Metal Storm logo
Gorguts

17.05.2006 - 08:11
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I´m sure there are some fans of Gorguts here. I simply love "Obscura" which is among my favourite albums at the moment. I don´t care that much about their other albums, although I have listened to "Erosion of Sanity" and "From Wisdom to Hate" and I quite like them, also. But "Obscura" is definitely a masterpiece and IMO most of other metal albums pale in comparison.
17.05.2006 - 09:59
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Ah yes, Gorguts. What a band. Obscura is one album that tells conventional Music Theory and metal music in general to go and shove a thick white picket fence up their rear end. Luc Lemay is a genius, and it doesn't help conventional music that Dan Mongrain is in the band
Obscura will always be my favourite Gorguts album, despite the fact that every single album is unique and diverse.

BTW, go look at some of the bass tabs for Obscura and go have a heart attack
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
17.05.2006 - 11:59
^Necrolust^
Well when I listened some of their latest albums I wasn't too impressed..But when one day,by chance,I listened to their first album,Considered Dead I was fucking amazed.Technical death metal the way it should be.It's a classic,a worthy listen.
----
Sin my soul,blesses with fire....
17.05.2006 - 18:29
arnibes
Account deleted
I only have the first 2 albums.

Considered Death and The Corrosion Of Sanity in a Roadrunner double thingy.
Really enjoying Death Metal.

They're also going to release and live dvd. Live In Rotterdam. I'm looking forward to. Always nice to see a dvd made in Holland.

And some ex-gorguts members have set up the band/project Negativa. This was the latest news I read in an e-mail which was sent to somebody, and set it on a forum:

Hey Ed!!

Whats up man!?

About NEGATIVA,

Things are coming slowly...but we move on!

we have 5 songs done so far, here's the titles:

L'éloge de l'ombre

Omniferium

Taedium vitae

Rebellion

Chaos in motion

Lately we change bassplayer,Dominic from AUGURY coudn't make it, he was too busy with his 2 other bands.

so, from now on, Miguel Valade (Ex-ion dissonance) fill the spot,

he is a cool guy and he his a very good bass player!

We want to enter studio in late April or May to record our debut demo...we will see if things will be ready!

Huge thanks for the support man!

That's about it for now!

Say hi to everyfriends of yours!!

Big Steeve
18.05.2006 - 21:03
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
This band surely deserves more comments. "Obscura" is simply fantastic and besides music has also really cool and kind of schizophrenic lyrics and One of the best artworks I have ever seen - the picture in the front of the booklet is disturbingly brilliant
18.05.2006 - 22:27
Nokkkkkkkkkkkkk
Account deleted
Yep, Gorguts rank high...

But for some reasons my expectations for Negativa are low. Can't say why, really, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
29.06.2006 - 19:27
tuerda
I would love to say that Gorguts changed the face of music forever, but unfortunately almost nobody has followed their lead.
Anyways, Negativa is going to knock us all on our asses with their overwhelming awesomeness, and maybe then their highly disonant message will be heard.
01.07.2006 - 04:59
Bloodshed
Account deleted
I've heard there's a label that will be releasing a live Gorguts album, if they do I'll be the first in line to buy it. this band fucking shocked me when I bought obscura, it is always sad to see bands breaking up for horrid tragedies
27.08.2006 - 06:20
LethargyMan
I bought From Wisdom to Hate a few years ago and I wasn't too entranced by it.

However, Obscura is fucking nuts! The songs are insanely complex... the vocals are some of the most harsh and strained I've ever heard.

I look forward to see what Negativa come up with. I don't know too many specifics about the project, but the name seems like a reference to Obscura, so hopefully they release some good mindfuck albums.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
27.08.2006 - 08:20
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
I am not a BIG fan of this band , i enjoy other tech dm band more then this band. But seriously the album'obscure' PWN all other tech dm band albums ... this album is in my all time favorite from last few years
24.09.2006 - 08:27
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I have both "Considered Dead" and "Obscura" on my computer. "Considered Dead", which was pure death metal, was pretty subpar in my opinion. "Obscura", however, was avant garde death metal, and that album is, I should say, "bat fuck insane"! The album is so utterly complex that it gives you a good reason to be scared. Really, I love "Obscura". It is just that good. Too bad Gorguts broke up. We won't be able to hear any great music that could have been.
24.09.2006 - 21:57
Mega-Slayer
I saw the roadrunner two from the vault release of their first 2 albums,for only $10.I almost purchased it,but I would rather have the official albums,are they out of print and rare?Also are they classics?
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
20.11.2006 - 23:49
Mega-Slayer
Well their first two classics are on ebay right now,and both are at $50 god damnit.I guess i'll have to settle for the two from the vault,though there is news on Displeased about their re-releasing them soon,but it was posted may 2006,so who knows.
----

12.02.2007 - 22:33
Gibbler
Account deleted
Obscura is the most demented album recorded. Took me a few years to really "get it". So many things to digest.
The production on the album is amazing. The bass tone is just monstrous. Can't get enough of it.

