Metal Storm logo
"True Metal"

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 03.07.2006 - 04:39
A lot of metalheads have been describing and discriminating against bands who they classify as 'true metal' (or 'tr00 metal'). Whilst this is not an actual defined metal sub genre like prog or black metal, I've seen this term used a lot to describe bands from Manowar to Burzum. Some metalheads are quite passionate about this pseudo-tag and have gotten into petty squabbles about what is true and what isn't.

Anyhow, I've decided to question your thoughts on what 'true metal' is or has been described as. There is no real answer so there will be no need to bash or redefine other people's points. What makes a band 'true'? What bands can be considered so? And can a band that has 'sold out' be classed as 'true' as well or do they have to be underground to a certain extent? Do bands belonging in a certain metal subgenre have a better chance of being 'true' than another metal subgenre?

Discuss. I'm interested to see what other people have to say.
30.08.2006 - 11:10
Hellish Star
I think 'true' has several meanings in metal nowadays.

1. "True" as bands who keep on playing old school metal which was so popular in the eighties (for example NWOBHM) . Maybe here we can consider true metal as a genre. Often these bands were / are "cult" bands but not all of them were/are. A lot of these bands were "cult" in the eighties and they did reunite but still are "cult". I'm talking about bands like Medieval Steel (USA), Ostrogoth (Bel), Adramelch (It),....

2."True" as bands who refuses to play modern metal with keyboards and 'happy tunes' (like Dragonforce,...) or extreme vocals (like in death & black metal). Those bands are mostly from the US (Helstar, Attacker, Steel Prophet, Agent Steel,...) but you have them in Europe as well (Destiny, Doomsword, Shadowkeep,...). There are new and old bands, mostly playing awesome and fantastic metal but the big metal crowd and metal media ignores them... There's a thin line between the first two categories but I made the difference because the second category has more influences from other genres (thrash,progressive,...).

3."True" as a word that doesn't fit with nu-metal and grunge. All kinds of genres can be "true" as long as metal is the basic word instead of selling albums. Playing metal for the love of the music, not because of cheap succes. And yes, "true" metal bands can become "false", Metallica is the perfect example of it. So, if we talk about "true" here we exclude bands like Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Nirvana,....

Only my idea....
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
30.08.2006 - 11:24
?Bodomchild?

1. "True" as bands who keep on playing old school metal which was so popular in the eighties (for example NWOBHM) . Maybe here we can consider true metal as a genre. Often these bands were / are "cult" bands but not all of them were/are. A lot of these bands were "cult" in the eighties and they did reunite but still are "cult". I'm talking about bands like Medieval Steel (USA), Ostrogoth (Bel), Adramelch (It),....

2."True" as bands who refuses to play modern metal with keyboards and 'happy tunes' (like Dragonforce,...) or extreme vocals (like in death & black metal). Those bands are mostly from the US (Helstar, Attacker, Steel Prophet, Agent Steel,...) but you have them in Europe as well (Destiny, Doomsword, Shadowkeep,...). There are new and old bands, mostly playing awesome and fantastic metal but the big metal crowd and metal media ignores them... There's a thin line between the first two categories but I made the difference because the second category has more influences from other genres (thrash,progressive,...).

3."True" as a word that doesn't fit with nu-metal and grunge. All kinds of genres can be "true" as long as metal is the basic word instead of selling albums. Playing metal for the love of the music, not because of cheap succes. And yes, "true" metal bands can become "false", Metallica is the perfect example of it. So, if we talk about "true" here we exclude bands like Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Nirvana,....

Only my idea....

Exelent dude....im agree with you there is to ways to describe a metal band ike "true band" ....

...But what happens if someone denominated a band "true" cuz the lyrics say true things ?? like Toxic Trace of Kreator.....but i never gonna denoooominate Kreator as "true band"...i dunno if anyone say the same as me....but its an Idea
----
asd
16.09.2006 - 04:29
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Hellish Star on 30.08.2006 at 11:10

1. "True" as bands who keep on playing old school metal which was so popular in the eighties (for example NWOBHM) . Maybe here we can consider true metal as a genre.

i agree with this point the most

Metal startd in the 80's, it became popular in the 80's, and bands that play that sort of metal are classified as "true"
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
16.09.2006 - 12:46
Slayertplsko
Account deleted
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 16.09.2006 at 04:29

1. "True" as bands who keep on playing old school metal which was so popular in the eighties (for example NWOBHM) . Maybe here we can consider true metal as a genre.

