Metal Storm logo
The importance of a live DVD

02.02.2009 - 03:20
sq_xeper
I recently bought the new Nevermore DVD (which is fucking awesome) and it made me think about something. Every metalhead knows how important a live performance of a specific band can be, specially when you live in a country where good bands often come and you dont have the possibility to see them, of course globalization has helped a lot but its even more difficult to underground bands to make huge tours. So that's when a live performace captured on a live DVD becomes very important (not live albums and not a DVD documentary), i.e.: underground bands like Deeds of Flesh, Sinister, Vital Remains, Immolation, to name a few, have live a DVD, but there are others that dont have, they're are at the top of their career and havent decided to make one, maybe its because of the monetary costs or other factors I dont know, but it would be great to their fans to make one. For example, if Nile or Bolt Thrower release a live DVD I would instantly buy it, without thinking it 'cause they're bands from the death metal elite that havent come to my country and in the case of BT I dont think they'll come any time soon, on the other hand bands like Morbid Angel or Suffocation dont have one but they've come to Chile so there's no problem with such bands (the most commonly known) but I'd still buy it right away

Ok, the point of this thread its to discuss two things:
- Do you think its important to a band to have a live DVD?
- Name a few bands that you would like them to have one and you'd buy it without even thinking it
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
02.02.2009 - 03:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I don't think DVDs are important at all. I rarely watch live DVDs simply because going to a concert is the entire experience, theres something lacking with just the DVD that makes it incredibly hard for me to sit all the way through, even if its a band I love.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.02.2009 - 03:47
sq_xeper
Written by Doc G. on 02.02.2009 at 03:25

I don't think DVDs are important at all. I rarely watch live DVDs simply because going to a concert is the entire experience, theres something lacking with just the DVD that makes it incredibly hard for me to sit all the way through, even if its a band I love.

of course, going to the concert its the entire experience if you have the chance to go you definetely do that, but what happens to the fans that live in places where they dont get the opportunity to see the bands. For example countries like Irak, Iran, Jerusalem, ect; If you've seen Global Metal , Iron Maiden played for the first time in India, the first biggest metal show; thats the point.
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
02.02.2009 - 14:47
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I usually buy the DVDs to have a perspective of what the tour was like that particular year. In the case of Dream Theater for instance, they always have different songs on their DVDs, songs that I'll never be able to see live, so I might as well watch them there. I also buy them because I am a collector.

In the case of Iron Maiden latest DVD "Live After Death" for instance has their perfomances from years ago, when they played in rock in rio, they have another concert of the Slavery Tour. Those are things I want to see because I wasn't there, it just gives me a great oportunity.

And love the live experience and although it's not like being there it gives you a bit of that adrenaline and feeling.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.02.2009 - 14:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have no DVD at all(music) I have novies(even its my mothers' so its mine) I dsont like DVD music DVD, ok prom video, tourdiary, bio, , news , pics whatever but live show, its boring watching it imn this case I prefere live CD album how DVD VHS, whatever, even its elgacy itsv live metareal who's important for whatever like some secret documents of Napaleaon days, same whit those footage, but Im not fan of DVD, I need a lot of food and booze when I watch, I better listen
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.02.2009 - 23:19
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I'm not a huge live recording person myself, be it audio or video. I have a few live DVDs though, Slayer, Opeth, a few CoF (unfortunately, the only good one is the one based around "From The Cradle To Enslaved), and Carpathian Forest's "We're Going To Hollywood For This!".

The plus of DVDs are differant vocal styles than on the original albums, often it seems like the vocalist changes their tones or slightly their expressions when they do the song live, and sometimes they kind of improve an old track if they've learned a thing or two in their years of practice and production. There there is the added extra commentary, periodic "shout outs" that the vocalist will do between verses, which can be amusing or add a more personal atmosphere at times.

