Metal Storm logo
Albums not expected from a certain artist.

25.09.2008 - 17:03
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
I'm curious to know whether there are more examples of band or artist that have gone on to release something completely out of character with everything else they've released. I mean examples that make Beherit's ambient material or Celtic Frost's glam rock albm seem normal. These albums are fairly understandable. 'Cold Lake' still had a CF vibe about it and Beherit's ambient material isn't a million mile away from 'Drawing Down the Moon'.

A few examples that I know of:
--Neil young - Trans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywSZ-g3BIpI
--Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr0KkzbbqPI
--Discharge - Grave New World: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5kfDVDT9NY

I don't know a great deal about Lou Reed. I've been told he was very experimental and it's not really that insane.

The Discharge clip doesn't do it justice. Live, it sounds surprisingly close to classic Discharge compared to the album. I suggest downloading 'grave new world'. [Download link not allowed - Google "discharge grave new world" - First link]

It needn't be just metal. This seemed the appropriate forum to post it in.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
25.09.2008 - 17:23
Scottgun
Lou Reed is a pretty weird guy, so I agree, MMM makes perfect sense.

Yes' 90125 was unexpected and out of character. Not only did everyone assume the band was dead, no one thought a commercially-oriented Yes could succeed.

KISS' Music from "The Elder"--KISS doing a concept album?! As producer Bob Ezrin put it, "We were on drugs...We should have been shot."

But the crown has to go to Pat Boone in a Metal Mood: No More Mr. Nice Guy.--Pat Boone singing "Holy Diver"?! Run awaaaaayy!
----

Whenever a musician is interested in self-expression you know it's gonna suck--Robert Fripp
25.09.2008 - 17:26
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Sorry, but we don't allow links to rapidshare and such. You can offer to send the link through PM by request though, but I doubt anyone that wants it wouldn't just google it straight away.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.09.2008 - 18:35
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i never anticipated Judas Priest making a rock opera about Nostradamus. not something i would expect from the same band that put out screaming for vengeance.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
25.09.2008 - 18:48
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Viggo Mortensen - I never expected him to be a musician, let alone to collaborate with Buckethead on 7 albums.
26.09.2008 - 06:47
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Introspekrieg on 25.09.2008 at 18:48

Viggo Mortensen - I never expected him to be a musician, let alone to collaborate with Buckethead on 7 albums.

Musician, poet,actor speaks like 6 languages...
Do you knwo which Buckethead albums?
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.09.2008 - 06:51
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 26.09.2008 at 06:47

I think he collaborated with Buckethead on some of his own releases... here is a wiki link to one of them LINK
26.09.2008 - 06:55
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Introspekrieg on 26.09.2008 at 06:51

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 26.09.2008 at 06:47

I think he collaborated with Buckethead on some of his own releases... here is a wiki link to one of them LINK

Thanks!
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.09.2008 - 16:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Well there's quite a lot of those albums that gives you a face of "WTF?"

The debut of Alcest was something really surprising for most of the people.
Theatre of Tragedy's Musique was also a surprise for the fans [an awful one tbh...] but Assembly was really good IMO.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.09.2008 - 20:09
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
My Dying Bride's album 34.788%...Complete to me is something I never would've expected them to put out...with a song like Herion Chic...um, Anal Cunt's Picnic Of Love was something not expected from them...it doesn't go along with any of their discography at all...and although this was one of the facets that made up Opeth's sound, many of us didn't think they were going to have a release of nothing but that with an album like Damnation...
05.10.2008 - 00:49
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Nostradamus was a touch unexpected. thats all i can think of at present.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
05.10.2008 - 18:39
Branzig
Darkthrone writing a "new-wave-of-blackmetal-punk-death-rock-metal" album (The Cult is Alive).

Even bigger surprise? I like their new-wave-of-blackmetal-punk-death-rock-metal more than their "classic" period albums!

The Cult is Alive and F.O.A.D. FTW!
----
In Grind We Crust
06.10.2008 - 14:59
Holosade
Account deleted
Based on this thread I actually checked out 34.788% Complete and in particular the song Heroin Chic, it just seemed like it was a little pointless - trying to make an angry song but then actually censoring out the angry bits. Call it art if you like but it just seems rubbish to me.

Not including all the BM bands that have turned industrial, special mentions go to Thou Shalt Suffer, Darkthrone, Satyricon, Ildjarn and Ulver for complete changes in direction over the years.

PS: Pantera
06.10.2008 - 17:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 06.10.2008 at 14:59

Based on this thread I actually checked out 34.788% Complete and in particular the song Heroin Chic, it just seemed like it was a little pointless - trying to make an angry song but then actually censoring out the angry bits. Call it art if you like but it just seems rubbish to me.

I doubt that the point of the song was to be angry. I just found it catchy and funny.... and extremely sexy.
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.10.2008 - 03:54
Gigginova
Account deleted
I think that Opeth did an orechestrated album covering their older songs.
09.10.2008 - 15:05
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.10.2008 at 17:21

Written by Guest on 06.10.2008 at 14:59

I doubt that the point of the song was to be angry. I just found it catchy and funny.... and extremely sexy.

My feelings exactly...that song really doesn't go along with the rest of the album either eh?
09.10.2008 - 15:13
TheBigRossowski
Opeth's Damnation! Of course the band has always had that experimental side, but when Damnation came out, the whole album was SOFT. I don't have a problem with it, but found it rather interesting.

Cryptopsy- The 'Light-in-the-Loafers' KING (my mom said that all the time, lol). Wow Cryptopsy...WOW!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
09.10.2008 - 15:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 09.10.2008 at 15:05

My feelings exactly...that song really doesn't go along with the rest of the album either eh?

Yeah.. that song is really weird, but the effects when he curses and the female vocals.... Damn, what a great song.
----
Rod, let me love you.