Metal Storm logo
Ephel Duath

17.05.2006 - 10:40
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Who else is into this extraordinary group of Italians? For those who aren't, they are a jazz fusion style of metal (avantgarde), but in their early days with the releases of Phormula and Rephormula they were a progressive black metal band (there was no jazziness).

Here is their official website: http://www.ephelduath.net/ If you want to hear some songs and see a video click on the "downloads" link on the site.

Personally, I love these guys. Actually they were one of the first metal bands I ever listened to. Their older stuff (Phormula, and Rephormula) was really good IMO, I think that they had a good sound back then. Their newer stuff (Painter's Palette, Pain Necessary to Know) is even better IMO. I really enjoy the funky jazziness they added to the music, but I also really like the heavy parts of their sound. These guys are simply creative and briliant.

So, what does everyone else think?
19.05.2006 - 11:07
Renessanss
Grand Gardener
They really are an extraordinary group, though I'm not that much into Phormula/Rephormula.
Though they aren't the first band to mix extreme metal with jazz elements they are so far the best IMO.
"Painter's Palette" is a striking release and I really miss the occasional clean vocals which are absent in "Pain Necessary To Know" but then again "Palette" didn't have such amazing musical structures like "Pain..."
Ephel Duath is certainly a band worth your time
----
06.06.2006 - 23:28
bangladesh
I only know "pain Necessry to know" It´s realy good, all the ambient and the structures are amazing.
What about the other albuns? I have read that in back times their sound was quite different...more blackish
08.06.2006 - 09:16
miss_d
i have no album of them but seen them live a short while ago. it was somehow both: interesting to listen/watch, but at the same time i found it very hard to keep up the attention. perhaps because i didn't know anything of them : )
08.06.2006 - 14:28
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
The Pain Necessary to Know is excellent, jazzy, funky, technical, schizophrenic. My favourite Italian band by far
08.06.2006 - 21:47
Damnated
Churchburner
I wont label them as technical thrash. Their earlier albums Phormula nad Re-Phormula are more avantgarde with some strong BM elements. I really like these 2 albums mainly for the originality and the great sound. I did not listen to the new album though, I'm just affraid
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
09.06.2006 - 00:42
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
@Damnated, check it out, it's great. No more BM elements, but I for one don't miss them I might be so bold as to classify them as jazzcore, but still, it's Ephel Duath
11.06.2006 - 17:00
mvikred
lots of jazz thrown into their music ... love them for that ... a very unlike metal band .... the last album supposedly was recorded by a jazz drummer .. some old guy ... it was done intentionally to get the jazz element into the music....atleast, thts wat i read sometime back
----
I'm addicted to Technical Death Metal ... Somebody save me
11.06.2006 - 17:55
Damnated
Churchburner
I'm going to listen to it then, this afternoon.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.06.2006 - 06:04
Horlequism
Account deleted
I've heard stuff off of their first album...amazing how black metal blast beats are mixed with odd time signatures and synthesizers and other black metal influences...their newer material is sort of strange...there is black metal and hardcore punk stuff and jazz and funk and clean guitar stuff...very all over the place indeed...
13.06.2006 - 21:32
Falcon
It's an amazing band indeed, IMO one of the best bands that combines metal with jazz
----

°~\m/~° Thoughts of death inside tear me apart from the core of my soul °~\m/~°
14.06.2006 - 15:49
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Good stuff. I was actually busy listening to Hymen Holocaust, so I'll keep doing that, but this shit is good.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.08.2006 - 22:10
Basso
Account deleted
I have only heard Phormula. Have to check the other stuff out i guess!
29.08.2006 - 13:49
Hermanubis
Account deleted
Definately a brilliant band, always good to see bands stretching the limits of metal without being ridiculous.
20.10.2006 - 12:24
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Ephel Duath - Live Videos From Tuesday's Camden Show Online:

You can watch eccentric Progressive/Jazz-metallers Ephel Duath on YouTube in two short snippets from Tuesday night's UK Camden Underworld show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSI0ShrtmCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFM_trI8tTs
----
Your favorite band sucks.
01.07.2007 - 12:08
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Video footage Ephel Duath performing the song 'I Killed Rebecca' at Hellfest 2007 in Clisson has been posted at YouTube here.

Also Ephel Duath recently posted the song "Hole IV" from the upcoming album "Pain Remixes the Known" on their MySpace page at this location.

"Pain Remixes the Known", a collection of remixes of the tracks that appeared on the 2006 album "Pain Necessary to Know" will be released on July 23 via Earache Records.
02.08.2007 - 21:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Lucas on 14.06.2006 at 15:49

Good stuff. I was actually busy listening to Hymen Holocaust, so I'll keep doing that, but this shit is good.

Idiot. Hymen Holocaust is nothing compared to this extraordinary, schizophrenic ensemble. They kick the shit out of Akercocke when talking about mood changes as well.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.12.2007 - 17:51
FOOCK Nam
From the last stuff, I see its seemed similarly to Genghis Tron.
23.02.2009 - 00:29
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
Have anyone else listened to their last album ? it sounds quite good, diferent from the previous efforts I would say this album have some bits of influences from meshuggah and kekal. I haven't get into the album but I enjoy it now and then, i'll give it some more listens, but anyhow it's a nice stiep for this band.
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
23.02.2009 - 11:46
Damnated
Churchburner
Through My Dog's Eyes is definitely a bad album, i will try to forget it. it was a matter of time i guess before good randomness became annoying randomness.
----

04.06.2009 - 15:03
Abattoir
Staff
Well the band has split up with Earache Records as I concluded out of the guitarist short statement, which is: ''I'm kind of thrilled to announce that Ephel Duath is no more on Earache Records''.

Interesting reaction...