Metal Storm logo
Metal with a message?

Original post

Posted by TheBigRossowski, 12.03.2009 - 19:55
By this I don't mean secret messages as I've read in previous posts. After considering the genres and certain artists, I was curious how people felt about this, that is, metal with a message. In fact, there are "messages" in most genres, country, pop, rap. Everything from love to praising the Lord to killing your neighbor. Some messages are positive and some artists have a rather negative message. Some people like Kvarforth (Shining) claim they are about manipulating young people in metal. However, there has been a lot of symbolism and new themes introduced to me personally through metal. For example, Gorath's "Misotheism" introduced some new Gnostic facts that I was unfamiliar with.

Do you think this is important or do you prefer metal without any certain "depth". There are a lot of bands bringing in the philosophical nature of life and others... just doing there thing. In relation, is this harmful or prosperous? I guess it's a bit of both, but I wanted to hear some opinions of other dudes.

That's enough acid for one day.
09.09.2009 - 15:08
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by TheBigRossowski on 09.09.2009 at 13:53

Why couldn't Dimmu Borgir simply write ''Religion Sickens Me'' and instead have this symbol. It would have made much more sense. Hell, they could have even used the Thunderbold from Harry Potter, now that IS rebellious...

You made me laugh my ass off with the last part of your post.

As for "too many bands use these things merely to provoke people", this might be true, although whether these topics provoke anyone (except for religious fundamentalists) in this day and age anymore is questionable imo.

Also I think that many bands use these symbols out of habit, since metal has flirted with dark/satanic imagery from its beginning and many people may regard these things as integral parts of metal.
09.09.2009 - 15:13
Warman
Erotic Stains
Music with a depth and message has always been much more interesting to me. It doesn't matter if I like it or agree with the message(s), as long as the band stands for it and is telling their story about the world. One good example is Lifelover, I've been checking out their profiles at a swedish site and some of them really seem to be as twisted and depressed as their music/lyrics. Everything about the songs seems to be so much better if there really is a thought or feeling behind it.
----
09.09.2009 - 23:00
routa
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 11.06.2009 at 00:35

That might be one of the reasons I just can't seem to get into Black Metal. Sure, I can appreciate it. The raw nature of the music is actually very appealing, but the anti-Christian message just doesn't sit well with me. Call me a poser or fake Metalhead if you want, but I'll take Demon Hunter over Burzum and moment of the day.

Quite the opposite, that's a rather admirable stance, and kinda rare novadays.
09.09.2009 - 23:37
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The whole thing is Dane Train's belief...no wonder he cannot "sit well with" anti-christian ideology...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

09.09.2009 - 23:50
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Why would anyone refuse to listen to a piece of music purely because they disagree with the message of the music? I don't mean this in the sense of "It's just music" but how can you take the attitude that a particular ideology is definitively wrong and refuse to even consider it and then claim your own opinion counts for anything? How can democracy mean anything if people aren't really thinking for themselves because they're too concerned with what's socially accepted to be "right" and "wrong"?
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
10.09.2009 - 00:57
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Ellrohir on 09.09.2009 at 23:37

The whole thing is Dane Train's belief...no wonder he cannot "sit well with" anti-christian ideology...

That's logical.
I personally couldn't listen to something that would do the same functions as an advert of some religion, but in the same time some bands are too obsessed with all this anti-Christianity, so I just found it lame and boring. I like when there are interesting lyrics, based on feelings or some happenings, facts, thoughts, not religion. I actually found Shade Empire's lyrics pretty cool - I didn't notice that earlier.

Yeah, and Christian rock bands or how they call themselves do no harm to me as well as long they don't mention the words "God" or "Lord" in every sentence or something. :> Okay, P.O.D. with their Zion which they mention quite often is a cool band anyway.

--
I feel like I just wrote off-topic.
10.09.2009 - 01:52
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I find it kind of ironic that when people here at Metal Storm claim that they won't listen to Christian Metal they are cheered. But when I say I don't want to listen to anti-Christian music I am somehow "wrong" in my views?
----
(space for rent)
10.09.2009 - 09:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I have no prob to listen to bands like Stryper

and i didnt tell you are "wrong"...i just said, why i think you are claiming it...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.09.2009 - 18:59
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Dane Train on 10.09.2009 at 01:52

I find it kind of ironic that when people here at Metal Storm claim that they won't listen to Christian Metal they are cheered. But when I say I don't want to listen to anti-Christian music I am somehow "wrong" in my views?

When has this happened? Perhaps someone has said this about Christian black metal and the reasons for that should be obvious. That said, I'd have no problem listening to "christian black metal" if I heard some that was good (The last Dodfodd tape was great but that's before the main member became catholic).
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
10.09.2009 - 19:54
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 10.09.2009 at 09:59

I have no prob to listen to bands like Stryper

and i didnt tell you are "wrong"...i just said, why i think you are claiming it...

I wasn't referring to you with that post.
----
(space for rent)
10.09.2009 - 20:23
TheBigRossowski
I would listen to a band without any message, but it's more interesting to hear a band with a message. Something that one can easily relate too... and not love songs either. However, like I said, I would still listen to NSBM or Christian Black metal if it's interesting musically. That doesn't mean I think their message is important.

To each his own. The Dude abides...
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
11.06.2010 - 22:33
busta5000
Account deleted
Megadeth - END GAME

has a big message its about the new world order using mind control.
20.07.2010 - 02:51
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Well, I certainly like bands, whose lyrics have a message or a moral to tell. For example, I've always loved Sonata Arctica's White Pearl Black Oceans, a song that basically tells: If you shag another man's wife, very bad things will happen. Blind Guardian's Age Of False Innocense is right on the money, Ayreon's The Human Equation is a story about overcoming one's past and defeating negative emotions and I love that album. Music is most important, but good messages rule!
20.07.2010 - 04:21
Edmund Fogg
Well it all depends of the mood I'm in.I won't listen to meaningfull lyricalled based music if I had a shitty day.I mostly uses more thoughtfull Metal to show my non metal friends that Metal can be deeper then what they think,other then that music is more important and if there's a message that comes with it well I take it as a bonus
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
20.07.2010 - 04:49
Kennoth
Message is an important part of any music, including metal. I delegate a great deal of importance to lyrics, and I find them to be equally important as music.

Having said that, they can range from all kinds of topics: depressive, uplifting, inspiring, violent, love, political, apstract, etc.

And I agree on people above me, I won't listen to a band whose views I don't agree with (especially if they show it blatantly obvious with lyrics), namely overly preachy Christian bands.

Written by Dane Train on 10.09.2009 at 01:52

Ironic, yet understandable, given the think-for-yourself attitude metal music promotes, which seriously clashes with organized religions.

But I agree on you, you definitely aren't wrong in your views, at least not in my book. (despite being a devoted atheist myself)
----
*insert something deep and profound*
20.07.2010 - 11:09
Autius
In my own opinion i think that musicc without a message is somewhat meaningless

Music should have a mesage i think, becuase music should touch someone and should have a meaning to someone, what meaning you get out of it is yours,, and may not be something weather it strikes you negativly or poitivily, weather it changes your life, the way you think, or sends you on a killing spree, all depends what you get out of it.

you are probley thinking as reading this that all i sayed goes to support music having meaning not message's
well message's have meaning to everyone who notice's the message, and music without a message, point, etc does not have meaning attached to it in my eyes, to me all it is would be someone fucking around on the guitar, if someone fell the need to correct me go ahead, but this is merely my view
----
Som lyset forsvinner
mørket vokser
som lyset forsvinner
Vi Brenn i mørket
som lyset forsvinner
slutten morgener i nærheten