Metal Storm logo
Burzum

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 09:54
This band needs no introduction.

To start things off, what do people think of Vargs' writings about paganism that are posted on his website ((www.burzum.org)?
01.08.2006 - 22:11
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Personally my favorite is Det Som Engang. Maybe weird, but I feel that my favorite song off that album is 'Er, Som Reiste'. It is just.. relaxing. The other stuff is great as hell to, but I think that song is my fav.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.08.2006 - 02:13
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Thanks Ruines and others! Heck might as well order both Filosofem and Det som Engang Var if i can

Another question, how long is the playing time for Hvis Lyset Tar Oss?
----

Hellcunt Smurf
02.08.2006 - 03:21
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Xtreme Jax on 02.08.2006 at 02:13

My version is 8:04
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.08.2006 - 03:37
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Written by Damnated on 02.08.2006 at 03:21

Thanks Damnated, Hmm a bit too short for me to spend alot of moeny on, think i'll just stick with Filosofem and Det som Engang Var.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
02.08.2006 - 04:20
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Xtreme Jax on 02.08.2006 at 03:37

Thanks Damnated, Hmm a bit too short for me to spend alot of moeny on, think i'll just stick with Filosofem and Det som Engang Var.

I think he thought you meant the actual song "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss." The actual album in near 45 minutes I believe.
----
The force will be with you, always.
02.08.2006 - 04:23
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Written by Clintagräm on 02.08.2006 at 04:20

Written by Xtreme Jax on 02.08.2006 at 03:37

I think he thought you meant the actual song "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss." The actual album in near 45 minutes I believe.

guess i should have specified and said the Album length not the track hehe
----

Hellcunt Smurf
02.08.2006 - 11:50
dark awakening
I like Burzum lyrics but I think that if Varg hadn't killed Euronymous nowadays none knew about him. There are a lot of unknow bands that make atmospheric black or ambient better than Varg. But I respect his ideas and the books he wrote.
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
02.08.2006 - 11:55
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
I heard Burzum before i was even aware that he killed somebody.
02.08.2006 - 13:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@dark awakening.

That's not really true, IMO. He was a very important chain in the process of Black Metal, with or without the murder.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.08.2006 - 14:06
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by dark awakening on 02.08.2006 at 11:50

I like Burzum lyrics but I think that if Varg hadn't killed Euronymous nowadays none knew about him. There are a lot of unknow bands that make atmospheric black or ambient better than Varg. But I respect his ideas and the books he wrote.

NO, thisi not true. Burzum was a highly influential band, and Varg also had that music store going on for a while, so he was an important figure. And shure, there are better bands then Burzum, but remember, that Varg was to first to play this kind of atmospheric BM.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.08.2006 - 15:56
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 02.08.2006 at 14:06

NO, thisi not true. Burzum was a highly influential band, and Varg also had that music store going on for a while, so he was an important figure. And shure, there are better bands then Burzum, but remember, that Varg was to first to play this kind of atmospheric BM.

It was Euronymus's store.

But even without the murder Varg was already famous in the underground because of his groundbreaking first album which was a new kind of metal which had not been eplored before. The murder of Euronymus only made him famous in the media because of the television/newspaper media coverage he got after that.
02.08.2006 - 16:44
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=14603] on 02.08.2006 at 15:56

Written by Damnated on 02.08.2006 at 14:06

It was Euronymus's store.

But even without the murder Varg was already famous in the underground because of his groundbreaking first album which was a new kind of metal which had not been eplored before. The murder of Euronymus only made him famous in the media because of the television/newspaper media coverage he got after that.

Yup, Varg had Burznazg, and I confused the two.
----

02.08.2006 - 21:42
Sinsanity
Account deleted
Burznazg was a label, later changed to Cymophane.

Concerning Varg's popularity, it was him who started the wave of church arsons, long before the murder of Euronymous.
Concerning the popularity of BURZUM, his music wasn't so popular in the beginning, except for a really restraint circle; but what's certain, is that he gained a lot of appreciation for this different kind of black metal.
08.08.2006 - 17:23
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Burzum is amazing. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Det Som Engang Var, and Filosofem are all true masterpieces. This is among my favorite music in the black metal genre.
09.08.2006 - 07:50
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I ordered 'Burzum/Aske' instead of the others I said i would. Hopefully will be listening to it in 2 or 3 weeks truely cant wait
----

Hellcunt Smurf
09.08.2006 - 18:30
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Xtreme Jax on 09.08.2006 at 07:50

I ordered 'Burzum/Aske' instead of the others I said i would. Hopefully will be listening to it in 2 or 3 weeks truely cant wait

well... that is in my opinion the worst release he has ever put out. But it is enjoyable if you can stand incredibly monotonous riffing and horrible drumming ^^
09.08.2006 - 20:05
Ruines
Account deleted
what r u talking about ?

i love this album. Yes, it's not the best Burzum album but it has some great songs ( My journey to the stars, a lost forgotten sad spirit, ea lord of the depths, etc. ).
09.08.2006 - 21:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
My Journey To The Stars is really awesome! I don't won Burzum/Aske, but I like what I have heard from it.
----

09.08.2006 - 23:01
Basso
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14603] on 09.08.2006 at 20:05

what r u talking about ?

i love this album. Yes, it's not the best Burzum album but it has some great songs ( My journey to the stars, a lost forgotten sad spirit, ea lord of the depths, etc. ).

