Which is the best Windir album?

Arntor
Likferd
Soknardalr
Valfar, ein windir

Total votes: 88
04.07.2006 - 05:30
Surtur
It's hard to say which one of the disc is the best, this is a great viking/black metal band, all the discs have their own, "Soknardarl" is the first one with the pure essence of Valfar's music, "1184" is the first one with permanent members and gave us great songs, "Likferd" is a disc with more BM music, I know that "Valfar, ein windir" is a compilation but it has some demos, Stridmann, live versions and covers, maybe someone like it more than other one, but my favourite is "Arntor" just because is a maesterpiece, the perfect mixture between the Viking folk and BM, the riffs are amazing and Valfar show us how skillfull he could be...
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
07.07.2006 - 02:01
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
I can't believe there aren't more replies to this thread?

My everlasting favorite album of Windir's is 1184. Dance of Mortal Lust is one of my top favorite songs, in fact, although upon looking up the lyrics, I was pretty surprised. I'm not sure why, but it wasn't what I expected!

I have been known to listen to Journey to the End over and over again as well.

Damn. I miss this band.
09.07.2006 - 00:57
Schlackass
Account deleted
I can't decide, because I love all albums. I also miss them, alot.. Glemmer deg aldri Valfar!
09.07.2006 - 01:24
W-Lash
Metal Master
Arntor is the best, all songs are great! Soknardalr is too melodic.
1184 is good but not as good as Arntor. In fact Likferd is their worst album because nothing except Fagning is worth to be listened.
17.07.2006 - 09:59
Vunts
Since i am more of a melodic person, i voted for Sóknardalr. At first i was thinking of 1184, but today i started relistening to them and the shuffle took me to Mørket sin fyrste. And after that song i forgot that 1184 even existed. Truly awesome band with great music. Wouldn't call the other releases less melodic though...well, not very much less anyways. I really can't believe how i could have forgotten that band for about half a year But then again...maybe it was better in the long run, because now, if anyone asked me to name my three favourite bands, Windir would be in there. And i've only been relistening to them for 30 minutes. Truly awesome band...it's a pity they've split-up...
19.07.2006 - 12:33
Schlackass
Account deleted
Written by Vunts on 17.07.2006 at 09:59

Since i am more of a melodic person, i voted for Sóknardalr. At first i was thinking of 1184, but today i started relistening to them and the shuffle took me to Mørket sin fyrste. And after that song i forgot that 1184 even existed. Truly awesome band with great music. Wouldn't call the other releases less melodic though...well, not very much less anyways. I really can't believe how i could have forgotten that band for about half a year But then again...maybe it was better in the long run, because now, if anyone asked me to name my three favourite bands, Windir would be in there. And i've only been relistening to them for 30 minutes. Truly awesome band...it's a pity they've split-up...

Pity, yes, but it wouldn't ever be the same without Valfar, so i'm glad they ended it there..
19.07.2006 - 13:17
Vunts
Written by Guest on 19.07.2006 at 12:33

Written by Vunts on 17.07.2006 at 09:59

Pity, yes, but it wouldn't ever be the same without Valfar, so i'm glad they ended it there..

Indeed, i started thinking that also, when i started reading the reviews on metal-archives and i noticed that in the beginning it was Valfar that did all the music. I really didn't know that when i wrote my previous post in this thread...Why is every genius destined to die young...It just sucks.
19.07.2006 - 13:36
Schlackass
Account deleted
Valfar was one of the greatest. Just shows how harsh norwegian winters can be..
07.08.2006 - 14:13
rebelos
Account deleted
i am voding for 1184
it has my favorite songs that's why