Metal startd in the 80's, it became popular in the 80's, and bands that play that sort of metal are classified as "true"

Well metal started with the song Black Sabbath written by Geezer Butler in 1969. So we can say that metal was really started in early 70s by Black Sabbath and Judas Priest...But I agree with everything else.
16.09.2006 - 14:11
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by [user id=16411] on 16.09.2006 at 12:46

Written by BurbotsRevenge on 16.09.2006 at 04:29

Well metal started with the song Black Sabbath written by Geezer Butler in 1969. So we can say that metal was really started in early 70s by Black Sabbath and Judas Priest...But I agree with everything else.

i mean generally metal started in the 80's, but yes, i should have said 70's but it started to become really popular in the 80's with bands like Metallica, Slayer, Testament etc.
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
18.09.2006 - 22:56
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by ?Bodomchild? on 30.08.2006 at 11:24

Only my idea....

hmm...that's kinda funny seeing how Grunge is a subgenre of Punk,Not Metal,and there was alot of Great bands to spawn from that era...Look at the Melvins,Jesus Lizard,Sonic Youth,Helmet...they destroy all those corny True metal bands anyday...if i wanted to hear about swords and dragons..i'd read lord of the rings..and not listen to some lame ass Power Metal band. As for Nu Metal...dont listen to it...but i'll defend it and say it is Metal...and who the fuck are you too say what's true metal and what isnt?..but aint no alternative Metal Poser Pulling anything over on a Mighty True Metal Warrior like yourself eh?...whatever...i'll just say if true means listening to a bunch of homos in loin cloths holding swords,..and writing cheesy ass ballads about being sent down by The Gods to Defend Real Metal...Then i choose The Mainstream...and be a huge Poser all the way
18.09.2006 - 23:52
?Bodomchild?
Written by [user id=14754] on 18.09.2006 at 22:56

Only my idea....

hmm...that's kinda funny seeing how Grunge is a subgenre of Punk,Not Metal,and there was alot of Great bands to spawn from that era...Look at the Melvins,Jesus Lizard,Sonic Youth,Helmet...they destroy all those corny True metal bands anyday...if i wanted to hear about swords and dragons..i'd read lord of the rings..and not listen to some lame ass Power Metal band. As for Nu Metal...dont listen to it...but i'll defend it and say it is Metal...and who the fuck are you too say what's true metal and what isnt?..but aint no alternative Metal Poser Pulling anything over on a Mighty True Metal Warrior like yourself eh?...whatever...i'll just say if true means listening to a bunch of homos in loin cloths holding swords,..and writing cheesy ass ballads about being sent down by The Gods to Defend Real Metal...Then i choose The Mainstream...and be a huge Poser all the way

Man that isnt my post is Hellish Star one
----
asd
19.09.2006 - 00:11
peavy
Account deleted
There is no such thing as "nu metal". Mallcore, rapcore & grunge SUCK BIG TIME!!!!! Yuck!! There is MORE metal in a Cinderella ballad than in that mallcore crap!!!

Long live TRUE FUCKIN' METAL!!!!
19.09.2006 - 03:09
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by ?Bodomchild? on 18.09.2006 at 23:52

Written by [user id=14754] on 18.09.2006 at 22:56

Only my idea....

Man that isnt my post is Hellish Star one

yeah i realized this after i posted..and forgot to delete..no sense doing it now
20.09.2006 - 02:22
okt31
Account deleted
There is good grunge people (not excellent, but good: Alice in Chains and Soundgarden) but they cannot hold a candle to traditional and/or melodic metal.
Long live the good old metal we all know (and most of us should) LOVE!
HEAVY METAL IS THE LAW!!!
20.09.2006 - 07:45
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by [user id=1017] on 20.09.2006 at 02:22

There is good grunge people (not excellent, but good: Alice in Chains and Soundgarden) but they cannot hold a candle to traditional and/or melodic metal.

haha How Lame...i didnt know there was a Heavy Metal Law...what will happen if someone breaks this Law,will they go to Heavy Metal Jail?

