Metal Storm logo
The Awesome Beer Thread

Original post

Posted by Deadmeat, 28.05.2009 - 16:38
After making a poll with having only 8 possible choices I decided that it would be better to have a Beer topic. So, tell us what's your favorite beer, why it is and give us all the necessary information about it so that we can try it when we have the chance.

So, keep on the discussion about this great drink called Beer!

As for me, I've already wrote it: Erdinger (i don't know much about it's short etc) is the best. It is a beer that kneeds in your bottle and it tastes great!
17.09.2012 - 03:05
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Drinking a SweetWater Brewing Company IPA right now. It has a nice sweet caramel taste with a citrus hint as well. Yesterday, I had a Polestar Pilsner (Left Hand Brewing Company). It was very smooth and tasty for a pilsner. I also tried Terrapin Beer Company's Hopsecutioner IPA yesterday. I probably liked this one the least of the three as the bitter aftertaste really overpowered the drink flavors.
29.09.2012 - 15:27
Sangre Sani
I like Polish beer Żywiec.
02.10.2012 - 04:32
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Mmm flying dog double pale ale
02.10.2012 - 07:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=113163] on 02.10.2012 at 04:32

why doesn't it surprise me that a Hunter S. Thompson fan has Flying Dog as his favourite brewery?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.10.2012 - 19:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Apparently swedes dig Modus Hoperandi... where have you heard that name before?

oh yeah. #3 on my regular rotation in my Beermerica... Fuck Yeah! article.

between that and hearing from another Swede that a keg of Dale's Pale Ale (also on my list) was emptied within an hour of being tapped at the bar where he works, seems the Swedes are down with our good stuff.

not to be outdone, one of my friends in Bend passed along a third from my "top 5" recently won a slew of "best ofs" at the World Beer Awards out of Norfolk, UK...

Red Chair Pwnage
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.10.2012 - 19:55
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Mexican beer Tempus is one of the best beers I've ever had...belgian beer Carolus is one of my favorites too
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
03.10.2012 - 00:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by nana.MD on 02.10.2012 at 19:55

belgian beer Carolus is one of my favorites too

Which one of the three sorts of Carolus?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.10.2012 - 02:56
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
My personal fave is Belhaven's St. Andrews Ale, second fave would be New Belgium Brewing's 1554 Enlightened Black Ale.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

04.10.2012 - 01:34
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.10.2012 at 07:13

Written by [user id=113163] on 02.10.2012 at 04:32

why doesn't it surprise me that a Hunter S. Thompson fan has Flying Dog as his favourite brewery?

haha. Kind of goes hand in hand. Either way I actually really do like their beer. Have done a tour of the brewery.
08.10.2012 - 21:49
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.10.2012 at 00:48

Written by nana.MD on 02.10.2012 at 19:55

belgian beer Carolus is one of my favorites too

Which one of the three sorts of Carolus?

Three of them, buy my favorite is Gouden
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
08.10.2012 - 21:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by nana.MD on 08.10.2012 at 21:49

Three of them, buy my favorite is Gouden

aha the good old classic one ;-) Btw of the three that is also my fav
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.10.2012 - 21:42
animal
Hang onto yourselves.

Quote:

http://www.digitalspy.com/odd/news/a433298/worlds-strongest-beer-armageddon-has-65-percent-alcohol.html

World's strongest beer 'Armageddon' has 65% alcohol

Published Thursday, Oct 25 2012, 6:17am EDT | By Ben Lee

A Scottish brewery has claimed that it has concocted the world's strongest beer, with an alcohol-by-volume of 65%.

Named 'Armageddon', a 330ml bottle of the beer from Brewmeister is on sale for £40.

The description on the brewery's website recommends that people "consume this like a fine whisky".

"Despite being 65%, the beer has a lot of flavor - malty, hoppy, slightly sweet and lots of yeast still in the beer," it continues. "Be careful though, smelling it is probably enough to put you over the limit!"

Crystal malt, wheat, flaked oats and spring water make up the ingredients of Armageddon.

The beer is also 'freeze fermented' to raise the ABV.

Gives a whole new meaning to "I only had 1 beer, ossifer,...."
----
"I got 1,000 years of power! Come and get me!" Robert McLain- Royal Oak, MI
28.10.2012 - 21:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Was about to quote/repost that here. deleted the other thread.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.10.2012 - 22:28
Sangre Sani
I changed my mind about best beer. From now on it's Perła!
01.11.2012 - 11:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I ahve been drinking leithly some east Euroipian beer, I have tryd Cro, Cz, Svk, Bulg, Rus beers and I have weird feeling those are same, same like carlsberg and heinekken, but lil better taste
no character, same bottles, couloor simmilar taste ... dont get me wrong I have tryd good Svk and Cz beers but those was live on in special places and events in Riga , but those what they sold in stores, no way I dont like, ordinary taste, can drink much , maybe good for party and summer, but its not possible compear whit Franzikanen weissbeer or Paulanen , even many latvian beers like Tervetes, Piebalgas, Uzavas iz million ways better, Belgie beers, even some Swedish beers taste and has some specifical taste,

Yesterday : Karlovacko and Spook Ale what is sortha halloween ale ...
Cro beer had weird taste, no characyer, Ale had specifical taste, for me somehow ale is to bitter, thats why i dont drink much ale, I mean bottle or 2 not more in one time, beer I can take more and more, I like ale, for me ale had taste specifical what you need taste

Today beer: Zlatopomen and Swneiders Weiise

I try order in sythem some Franzikanen Dunkel soon
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.11.2012 - 07:50
Apatheria
My favorite is The Abyss, brewed right here in the great state of Oregon by the Deschutes Brewery.

