Metal Storm logo
Epica vs Haggard

Poll

Who are doing the better symphonic songs & melodies?

Haggard
Epica

Total votes: 94
11.07.2006 - 21:29
Bash'
:)
Well

i knew the brilliant band Epica from about a year, i like their stuff the max, but newly i've tried Haggard's stuff to find that i was missing a really big band.

both have their superb symphonics, really want to know who are better in your opinions, both have killer songs that you cannot stop listening when you start to

THE COMPARING IS BETWEEN SYMPHONICS & MELODIES THEMSELVES NOT THE BANDS (hope ppl you can understand)

NOTE : I know ppl won't take this topic easily .. everybody want us to compare between Epica vs. After Forever or Haggard vs. Therion ... we don't have to copy last battles from the old forum and paste them here, this is just a new idea of comparing those two bands symphonics not more..
if the idea still unwelcomed to you friends then you don't have to write something here.....
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
12.07.2006 - 17:45
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
That was a very difficult choice for me, since Epica and Haggard are my two favorite bands.

The poll asked which of these bands has better symphonics. In this case, I choose Haggard, because of the great variety of instruments, and the excellent work the band do in lenght songs like "Awaking The Centuries", "Allinizio E La Morte" or "In A Pale Moon's Shadow" which are real masterpieces
Or instrumental songs like "Courante" or "Requiem In D-Minor" played like real classical music, with a lot of violins and some other medieval instruments

So, Haggard has an excellent management of all that kind of modern and ancient instruments besides the mixture between classical/medieval music and metal. That's the reason of my choice
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
12.07.2006 - 17:47
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Voted Haggard because of all the classical instruments and an amazing voice
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
12.07.2006 - 17:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I vote for Haggard
Epics - Well great band, but well before bying album we can gusee how it will sounds and only diferent lyrics, but still Epica are greatband,
haggard - You never knows how how it will sounds, its variuss influences, and all lyrics are so great, and band has changd true years and everyt album are lil' difernent and bTW I love lyric ''Daddy Was Her Firts Man''
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.07.2006 - 08:36
Linak
I Own You Bitch
I'm voting Haggard and I would a million times, specially over Epica, a band I consider to be completely ordinary and nothing special at all, then again Haggard is a great band, with unbelievable musicians and when it comes to comparing these two bands' melodies, there's no question on who's better, even though I'm not a big fan of the genre at al ^^
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
13.07.2006 - 09:32
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Linak on 13.07.2006 at 08:36

I'm voting Haggard and I would a million times, specially over Epica, a band I consider to be completely ordinary and nothing special at all

Thank you!! I thought I was the only non-Epica fan in the metalworld. I don't understand their popularity; a hot chick can only get you so far. Needless to say I voted Haggard. Like Linak, I'm not a huge fan of either band - but concerning Haggard that's a personal taste preference. I have great respect musically for this band although I rarely spin the albums. Epica, though, yeah... ordinary.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
13.07.2006 - 13:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 13.07.2006 at 09:32

Written by Linak on 13.07.2006 at 08:36

I'm voting Haggard and I would a million times, specially over Epica, a band I consider to be completely ordinary and nothing special at all

Thank you!! I thought I was the only non-Epica fan in the metalworld. I don't understand their popularity; a hot chick can only get you so far. Needless to say I voted Haggard. Like Linak, I'm not a huge fan of either band - but concerning Haggard that's a personal taste preference. I have great respect musically for this band although I rarely spin the albums. Epica, though, yeah... ordinary.