umm anyways ,there's amazing bands from Seattle..Like i Said..The Melvins!..and they destroy Most of these cookiecutter "true" bands Mentioned on these forums.i like how people on here seem to think Nirvana,Alice in Chains and Soundgarden are the only bands from that era and city...those bands are shit compared to the stuff that was being put out from bands like,Melvins,Sonic Youth,Jesus Lizard,Buzzoven,Dinosaur Jr,Helmet...some of these bands arent from seattle...but they're all from that whole alternative Metal,Grunge/early 90's thing...and i hate to break this to you Pal...but it's 2006,Music Changes,dont get me wrong,all those bands from the 80's are legends,but if every band These days sounded like Kreator...Metal Would be dull and would wither away...why do you think Metal is still around Genius?..because certain groups of bands keep coming around and reinventing The Wheel every few Years! ...i dunno,maybe i'm Just too Openminded (which these threads seem to lack)...whatever...Heavy Metal Prison..Here i Come!!
20.09.2006 - 14:58
Hyvaarin
Poser.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
20.09.2006 - 15:28
marinBG
True Metal is something like Poser Metal, but with a different name...
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
20.09.2006 - 17:19
Sunioj
What makes a band true?
Sticking to their original sound and concept but not neccessarily not being able to proggess musically, just not doing anything too drastic like with in flames, arch enemy or dissection. Dissection IMO in their second album proggressed musically in SOTLB, as well as behemoth but not to the point where its too drastic.

Examples of True..
I personally think that dismember, is a good example, they havent changed their sound or quality or at least barely within the last 18 years.

However if a band is confined to one sound, it can also be a bad thing, as using the same sound for a good while does get old and repititive.

I was pissed when In flames changed to "soundtrack to your escape", because I think that they not only changed musically in sound, but also lyrically to were the sound is almost like metalcore. I noticed for the jester race to clayman, I wasnt concerned with their change of musical proggression, but as soon as STYE came out I was stunned by how differrent it was.
20.09.2006 - 17:58
peavy
Account deleted
Written by marinBG on 20.09.2006 at 15:28

True Metal is something like Poser Metal, but with a different name...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

"'True metal' is music that's true to the style of classic heavy metal. It's not diluted. It's not pussied out. It's not wimped out. It's played from the heart, 100 percent." Joey DeMaio
"This is what we do. And if you like it, good. If not, go fuck yourself." -Joey DeMaio
"We play Metal pure, you know. We don't play radio bullshit. We don't suck ass." -Joey DeMaio

"However, Manowar have shown respect for Venom and Mercyful Fate, two early extreme metal bands in many interviews in the '80s. Manowar have also taken Immortal on tour with them. Joey DeMaio has stated Immortal play true metal, though a different kind." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_metal)

'False metal' is played by the posers (e.g. [Metal]lica) and is adressed to all the wimps out there!!! Hahahahaha!!!
20.09.2006 - 18:15
okt31
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14754] on 20.09.2006 at 07:45

haha How Lame...i didnt know there was a Heavy Metal Law...what will happen if someone breaks this Law,will they go to Heavy Metal Jail?

umm anyways ,there's amazing bands from Seattle..Like i Said..The Melvins!..and they destroy Most of these cookiecutter "true" bands Mentioned on these forums.i like how people on here seem to think Nirvana,Alice in Chains and Soundgarden are the only bands from that era and city...those bands are shit compared to the stuff that was being put out from bands like,Melvins,Sonic Youth,Jesus Lizard,Buzzoven,Dinosaur Jr,Helmet...some of these bands arent from seattle...but they're all from that whole alternative Metal,Grunge/early 90's thing...and i hate to break this to you Pal...but it's 2006,Music Changes,dont get me wrong,all those bands from the 80's are legends,but if every band These days sounded like Kreator...Metal Would be dull and would wither away...why do you think Metal is still around Genius?..because certain groups of bands keep coming around and reinventing The Wheel every few Years! ...i dunno,maybe i'm Just too Openminded (which these threads seem to lack)...whatever...Heavy Metal Prison..Here i Come!!

You know what? I didn't say grunge is shit. I just said there are OK bands in the field. That I kinda respect and like. And you don't like traditional heavy metal bands. Who is the ignorant one? And why is your problem that I'm not that interested in your favourite music.. You also aren't in mine. So I don't understand your attitude..
And judging from that attitude I bet you don't know any other heavy metal band aside of the household ones: Maiden, Priest, Manowar, Accept and Motorhead...
And he who doesn't know the classic Helloween song, should not speak how cool he is. Or if you are simply disgusted by heavy metal, then I pity you.
And I'd like to stress that true metal is not only heavy metal about tough life and spikes and leather. True metal is an attutude towards music. It's not a genre, but a category. To respect your fans and/or obey artistic freedom. Not being sellout, etc.
20.09.2006 - 23:32
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by [user id=1017] on 20.09.2006 at 18:15