Todeswalzer!!! i fucking loooooooooooooooove the keys on the beggining

after that i think the best is Likferd
14.08.2006 - 16:47
IhsahnFan
Account deleted
I go for Likferd! All the albums are great but Likferd is the best
18.08.2006 - 02:16
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
1184 without a doubt.....Todeswalzer and Journey to the end are amazing!
02.12.2006 - 20:34
Megadeth88
Sóknardalr without a doubt. That will always be my favorite Windir album.
02.12.2006 - 22:10
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I voted for 1184 - they are all pretty solid though, but 1184 just grabs it.
06.12.2006 - 00:50
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
Truly Great band... Master Valfar perhaps knowns when it's time to leave... He left "only" masterpieces LP... and memoirs...
06.12.2006 - 09:59
FOOCK Nam
Best band ever, I always remember the feeling when listened to Arntor, a warrior, so awesome riff and very fresh solo of folk element. But then I came to 1184 with Dance Of Mortal Lust and Todeswalzer, I adapted this album gradually. No need to say much, Windir is BEST BAND EVER. Valfar said he appreciated Arntor, A Warrior highest cuz it showed his devotion to Arntor, a real warrior in his village. Though I love 1184 better, "time alter me so" cuz I had thousands times listened to the track Arntor, A Warrior, but then same, thousands times I listened to Todeswalzer. Moreover 1184 has some track written in english, while Arntor was written all in Norwegian. I vote for 1184, though also vote for Arntor
15.12.2006 - 01:25
Ending
Account deleted
Arntor, ein Windir is and it will be the one and best album not only from Windir, is among many many metal bands, Valfar do it all by himself, it represents all the feelings from Windir, since the beginning to the end it has an atmopshere too special and different from others, the lyrics are in Sognamaol and is the history of one of the most important battles in Norway. I love journey to the end, fagning, dance of mortal lust, and many others but my vote is for Arntor, ein windir.:devil:
15.12.2006 - 02:31
Phobik
Account deleted
I've voted for Likferd because, in my opinion, is one of the best BM albums ever. When I'm listening it I always wish to be in Norway, my plathonic country. Norwegian people are very lucky for being norwegian...
15.12.2006 - 06:11
Eternal Flames
I voted for Arntor. The atmosphere, Valfar's high pitched screams, his incredible clean vocals... I just think that this album is just perfectly put together from the stunning accordion intro, Byrjing, to the the brilliant "Ending", it is just a classic album. I love the use of the keys on this album. They are used mainly as a background instrument which I think fits the cd perfectly. And Valfar's vocals are just amazing. The epic sound on this album is what gives it the slight edge of their other albums.
19.12.2006 - 18:04
baldur
Written by Guest on 18.08.2006 at 02:16

1184 without a doubt.....Todeswalzer and Journey to the end are amazing!

nothing more to say! Todeswalzer and Journey to the end
19.12.2006 - 23:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I have both 1184 and Arntor, as well as the tribute Valfar, Ein Winder.

Arntor is by far my favorite.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.12.2006 - 21:48
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
It is impossible to choose...
But If I must choose one... only one... Damn it's really hard to do it...
well - Arntor... because it was my first Windir album...
19.01.2007 - 02:59
GoldenerSchnitt
Mine would have to be 1184 this was my first Windir album and the keyboards on it are great as well as the guitars
07.02.2007 - 03:33
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Arntor for me.. It was easily their best album for me. It could be because it was the first Windir album I listened to so that could be a reason. The other albums are ok too but this was the m,ost special of the lot..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
07.02.2007 - 05:43
Judas
The Amputator
'Arntor, Ein Windir' all the way. I mean, come on, it's got 'Svartesmeden Og Lundamyrstrollet' on it, which is one of the best songs ever! And the great thing is, all the songs are at that high level! I'm in no way saying the others are bad, they're all incredible albums too, but this one is just that little bit better.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
11.02.2007 - 01:29
Stigmatized
I like 1184 the most overall, so it gets my vote. But, Soknardalr has my favorite Windir song on it, which is Likbør. I love that ending.
11.02.2007 - 01:51
APOHAKC
The Bard
I voted for 1184 like most of you, it is my first Windir album and Likferd I never heard but I doubt I will like it more than 1184. It was close between 1184 and Arntor but memories won.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
11.02.2007 - 15:24
Angelstorm
Account deleted
I voted for Arntor. It was the first album I heard of theirs and I love it the most. Totally love Valfar's vocals, also his bass and synths.
22.03.2007 - 14:29
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I chose soknadalr simply because this is the onlu Windir album I have listened to and is a great album.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
08.06.2007 - 12:37
Neige
I've heard both Likferd and recently bought 1184 from France. And out of those two I definately prefer 1184. Journey to the End being my favourite song thus far.
10.10.2007 - 20:21
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Arntor. It's beautiful.