Metal Storm logo
Uplifting metal that isn't power metal

31.10.2008 - 05:10
Hrothdane
I'm looking for metal that has lyrics that are uplifting and life-affirming that is NOT power metal (not that I don't like power metal ).

Please try to refrain from making this a discussion on the merits of such music, I'm just looking for some helpful suggestions here.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
31.10.2008 - 09:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I did not understand what you want discuss here, can you explain more
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.10.2008 - 11:22
FOOCK Nam
What about music for uplifting. Epic music can be uplifting that isnt power metal. As for lyrics, I guess there are many bands both power metal and non power metal have positive lyric uplifting. Cant relate all...
31.10.2008 - 11:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Check out Lifelover.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
31.10.2008 - 12:02
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Judas Priest- You've Got Another Thing Coming.. just check these lyrics out:

if you think i'll sit around, as the world goes by, you're thinking like a fool cause it's a case of do or die
out there is a fortune waiting to be had, you think i'll let it go you're mad, you've got another thing coming.

in this world we're living in we have our share of sorrow
answer now is don't give in, aim for a new tomorrow.

but i guess you already knew that, lol.

Iron Maiden- Rainmaker, Journeyman, The Clansman, Different World (interestingly, most of these tracks are from their last 2 albums)

(oh boy, this is gonna be long) Manowar- the most uplifting of all Manowar songs is imo Swords In The Wind, but there's also: Kings Of Metal, Metal Daze, Battle Hymn, Metal Warriors, Dark Avenger, Fighting The World, Army Of Immortals, The Gods Made Heavy Metal, Call To Arms, Warriors of the World.. etc

Amon Amarth- Cry Of The Black Birds

Judas Priest- Ram It Down, Hell Patrol, A Touch Of Evil, Worth Fighting For, Hot Rockin', The Green Manalishi
31.10.2008 - 18:47
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Skyclad is horribly uplifting and folk metal. its kinda fun actually
----
Coldgrits
31.10.2008 - 19:17
Graveheart
These albums might be a little too close to power metal though, but you might want to check out at least the two latest Ayreons. "Day Seven: Hope" on the Human Equation, especially.

Edit: pfff, never mind, I checked you already had Ayreon in your profile But it's great if this helped anyone else.
31.10.2008 - 19:31
totaliteraliter
Lots of well-known thrash can be pretty uplifting. "Raining Blood", for example.

Written by -DC-002- on 31.10.2008 at 18:47
Skyclad is horribly uplifting and folk metal. its kinda fun actually

Skyclad seem depressing most of the time. "While your box is so full, mine's perpetually empty." Most of their songs are about how shitty the world is, aren't they?
01.11.2008 - 00:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
The Shining is fairly uplifting. at least from the "i'm glad i'm not that fucked up" perspective.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.11.2008 - 02:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Tankard can be pretty uplifting.

Andrew W.K. would definitely be a good bet, not really metal, but hard and fast enough to be enjoyed by metalheads, its nearly impossible to be upset while listening to them.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.11.2008 - 03:45
Gigginova
Account deleted
Valentin B. mostly read my mind with Judas Priest and Manowar (though some would argue that Manowar are power metal).
01.11.2008 - 10:58
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Hmm...for me...
rob halford's resurrection
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
03.11.2008 - 14:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 01.11.2008 at 03:45

Valentin B. mostly read my mind with Judas Priest and Manowar (though some would argue that Manowar are power metal).

to quote someone from metalstorm or m-a: "how can anyone listen to their music and NOT classifiy them as anything BUT Heavy Metal is beyond me".. i gotta agree with that, the lyrics and some of the fast songs(Power of Thy Sword, Ride The Dragon, Black Wind Fire & Steel) are half thrash half heavy metal and 10% power metal(only SOME of their lyrics border on the power metal thing, their mythologic lyrics are best if you ask me).

also tbh they are the real life Spinal Tap.
04.11.2008 - 01:48
Gigginova
Account deleted
^^ yeah I agree . They sung about epic shit before Power Metal was around.
07.11.2008 - 01:47
Stigmatized
I've always found Korpiklaani to be really uplifting. Bouncing their happy asses around singing about beer and playing their catchy hooks.
07.11.2008 - 02:16
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Leaves eyes and folk metal tend to have that effect on me:D
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
13.11.2008 - 04:34
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Yeah my vote is Halford/Priest. ego boosting to the max.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
16.11.2008 - 00:24
selken
Irreligious
Written by Doc G. on 01.11.2008 at 02:06

I was close, thinking about Sodom, and their punk driven albums from their mid career

What about Munnicipal Waste ?
----
16.11.2008 - 07:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by selken on 16.11.2008 at 00:24

Written by Doc G. on 01.11.2008 at 02:06

I was close, thinking about Sodom, and their punk driven albums from their mid career

What about Munnicipal Waste ?

Well Municipal Waste isn't so black and white. I'm usually having a ridiculous blast when listening to them, but I'm usually hating life the next morning....if you know what I mean
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.11.2008 - 10:10
Eeric
Account deleted
Elvenking is very uplifting
21.11.2008 - 00:08
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Pelican, Jesu, Mono, Fantomas... Avantgarde/strage bands are uplifting for me...
Also Cattle Decapitation, and The Berzerker. They make me smile
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
21.02.2009 - 14:41
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Halford's "Resurrection":
i'm digging deep inside my soul, to bring myself out of this goddam hole
holy angel lift me from this burning hell, resurrection make me whole
son of judas bring the saints to my revenge, resurrection take me home

all of this is sung in Halford's impossibly high pitch. if you appreciate this kind of music and singing along and banging your head to that tune doesn't let your frustrations out, you're gonna need a gun.

EDIT: i somehow forgot the mighty ACCEPT. check out "This One's For You" from their 1993 album.
21.02.2009 - 15:26
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Korpiklaani and some Equilibrium songs (Wingthors Hammer for instance), I find them uplifting enough
----
27.02.2009 - 03:23
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
In Extremo is very uplifting.
Just listen to the song "Raue See".
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
27.02.2009 - 03:29
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Christian metalcore I suppose is uplifting....it might not sound uplifting but the lyrics are I guess...a lot of progressive metal bands put out some really spiritually uplifting music...
27.02.2009 - 16:56
Fhuesc
I would say To-Mera, most of their songs have a positive message.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
27.02.2009 - 17:37
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 27.02.2009 at 03:29

Christian metalcore I suppose is uplifting....it might not sound uplifting but the lyrics are I guess...a lot of progressive metal bands put out some really spiritually uplifting music...

Like Carry Me Down. I find this song so uplifting and powerful.
----
(space for rent)
27.02.2009 - 17:45
Lord TJ
Some of newer Vintersorg songs brighten my mood.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
27.02.2009 - 19:04
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Ark - Burn The Sun
Gojira - From Mars To Sirius

Uplifting because they are both full of light, even if aggressive (each in its category), and the lyrics are positive and clearly life-affirming. And the first is prog while the other is death.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
27.02.2009 - 19:26
tulkas
el parcero
You shlould check thrash metal, slayer is very uplifting, at least in terms of mood. even tough you amy end up thinking like, hey, i wanna kick someone's ass, but it is uplifting. also, some folk metal like fintroll would make you want to move all around and before you know it you're hyperactive...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top