Written by [user id=14754] on 20.09.2006 at 07:45

You know what? I didn't say grunge is shit. I just said there are OK bands in the field. That I kinda respect and like. And you don't like traditional heavy metal bands. Who is the ignorant one? And why is your problem that I'm not that interested in your favourite music.. You also aren't in mine. So I don't understand your attitude..
And judging from that attitude I bet you don't know any other heavy metal band aside of the household ones: Maiden, Priest, Manowar, Accept and Motorhead...
And he who doesn't know the classic Helloween song, should not speak how cool he is. Or if you are simply disgusted by heavy metal, then I pity you.
And I'd like to stress that true metal is not only heavy metal about tough life and spikes and leather. True metal is an attutude towards music. It's not a genre, but a category. To respect your fans and/or obey artistic freedom. Not being sellout, etc.

you never said it was shit...i was just making it clear to you and to everyone else that there was other bands from that era.and i respect Traditional Metal...did i not just say before,that those bands from the 80's were legends?..hahah knowing a Helloween song determines being cool?..hahah.stfu,..and spare me the "i know more about metal than you talk"..hahah you Nerd...Seriously.... WHO talks like This?..oh wait,i forgot,this is MS,, and i do know other Trad/True/Power metal bands outside of the bands you mentioned...but i dont give a shit about them nor do i listen to them. i'm about Thrash,Punk,Grind,Extreme Metal,Alternative Metal,Abstract/art Rock but i do like Motorhead,Maiden,Priest,Venom,Ya know,The Household ones
21.09.2006 - 00:14
okt31
Account deleted
"but i dont give a shit about them nor do i listen to them."
You see as you don't give a shit about other traditional metal bands, I don't give a shit about other alternative/grunge bands others that I already like. And you began to attack when I finished my post with a Helloween song.. (I'm a Helloween fan and I think that title just fit very much here, back then)
What your problem aside that I said that traditional metal is the best for me? (I repeat it once more, aside from the fact that true metal=non-fake metal is not entirely trad. metal)
21.09.2006 - 00:46
marinBG
Written by [user id=12173] on 20.09.2006 at 17:58

"'True metal' is music that's true to the style of classic heavy metal. It's not diluted. It's not pussied out. It's not wimped out. It's played from the heart, 100 percent." Joey DeMaio
"This is what we do. And if you like it, good. If not, go fuck yourself." -Joey DeMaio
"We play Metal pure, you know. We don't play radio bullshit. We don't suck ass." -Joey DeMaio

"However, Manowar have shown respect for Venom and Mercyful Fate, two early extreme metal bands in many interviews in the '80s. Manowar have also taken Immortal on tour with them. Joey DeMaio has stated Immortal play true metal, though a different kind." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_metal)

'False metal' is played by the posers (e.g. [Metal]lica) and is adressed to all the wimps out there!!! Hahahahaha!!!

So what you're saying is that Joey is the only person that has the authority to decide what's true and what's not or what? if you ask him only Manowar would be true and that's it... all the true crap is bulshit for me...
----
21.09.2006 - 01:14
peavy
Account deleted
Written by marinBG on 21.09.2006 at 00:46

Written by [user id=12173] on 20.09.2006 at 17:58

So what you're saying is that Joey is the only person that has the authority to decide what's true and what's not or what? if you ask him only Manowar would be true and that's it... all the true crap is bulshit for me...

Hey, you frustrated, of course DeMaio is to decide what's true and what's not as long as he was the first to use the term "true" in relation to metal music!!

DeMaio's opinion about Nevermore: "They've been around for a while, and I think they play from the heart. If they play from the heart and not from the wallet then it's true metal. If you wanna make money from this business, be an entertainment lawyer."

"We don't play to be promoted on radio or tv. We play for our fans. If we wanted to be popular, than we would have played hip-hop or industrial." - Joey DeMaio
"We care about our band, the quality of music and the metal fans more than anyone else!" -Joey DeMaio

THAT'S WHAT "TRUE METAL" IS ALL ABOUT, you ignorant!!!

"I know that a lot of people are against us. But they can get fucked and eat shit and die. Manowar are here to show everybody else that Metal will live on." - Joey DeMaio's response to people like you!!
21.09.2006 - 10:03
marinBG
Written by [user id=12173] on 21.09.2006 at 01:14

Well, imo that's actually a very ingonarant thing to say... The fact that I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about so either learn to respect what other people have to say or STFU!

