Metal Storm logo
Mexican Metalstormers

Original post

Posted by Fhuesc, 28.09.2008 - 04:56
This is the new thread, the other one was locked cuz it reached the posts limit.

I was asking if someone knows a Metal bar or something like that, that pays well.
03.12.2009 - 08:12
nana.MD
Star-Queen
There's a bar near chopo that is called el español or something like that, i've been there a couple of times and u mostly hear rock but sometimes there's metal...idk the street but it's pretty near the subway, just ask someone around

there's some good bands out there, personally i like them (yes i'm the only fan listed lol )

http://metalstorm.ee/bands/band.php?band_id=3637&bandname=Arkhe
(idk how to post the link)

mariachi songs?? uhm...cant picture that...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
03.12.2009 - 09:24
Kei
Written by Uller on 03.12.2009 at 07:12

It will be awesome for a band to play mexican folk metal, like huasteco metal, mariachi metal, even cumbia metal (not like the video one) would be interesting, something like finntroll but with mexican folk.

You might be joking, but it's something I've been thinking about a lot.

I have a love hate relationship with Mexican music, I think it's like a lot of cultural music, where some of it you just have to have grown up with it to love it. Still, what I've heard and I've liked I would love to see elements fused with metal. Particularly Hausteca/Jarocho, maybe even huapango. I'd also like to hear some Argentinian tango fusion too, but maybe that's just me.
----
Author of Femme Metale on Metal Chicks.
Follow me on Metal Chicks: http://metalchicks.ca/Keinans_Blog/
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/?ref=logo
Twitter: @KeinanLynx
05.12.2009 - 04:03
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well there are some cool mexican bands, and with cool I mean outstanding, all of them have lyrics mostly in English (also some of them are in Spanish).

- The Chasm (Death)
- The Arkitecht (Prog)
- Arkhe (Tech Death)
- Elfonía (Prog metal/rock)
- Ticket To Hell (Thrash)
- Lost Reverie (Instrumental stuff, kinda difficult for me to define the subgenre)
- Majestic Downfall (Doom)
- Maligno (Stoner/doom)
- Aglarond (Gothic/Doom)

Well just my thoughts

BTW I dislike soccer
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
05.12.2009 - 05:00
Zuzuz0r
Elfonía are great, it's a shame that they split-up, Lost Reverie could be one of the best new mexican bands actually, I think its genre could be progressive post-rockish metal. Lol, from Aglarond I knew in real life one of their ex-singers which studied at the same university as mine. You forgot about Agora, they are great, and they sing in spanish, and also Ulveheim are great, they are a Black/Viking Metal band that kinda reminds me of Enslaved, and yeah, quite strange to see a Viking band from Mexico, who also sing in norwegian.

BTW, are you guys having the same cold weather that I have?
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
05.12.2009 - 08:13
Kei
Fractalia isn't too shabby if you like female fronted metal. I think the vocalist has potential, at least. I'm a prog girl so I get bored easily, but I'm always a sucker for a nice voice male or female.

I'll have to check out those other Mexican bands, I've only heard Elfonia and Arkhe.
----
05.12.2009 - 10:12
nana.MD
Star-Queen
It's freezing here!! love it

they just told me about a band called "salvador y los leones" that plays some mexican stuff with a little bit of rock...have u heard them?? they seem to be pretty popular but i searched for them in youtube and didnt like them
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
05.12.2009 - 20:41
Uller
I found a band called "Death Scite" its the best mexican band that i've heard (maybe because melodic death is my favorite metal genre) check them out.

BTW Lost reverie reminds my of Alcest, is not bad.
I love cold weather, but i hate this Hot-cold weather of the mexico city, when there is no sun, its cold, but if you are under the sun, it burns like hell and is so hot!!!
----
06.12.2009 - 00:22
Kei
Written by nana.MD on 05.12.2009 at 10:12

It's freezing here!! love it

they just told me about a band called "salvador y los leones" that plays some mexican stuff with a little bit of rock...have u heard them?? they seem to be pretty popular but i searched for them in youtube and didnt like them

Just listened to these guys on youtube. For me, they took the worst aspects of this culture's music and made it a bit heavier (that's an entirely subjective opinion, and sorry if I offend anyone with it). The guitar playing is pretty solid, the guy's vocals are mediocre, but they kind of went a bit too safe with that style choice. I hate hate hate with a passion beyond explanation, Mexican love ballads. But, 90% of the people here seem to love them, which is why I'll be shot by everyone for saying so within a 50 mile radius including my partner lol, -and- why these guys will be more popular.

I think this type of song writing is reminiscent of early 90's American pop ballads ("I've Had the Time of My Life" etc). Horrid things, which essentially all sound the same to me. I'm told that the important thing to the population here regarding music are the lyrics, and the reason that even if songs may have similar sounds and chord progressions, they'll still be everlastingly popular. I like good lyrics as much as the next person, but to me the song itself has to be solid, and rehashing the same crap 1000 times just doesn't cut it with me.

What I imagine when I think of fusing hard rock or metal with Mexican folk, is something more like what many folk metal groups do like Finntroll, Eluveitie, even Mago de Oz... that they use the original instrumentation and incorporate these for intros or overlays on top of and between a textured and heavy score. If I was going to take on something like this, I'd be hooking up with a group like Chucumite, and probably mostly for instrumental although I do enjoy when they sing on the classic songs.

