sucks.

Granted, once again, I don't ever have to listen to the band so apologize I will for using space in this forum. I suppose you must want to get back to your discussion on which type of one note three pick breakdown sounds best.
17.09.2009 - 03:06
brapp32
I guess you have never really listened to whitechapel because their singer doesn't really do the pig squeal thing(depised icon,all shall perish). Just taking a look at some of the bands you like I don't really see how you criticize their vocals. As for the way guy looks who gives a shit. Who are you to judge?? As much as I love the breakdowns there is much more to it then that. Breakdowns consume maybe one tenth of the music. It always makes me laugh when people say it all sounds the same. I can say that about any genre of music. Some bands are copy cats but there are some that actually bring something new to the table.
18.09.2009 - 21:12
SerratedSyringe
Saying that all deathcore, metalcore, (or any other kind of "core") bands are inherently bad is incredibly ludicrous. A band should be judged on an individual basis, not by the subgenre it's been lobbed into, and certainly not by the fan base associated with that subgenre. It is comparable to judging an individual based on the stereotypes commonly associated with their race or creed. There are deathcore bands I enjoy, and deathcore bands that I can't stand. There are deathcore fans I am friends with and deathcore fans that are douche bags who can't see beyond their own snotty pre-teen deathcore noses.

And for the record, I enjoy pig squeals.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
21.09.2009 - 08:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I saw them live a while ago and for some reason bought This is Exile, and both were pretty lame tbh. But, I recently burned their debut album and it's way better - more linear and to the point deathcore that offers more than just breakdowns.
21.07.2010 - 17:05
Demonmayonnaise
I actually really enjoy Whitechapel, and for the most part deathcore in general.
31.07.2010 - 01:09
Galar
Wicked Mung
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 21.07.2010 at 17:05

I actually really enjoy Whitechapel, and for the most part deathcore in general.

I'd like to know. Why?

I mean...I could understand why new metal heads are attracted to it, but...
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
02.08.2010 - 15:12
Demonmayonnaise
Written by Galar on 31.07.2010 at 01:09

Written by Demonmayonnaise on 21.07.2010 at 17:05

I'd like to know. Why?

I mean...I could understand why new metal heads are attracted to it, but...

I have no idea why. I dont like the bands that just over use pig squeels and breakdowns, but there are a few deathcore bands that I can actually listen to.
04.08.2010 - 02:37
Puff
The Forlorn
I just wonder how them Metaldeathwhatevercore lover choose they're favorite band.
Seriously They pretty much all sound the same. They must have a strange criteria of selection or absolutely none at all.
Probably they could say the same for Death or Black considering the over abondance of bands nowdays.
But whatever I just dont think these -core bands as the feeling I need when I listen to music.
Beneath The Massacre seemed to be the only band to capture my attention. Not Only for They're total wankery but to the mechanical and precise atmosphere to it.
I don't mind breakdowns at all. I just hate these one note open string breakdown that comes 2-4 times in each song.
Vocalwise everybody imitates each other. Same Growl, Prononciation, Pattern and the innevitable Squeel.

Hardcore was an awsome genre before it died, or at least since it was used to tag shitty bands like hatebreed.
----
05.08.2010 - 17:52
Demonmayonnaise
Written by Puff on 04.08.2010 at 02:37

I just wonder how them Metaldeathwhatevercore lover choose they're favorite band.
Seriously They pretty much all sound the same. They must have a strange criteria of selection or absolutely none at all.
Probably they could say the same for Death or Black considering the over abondance of bands nowdays.
But whatever I just dont think these -core bands as the feeling I need when I listen to music.
Beneath The Massacre seemed to be the only band to capture my attention. Not Only for They're total wankery but to the mechanical and precise atmosphere to it.
I don't mind breakdowns at all. I just hate these one note open string breakdown that comes 2-4 times in each song.
Vocalwise everybody imitates each other. Same Growl, Prononciation, Pattern and the innevitable Squeel.

Hardcore was an awsome genre before it died, or at least since it was used to tag shitty bands like hatebreed.

The bands with the most br00t@l logos are my favorites. hahahah!
05.08.2010 - 18:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
!J.O.E.!'s posts are spot on. Totally agreed on everything. xD
05.08.2010 - 18:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.08.2010 at 18:33

!J.O.E.!'s posts are spot on. Totally agreed on everything. xD

Forgot I even commented on this thread actually. Seems I was prone to deeper thought back then. These days it just seems a bit futile when it comes to topics like deathcore; most people have already made their minds up about it, probably without even bothering to do a little exploration into the genre.