Metal Storm logo
The Next "Iron Maiden"?

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 29.10.2008 - 04:50
Ok, the topic title may seem a little vague, so let me explain.

Iron Maiden is just an example name, the greatest example I could find. Iron Maiden is one of those few metal bands that acquired mainstream success/mass appeal while still retaining the respect from the more elitist of metalheads. No one gets called a "poser" for being an Iron Maiden fan, yet they are waaay bigger than almost every band everyone deems as "sellouts".

So the more descriptive question is this: Who will be the next metal band (lets say bands that have formed in the last 10-15 years), that acquires mass appeal globally, while at the same time still holds respect from more elitist people?

Not such an easy question to answer. Due to the fact that the music business has completely changed since Iron Maidens prime, it's doubtful any other band in metal will reach the level of Iron Maiden again, so lets say the next mainstream band that everyone would be proud to be waving the "metal flag". Some possible answers that went through my head: Children Of Bodom - No, sure they are possibly one of the biggest metal bands to come out in the past 15 years, but once again they don't get much respect from the more learned of metalheads. Opeth maybe?

The reason I made this a topic is because I have no idea! In 25-30 years, Whats that one metal band thats not going to be known for selling out (*cough* *cough* Metallica *cough*), the band where all the kids are going to be wearing shirts of and referring to as "classic"? Any ideas anyone?
05.05.2009 - 03:15
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I think there have been 2 bands so far who have really revolutionized music with their progression.

1. Led Zeppelin

2. Iron Maiden

and I think Opeth is really the next "Iron Maiden" so to speak, although I would never use that terminology.

They have obviously created something so special it can only be defined as "progressive" metal...because we really don't have anything else like it. Sure you could say Pink Floyd is right up there with Led Zeppelin...but popularity and song writing are a part of this picture as well.

Remember, bands like Led Zeppelin were criticized and most people didn't even begin to know what the hell they were doing until 20 years after their first album. I project the same will happen with Opeth...I mean in all honesty...what can beat Blackwater Park, My Arms your Hearse or Ghost Reveries? Certainly not Dream Theatre...I mean...they are incredible musicians but they don't have the songwriting talent of Akerfeldt.
----
Brujerizmo!
05.05.2009 - 03:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Konrad on 05.05.2009 at 03:15

Remember, bands like Led Zeppelin were criticized and most people didn't even begin to know what the hell they were doing until 20 years after their first album.

Really? Because from what my old man tells me, he couldn't go a single day without hearing "Immigrant Song" multiple times on the radio when it was first released
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.05.2009 - 04:12
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I admit exaggeration on my behalf. 20 years was just me talking out of my ass in terms of the band becoming well known...but Immigrant song is definitely one of their most simplistic songs, and quite frankly since cadillac has been using it in their commericals I hate it. I too have a dad who grew up listening to Zeppelin, and from what he recalls the band was popular but it was rare that someone would actually listen to an entire album and understand what was happening.

This is kind of a stupid conversation to be having since the thread isn't even about the new Led Zeppelin...but I'm sure the area which you are from had some effect on who listened to certain music. If you want to argue, go to infowars or something.
----
Brujerizmo!
05.05.2009 - 04:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Konrad on 05.05.2009 at 04:12

I admit exaggeration on my behalf. 20 years was just me talking out of my ass in terms of the band becoming well known...but Immigrant song is definitely one of their most simplistic songs, and quite frankly since cadillac has been using it in their commericals I hate it. I too have a dad who grew up listening to Zeppelin, and from what he recalls the band was popular but it was rare that someone would actually listen to an entire album and understand what was happening.

This is kind of a stupid conversation to be having since the thread isn't even about the new Led Zeppelin...but I'm sure the area which you are from had some effect on who listened to certain music. If you want to argue, go to infowars or something.

Well, I don't think anyone realizes the effect certain bands have when they are relevant, but only in retrospect I guess.
----
- George Carlin
05.05.2009 - 05:22
Biedrik
There will be no next Black Sabbath. Legendary bands are never replaced. No one was the second Black Sabbath. No one was the second Motorhead. No one was the second Death. And no one will the the second Iron Maiden.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
05.05.2009 - 05:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Biedrik on 05.05.2009 at 05:22

There will be no next Black Sabbath. Legendary bands are never replaced. No one was the second Black Sabbath. No one was the second Motorhead. No one was the second Death. And no one will the the second Iron Maiden.

