Metal Storm logo
Varg Vikernes - A Free Man

Varg Vikernes has in an interview with the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet confirmed that he has been released from prison.

He was released a couple a weeks ago after 16 years in prison, and is now living at a small farm in Telemark with his French wife and 18 months old son as planned when he was granted parole (see here).

Source: dagbladet.no
Band profile: Burzum
Posted: 23.05.2009 by GT

Comments page 2 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 91   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 449 users
23.05.2009 - 18:37
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Smurfophagist on 23.05.2009 at 18:22

Black metal scene does not need reviving. It is very much alive. There are a lot of promising Ukrainian BM bands.
And yes, if his release means that there's a slight possibility he might continue with Burzum, I'm happy with that.

The black metal scene is still alive, but it's not at all what it used to be. The rebellious underground spirit is gone, and will not come back. A lot of people seem to think that the release of Varg is gonna be the second coming of true norwegian black metal or something to that extent, which is simply not gonna happen. If anything, I think he's gonna leave the scene completely. He might do some Burzum, sure. But I'm sceptical as to how good that's gonna be.

Sure, if he releases some good Burzum stuff now, then I'd be happy too, but I won't take it for granted until I hear it, like so many others seem to do. IMO he might as well quit and leave the scene and in doing so leave his musical legacy intact rather than risk damaging it by releasing something bad.

IMO there is a time for everything, and Varg's time was in the early 90s. I'm sceptical as to whether he's still got it.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
23.05.2009 - 19:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I cannot believe someone is arguing his marital status and blaming it on media lies.

i sure hope they do cast the twilight kid to play Vargy Vargerson in the LOC movie just to piss in people like that's wheaties.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.05.2009 - 19:29
TheOwl
He looks happy because (from what it seems) the Norwegian prisons are like "colleges".... in most other places, while in prison several parts of your body would ache....
23.05.2009 - 19:30
Volunteer
Account deleted
Finalllly
23.05.2009 - 19:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 23.05.2009 at 14:44

Written by Smurfophagist on 23.05.2009 at 13:40

I'm gonna phone all my friends to tell them the good news

What good news? Why do people even care? He's not someone to idolize, and I'm thinking he's not gonna do much of any interest in the future anyway.

The only good thing he could possibly do in this day and age is more Burzum, and I'm quite sceptical as to what the end result of that would be.

He's not gonna revive the black metal scene or something. Get the fuck over it.

I never idolized nobody no metter what he is fro em there no idol, all we're people , idols is like fassion for fools who has no own life n beliefs , ok I like early burzum muic, i loike Bm but its not like i gon:mad7:na screem for something , there a vark nahh idols is for loosers, Im idol for my self

Just wanna see how he's gonna libe free, remeber Dissection maybe next news be here Vrag commit suicide and its be werry good news

Damn he shood kill soemoen in Texas or other us states where's dead penalty

Filip seems you dont know much about BM
even in Cro has good bm bands what idolized , there many better bands in each country how Burzum was
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.05.2009 - 20:32
Got Mayhem?
I only hope that people are smart enough to leave him alone now...
----
23.05.2009 - 20:37
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Black metal is still alive! It is living on just like the first and second waves that occurred when I wasn't even born and 5 years old! I remember how black metal was then and can compare it to the scene now, so I have the authority to say it is still alive!
23.05.2009 - 20:42
selken
Irreligious
He's not likely to return to the scene, but what the hell will he do to earn his food??? xD XD
----
23.05.2009 - 20:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by selken on 23.05.2009 at 20:42

He's not likely to return to the scene, but what the hell will he do to earn his food??? xD XD

Unemployment benefit? So being the parasite he always was?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2009 - 20:49
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.05.2009 at 20:44

Shit man, there's no limit to his suckness.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.05.2009 - 20:53
Symmachus
This is very interesting news indeed. It will be interesting to find out what he does in his post-prison life. I doubt as to if he will release another Burzum album (I'm not really going to expect one, but if that somehow happens, I will probably follow it). He's probably just going to live a private life and stay out of the spotlight.

By the way, not that there's anything wrong with this, but he looks 20 years older than his actual age if you ask me.
23.05.2009 - 20:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Got Mayhem? on 23.05.2009 at 20:32

I only hope that people are smart enough to leave him alone now...