One of the most diverse DM bands around. Glad to see Negativa going too.
16.03.2007 - 17:32
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
When i started out listenin to extreme stuff i thought gorguts was a goregrind band
but when i heard obscura i was just fuckin blown away great band guess under rated (coz of people like me lol)
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
16.03.2007 - 22:20
Mega-Slayer
Written by Spirit Molecule on 16.03.2007 at 17:32

When i started out listenin to extreme stuff i thought gorguts was a goregrind band
but when i heard obscura i was just fuckin blown away great band guess under rated (coz of people like me lol)

By their name they might be,I never understood the science behind their name.Alot poeple I mention them to think they have a really dumb name,if only they would give "Considered Dead" a listen.
----

17.03.2007 - 01:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good band, good quality band and also instrumentsv and lyrics, thats kind of death metal I like ist something avangard and intelectual. thay and Quo Badis are great
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.03.2007 - 19:31
Stuff1056
Account deleted
I didn't really like them at first, but their sound has grown on me recently.
17.03.2007 - 21:16
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Really good band from the songs I've heard. I'm going to pick up the re-releases of the first two albums soon, but it will cost me quite a bit, because with tax, they are probably about $32.00 each. MAybe i'll just settle for the Two From The Vault, it's a lot cheaper.
12.10.2007 - 03:00
ylside
Staff
Anyone heard the Negativa EP ?

Oh and Luc Lemay Myspace Somehow "dissonant" classical music. I love it.
12.10.2007 - 09:06
Too many fail.
I don't understand why people pick obscura over FWTH, the latter is just so much more polished and rehearsed. Obscura sounds like the guys were just getting into writing that kind of music and it didnt turn out that great. FWTH on the other hand is one of my fav records.
And I can't stand negativa, a bit too out there.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
26.10.2007 - 08:41
Sepulchral Oath
Account deleted
Written by Mega-Slayer on 20.11.2006 at 23:49

Well their first two classics are on ebay right now,and both are at $50 god damnit.I guess i'll have to settle for the two from the vault,though there is news on Displeased about their re-releasing them soon,but it was posted may 2006,so who knows.

The rereleases are definitely available now. You should be able to find them for like 15 dollars or so each.
26.10.2007 - 08:44
Sepulchral Oath
Account deleted
Written by spirit_inblack on 17.03.2007 at 21:16

Really good band from the songs I've heard. I'm going to pick up the re-releases of the first two albums soon, but it will cost me quite a bit, because with tax, they are probably about $32.00 each. MAybe i'll just settle for the Two From The Vault, it's a lot cheaper.

I'd go for the rereleases man. I'm personally not a fan of the Two From the Vault series...I've heard that although you do get both CDs and i think the album booklets for both too...these double packs dont contain the original liner notes or something. That might just be for the Suffocation Effigy/Pierced set though...im not really sure. But to each his own i suppose.
03.12.2007 - 14:23
Kharn
Account deleted
Written by Too many fail. on 12.10.2007 at 09:06

I don't understand why people pick obscura over FWTH

I agree, i got "from wisdom to hate" and wasn't sure what to make of it, then it turned out to be one of my favourite albums. it's so well structured and so mood creating.

Does anyone know if the gorguts DVD is coming out anytime soon?
Or has it been canned?
04.12.2007 - 22:17
Cut-Throat
Considered Dead is their best album! it stays to true to death metal!
05.12.2007 - 01:52
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Written by Too many fail. on 12.10.2007 at 09:06

I don't understand why people pick obscura over FWTH, the latter is just so much more polished and rehearsed. Obscura sounds like the guys were just getting into writing that kind of music and it didnt turn out that great. FWTH on the other hand is one of my fav records.
And I can't stand negativa, a bit too out there.

Of course FWTH is more polished and I guess this is exactly the reason why I like Obscura more. FWTH just isn't so fucked up as Obscura and because of that fails to create a permanent impression. Obscura leaves you wondering, FWTH just makes you think: "That's a good record". But you can say that about many albums. I should attach a huge "IMO" here, of course.
Anyway, Obscura is definitely among my favourite albums. Nothing is more awesome than two seconds with a violin in "Earthly Love" DT should fuck off - "Systematic Chaos" is a title that belongs to Gorguts.
29.12.2007 - 08:33
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
sometimes i think that i'm the only gorguts fan out there who CAN'T stand the last two albums (obscura and f.w.t.h.). anyway, considered dead is fantastic, but the erosion of sanity is probably the crowning glory of death metal, you can play your death metal as good as you want, but the crown belongs to gorguts. i like to listen to them while i cook, never could find out why :/
05.01.2008 - 03:56
Drop Out
Account deleted
Haven't listened to em in a while but i reckon 'considered dead' and 'the erosion of sanity' are still some fine material.
15.03.2008 - 23:30
Pinusar
Account deleted
I've listened to them a few times on lastFM, thought about getting some records by them.

The first time I heard them I found the music really click with me, it seeming enjoyable, technical and original, while during the second listen I was sort of overwhelmed by the chaos of the music and it somehow sounded harsher than I would expect. Anyway, that was quite cool but not most enjoyable experience(and I've had quite similar with some electronic or Krautrock bands, maybe it was because my attention wasn't completely focused on the music, but neither is it usually, now that I think of it).
16.03.2008 - 03:25
Written by Guest on 15.03.2008 at 23:30

I've listened to them a few times on lastFM, thought about getting some records by them.

The first time I heard them I found the music really click with me, it seeming enjoyable, technical and original, while during the second listen I was sort of overwhelmed by the chaos of the music and it somehow sounded harsher than I would expect. Anyway, that was quite cool but not most enjoyable experience(and I've had quite similar with some electronic or Krautrock bands, maybe it was because my attention wasn't completely focused on the music, but neither is it usually, now that I think of it).

You should check out Erosion of Sanity. It is techical, but I wouldn't call it chaotic or harsh.