I think you missed the entire point of the question. There was a reason Iron Maiden was in quotation marks.
----
- George Carlin
18.05.2009 - 21:56
MeloDeathViking
Written by Konrad on 05.05.2009 at 03:15

and I think Opeth is really the next "Iron Maiden" so to speak, although I would never use that terminology.

I have to agree with this, these guys just seem to get so much respect from so many different people, even ones not normally into the the genre. I showed my friend a song from Watershed, and he normally doesn't like metal, but he was just blown away by the song writing.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
19.05.2009 - 17:36
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Exactly, and it's not only their following, it's also their influence on other bands. Because of them, we have literally 100's of bands attempting to use a more prog/rock based song structure, while still obviously remaining Death Metal. It is also interesting to note the pattern that exists between Iron Maiden and Opeth. Iron maiden's first two albums, although D'ianno was a huge influence, are very different from all of their other releases musically. Same with Opeth...Orchid and Morningrise both had significantly more Black Metal influence than any other albums. Killers and "Iron Maiden" were both darker as well. It's cool to look at the parallels.
----
Brujerizmo!
19.05.2009 - 19:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Konrad on 19.05.2009 at 17:36

... while still obviously remaining Death Metal.

What is so obviously death metal about them? Not a thing... well, only the vocals at times, but musically actually nothing at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.05.2009 - 21:51
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.05.2009 at 19:21

What is so obviously death metal about them? Not a thing... well, only the vocals at times, but musically actually nothing at all.

Well, on the Lamentations DVD, when Akerfeldt is being interviewed he states that, despite the fact that they are indeed progressive and always want to include unique elements into their music, they are and will remain a Death Metal band at heart. I am not going to waste my time arguing about what constitutes a band to be any type of Genre, because I don't really care. I guess I just assumed Mike knew what he was talking about.
----
Brujerizmo!
19.05.2009 - 21:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Konrad on 19.05.2009 at 21:51

Well, on the Lamentations DVD, when Akerfeldt is being interviewed he states that, despite the fact that they are indeed progressive and always want to include unique elements into their music, they are and will remain a Death Metal band at heart. I am not going to waste my time arguing about what constitutes a band to be any type of Genre, because I don't really care. I guess I just assumed Mike knew what he was talking about.

I have heard Alexi call Children Of Bodom black metal, but that does mean he is right?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.05.2009 - 22:02
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.05.2009 at 21:52

Written by Konrad on 19.05.2009 at 21:51

I have heard Alexi call Children Of Bodom black metal, but that does mean he is right?

hahaha, well Alexi has been known to throw a few back before doing anything. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd--n5LNW64 ...
To be philosophical, communication is actually done by the person who is receiving information, in which case neither Akerfeldt's or Alexi's opinions matter. So, we are both right...fuck them.
----
Brujerizmo!
20.05.2009 - 01:03
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I am the next Iron Maiden!

----
(space for rent)
20.05.2009 - 06:09
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well you could get away with Dane because American Idol just a night where they had rock (so I heard I don't watch the show) so maybe if they do (but probably never) a metal night you could go as the next Idol Maiden...
21.05.2009 - 01:06
sq_xeper
First of all, today I've had too much time on my hands so I decided to write a comment about this

Ok, I didnt read all of the other posts and maybe some of you have already commented this but: I dont think there's going to be another Iron Maiden anytime soon

1- In terms of popularity and originality

There are a lot of bands that can easily bring 5.000 to a concert in some venues that you've already stated:
Children of Bodom
Lamb of God
Machine Head
Dream Theater (they can gather around 15.000)
Opeth

But in terms of being respected by other metalheads of different genres none of the these bands can do that, sure you can say Opeth: while they have a lot of followers they have a lot of haters too, claiming they've sold out, their music is uninspired now, they've change a lot in terms of musicianship and their frontman can be sometimes a little bit of a prick and arrogant (i.e. his jokes cannot be understand by everybody 'cause he's a very sarcastic person) so there are a lot of reasons for Opeth not being as massive as people wish they'd be. Same thing with Dream Theater, they do have a huge fan base but a lot of people hate this band (similar reasons with Opeth, i.e. their new albums are not as good as their old ones, not too many people like to see a band thats always showing off their skills and how good they're playing their instruments live, etc). Although these two bands are great and very original, they're not respected by all metalheads