If people would leave him alone here wont be so many comments about him :p

selken - man he has farm he will make milk, chease, and eat farm animals, big deel growing potatos
but Nor gourement pay him money well if I woild be born in real n old side of Europe I would live whit out work from social garanties
----

apos;'
[image]
23.05.2009 - 21:15
Got Mayhem?
Written by Introspekrieg on 23.05.2009 at 20:37

Black metal is still alive! It is living on just like the first and second waves that occurred when I wasn't even born and 5 years old! I remember how black metal was then and can compare it to the scene now, so I have the authority to say it is still alive!

Haha
honestly, i don't see how a man who was imprisoned for 16 years and has shown no interest in making music again is supposed to reignite an entire genre of music.
----
23.05.2009 - 22:16
selken
Irreligious

Oh that sucks, even ants work hard to keep their lives xD, this dude should be bringing my pizza to my home, so I can ask him for an autograph
----
23.05.2009 - 22:38
tulkas
el parcero
Say hello to norway's new farmer
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
24.05.2009 - 02:57
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.05.2009 at 18:35

Why do people think he would make metal again? Varg has said he will never make metal because the guitar is a "nigger" instrument. And actually his last couple of albums were majorly crap anyway and even his so-called good albums are average at best and totally overrated.

I agree completely. Burzum is probably the most overrated BM band in the world. Varg was a mediocre guitarist, his drumming was a joke, and his vocals are god awful (he just yells as if he was raped or put under torture). I like raw BM like old Darkthrone, old Satyricon, Immortal, Hellsaw, Spirit Of The Forest, Taake, Ulver's "Nattens Madrigal", etc. But I hate Burzum's music, it's so technically mediocre.

And he didn't only dismiss guitar as a 'nigger' instrument, he also dismissed BM as 'nigger' music, so I don't believe he'll make another BM album.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
24.05.2009 - 10:17
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
As I said before, when he said Venom and Dimmu are posers, IMO he is just jealous about the fame and freedom they had all this years, meanwhile he was in prison, living only of his church burner and killer legend, something a la britney spears living only of her scandals. Surely he was thinking of Hellhammer when he said the poser thing about DB hehehe, Whatever, let that guy out of the scene eating eggs and milking cows. Nuff said.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
24.05.2009 - 12:00
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Cool. now make some good music.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
24.05.2009 - 12:15
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Good. Now do us a favor - stop killing people and making shitty music.
----
24.05.2009 - 12:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by selken on 23.05.2009 at 22:16

Oh that sucks, even ants work hard to keep their lives xD, this dude should be bringing my pizza to my home, so I can ask him for an autograph

Thets why I love EU and old Europe firts EU countries, its kingdome for prasites

Man bets wher eyou cen be parasite and get more money whit out work is Germany
Thank's to Socialdemocraitcal party
----

apos;'
[image]
24.05.2009 - 13:32
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Mugthulhu on 23.05.2009 at 17:14

Written by GT on 23.05.2009 at 15:50

Written by Mugthulhu on 23.05.2009 at 15:05

I don't think he's married. Now why would he be married? Damn media.

Well that's not for you to decide. When the man himself says he's married my guess would be that he is

I don't think he ever said he's married. I think that is something the media has made up. Varg says on his website that he is unmarried.

In this article he says he miss his wife and son...
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
24.05.2009 - 14:21
Lord_Regnier
Written by GT on 24.05.2009 at 13:32

Yes, but it says it has been roughly translated from Norwegian.
And perhaps he simply used the word "wife", while he meant "my girlfriend".
Anyway, I really don't see why people on a forum would care for such a trivial detail. What difference does it make for us, if he's married or not?
----
24.05.2009 - 14:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.05.2009 at 02:57

and his vocals are god awful (he just yells as if he was raped or put under torture).

A friend of mine, and met too, alwyas compare his vocals to the sound a strangeled parakeet would make.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.05.2009 - 14:38
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.05.2009 at 14:21

Yes, but it says it has been roughly translated from Norwegian.
And perhaps he simply used the word "wife", while he meant "my girlfriend".
Anyway, I really don't see why people on a forum would care for such a trivial detail. What difference does it make for us, if he's married or not?

