Metal Storm logo
David Tibet

02.11.2008 - 02:19
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
This is a musician who has fascinated me recently. His main project, Current 93, is probably quite well known, even perhaps among metal listeners, although it has never been a metal band. Working already from the 80s, in the beginning Current 93 was about industrial music mostly (correct me if I'm wrong) but the style has changed alot and now it represents so-called "apocalyptic folk", which basically means folk music with quite a lot of experimentation, eerie atmospheres and strange lyrics. Since I only know the later period I really can't say anything about Tibet's earlier work, although the song from youtube "Happy Birthday Pigface Christus" (from 1988, he already seems to have passed the industrial period) sounded rather cool. Which also brings me to the lyrics again. They are really obscure for me, Tibet seems to be a well-read guy, has claimed himself to be a christian now but listening to the lyrics this must be really unorthodox christianity he believes in (as opposed to the well-known "if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal saviour you will go to hell blah-blah-blah type). I mention this because I am quite intrigued by his lyrics. One of his albums is called "Thunder Perfect Mind" which refers to this really awesome gnostic text from the 4th century (if not earlier) which shows quite a different face of christianity than the one which today's public world has been used to (I'm a bit generalizing, sorry).
Anyway, he has also collaborated with loads of musicians, including Attila, Maniac and Stephen O'Malley, persons who you wouldn't usually connect with any christian musicians, but also Björk, Nick Cave, Boyd Rice etc. In any case he is very much respected among musicians who I respect. Oh, and if you check out his myspace, the list of his influences is huge and you can find very different artists, philosophies, even movies there.
As for my opinion on Tibet's and Current 93's music, I find it a bit inconsistent but that is probably my subjective impression. There was this period when I was almost obsessed with their live album, "Halo", which I still enjoy very much. But I listen to certain songs and usually dismiss others. For example, the live version of "Silence Song" is still one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have heard but some of the songs leave me quite indifferent. Still, I think it's the album that I enjoy the most.

So if anyone else likes Tibet's work, no matter what period, give your comments.
02.11.2008 - 13:56
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I had no idea who this guy is, but I do know Current 93. Only from the song off the Skitliv demo and ep though. That song didn't do it for me, but it's Maniac that fucks it up.

Apocalyptic Folk sounds interesting, as does all post-nuclear themed music to me, so I'll check it out.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.11.2008 - 14:51
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I was not sure whether to make the title of this thread "David Tibet" (whose birth-name was David Michael Bunting, actually) or "Current 93" and finally decided for the first because the man is "more" than his project
03.11.2008 - 13:14
Stigmatized
I have "All the Pretty Little Horses" by Current 93 and can't stand it. The music has potential but it's wasted when combined with the voice over top of it.
20.03.2009 - 19:35
Elio
Red Nightmare
He tells kinda scary stories, A Special Plan For This World is in its own way, the most fucked up thing ever.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.