The thing is I actually hate some songs on that album also, even if I really like A lost forgotten sad spirit and My Journey to the stars, I just cant stand the song War. I do realise this might sound wierd, but I actually think that song is some of the worst songs I have ever heard (metal song that is..)
Many look at me and say what the fuck your a burzum fan but HATE songs from him? thats strange right... well thats me.
09.08.2006 - 23:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I find War quite a good song.. but well, each to his own.
----

10.08.2006 - 02:04
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
@ Basso: Well i downloaded a few songs from 'Burzum/Aske' just to hear what it was like and get an sample of the material on from it and I quite liked it. Just wanted to hear the rest of the songs that are on the album. Also the MS rating on their Discography page was high (9.7) so cant be that bad. i found 'War' quite good actually... but Nervel's right, to each his own

I'm going to ut an order in for 'Det Som Engang Var', i checked out the tracks 'Lost Wisdom' and 'Key To THe Gate' and thought they were awsome. Great cover too, drawn by Varg himself ive been told.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
10.08.2006 - 02:15
Ruines
Account deleted
You should get Hviss Lysset Tar Oss before that. The song "Det Som En Gang Var" that appears on it have been rated by a lot of people as the best black metal song ever.
10.08.2006 - 04:29
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Thanks, i'll put that on my next order... actually i'll put it on the same order with 'Det Som Engang Var' so i dont have to wait ages like i have been for them to arrive. Ive heard that alot that "Det Som En Gang Var" has been known as one of the best Black Metal songs ever, interested to hear it.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
10.08.2006 - 11:56
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Haha, with those conclusions, every Burzum release is the best in the world
12.08.2006 - 19:17
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Out of curiosity, have any of you ever seen Gummo?
----
Brujerizmo!
12.08.2006 - 19:50
NECURATU
Who is Gummo? I find Varg's drumming great. I'd say Varg the drummers kicks the arse of Varg the guitarist. My favourite Burzum songs are A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit & Dunkelheit. By the way, I think Abbath brought Varg into the black metal scene.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
12.08.2006 - 20:25
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Gummo is a 1997 cult film written and directed by Harmony Korine, better known for his writing contributions to Larry Clark's controversial 1995 film, Kids. The film stars Nick Sutton and Jacob Reynolds. Rather than following a linear plot, the film is presented in a series of seemingly unrelated vignettes.

Most of the filming was done in Nashville, Tennessee, and most of the actors had little or no experience. Chloë Sevigny, the long-time girlfriend of the director, plays a role, as does Korine himself.

The name of the movie is supposedly derived from Gummo Marx, the least known of the Marx Brothers, who quit the act before they became famous. Indeed, one of the main characters does what could be interpreted as a bizarre, exaggerated impersonation of the Marx brothers' comedic style in the film.

Chloë Sevigny was in charge of costumes for the film, and she reportedly purchased the majority of costumes at a local thrift store to preserve authenticity. The scene in which roaches crawl out of holes in a wall was filmed in a real roach-infested Nashville home.

The soundtrack contains bands such as Burzum, Bathory, Sleep, Spazz and the German Bethlehem who strengthen the disconcerting atmosphere of the film.

This unflinching examination of "poor white trash" has garnered both glowing reviews and thunderous condemnations for its disturbing content and strange style, which is simultaneously hyperrealistic and surrealistic. In addition to drug abuse, the film profiles a broad range of issues including suicide, grief, homophobia, prostitution, sexual abuse and sexual harassment, euthanasia and racism - all in a day in the life of small town USA.

***Taken From Wikipedia***

http://www.harmony-korine.com/img/gummo/046.jpg
----
Brujerizmo!
12.08.2006 - 21:25
Ernis
狼獾
Det som en gang var is indeed a great song...As my friend said this song fits best the mood of a dark winter night...I remember listening to it while taking long walks home in the winter from the music school while the snow covered everything and the sky was drowning in thick clouds....
12.08.2006 - 21:31
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 12.08.2006 at 21:25

Det som en gang var is indeed a great song...As my friend said this song fits best the mood of a dark winter night...I remember listening to it while taking long walks home in the winter from the music school while the snow covered everything and the sky was drowning in thick clouds....

Thats an awesome way to enjoy it. I did the same this winter... wonderful experiance. I also did a midwinter night-stroll with the kataxu album "Hunger of Elements", just amazing nocturnal music
08.09.2006 - 10:27
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
GARGH!! When i went in to see if my copy of 'Burzum' showed up, the guy said that they werent able to get it in and something else about the distributor that the store gets it from couldnt send them to X-countries ... Got me pissed off actaully.

I had a $5 deposit on the cd which gets taken off the price when i recieve and pay for it, and they didnt even tell me that they couldnt get the cd in!! So if i didnt remind them about it i would have gotten ripped off. Ahem, well ... guess i'll have to try and find it some other way
----

Hellcunt Smurf