Also have never been that convinced that Joey isn't about the wallet also... To me he looks a little bit of a poser with all his "true" babling... that's what keeps his fans BUYING all the Manowar DVDs and all additional stuff they manage to release that looks a bit like nonmusical money makinging at some point... and I don't think that the term "true black metal" has ANYTHING to do with Manowar... it emerged independently so I don't think the term can be a Joey trademark... anyway... for me this is a pointless term to exist...
----
21.09.2006 - 12:14
peavy
Account deleted
Written by marinBG on 21.09.2006 at 10:03

Written by [user id=12173] on 21.09.2006 at 01:14

Well, imo that's actually a very ingonarant thing to say... The fact that I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about so either learn to respect what other people have to say or STFU!

Also have never been that convinced that Joey isn't about the wallet also... To me he looks a little bit of a poser with all his "true" babling... that's what keeps his fans BUYING all the Manowar DVDs and all additional stuff they manage to release that looks a bit like nonmusical money makinging at some point... and I don't think that the term "true black metal" has ANYTHING to do with Manowar... it emerged independently so I don't think the term can be a Joey trademark... anyway... for me this is a pointless term to exist...

I don't care what you think. It's pointless to say what you think, to express an opinion without any proof. I'm not saying what I think, I'm stating facts backed up by evidence. In order to impose your opinion you have to come up with proof! But you keep repeating what "you think" which shows the fact that you are very IGNORANT and NARROW-MINDED.

Manowar were the FIRST band to claim they played "true metal" i.e. they are true to themselves. They also stated that they respected EVERY true metal band refering to ALL the kinds of metal including black metal. I prooved all this before in my previous posts when I quoted DeMaio.
Posers are the opposite to true metal people. And you are an ignorant wimp who worships poser bands!! That's the way things are whether you like it ot not!!

21.09.2006 - 14:18
marinBG
dude, you're totally out of it... the only difference between the way I'm argueing and the way you're arguing is that you think that your opinion or Joey's opinion are proof for something... at least I'm aware of what I'm saying... and if I don't like what Joey does, he can be the one to fuck himself... the same goes to you...

P.S.: I like some of Manowar's music, but seeing thier DVDs, pictures and so on really makes me laugh sometimes... and Joey with overdone attitude is just as big of a poser as anybody else... and being "true" is part of his pose you know... For example, he is always talking about all the chicks he gets and so on, but when you look at a Manowar DVD all the chicks he hooks up with are old and ugly... and this is the DVD, so he probably did even uglier that didn't make the cut... I actually really respect the guy as a musician, but he's really messed up...
----
21.09.2006 - 14:30
peavy
Account deleted
Written by marinBG on 21.09.2006 at 14:18

I like some of Manowar's music, but seeing thier DVDs, pictures and so on really makes me laugh sometimes... and Joey with overdone attitude is just as big of a poser as anybody else... and being "true" is part of his pose you know... For example, he is always talking about all the chicks he gets and so on, but when you look at a Manowar DVD all the chicks he hooks up with are old and ugly... and this is the DVD, so he probably did even uglier that didn't make the cut... I actually really respect the guy as a musician, but he's really messed up...

Hey, come on! There are some great chicks on those DVD's... well, not all of them of course, but there are some really great chicks!! For example on the Hell on Earth I at that New Year's Eve party!! And they're definitely not old!!
21.09.2006 - 15:23
marinBG
Yep... most of the chicks on this DVD suck... I mean, most of them I wouldn't even lay may finger on... and Manowar are really starting to become posers in their strive (end especially Joeys strive) to look as true as possible...
anyway... we're waaaay offtopic!
----
23.09.2006 - 20:28
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer

Do you think that Nu Metal and Grunge were created with the purpose of selling albums? Nu Metal and Grunge spawned or were conceived and it indeed received media attention but that doesn't mean that its sole creation had the target of selling albums. The bands that helped in the creation of these genres were shooting darts into a panel, as everyone who starts something new does, without knowing where the dart would hit. They cannot predict the future in order to know the outcome of what they create.

