Metal Storm logo
Best Dream Theater Epic

Poll

Which of Dream Theater's Epics is their best?

Metropolis Pt.1 and Pt.2
A Change of Seasons
Other (In case I forgot, name in post)
Octavarium
Vacant/Stream of Consciousness
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
In the Presence of Enemies
Mike Portnoy's AA Suite (so far)

Total votes: 40
16.12.2008 - 23:29
trogdizard
Account deleted
We all know Dream Theater has a knack for writing epic songs, songs that have multiple parts, multiple named parts to be precise, that last for ten minutes or more and stick in your head no matter where you are. So, which one is your favorite?
Personally, I like A Change of Seasons best, but the Vacant/Stream of Consciousness combo runs a close second with Octavarium in third.
A Change of Seasons is IMO DT's best song period, because of how well written and performed it is.
(BTW, I included the AA Suite because of how closely related all of the songs are. And Metropolis Pt.1 and Pt.2 because they add up to be one epic story, with Pt. 1 as the kind of Introduction/setting the scene for part 2.)
16.12.2008 - 23:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
By far "A Change of Seasons"! The first time I heard it I was stunned and I couldn't stop listening to it! Everybody as a musician peaked there! LaBrie has never sounded better, the drums are amazing, keyboards have never been such a pleasure to listen to, the solos are mindblowing and the bass is unbeatable. If there's one song that really describes Dream Theater's sound, it is "A Change of Seasons".
----
17.12.2008 - 06:46
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
My favorite song by Dream Theater is "A Mind Beside Itself" clocking in at 20 minutes. I personally would not consider Metropolis pt. II a song and should not be included here.

If you are going to include the whole Metropolis aspect, then I would suggest tagging "The Mirror" onto the "AA Suite" since it is the prelude to that story.
----
(space for rent)
17.12.2008 - 09:37
Eeric
Account deleted
Metropolis 2, I started Dream Theater with it so for me, it's legendary. Those others are great too, especially Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
17.12.2008 - 16:16
Metal_Militia
//In the Presence of Enemies for me because i saw them live back to back (Pts 1 and 2) before i ever heard it on Systematic Chaos and absolutely fell in love with them. Those songs are the ultimate epics//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

17.12.2008 - 18:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Other ''Pull me Under'' are only songw aht I like from this abnd, others are so boring even power metal isnt so boring how DT newer albums and songs and its epic song too
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.12.2008 - 22:09
bierdukhelmsplit
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 17.12.2008 at 06:46

My favorite song by Dream Theater is "A Mind Beside Itself" clocking in at 20 minutes. I personally would not consider Metropolis pt. II a song and should not be included here.

If you are going to include the whole Metropolis aspect, then I would suggest tagging "The Mirror" onto the "AA Suite" since it is the prelude to that story.

I always forget how closely related The Mirror is to the AA Suite.
17.12.2008 - 22:11
bierdukhelmsplit
Account deleted
Written by Metal_Militia on 17.12.2008 at 16:16

//In the Presence of Enemies for me because i saw them live back to back (Pts 1 and 2) before i ever heard it on Systematic Chaos and absolutely fell in love with them. Those songs are the ultimate epics//

I'm extremely jealous. Those are two of Dream Theater's best ever. And it's even worse because one of my best friends saw Dream Theater in Denver during Chaos in Motion and he didn't tell me. I'm still pissed.
18.12.2008 - 05:39
Metal_Militia
Written by Guest on 17.12.2008 at 22:11

Written by Metal_Militia on 17.12.2008 at 16:16

I'm extremely jealous. Those are two of Dream Theater's best ever. And it's even worse because one of my best friends saw Dream Theater in Denver during Chaos in Motion and he didn't tell me. I'm still pissed.

//Saw them twice during that tour and it was incredible Those songs were most definitely the highlights of both shows. Everything was right on point. You gotta go see them sometime in your life if you're a fan. Its an experience you'll never forget man!//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

18.12.2008 - 17:33
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
My favorite is the Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence Suite...it's the first thing I ever listened by these lads first of all...the introduction is beautiful...the transitions from one piece to the next are flawless...the compositions are very technical and varied...the lyrical content is very deep and makes you think...and it all ties together quite nicely...I can't help but listen to this one epic again and again!
18.12.2008 - 18:28
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
I voted Metropolis, with The Glass Prison being a close second.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
18.12.2008 - 20:47
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
How am I suppose to choose? No...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.12.2008 - 22:34
bierdukhelmsplit
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.12.2008 at 17:33

Written by Bad English on 17.12.2008 at 18:22

Other ''Pull me Under'' are only songw aht I like from this abnd, others are so boring even power metal isnt so boring how DT newer albums and songs and its epic song too

Why did you even bother posting sometimes? This is why you have 20000+ posts!

My favorite is the Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence Suite...it's the first thing I ever listened by these lads first of all...the introduction is beautiful...the transitions from one piece to the next are flawless...the compositions are very technical and varied...the lyrical content is very deep and makes you think...and it all ties together quite nicely...I can't help but listen to this one epic again and again!

I definitely like the Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence a lot. The intro was developed off of a composition Jordan Rudess made up, and then they pulled the sound of all of the other songs from it. Dream Theater can surely write some beautiful stuff when they set their minds to it.
02.01.2009 - 17:51
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Metropolis Pt.1 and Pt.2 are true masterpieces
23.05.2009 - 00:03
Omegabyss
Account deleted
In the presence of enemies reminds me of star wars, with the lyrics and whatnot.... simply amazing
28.09.2009 - 02:09
ToMegaTherion
A change of Seasons, I love the concept, and the subtle use of the Philosophical question put forward in the movie "Dead Poet Society".
Octavarium would be a close second, one again a facinating concpt I believe it was an idea drawn from another movie called "Awakenings". Although you would have to ask the band for confirmation about it. It is another movie that raises a number of Philosophical question, those which DT use in the song to expand on the epic feel of the song itself.
30.11.2009 - 08:19
IronBlackZepp
I cannot choose. They are all great. Plus since Black Clouds and Silver Lining has come out more songs can be added to the list of DT epics. DT has some of the best songs I have ever heard, I hate it when people go and say that they are not good song writers, because they are great song writers.
05.12.2009 - 01:13
Silent_wolfer
In my opinion for me it's gotta be Learning To Live, i can't get enough of that song.
19.09.2012 - 12:56
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
"The Count Of Tuscany" from Black Clouds and Silver Linings
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.09.2012 - 03:04
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Since Metropolis Part I is my favorite song from the band, I voted for that.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).