@Uller

Agree about the hot cold weather here, I'd rather it just stay cold lol.

Is there somewhere to listen to tracks from Death Scite?
----
06.12.2009 - 00:33
Uller
You can listen to Death Scythe here on their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/deathscytheband
----
10.12.2009 - 03:38
Zuzuz0r
There are also some nice Prog Rock bands like Iconoclasta, Cast, Cabezas de Cera and so on.
----
Then God is not dead.
11.12.2009 - 10:34
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Zuzuz0r on 10.12.2009 at 03:38

There are also some nice Prog Rock bands like Iconoclasta, Cast, Cabezas de Cera and so on.

Puff, Cabezas de Cera are a great band, they are fucking good, even King Crimson says that.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
12.12.2009 - 06:11
Zuzuz0r
Guys, I've found the best mexican band, or solo artist I must say, he just does everything, just check it :

----
Then God is not dead.
14.12.2009 - 02:18
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Kapaz!!! jajajaja, "cuidado con los cables"
Man I miss Acapulco I used to see those guys everyday, some of the poorest and happiest people I've known. Where was this shot? Los Cabos? Mazatlan?
14.12.2009 - 07:29
Fhuesc
I know i write this every year, but i still hate em, so here it is: i hate those frigging romeritos, specially if they have shrimp.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
14.12.2009 - 08:37
Zuzuz0r
Hahaha, romeritos with shrimp are nice , lol, and I also like fish seasoned with romeritos.
----
Then God is not dead.
16.12.2009 - 02:18
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I don't like romeritos, or guacalao
----
16.12.2009 - 06:24
Fhuesc
Agree, guacalao is so salty that sucks.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
18.12.2009 - 20:13
Uller
I like romeritos, but i hate guacalao, and i hate turkey!!!
----
18.12.2009 - 21:16
Zuzuz0r
Guacalao = bacalao?, if it's that, I've never tried it, but turkey is great , lol, if you hate turkey, then you couldn't live in Germany, my brother, who's there at this moment, says that eating turkey in Germany is equal to eating chicken in Mexico.
----
Then God is not dead.
21.12.2009 - 17:38
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Written by Uller on 02.12.2009 at 22:37

@Linak: What? What's a suomi explosion? suomi is how you call a person from finland no?

Sorry for the late reply, heh. I meant it was all stuff from Finland, you know children of bodom and rasmus and stuff. I'm gonna sound like a shit bitch here but Finland is in my book for bad music countries. With some exceptions of course, there are some good bands from Finland as well, i just can't seem to think of one at the moment.
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
21.12.2009 - 18:30
Zuzuz0r
Written by Linak on 21.12.2009 at 17:38

Written by Uller on 02.12.2009 at 22:37

@Linak: What? What's a suomi explosion? suomi is how you call a person from finland no?

Sorry for the late reply, heh. I meant it was all stuff from Finland, you know children of bodom and rasmus and stuff. I'm gonna sound like a shit bitch here but Finland is in my book for bad music countries. With some exceptions of course, there are some good bands from Finland as well, i just can't seem to think of one at the moment.

The thing with Finland is that they produce metal as much as reggaeton is produced in Latin America(sorry for the comparison), and they have shitty accesible bands who become popular for some reason, but well, they also have awesome bands like Tenhi, Shape of Despair, Skepticism, Magyar Posse, Wintersun, October Falls and etc... At least they don't produce shittier music like reggaeton producer countries, or our own beloved country(which also has good music, but always the shitty music is over the really good music).
----
Then God is not dead.
22.12.2009 - 06:27
Linak
I Own You Bitch
I disagree. I prefer reggaeton to some metal bands actually, but that's every person's own personal taste in music.
----
22.12.2009 - 20:06
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Linak is absolutely right about shitty bands in Finland:
Our death metal scene is totally pathetic and black metal scene equally disgrace and that is because the record labels in here are promoting only these girlie metal bands ----> HIM , 69 eyes , and such

We do have some good bands but they are hidden somewhere deep below :

Merry X-MAS to you all
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
23.12.2009 - 18:34
Linak
I Own You Bitch
@heresiarch: lol, i thought you'd be pissed at me or something, you know I meant it with love. And anyway thanks, merry christmas to you too!
----
26.12.2009 - 06:06
Zuzuz0r
Lol, kinda unexpected answer, but well, tastes just differ.

So, what did you guys did on christmas?
----
Then God is not dead.
26.12.2009 - 17:04
heresiarch
Forever Dead
OOOOHHH I had excellent christmas evening , good friends,good food,good drinking and the usual gifts: socks and chocolate

@Linak: I can't be mad at you you are one of the coolest persons in entire planet
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

28.12.2009 - 02:14
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Linak! I need your help. Little sister of my friend is falling in love to Malice Mizer Yes you know all about it
Now recommend albums , videos , interwiews , anything you can think of

She's 17 years old... well you know all about it
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

28.12.2009 - 20:46
Zuzuz0r
Be careful today, because it's 28th, and you know what that means.
----
Then God is not dead.
28.12.2009 - 20:59
heresiarch
Forever Dead
What happens at 28th
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

28.12.2009 - 22:12
Zuzuz0r
Lol, it's like our April Fool's day, basically the same thing.
----
Then God is not dead.