2- Longevity and legacy

Iron Maiden came out in the beginning of the 80's that is the most important thing of all 'cause thanks to the NWOBHM specially to Judas Priest and Iron Maiden and the development of other heavy metal bands across the globe, other genres were born (progressive, thrash, power, death, black). People always tend to look up and worship their predecessors, highlight their importance and influence in their music, thats one of the many reasons why Maiden its so huge. The first thing you do when you become a metalhead its look for great and successful bands, you start playing their songs and eventually making covers of them. That's the start to become the next Iron Maiden, have a lot of experience in the metal scene, and you can only do that with time

3- Genres and sub-genres

As I've been saying, its really important to be respected by people who make or listen to other genres, and nowadays there are so many that people are more focusing on their musical tastes and don't want to listen to another band. Metalheads are more close minded in terms of music (and their genres) so it is really hard for a band to cover a lot of styles without being innovative and exploring other sounds and that always leads to being categorized as "not being truth to their roots" or "making massive music only for the business and money". So nowadays its too difficult to find a band that covers a lot of genres and that everybody likes, although there are some, they're not that massive or popular

Final statement and thoughts

The next Iron Maiden cannot be found nowadays, that band has to gain a lot of experience and suffer the test of time, if bands like Dream Theater and Opeth want to be called like that, they have to make better records and convince the haters they're really good bands that make great music

Finally in terms of musicianship, my candidate to be the "next Iron Maiden" would be?...Nevermore and here is why:
Their music has a lot of Thrash, Power, Heavy and Progressive elements that anyone can relate to, Jeff Loomis's sound also has technical and virtuous elements that any metalhead can enjoy, Warrel Dane has an incredible voice: he can flex his throat from an insanity-drenched scream to tear-soaked ballad. Every record its better than its predecessor they've already made their masterpiece: This Godless Endeavour (I hope to be wrong and in the near future listen to a new Nevermore record that could fall into the masterpiece category) and with every album they improve themselves as musicians. However not everything is as good as it sounds, 'cause they've had some problems over the years (cancellation of tours, health issues, etc) that've made them not to be continuous with their music and specially the never ending search for a second guitarist. And they're still a young band (14 years since the first record) and nowadays not too many people are familiar with their sound (they're actually consider for small venues) but hopefully in a few years (10 at least) they can become a bigger band 'cause they really deserve it and they can really have a chance compare to others

That's my humble opinion
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
21.05.2009 - 01:20
TormentoR.
I hope there wont be one -.-'

----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
21.05.2009 - 13:41
Throne Dweller
I don't think there will be any new 'Iron Maiden' s, simply because there are so many bands in general that it's very easy for people to forget or miss out on even the most famous metal bands.

In all honestly, I think the only ones to be remembered will be the MTV hits. Cradle, Dimmu, Behemoth, etc.
08.10.2009 - 01:59
ToMegaTherion
Its hards to say who could do it. But and intersting concept. I think maybe Opeth could do it, although there are those already that say they have "Sold out" although I can't see it Akerfeldt is too commited to the band and to experimenting to ever let it go down that road.
Dream Theater are another posibility, they certainly pull a big crowd to their concerts and they are a long way from "Selling out" so to speak. If anything, Black Clouds and Sliver Linings has gotten heavier.
I supose Epica might be another candidate, although I am a little dubious over their next couple of albums since they are now starting to get a rather health following. I suppose for them another five years will give us a better picture.