If you are going to put the compromise of the music of bands, within these genres, in question you can only have as targets the subsequent bands to the creators of the genres for it is possible that people who saw the acceptance of these genres by the public could have decided to get a ride in this "train" of popularity. Of course, all of this can only be speculations and simple possibilities because no one reads the others minds in order to know what they are thinking. Now, I have been acquainted that some members of Slipknot have admitted that they did omit solos in their first big label album after the orders of the producer of them at the time; this is an example of a band whose compromise for music can be put into question but that does not mean that every band within the genre have to be lumped into the same bashing.

There are people in the World that enjoy these Rock and Metal subgenres and if they do decide to start a band it is more than likely that the music they will like to play would be those same genres that they listen to. It is as simple as that.
----
Christless
25.09.2006 - 17:15
Hyvaarin
Written by [user id=14754] on 20.09.2006 at 23:32

...and spare me the "i know more about metal than you talk"..hahah you Nerd...Seriously.... WHO talks like This?...i'm about Thrash,Punk,Grind,Extreme Metal,Alternative Metal,Abstract/art Rock but i do like Motorhead,Maiden,Priest,Venom,Ya know,The Household ones

Bit of a hypocrite, eh? I dub thee Jesus "Mentionitis" Puncher.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
28.09.2006 - 03:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Darth Satanious on 23.09.2006 at 20:28

Do you think that Nu Metal and Grunge were created with the purpose of selling albums? Nu Metal and Grunge spawned or were conceived and it indeed received media attention but that doesn't mean that its sole creation had the target of selling albums. The bands that helped in the creation of these genres were shooting darts into a panel, as everyone who starts something new does, without knowing where the dart would hit. They cannot predict the future in order to know the outcome of what they create.

I will second that point...

When Grunge spawned, the hair bands were still all the rage. If those bands had wanted to make money they would have played nice and released more "Cherry Pie" crap with nekkid girls in the vidoes.

Grunge was a reaction against the popular trend at the time.

Additionally, Nirvana had released an Indie album, "Bleach" with little fanfare, Alice in Chains had released an album, "Facelift" which garnered some radio and mtv play, and Soundgarden had already put out several releases (the fantastically named "Ultramega Ok" and "Louder than Love") which had garnered critical acclaim from some press prior to the break-out of "Smells like Teen Spirit."

Hell, I remember singing along to the chorus of Soundgarden's "Big Dumb Sex" back in 1990... a full year before anyone had heard "grunge."

The popularity of grunge probably has more to do with the fact that many people at the time (myself included) were sick to fucking death of the hairmetal bands putting out power ballad after ballad or party song after party song. Was nice to have something darker, almost more "real" to listen to.

Does the fact their craft sold records make them sell-outs?

Nu-Metal keeps coming up - but really, how many nu-metal bands were there, how many sold millions of records? Outside of the same usual suspects (Korn, Slipknot, Linkin Park), I'm willing to bet that Emperor and Cannibal Corpse have outsold the rest.

Does that make Cannibal Corpse and Emperor sell-outs and "UNTRUE" then?

I think not.

Amount of records sold or cash made is not directly linked to "selling out."

Sometimes they coincide... selling out = selling records.

Other times selling records occurs without any sell out whatsoever if the material is strong enough in and of itself to appeal to fans.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.09.2006 - 03:40
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Okay, before i say anything, and before anyone bashes me for saying something, this is MY opinion its not the truth, no one has the truth, so dont get mad if i say something that upsets you. Well this is how i look at "true metal" and "fake" or "gay" metal, True metal is anything along the lines of Death Metal, Black Metal, Thrash Metal, Power Metal, Prog Metal, pretty much anything BUT Nu Metal and Metalcore, and any of this Rapmetal shit im hearing about, Nu Metal and Metalcore, take aspects from the genre of Emo or Hardcore of even Post- HArdcore, its not metal, dont sound like it, isint it. No i dont like Power Metal, Prog Metal, or anything that isint part of the Extreme Metal genre (yes i have a very small music variety) but just because i dont like it dosent make it metal, its like how people say Cradle Of Flith, and (new) Dimmu Borgir, arnt metal, i dissagree, because they arnt black metal, but they are still metal, a diffrent form of it, i dont like it, but its still metal.
28.09.2006 - 22:35
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
@Bitter COld:

Yes.

Written by Immortal Plague on 28.09.2006 at 03:40

pretty much anything BUT Nu Metal and Metalcore, and any of this Rapmetal shit im hearing about, Nu Metal and Metalcore, take aspects from the genre of Emo or Hardcore of even Post- HArdcore, its not metal

And Thrash Metal does not take influence from Hardcore Punk, right?
----
Christless