DVD with bonus features are great though, be it interviews, galleries, the recording of an album, the bands misadventures (which are usually quite boring but they can be funny),bonus tracks, bootleg footage and and so on. I personally like Carpathian Forest's DVD a lot for everything on it.
05.02.2009 - 23:37
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
I'm not a fan of videos either, so I don't really buy DVDs...
However, what makes me buying without thought is the fact that I was at the show featured on it. Yeah, that's just for memories...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
07.02.2009 - 15:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
1) not necessary, but when band performs really great gig, it is good when it is recorded forever

2) i dont know what you exactly mean with this "without thinking" - you always have to think i some way - eg. if you do have enough money to spend it for and so...but i want some specific live DVDs - End of an Era by Nighwish and The Day The Earth Shook - The Absolute Power by Manowar, because i see some vids on youtube from this actions and they are both wonderful and extra-strong concerts...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.02.2009 - 20:45
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
I like listening to live CDs by bands I like because it's a "different version" of their songs, if they're a good live band the songs will have more energy which usually makes up for the worse production and of course live albums are usually a kind of best of too.

However I never really understood the value of live DVDs. For me a concert is about the atmosphere and about "being there" in the middle of all of it if you know what I mean
A DVD can't give me that, and it seems extremely boring for me to see a band performing for over an hour without really being there... Before I went to concerts regularly I liked watching concerts by bands I liked reeeally much, but since the first few real concerts I've been to myself watching live performances has always bored the shit out of me.
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
08.02.2009 - 21:00
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I guess people living in places where you dont get to watch some of your favorite bands live, would like DVDs, its the closest thing to actually watching the band live. I know watching a band live is a whole different experience, but for us people who dont get anything at all apart from local bands we make do with the dvds. I personally havent really watched to many live dvds.But I loved Gojiras Link alive i thought it was brilliant. And the energy of the gig actually was captured on the dvd. Martyrs havoc in quebec was also really good.
I always wanted to see nevermore release a live dvd which they just did
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
16.02.2009 - 04:58
Emperial_Death
I agree , in the fact that makes posisible and accesible , to people who don't have the oportunity to see bands live , and gives the way to apreciate and feel the power of bands live , and to see the devastation , and magnificent of metal, dvd's lije live in L.a. from Death , ha such a delight
----
''Support Music Not Rumors'' C.S.
16.02.2009 - 06:53
Throne Dweller
I don't personally get as involved with the DVDs as I do with the live performances. But I've only ever gotten Digipaks with gigs on a separate disc.

The only good I see of them is to check whether the vocalist is half as good as the recordings, which they normally aren't.
17.02.2009 - 16:48
Ascendant187
Written by Throne Dweller on 16.02.2009 at 06:53

I don't personally get as involved with the DVDs as I do with the live performances. But I've only ever gotten Digipaks with gigs on a separate disc.

The only good I see of them is to check whether the vocalist is half as good as the recordings, which they normally aren't.

Yeah, I'm often left a little disappointed in a DVD because of the overall performance of a singer or hearing the guitar work in a completely different light (sometimes you don't hear every little nuance like you might on the studio album). Then again a DVD can be a very positive experience (the best examples I can think of are Opeth and Enslaved - brilliant live DVDs, in my opinion). A live DVD for the sake of it is generally hit or miss but, like previously stated, a live DVD capturing a great show is something to behold - generally for years to come.
17.02.2009 - 16:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ascendant187 on 17.02.2009 at 16:48

Yeah, I'm often left a little disappointed in a DVD because of the overall performance of a singer or hearing the guitar work in a completely different light (sometimes you don't hear every little nuance like you might on the studio album). Then again a DVD can be a very positive experience (the best examples I can think of are Opeth and Enslaved - brilliant live DVDs, in my opinion). A live DVD for the sake of it is generally hit or miss but, like previously stated, a live DVD capturing a great show is something to behold - generally for years to come.

Totally agreed. That's why I usually first view the dvd before buying. Unless it is of course a concert I attended then I just need to have it. Currently I am trying to track down dvd's of all the Dynamo Open Airs I attended. I know that ALL the performances before 1993 have been filmed, so they must be aorund somewhere
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.02.2009 - 17:36
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I like concert DVDs and normally buy a few once in a while, but I just don't have the time to watch them. That's the good thing about a live CD, you can do other things while listening, that's kinda hard while watching a DVD.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
17.02.2009 - 17:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by GT on 17.02.2009 at 17:36

That's the good thing about a live CD, you can do other things while listening, that's kinda hard while watching a DVD.