I guess to say the next of anything is always dangerous, because you can never replace those class acts, except with new bands that make their own name on their own merrit.
08.10.2009 - 02:00
ToMegaTherion
Oh one more I forgot to mention as a posibility Arch Enemy, I can see them ever going mainstream and yet they certainly pull some healthy crowds at their concerts, at least the one I went to was around 4000. Although that was a few years ago now.
08.10.2009 - 02:35
His Eminence
Account deleted
I honestly can't think of a band that would be the next "Iron Maiden." I mean, it would have to be a band that appeals to the mainstream and the metal community without being called a sell-out, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but most bands listed here either don't have enough mainstream exposure or don't have enough "true metal cred."
08.10.2009 - 02:40
ToMegaTherion
Written by [user id=34158] on 08.10.2009 at 02:35

I honestly can't think of a band that would be the next "Iron Maiden." I mean, it would have to be a band that appeals to the mainstream and the metal community without being called a sell-out, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but most bands listed here either don't have enough mainstream exposure or don't have enough "true metal cred."

Very true, but remember it took Iron Maiden 8 years to get any mainstream exposure after they were formed in 1975.
08.10.2009 - 02:50
His Eminence
Account deleted
Written by ToMegaTherion on 08.10.2009 at 02:40

Very true, but remember it took Iron Maiden 8 years to get any mainstream exposure after they were formed in 1975.

That's true, too. Well, at the moment, I really can't think of a band that fits the requirements. But who know, maybe a band will pop up in the years to come?
08.10.2009 - 02:53
ToMegaTherion
Written by [user id=34158] on 08.10.2009 at 02:50

Written by ToMegaTherion on 08.10.2009 at 02:40

That's true, too. Well, at the moment, I really can't think of a band that fits the requirements. But who know, maybe a band will pop up in the years to come?

We can only hope, though I doubt we will ever see a band reach those heights again, or at least not for some years to come.
08.10.2009 - 03:10
Culty
Pagan's Mind seems like a pretty attainable band for the mainstream. Though i dont know how many people are even aware of them. Prog/Power is practically rejected in Florida well at least south Florida so i cant tell. But i dont know. There probably wont be a new Maiden. Unless you want to consider "Russia's Iron Maiden", Aria.
----
Gfnttlr
13.10.2009 - 15:56
SerratedSyringe
I think Mastodon could pull it off. They have the talent first and foremost. They are quickly gaining "mainstream" popularity without "selling out". They tend to gather very large crowds at concerts. They have been around for a while now, and know what they are doing. They have also been cited as the inspiration for many newer bands.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
13.10.2009 - 20:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Evil Chip on 27.01.2009 at 09:00

I think many people didn't understand whats the topic all about. Iron Maiden didn't appear in MTV/VH1 like britney spears...

no, iron maiden didn't appear "like britney spears" in school girl outfits, but you bet your ass they were in heavy rotation on MTV back in the early 80's. they had regular promo bits during ad segments, too.

hell, they even appeared in a buckle up PSA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeXcpqNolrA
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.10.2009 - 01:27
[insert name]
Opeth probably is the way forward, but I don't think there can be any one "next Iron Maiden". But the bands whose shirts they'll be wearing in 20 years' time and saying the band is classic? Probably those who revolutionized entire genres.

So, the "next Iron Maiden" of death metal would be Death, Morbid Angel or Carcass. From black metal, Mayhem or Celtic Frost. From prog-metal, Opeth, or possibly Dream Theater or Fates Warning. From power metal, Helloween or Blind Guardian. From thrash metal, Slayer or Anthrax (Metallica and Megadeth have, of course, "sold out"). I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.
----
I REJECT YOUR PUNY REALITIES! AND THEN THAT IS THE POINT AT WHICH I SUBSTITUTE THEM WITH MY OWN! I HAVE VICTORY!
21.10.2009 - 20:04
soadbyob
Account deleted
Slipknot, they already have way too many fans any metal band sould have (note: by too many fans i mean non-metalheads like them now (same shit that happened to metallica and KISS for example))
22.10.2009 - 03:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=36287] on 21.10.2009 at 20:04

Slipknot, they already have way too many fans any metal band sould have (note: by too many fans i mean non-metalheads like them now (same shit that happened to metallica and KISS for example))

lol. You are aware that it's mostly non-metalheads that make up Slipknots fan base right? I recommend you read the first post before suggesting Slipknot - you'll notice some flaws in your logic.
----
- George Carlin
22.10.2009 - 03:46
Culty
Well he did say in his post that he realized that they have too many non-metalhead fans. but yeah, it kinda goes against the point of the thread lol.
----
Gfnttlr