Metal Storm logo
Best Swedish Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal band

Poll

Which one is the best Swedish "Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal" band?

Dark Tranquillity
Amon Amarth
In Flames (pre-Clayman)
Arch Enemy
At The Gates
Edge of Sanity
Other
Soilwork

Total votes: 429
13.07.2006 - 01:37
Valmont
One extremely important piece of the melodic death jigsaw puzzle is the Gothenburg style, named after the city from which it originated. It is not certain what band originally started the Gothenburg sound, but it is widely accepted that In Flames, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquillity are the three major popularizers of the style, and some of the only widely known bands to practice it, with newer bands such as Arch Enemy and The Haunted being offshoots of Carcass and At The Gates respectively. -Wikipedia
I thought i can just give a little info. Not that you need it tho. Anyways so, which one is it for you? I guess this will end up Amon Amarth being the leader. I don't know maybe because they stayed pure from the beginning but my choice is Dark Tranquillity. They are giving the little signs of turning out like In Flames tho but i follow them!
13.07.2006 - 01:52
Stigmatized
Dark Tranquillity. The most consistent I think. All of their albums are good in their own way. My favorite being either Character or The Gallery.
13.07.2006 - 02:04
Damnated
Churchburner
I'm between Amon Amarth and Edge of Sanity. It's a really hard decision, for both bands have albums that I just adore. But I think I lke more 'Crimson' then 'Versus The World' .
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
13.07.2006 - 02:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I vote for Edge of Sanity, ebcause thay aer amazing, great and well I realy love ''The Spectral Sorrows'' My first CD ever, and fisrt DM CD ever, so I love it also song ''Black Tears'' I love EoS

From List
Amon Amarth - Great band, but viking lyrics are great, and I listen them too
At The Gates - Great band, I love them, but I had hear only songs, non album
Arch Enemy - I can listen them, but not my band, I like ''Dead Eyes Sea No Future'' I dunno if its name of song, its taken from song
Dark Tranquillity - I love Projector album and song ''ThereIn'' best of DT ewer

In Flames and Soilvork I like only firts In Flames album, but dunno Soilvork''

Others - Ablaze My Sorrow, I had listen them some time ago and thay wa spritty nice
Ceremonial Oath - Lat time Swedis metal heads give me lsiten this album - ''The Book of Truth'' Great stuff
Godgory - Hope soemone knows them
OK I just now some time ago go true all Swedish metal band sand well its not eb fair if I post name sof bands, what I even hadnt hear, so I stop, but there are one more band ''In Thy Dreams'' Try them
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.07.2006 - 02:19
Endoftherainbow
My vote went for In Flames because they are one of the main bands that got me into metal and they released my favorite melodic death metal album Colony. My next choice would be At the Gates because Slaughter of the Soul was a kick ass album. Then Arch Enemy because all of their albums kick ass.
13.07.2006 - 02:21
Valmont
Written by Endoftherainbow on 13.07.2006 at 02:19

My vote went for In Flames because they are one of the main bands that got me into metal and they released my favorite melodic death metal album Colony. My next choice would be At the Gates because Slaughter of the Soul was a kick ass album. Then Arch Enemy because all of their albums kick ass.

I hesitated to put In Flames there but still they have history.
13.07.2006 - 02:35
Endoftherainbow
Yeah they most definently do, it's a shame they didn't continue making albums more similar to their earlier albums because albums like Colony, The Jester Race, Clayman, Lunar Strain, and Whoracle are some of the finest Melodic Death Metal albums recorded. But not many of the older bands of this genre aren't making albums that even live up to half of what they used to be like I would take Projector or The Gallery over an album like the Mind's I any day. One of the only bands that were getting better of time disband after they made their best album (I'm talking about At the Gates for those who don't know) which was a shame because I'd really like to Hear another album like Slaughter of the Soul.
13.07.2006 - 02:51
Daru Jericho
Well, I'm a massive EOS fan but they're prog death, not melo death/Gothenburg. So, from the remainder of your list...it's either Arch Enemy or Amon Amarth. I'll choose Arch Enemy. I like Angela's vocals, even the computer enhanced ones on the latest album. Also, Michael Amott!
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

13.07.2006 - 02:53
Valmont
Written by Endoftherainbow on 13.07.2006 at 02:35

Yeah they most definently do, it's a shame they didn't continue making albums more similar to their earlier albums because albums like Colony, The Jester Race, Clayman, Lunar Strain, and Whoracle are some of the finest Melodic Death Metal albums recorded. But not many of the older bands of this genre aren't making albums that even live up to half of what they used to be like I would take Projector or The Gallery over an album like the Mind's I any day. One of the only bands that were getting better of time disband after they made their best album (I'm talking about At the Gates for those who don't know) which was a shame because I'd really like to Hear another album like Slaughter of the Soul.

I'm in.. Every single word you said, totally agreed.
13.07.2006 - 02:54
Stigmatized
Written by Valmont on 13.07.2006 at 02:21

Written by Endoftherainbow on 13.07.2006 at 02:19

I don't think you could have done this poll without them. Their name is always associated with melodeath and Gothenburg metal. They may not be the first, but they really helped to define the genre.
13.07.2006 - 02:54
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 13.07.2006 at 02:16

I missed them from this lsit myself. Just listening to Shadow's Dance right now. Awsome band, I new them about 3-4 years, but only got this album. People! You have to check this band out! It's so deeply underground, but so talented.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
13.07.2006 - 03:00
Valmont
Written by Daru Jericho on 13.07.2006 at 02:51

Well, I'm a massive EOS fan but they're prog death, not melo death/Gothenburg. So, from the remainder of your list...it's either Arch Enemy or Amon Amarth. I'll choose Arch Enemy. I like Angela's vocals, even the computer enhanced ones on the latest album. Also, Michael Amott!