Just same I cant understand so popularity of Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Nocturnal Rites and CoB followers, but in same rtime good realy good power metal bands are underground, and I cant understand so populaity of Scandinavian metal, becsue great countries Germany, Italy and France are underground, even UK in nowdays are there, WHY?
----

apos;'
[image]
13.07.2006 - 19:35
DarkMistress
i don´t find a relation between these bands, maybe therion vs haggard would be a better choice

anyway, voted Haggard, amazing songs, lyrics and composition (it´s also one of my fave bands)
----
Wait in fire
14.07.2006 - 00:05
Bash'
@shadowlady: well, the relation between these bands are on the symphonics they are doing, instruments used (not at all i know, but still), both have multiple singers and so... haven't you read The Alchemist saying it's a hard question

@k7: i think Scandinavian metal really deserve this popularity, me for example, when i listen for a new band to me and am surprised from how much it's brilliant, i find it Scandinavian band...!!!
also me have the same opinion about those undergrounded bands you were talking about
----

14.07.2006 - 01:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Bash' on 14.07.2006 at 00:05

@k7: i think Scandinavian metal really deserve this popularity, me for example, when i listen for a new band to me and am surprised from how much it's brilliant, i find it Scandinavian band...!!!
also me have the same opinion about those undergrounded bands you were talking about

Then try German, French and Italian new bands or old who is new for soem one if you need touriste giude PM me I will introduce whit those countries
Im disapointed about Swedish metal because I discovere from 1000(those what I know before dont counts) band sonly 40 what I like, in same tiem I ceck 300frnch bands and I love about 120, so and in France are more how 1000 bands
----

apos;'
[image]
19.07.2006 - 04:45
mightywolf
Account deleted
mmm, i like more epica, but maybe becouse i hear them more jajaja but haggard is a great band too
19.07.2006 - 07:24
bobcusp
Account deleted
Epica suxxx ... Epica sound more like Nightwish trying to grown ... but like Nightwish, will not upgrade much then Wishmaster... every Epica musica seems the same... Hate it... I hear the phanton agony and ask myself how many music this album did have ...
But.... When I put Haggard to play ... Empuur Si Muove, I feel the music, the changes... It makes me High ... I kind of dreamawake ... just beauty like their lyrics ... Gallieo Gallilei a great man with a great band telling his history...
20.07.2006 - 07:11
Surtur
Jajajaja this thread has no sense Haggard of course, Epica has nothing against them, well maybe nothing against the most of the good metal bands...
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
24.07.2006 - 12:36
VaginalDisease
Account deleted
Epica are great, but they are nothing to compare to best band on earth, right ?
Haggard all the way.
24.07.2006 - 21:05
DarkMistress

@shadowlady: well, the relation between these bands are on the symphonics they are doing, instruments used (not at all i know, but still), both have multiple singers and so... haven't you read The Alchemist saying it's a hard question

i didn´t mean that, if you say that way, could be rhapsody vs. epica or something like that.:p it´s still senseless, i mean, a poll epica vs after forever would be reasonable, but haggard could be against therion (therion of albums like deggial and secret of the runes)
----
Wait in fire
24.07.2006 - 21:56
Bash'
Written by DarkMistress on 24.07.2006 at 21:05

i didn´t mean that, if you say that way, could be rhapsody vs. epica or something like that.:p it´s still senseless, i mean, a poll epica vs after forever would be reasonable, but haggard could be against therion (therion of albums like deggial and secret of the runes)

not senseless that way, also thanx for the idea to compare between AF vs. Epica or Haggard vs. Therion ... actually i don't know therion very well .. and really didn't find that similarity all ppl talking about, i didn't found that..!!! i only know Lamuria for therion and it doesn't seem to be similar too much..
anyway if the idea of comparing Epica vs. Haggard seems to be strange all that much it would be good... that's better than copying and pasting battles from the old forum and repeat them here again... new ideas still good all time... still better than comparing Epica with a power band..!!

still Epica and Haggard aren't contradicts .. both still have a similar theme / atmosphere ... and it's a question i want to know your opinions about it friends

thanx..
----

24.07.2006 - 22:33
DarkMistress
@everdream: i didn´t say that either, it´s a good idea, however, i won´t say anything else, keep nice
----
Wait in fire
26.07.2006 - 16:37
Alouqua
Account deleted
Ok, I'm not going to say that they don't have similar elements in their music but I can't find a way to compare them.. Just my opinion...
But well, the real thing here... I choose Haggard without any dubt.
Their music is more complex and all those instruments and the lyrics, is just an amazing band.
I like Epica, but there's nothing to do I choose Haggardt.
And I don't think that Epica is ordinary, Simone have beautiful and sweet VOICE (not just a pretty face) and they have Mark who is a great musician.
26.07.2006 - 16:51
onheil
Account deleted
YOU CAN'T COMPARE THESE BANDS!!

god, some people here are so retarded,..stop trying to compare bands that cannot be compared morons!!

if you wanna compare, then compare Haggard with Therion and Epica with after Forever or tristania or something like that.

BUT STOP MAKING A COMPLETE FOOL OF YOURSELF BY COMPARING 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BANDS THAT PLAY 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MUSICSTYLES!!!!!!!!!!
28.07.2006 - 03:40
Pyro
Account deleted
Epica vs Haggard? It sounds to me like: Edguy vs Gorgoroth, because both of em have guitars.
Anyhow, I like Haggard the most, never been a huge fan of those dutch symphonic bands, but I'm voting Haggard because Awaking the Centuries is a great album, and Ippur si Muove too, Epica hasn't made pretty good albums, most of their popularity is because Simone Simons is so HOT!
28.07.2006 - 20:31
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Hagard have more symphonic structures than epica, i think the simone's band uses a loy of synths, so the best band i haggard, i like a lot over epica!
12.08.2006 - 23:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Vinnie R. on 28.07.2006 at 20:31

Hagard have more symphonic structures than epica, i think the simone's band uses a loy of synths, so the best band i haggard, i like a lot over epica!

Agrei its more symhonic, and diferent instrument section, I dunno them in english, but Epica has only opheratic voice, guitars, keybords, drums, bass thats all, one album ok, but if all albums be simmilar year after yrear?
Hagaard start like death metal, and still thay had amazing lyrics and thay can be like clasical music concert and sme time death metal, and thaysw why i like them.
----

apos;'
[image]
06.09.2006 - 00:14
Angellorus
Account deleted
Haggard are superb, they're genius if you compare them with Epica (good but a little boring band)
08.09.2006 - 22:02
Procardia
Account deleted
I voted Epica, I think they're the best doing symphonics melodies.
09.09.2006 - 18:53
duyhung
Account deleted
I choose Haggard, though it's difficult to compare these 2 bands. Haggard's music is more complex than Epica's
04.11.2006 - 00:33
Zendrian
Account deleted
Gothic VS Symphonic Folk metal CANT COMPARE.
if we go for the melodies and complex aspects haggard will beat epica.
but epica is really great too (and have mark and simone, two of my favorite musicians).
two great bands, but in the end haggard wins (truly a hard choice!!!! for not saying the hardest)
04.11.2006 - 02:35
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I received a free Epica album from work and after hearing the first three tracks, I stopped the album and sold it a few days later. Yay for me...I made $5 off of Epica. Their music just doesn't go well together and the vocals are far too weak for the instruments. I know that this thread is about which band has better symphonics and I still voted for Haggard. The symphonic instruments used in Haggard are more varied and add a nice depth to the music. Plus, doesn't Epica just use keyboards? I haven't heard Epica in about a year so I might just be talking out of my ass.
04.11.2006 - 03:14
Bitch Boy
@ pyroleprechaun: yes, Epica use only keyboards. Haggard is almost an orchestra.
10.11.2006 - 05:50
Lorien
Account deleted
They are using orchestra, not the whole but mostly violins

I agree they are incomparable but my votes goes to Epica still
11.11.2006 - 19:35
Zendrian
Account deleted
Written by Bitch Boy on 04.11.2006 at 03:14

@ pyroleprechaun: yes, Epica use only keyboards. Haggard is almost an orchestra.

ONLY KEYBOARDS, havent u heard the phantom agony, if u post at least know something about the bands.