What usually happens with me is I watch such a dvd once and the other times I play it as live cd over my 5.1 surround system
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.02.2009 - 17:44
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.02.2009 at 17:37

That's the good thing about a live CD, you can do other things while listening, that's kinda hard while watching a DVD.

What usually happens with me is I watch such a dvd once and the other times I play it as live cd over my 5.1 surround system

Yeah that might be a solution...I'll just have to get myself a surround system then and an appartment big enough to actually make it work properly
----

17.02.2009 - 17:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by GT on 17.02.2009 at 17:44

Yeah that might be a solution...I'll just have to get myself a surround system then and an appartment big enough to actually make it work properly

Surround systems already work brilliantly in a room of 5 x 6 metres
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.02.2009 - 17:49
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.02.2009 at 17:47

That's what I mean. My entire appartment is just 42 square meters in total!
----

17.02.2009 - 17:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by GT on 17.02.2009 at 17:49

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.02.2009 at 17:47

That's more in total than what I have
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.02.2009 - 18:00
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.02.2009 at 17:55

Written by GT on 17.02.2009 at 17:49

That's more in total than what I have

That's just because all your CDs take up so much room

Anyway enough with the off-topic talk. I'll keep your idea in mind
----

17.02.2009 - 20:08
annodomini
I am a big fan of live Dvd's. Its quite different thing than live performance. Its really important, because it will be left for other generations.

And After Forever dvd will be my life gift, but that will be never possible.
----
the riddle wants to be...
18.02.2009 - 10:29
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I ordered two new CDs:

Rotting Christ - Thy Mighty Contract
Rotting Christ - Triarchy of the Lost Lovers

My new RT saga begins, I'll get all their albums now progressively. I already have Sanctus Diavolos. I want to get all of them except for Sleep of The Angels, and probably A Dead Poem. We'll see.
----

My Instagram
18.02.2009 - 12:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 18.02.2009 at 10:29

I ordered two new CDs:

My new RT saga begins, I'll get all their albums now progressively. I already have Sanctus Diavolos. I want to get all of them except for Sleep of The Angels, and probably A Dead Poem. We'll see.

I think you posted in the wrong thread
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.02.2009 - 12:45
TheBigRossowski
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.02.2009 at 12:07

I ordered two new CDs:

Hahaha! Classic, two times in one month! Well, two different people, but it doesn't matter. Maybe if I posted EVERY time SOMETHING happened to me in the 'metal world' I'd have thousands of posts too.

I wrote Northern Heritage about the Funeral Mist and Aspa said they won't do pre-orders because the CD isn't listed yet....;)

I don't care TOO much for Live DVDs...it's not really a big deal. I guess it's good for the people who could never make it to these shows, but in my position it's not a big deal. Even though there are still many bands I haven't seen live, I'm pretty sure I can accept that....or at least wait to see them.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
18.02.2009 - 12:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.02.2009 at 12:07

I ordered two new CDs:

lol You're right. Sorry guys
----

My Instagram
18.02.2009 - 13:17
Abattoir
Staff
Well, I kinda like live DVD's. Especially those, which are filmed on Open Air Festivals with lots of crowd. For example Blind Guardian - Imaginations Through The Looking Glass is pretty amazing concert. You know those songs when all crowd sings along (The Bard's Song, Valhalla) which makes in you a great, stunning feeling. These kind of concert are memorable and that's why I'm glad that I can have DVD as this one in my collection.
20.02.2009 - 12:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I saw The Doors concert in early days and leitehr days it was 2+2 hours + 30 min after each interwiew, it was historical wiews, but sorry wtaching live music its boring, I like it , listening yes but watching ... I drunk about 20 bottles of beer since it was so boring and damn I hate drink so much, ehhh maybe i shood try cocai to understand such live DVD
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.11.2009 - 17:08
Razorback
THe best solution is to see favourite band live but if there is no possibility for that dvd is great,beacuse it's something between live concert and album,you are not able to enjoy full spectacle but still it gives you more then album,you can feel part of that energy,and music is more "alive and wild" because band usualy give their best ,it's not the same when you record in the studio and share it with thousands of people who are singing your lyrics with you
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
25.11.2009 - 03:09
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
No, a band having a DVD is not important. It's definitly cool at times. But not important.

As for what band I Would like to realease a DVD? I guess it'd be cool if Carcass released one or At the Gates or something.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.