"7 Edge Of Sanity Melodic Death Sweden 1989 - 14" I tried to stay adherent to the site.
13.07.2006 - 03:02
Valmont
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think you could have done this poll without them. Their name is always associated with melodeath and Gothenburg metal. They may not be the first, but they really helped to define the genre.

I know but i just wanted to protest them yet here they are.
13.07.2006 - 03:08
Stigmatized
What the hell?
13.07.2006 - 12:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 13.07.2006 at 02:54

I missed them from this lsit myself. Just listening to Shadow's Dance right now. Awsome band, I new them about 3-4 years, but only got this album. People! You have to check this band out! It's so deeply underground, but so talented.

I dont know that band, I know Shadowdances from Lithainia, thay play gothic/doom metal and songs are avalible in them home page, cech in MA, or im MS, where are ''Hard Rock Laager 2006'' rewiew
----

apos;'
[image]
13.07.2006 - 13:15
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 13.07.2006 at 12:57

I dont know that band, I know Shadowdances from Lithainia, thay play gothic/doom metal and songs are avalible in them home page, cech in MA, or im MS, where are ''Hard Rock Laager 2006'' rewiew

Godgory has an album called Shadow's Dance
----

13.07.2006 - 13:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 13.07.2006 at 13:15

Only ban dwhat I found whit name Shadow's Dance are gothic metal band from Atenas only whit one album ''A Quatrain For The Damned'' sot titles and lyrics are gtreat, but if mambers be long hiar, then I listen it
----

apos;'
[image]
13.07.2006 - 14:24
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 13.07.2006 at 13:18

Only ban dwhat I found whit name Shadow's Dance are gothic metal band from Atenas only whit one album ''A Quatrain For The Damned'' sot titles and lyrics are gtreat, but if mambers be long hiar, then I listen it

What are you talking about? I was listening Godgory's album, Shadow's Dance, that's what I was saying.
----

13.07.2006 - 14:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 13.07.2006 at 14:24

Written by Bad English on 13.07.2006 at 13:18

What are you talking about? I was listening Godgory's album, Shadow's Dance, that's what I was saying.

Shit I mix something, I think shadow's Dance was name of band who play Gethenburg metal Im stupid
----

apos;'
[image]
14.07.2006 - 21:08
bangladesh
I think Dark Tranquillity is the best one because every album is good, and they don´t became comercial like Arch Enemy that it was my prefered in pre "Wages of Sin" times.
I think that albuns like "The Gallery", "Damage Done" and "Skydancer" of Dark Tranquillity are only for special bands.
15.07.2006 - 09:33
dark awakening
Dark Tranquillity of course! This band has never disappointed its fans. My fav album is Haven.
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
15.07.2006 - 10:23
Southern Wind
Account deleted
At The Gates, because of their highly schizophrenic "With Fear I Kiss The Burnig Darkess"... that album is krieg!
15.07.2006 - 13:22
RavenLord
Dark Tranquillity, as they have had such a varied career, with most of their discs being very varied from each other. The Gallery is one of my favourite albums of all time-it's so complex, it's almost proggy!

Notable mention: Amon Amarth. Simpler Melodeth, but still kickass Viking lyrics and crushing, distorted guitars add up to a great band.
----
15.07.2006 - 14:07
X-FrEaK
i voted for Arch Enemy...i know Dark Tranquillity, In Flames and a bit of Soilwork...and...i prefer lol...cant say why but there are few albuns like Anthems of Rebellion
----
15.07.2006 - 19:57
Mega-Slayer
Hey,am I the only one that noticed Dissection wasn't on here?Well my vote goes to them,their first two albums along with "Where Dead Angels Lie" Ep are extraordinary.I havent got into their new album yet,but eventually I will.What I love about Dissection is the combining of Death and Black.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
16.07.2006 - 09:19
Sunioj
I voted Arch Enemy because I dont like the other bands as much, Arch got me into extreme metal, but In flames just helped me trip out in the last few years...they have some material that I still respect alot.
16.07.2006 - 09:33
Ibanez07
Account deleted
Easy for me - Dark Tranquillity. They have been around so long [long enough to seemingly define the Gothenburg genre ], and have still retained their origininality, while strictly staying within the perameters of the genre itself. My personal favirote songs must be...

Single Part of Two
Rundown
White Noise/Black Silence
Punish My Heaven
Exposure

and many, many, MANY more...
16.07.2006 - 14:31
lordz
IzZo
That was hard

I was thinking of making this thread a couple of days ago...

back to the poll
DT for me!
The Gallary was their best IMO

second ...At the gates were a great band they had good albums .... too bad they split up
old In flames would be third
16.07.2006 - 19:03
bobcusp
Account deleted
None of them makes me scream and jump alone at home but Arch Enemy ... I really enjoy their music and lyrics... it's so exiting the riff's and the drumms... one of my favorite bands ever heard...
17.07.2006 - 00:50
MetalSpider
Dark Tranquility is what I voted for. I would have voted for Edge of Sanity but...I really havent heard enough of their albums...although Crimson and Crimson 2 are amazing.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!