Well I did the translation and trust me he said wife, but yes I can't see why it's a problem
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
24.05.2009 - 14:52
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.05.2009 at 14:35

A friend of mine, and met too, alwyas compare his vocals to the sound a strangeled parakeet would make.

I enjoy many kinds of harsh vocals, but I can't stand Varg's. The only worse vocals I heard in BM, were from Elffor (some parts are like hearing a newborn child crying). I think Burzum's music is quite mediocre technically but maybe I could listen to it, if it wasn't for vocals. With such vocals? No chance.

It's not the first time I hear this comparison with birds like parrots. And, though it's often not so easy to decipher BM vocals, I usually can hear most of the words but not in Burzum. You need to have the lyrics in front of you because Varg's vocals are unintelligible.
----
24.05.2009 - 14:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.05.2009 at 14:52

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.05.2009 at 14:35

I enjoy many kinds of harsh vocals, but I can't stand Varg's. The only worse vocals I heard in BM, were from Elffor (some parts are like hearing a newborn child crying). I think Burzum's music is quite mediocre technically but maybe I could listen to it, if it wasn't for vocals. With such vocals? No chance.

It's not the first time I hear this comparison with birds like parrots. And, though it's often not so easy to decipher BM vocals, I usually can hear most of the words but not in Burzum. You need to have the lyrics in front of you because Varg's vocals are unintelligible.

I know where you are coming from since I feel the exact same way.
And I love that a lot of people dismiss a lot of bands as Burzum rip-offs etc. whereas in 85% of the cases those bands are far superior to Burzum musically, vocally, lyrically., and Varg could only dream of being as good as those so-called rip--offs.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.05.2009 - 15:12
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.05.2009 at 14:56

I know where you are coming from since I feel the exact same way.
And I love that a lot of people dismiss a lot of bands as Burzum rip-offs etc. whereas in 85% of the cases those bands are far superior to Burzum musically, vocally, lyrically., and Varg could only dream of being as good as those so-called rip--offs.

Personally, I find those rants about "x band being a rip-off of y band" sometimes justified but most of the time ridiculous.

Lots of bands kinda sound like older bands, of course, which is something I find normal. Bands cannot reinvent everything all the time. They need to start somewhere, from something. I would add that metal reached a point at which so many things have already been done it's very hard for artists to innovate.
And it often happens that bands take the basis created by older bands, develop it, and make it evolve towards something better.

I'm a fan of old Bathory and, indeed, I recognize some influences in many more modern BM bands. Will I complain and dismiss those bands as Bathory rip-offs? No. They take the basis Quorthon has created with Bathory and try to make it evolve. And many modern BM bands succeed and are better than Bathory.

In Burzum's case, almost every 'rip-off' is better than the original technically because Varg was a mediocre musician and an awful vocalist.

EDIT: And don't forget some people say they like Burzum only to appear cool and learned, because it's supposedly a reference in BM, while some of them don't even listen to it regularly. There are some people who will never dare to criticize famous, well-known bands, by fear of being flamed or whatever. Some people don't have the courage to assume their own choices and voice them out loud. Personally, the fact a band is famous doesn't ensure in any way that I will respect it and avoid criticizing it. If I think a band is awesome, I'll say it's awesome, even if it's almost entirely unknown. And if a very famous band sucks from my point of view, I'll say it sucks. I don't fear to be judged for my opinions and tastes. I call it integrity, honesty, being true to yourself and assume your personal choices.
I've been insulted many times because of this 'freedom of speach' attitude but I don't seek acceptance inside the metal community. I prefer to be hated sometimes than to 'drop on my knees' to be liked and be part of the gang.
I also believe people in general have a nasty habit of praising mediocre and very average things, when there are much better things just around the corner but they don't seem to see them.
----
24.05.2009 - 15:20
Mugthulhu

Well that's not for you to decide. When the man himself says he's married my guess would be that he is

I don't think he ever said he's married. I think that is something the media has made up. Varg says on his website that he is unmarried.

If that is what the article says, then it is most likely made up of media lies.
24.05.2009 - 15:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mugthulhu on 24.05.2009 at 15:20

If that is what the article says, then it is most likely made up of media lies.

Why can't Varg be married to a woman? Do you know something about him we don't? Is he gay, just like Gaahl?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.05.2009 - 15:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
As long as he's not an antisocial asshole anymore i say let him be

Hits total: 15105 | This month: 36