Metal Storm logo
Why not play bass with a pick?

Original post

Posted by thesabbathfan, 10.11.2008 - 01:41
I just realized, that I get much more attack when I play with a pick. I have problems playing fast technical shit with my fingers (like Lamb of God songs, for example) and my fingers just can't keep up and my arm starts to get really tired.

But anyways, why do a lot of bass player hate playing with picks?
30.05.2011 - 23:00
ADIresiduos
I would say that it depends on: 1- your idea of how you would like your bass to sound (it changes dramatically when playing with your fingers vs. using a pick), 2- which technique makes you feel more confortable when playing, 3- your natural talent (some would like to play with their fingers but eventually find out they're much better players when using a pick). I would say follow your instintc and feeling of the techniques, soon you'll know which one suits you best.
I'm a guitarrist but also play bass... using a pick for both.
02.06.2011 - 22:15
NyarlathoTim
Playing bass with a pick kills my wrist and thumb. Perhaps it's my death-grip on the pick.

It's much more comfortable playing with my fingers, but unfortunately I just can't play fast enough with my fingers to do it all the time.

Plus, you can't drop fingers onstage.
----
Burning Shadows - US Power Metal
Recently Vacated Graves - Zombie Metal
Isenmor - Folk Metal
03.06.2011 - 10:56
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
It depends on what sound you want and what kind of music you are playing. I just shift depending on what i'm playing and what i'm comfortable with. With the band though most of the songs are played with a pick, well infact all of them as i slowly shifted to the pick as I didn't want to keep changed between songs. It is always good to be able to play with a pick and with your fingers.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
28.06.2011 - 08:47
Sammol
It's easier to play fast without a pick once you get into it.

Tremolo picking on bass is a pain.
28.06.2011 - 18:49
JD
Account deleted
Written by Sammol on 28.06.2011 at 08:47

I tried i suck with fingers, how you do it? and how many fingers you play with?
28.06.2011 - 20:29
Sammol
Start with 2.

Currently I can use 3.

Just practice tapping on the table or anywhere.
30.06.2011 - 19:28
JD
Account deleted
Written by Sammol on 28.06.2011 at 08:47

Out of curiosity, like what fast songs are you talking about?
30.06.2011 - 19:44
Sammol
^ like any death metal song.
02.07.2011 - 18:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I find anything non-metal is funner to play with my fingers,( like iron butterfly ) and i find that when i play with a pick it gives a nice raspy sound, tremelo is easier with a pick... WAY easier.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.07.2011 - 13:58
I used to switch between the two until I played in a thrash band, where I actually played exclusively with my fingers. I have enough attack in my fingers that I get that crunch along with more the more fluid finger style. Once I mastered the 3-fingered pluck for thrash riffs, I don't think I'll ever go back to a pick.
02.08.2011 - 17:59
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Well you don't have to use a pick if you can play like this

----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
19.08.2011 - 04:52
Me, personally I hate playing with a pick. I've never learned how to play with a pick properly on a bass I learned how to play the old fashioned with with your fingers. I can play Slayer stuff with fingers pretty well, Cannibal Corpse not so much, though. . working on it.
30.08.2011 - 18:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Spirit Molecule on 02.08.2011 at 17:59

i was actually looking fofr a tab for this song... not anymore XD
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.08.2011 - 21:20
Glaucus
I believe it depends on what kind of sound you're going for. You can add as much distortion or compression that you want to a bass, but nothing beats the difference in tone you achieve with either your fingers or your pick. When I'm playing bass, I'm usually playing softer stuff (Beatles, Third Eye Blind, etc.), but even despite that I believe that I am more comfortable with my fingers than a pick.

Easier to dock my picking hand when I'm using my fingers.
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile
30.08.2011 - 23:58
Metalorgy

Damn, that's impressive ... and fuck, I love Meshuggah !

I'm a guitarist but I also play bass on my home recordings. Usually I start playing finger style when I'm writing the bass lines until I realise I'm making a mess of it and go back playing with a pick. I think playing finger style sounds better most of the time, but you need a great technique and my thin guitarist fingers just can't cope with those fat bass strings.
05.10.2011 - 15:48
I started learning with fingers and have been playing with my fingers for years. I've tried with a pic but I just dont enjoy it, and i find i can go faster with my fingers anyway. I play in a death metal band and never really have any trouble playing stuff like Cannibal Corpse, if I need to go faster i just practice like mad until I can do it haha. I use three fingers for triplets and that definitely helps.
----
THRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!
18.11.2011 - 23:03
Sunioj
It just depends on the sound you are looking. yes people argue that "blah blah you can imitate the sound with your EQ" but why get frustrated trying to fuck with your EQ to get a pick sound when you can just pick up that... pick lol. it seems like its more of a pride thing. do what you want, fuck what everyone else thinks.

over the years ive met alot of bassists that are utterly obsessed with playing as fast as possible with no consideration for intonation/accuracy.

the other day i youtubed slit your guts by cryptopsy and 90% of the players using their fingers sounded like shit. if you are going to be that sloppy, tone down your speed, accentuate the faster notes at certain times so that A) you dont get frustrated/tired and B) so that the song doesnt sound boring.

i think people that continuously shred 16th or 32nd notes throughout the whole song are very boring. if you look at all the good bands/songs there always breaks and slower passages to contrast the song. if making a metal song was all about speed, then every band would be world renown.

so, keep that in mind before you get frustrated at your metronome lol and yes, i play fingers for 8 years. i do everything from rock a billy to death
metal.
28.11.2011 - 21:17
NLthrasher
Written by Boxcar Willy on 30.08.2011 at 18:16

i was actually looking fofr a tab for this song... not anymore XD

I have that exact same bass but than with a maple neck and it is a monster of a bass!

I play fingerstyle, mainly because I found that you have a lot more control over your tone and you have a lot more playing styles. That's just my experience though, I also play a little bit with a pick, just because both playing styles are very different and both have their advantages. There are certain things you can only do with one kind of playing. Though I chose for playing with fingers I don't necessarily think it is better, it depends on your personal prefferences and what you want to play. Still I think a real bass player should be able to play with both.
07.03.2012 - 22:29
lopper
I am a bassist and i use my fingers and pick. a pick for when i play metal(most) and fingers when i play some funky shiart
----
Sing a song of living before everybody dies
31.03.2012 - 23:04
Olli
There's nothing wrong with playing with a pick as long as you're doing it for the SOUND, if you're doing it because it's easier and you know it doesn't sound as good man up and get practicing
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
02.04.2012 - 15:49
Unhealer
Eclecticist
It's a matter of sound. I like how the bass sounds more "human" when played with fingers.
But yeah, the speed is something you must work hard on when discarding the pick.

Also, slapping.
24.05.2012 - 17:00
Each bassist should play the bass with any technique he/she prefers.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter