Metal Storm logo
Nevermore

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 10:54
"Seattle's NEVERMORE welcome you to "This Godless Endeavor", a grand overture where musical tapestries are fascinatingly complex while entirely accessible. The band's sixth full-length marks another peak in NEVERMORE's rapid ascend in the Metal scene and falls into line with its highly acclaimed predecessors. The first of which being the self-titled debut album released in 1995, one year after the official foundation of the band by former SANCTUARY members Warrel Dane (vocals), Jeff Loomis (guitar) and Jim Sheppard (bass). By adding drummer Van Williams the nucleus of NEVERMORE was born. Though at that time the world all-to-willingly embraced the Grunge-movement, the band dared to continue their vision for a creative and multi-faceted Metal sound. The internationally reputed producer Neil Kernon (Queensryche, Judas Priest, Flotsam & Jetsam, Yes, Rolling Stones, Journey) believed in the potential of NEVERMORE and recorded their impressive debut at his own risk. It did not take too long until the quartet was signed to Century Media Records and due to the fans' pleasant memories of SANCTUARY, and NEVERMORE's touring activities (Europe with Blind Guardian, US with Death) they could raise a good amount of interest throughout the Metal scene and found a lot of thankful purchasers.

The follow-up "In Memory" EP (1996) and the second album "The Politics Of Ecstasy" (1996) displayed NEVERMORE on their quest for their very own, unmistakable sound. The band experimented with a whole lot of influences from various styles and impressed with a great degree of highly-technical finesse that never endangered the catchiness of the songs. Still, NEVERMORE never wrote songs that easily stuck in your head, even though they're nowhere near as complicated as an Ikea construction manual, resulting in listeners giving their albums four or five runs before the variety of each song becomes obvious.

After "The Politics Of Ecstasy" the band parted ways with their second guitarist Pat O'Brien (now in Cannibal Corpse) and it took them almost a year until they found former Forbidden-member Tim Calvert to fill the vacant spot. With this line-up they recorded the masterly "Dreaming Neon Black" (1999) which showed the perfect balance between all the different components of the NEVERMORE sound. There were small, complex mini-dramas as well as super-tight thrashers and quiet, emotional tunes opposed to angry noise eruptions. NEVERMORE managed to create an album equipped with numerous non-metal trademarks which sound appealing to the usually very sensitively reacting true metal community. Or maybe it was still metal enough that it could not even upset the die-hard purists? Anyway, it is a matter of fact that the career of our five heroes just went straight up. Seemingly endless, but still extremely successful tours followed the release, the US was toured not less than four times, Europe was frequently visited (with LeFay - now Morgana Lefay again -, Sacred Steel, Nocturnal Rites) and they even stopped in Australia for a number of shows. After all, guitarist Tim Calvert decided to leave the band in early 2000 to focus on non-musical activities. The remaining band members decided to carry on as a four-piece and did not hesitate to start recording their fourth album "Dead Heart In A Dead World (2000)". For the first time not Neil Kernon but Andy Sneap (Machine Head, Testament, Skinlab, Napalm Death, Stuck Mojo) worked the knobs and moved especially Loomis "skin-flaying" guitar play to the production's forefront. Again tireless world touring followed and turned songs like "Narcosynthesis" and "Inside Four Walls" into anthemic fan favorites. German Rock Hard magazine stated fittingly: "This is the masterpiece of one of the most talented bands in present time".

2003's Enemies Of Reality received similar praise: "must have album of the year" said Outburn Magazine, Guitar One called NEVERMORE's newest songs "opuses that often reach dark symphonic peaks". With performing at Europe's largest rock festivals including the infamous Dynamo, the prestigious Wacken Open Air and sharing stage with metal's elite including Arch Enemy, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Iced Earth, King Diamond and Opeth throughout their recording career NEVERMORE could manifest the high position they deservedly occupy within the metal scene.

Now, in 2005, "This Godless Endeavor" is the title of the band's latest work to date and was recorded at England's Backstage Studios, once again with Andy Sneap (who not only produced "Dead Heart In A Dead World" but also just recently re-worked "Enemies Of Reality"). "This Godless Endeavor" captures "the most ripping guitar work we've recorded", says vocalist Warrel Dane. Marking his NEVERMORE recording debut, guitarist Steve Smyth (ex-Testament/Dragonlord) joins core members Dane, Jeff Loomis, Jim Sheppard and Van Williams. Hugh Syme (Rush, Megadeth) provided stark album artwork, which according to Dane, "incorporates our ongoing theme of everyone wearing a mask." Appearing on the mainstage of Megadeth's Gigantour throughout the summer as well as moving over to Europe for a string of summer festivals and a full club-tour by September, NEVERMORE ask you to venture out, to experience the unfathomable, to join them on This Godless Endeavor. An album determined to become a future classic of the metal movement? "

Nevermore is:
Warrel Dane - vocals
Jeff Loomis - lead, rhythmn and acoustic guitars
Steve Smyth - lead, rhythmn and acoustic guitars
Jim Sheppard - bass
Van Williams - drums

25.06.2006 - 22:51
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I was wondering, is anyone a fan of the Pre-Nevermore band Sanctuary? I really enjoy them a lot, just wondering if anyone else was familiar with them.
----
The force will be with you, always.
25.06.2006 - 23:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Never heard them, I'll check them out.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.06.2006 - 11:36
rebelos
Account deleted
YEAH!
Sanctuary are really good!
have both cd's!! Into The Mirror Black is amazing...

too bad they turn into grunge...
26.06.2006 - 12:40
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Yeah, I really like Sanctuary. They were an awesome band too \m/
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
26.06.2006 - 15:37
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
I remember hearing them a while back, didnt think of them being anything special - well that is in comparison to Nevermore!
28.06.2006 - 04:17
Daru Jericho
Written by Lucas on 24.06.2006 at 16:37

Disturbed is going to be blown away but the surpreme gods of Nevermore!! YEY!!

If I do see them live (which I probably will) I'll leave before Disturbed start their set. I'm sure a fair number of other people will too.

Anyhow, regarding Sanctuary: I heard about both bands at the same time but I decided to check out Nevermore first because they are active and have more material. I still need to check them out though. Didn't Dave Mustaine produce one of their albums or something?
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

28.06.2006 - 09:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Meh, I would laugh at their faces.

But there is no other reason to watch their show.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.06.2006 - 18:44
rebelos
Account deleted
Written by Daru Jericho on 28.06.2006 at 04:17

Anyhow, regarding Sanctuary: I heard about both bands at the same time but I decided to check out Nevermore first because they are active and have more material. I still need to check them out though. Didn't Dave Mustaine produce one of their albums or something?

Sanctuary are pretty amazing too

Into The Mirror Black is one of my favorite albums!

if you like Nevermore you whould love Sanctuary too!!
28.06.2006 - 23:42
Daru Jericho
Written by [user id=14169] on 28.06.2006 at 18:44

If I understand correctly, Sanctuary are just a power metal band rather than power thrash?
----

29.06.2006 - 02:49
rebelos
Account deleted
Written by Daru Jericho on 28.06.2006 at 23:42

Written by [user id=14169] on 28.06.2006 at 18:44

If I understand correctly, Sanctuary are just a power metal band rather than power thrash?

they are similar to Nevermore...

power/thrash too!
30.06.2006 - 00:33
Daru Jericho
Ah ok. I will have to check them out when I get the time.
----

05.07.2006 - 22:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I revive this thread with a post dedicated to the everlasting BRILLIANCE of This Godless Endeavor. They deserve it.
----

07.07.2006 - 09:12
Tasid
Account deleted
Speaking of This Godless Endeavor, I purchsed the last copy that was for sale at my local FYE. Pretty amazing stuff, and I'm glad I got it. The song Final Product is so freaking addicting.
07.07.2006 - 16:04
Stigmatized
Yeah, Final Product is an addictive song. I like the video too.
08.07.2006 - 05:27
Daru Jericho
On the latest album my favourite track is without a doubt 'Sell My Heart For Stones'. It starts of a little calm and then the trademark slow yet heavy riffing that is Nevermore. And Warrel's vocals sound so grand with a hint of sorrow. I could go on about that song for a while.

And yes, 'Final Product' is great but I haven't watched the video. I'm gonna check it out now.
----

08.07.2006 - 05:30
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
jeez, every track on that album is amazing. I can't even begin to decide on my favorite track.
08.07.2006 - 14:13
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Bittersweet Feast pwns all the other songs!!!
29.07.2006 - 22:29
MetalSpider
I dont know if Ive posted here...but Nevermore is one of my favourite bands. This Godless Endeavour being one of my favourite albums in all of metal!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
29.07.2006 - 22:40
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by [user id=5399] on 08.07.2006 at 14:13

Bittersweet Feast pwns all the other songs!!!

Nah man. That song is one of the lesser to me, actually. That is, it is not brilliant, but genius.
----

29.07.2006 - 23:16
Fane
I like most This Godless Endeavor album. Every song on it is amazing good. But I dont mean that in other albums songs arent great
Well, well.. Best song would be The Psalm Of Lydia.
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
30.07.2006 - 02:45
Endoftherainbow
Nevermore is definently one of my favorite bands. Jeff Loomis writes such amazing songs and his solos are some of my favorites and Warrell Dane's voice is great and suites the music so perfectly. My favorite Nevermore album is either Dead Heart In A Dead World, Dream Neon Black, or This Godless Endeavor but all three albums are so good that I can't chose just one because I like every single song on all of those albums. My favorite song on each of those albums are The Heart Collector, Beyond Within, and I don't know it's to hard for me to pick a favorite on This Godless Endeavor now that I think about it. Live these guys aren't as good as on the album because you don't really get all the guitars that are on the album version but they are still one of my favorite live bands.
01.08.2006 - 14:39
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
The only Nevermore song ive heard live is This Sacrament on the Wacken 2004 DVD, and i can honestly say i like it more than the original. Theres just so much more energy to it - both vocally and musically. The Politics Of Ecstasy is such an overlooked album, buy it now
01.08.2006 - 17:10
Konrad
Mormon Storm
It really took me a long time to get into this band, primarily because of the vocals. Now I love everything about this band. I have only heard "This Godless Endeavor" but is one of the best CD's I've been listening to recently. Originally I liked the Psalm of Lydia because of the strong riffing and solo (which can be found on u-tube) but I love every song on this album. There are a variety of sounds going on... Sentient 6 even reminds me Metallica. The lyrics are very thought provocative in all of their songs and I look forward to hearing all of their cd's when I get around to it. Which one would you guys recommend next?
----
Brujerizmo!
01.08.2006 - 17:26
rebelos
Account deleted
Written by Konrad on 01.08.2006 at 17:10

Which one would you guys recommend next?

either Dead Heart In A Dead World or Dreaming Neon Black...
but you know what... it doesn't matter!!
everything made by these guys is simply magnificant!!
01.08.2006 - 21:10
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Konrad on 01.08.2006 at 17:10

Sentient 6 even reminds me Metallica.

If you think later Nevermore sounds even close to Metallica, you should check out their first few albums, especially their debut. It is very strong in the Metallica influenced department. It's still original though.
----
The force will be with you, always.
01.08.2006 - 21:19
Wo0dy
Account deleted
these guys are fucking own, Warrel has some nice vocals and Jeff Loomis is a very underated guitarist..
03.08.2006 - 18:46
PoloBulbe
Account deleted
Nevermore is one of my favourites bands. Their albums are just amazing... The last one is a masterpiece of metal (from my point of view of course ). I was in metalway festival in guernice this year (the second time i saw them) and It's was a charism demonstration by warrel and a technical performance by jeff, steve, van and jim. God save nevermore!!!
04.08.2006 - 11:09
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"It really took me a long time to get into this band, primarily because of the vocals. Now I love everything about this band. I have only heard "This Godless Endeavor" but is one of the best CD's I've been listening to recently. Originally I liked the Psalm of Lydia because of the strong riffing and solo (which can be found on u-tube) but I love every song on this album. There are a variety of sounds going on... Sentient 6 even reminds me Metallica. The lyrics are very thought provocative in all of their songs and I look forward to hearing all of their cd's when I get around to it. Which one would you guys recommend next? "

The great thing about Nevermore is that if you like one album, most of the time you will like all the others, especially if you like Metallica as well. So i can recommend any of their other full releases but in particular, Dead Heart In A Dead World because it is a masterpiece.

Jeff Loomis=Freak: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8081334998758715409&q=jeff+loomis
04.08.2006 - 13:26
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Lol, despite he looks a bit weird, his skills are awesome!!!
----

05.08.2006 - 03:08
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5399] on 01.08.2006 at 14:39

The only Nevermore song ive heard live is This Sacrament on the Wacken 2004 DVD, and i can honestly say i like it more than the original. Theres just so much more energy to it - both vocally and musically. The Politics Of Ecstasy is such an overlooked album, buy it now

Man on stage they have so much energy. I saw them live some time ago and they performed so fucking awesome. They totally rule on stage. And you are right "This Sacrament" sounds much more agressive live than on the record, the same goes for all "Politics Of Ecstasy" songs, don't know why.