Commercial description: "This special Reserve Series brew will only be offered December - February (limited distribution)
The Abyss: Stout brewed with licorice and molasses with 33% aged in oak and oak bourbon barrels. It's dark. It's deep. It's mysterious. Aged in French Oak and Bourbon barrels, this special brew has immeasureable depth inviting you to explore and discover its rich, complex profile. The flavor of molasses and licorice draw you in further and further with each sip. The Abyss beckons. Enjoy the journey."

I'm definitely a stout guy, especially imperials, and this one is world class. You can really taste that hint of bourbon in this beer's remarkably thick, detailed texture. There's also a strong presence of chocolate, oak, and some licorice in the rich flavor this baby provides. Maybe a little coffee, too? It's hard to pick out which flavor stands out the most due to this beer's complexity, but the blend is so flawless that it combines into a perfect flavor.

Damn it, now I want to drink one.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
02.11.2012 - 12:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Looks good - is it porter beer?

@Marcel what do you think about unfiltrated beer?

Yesterday I was drinking Zlatoppmen - half dark beer from Cz
It had a taste I must admite while it was fresh open and lil cooler it had a taste, good one even its light beer, can drink those a lot

Schneiders Weisse - edlent taste , live even in bottle it was like live, awesome taste, I decide I will stick whit Ger lager, dunkel + time to time I nwill buy ale
till I wont get my hands in some good Cz , Svk, Belgium, beers I will try drink only German so far never they bring me down
----

apos;'
[image]
02.11.2012 - 16:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 02.11.2012 at 12:51

Looks good - is it porter beer?

what doe s it say in the description? It says stout, so, no, it is NOT a porter
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.11.2012 - 16:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 02.11.2012 at 12:51

@Marcel what do you think about unfiltrated beer?

99% of the beers I drink is unfiltered.

The only filtered beer I drink is pilsner/lager
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.11.2012 - 00:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Apatheria on 02.11.2012 at 07:50

looking forward to it making us down south in AZ. tried Chasin' Freshies and wasn't that impressed. Hop Trip is another i am keeping my eye out for.

Red Chair and Hop Henge remain my favorites from Deschutes, although Green Lakes straight from the tap at the brewery was really enjoyable, especially considering i'm usually not a huge amber fan. And Mirror Pond is a really good flagship.
----

05.11.2012 - 09:23
Apatheria
Written by BitterCOld on 05.11.2012 at 00:20

looking forward to it making us down south in AZ. tried Chasin' Freshies and wasn't that impressed. Hop Trip is another i am keeping my eye out for.

Red Chair and Hop Henge remain my favorites from Deschutes, although Green Lakes straight from the tap at the brewery was really enjoyable, especially considering i'm usually not a huge amber fan. And Mirror Pond is a really good flagship.

Hm, haven't tried the Chasin' Freshies yet.

I tend to like just about everything they brew. Black Butte Porter is an old favorite, the Obsidian Stout is also quite nice. And indeed, Red Chair is lovely, as is Green Lakes. But it's really their reserves that are exceptional; The Black Butte Anniversary Imperial Porters are also quite nice. They release a new one for each passing year; I had the XXIV recently; very good stuff.

I hope you get to try The Abyss soon, man. It's freakin' great.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
05.11.2012 - 22:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Drinking Paulaner Munhen dunkel now - hard to jydge this beer, good dark beer whit taste, typical ''easy'' beer whit taste, whole life I have been fan of dark, dunkel, tumsais, mårk or whatever it calls in other lanuadges , if I would live in Ger this would be maybe my party beer what I can drink much , same now shame its not in local sythem, but we can order it , take some 2 days to get ... good

Franzikeine Dunkel --- it has own character, but weiis beer taste better, more ''unfiltrate'' taste, mure ''muddy''look, more live taste, this was not bad, maybe I need chill it more, but I wanted open faster , not bad at all in the end

EDDIT: Drinking Bishops Fingers Kentish Strong Ale
5% well ale good maybe not so bitter taste even today was fuck up day and I cant analise ale, I can only drink it
----

apos;'
[image]
08.11.2012 - 19:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Apatheria on 05.11.2012 at 09:23

I tend to like just about everything they brew. Black Butte Porter is an old favorite, the Obsidian Stout is also quite nice. And indeed, Red Chair is lovely, as is Green Lakes. But it's really their reserves that are exceptional; The Black Butte Anniversary Imperial Porters are also quite nice. They release a new one for each passing year; I had the XXIV recently; very good stuff.

found a six of Hop Trip a couple days ago. while i wasn't big on Chasin' Freshies IPA, the Pale Ale version was quite enjoyable.

still lookin' out for Abyss. Deschutes seems to do a better job at making their specials available around here than New Belgium.

still need Bevmo to renew with Ninkasi, another OR brewr. Miss my Total Domination and Tri-Cera-Hops. And still have never had Sleigh'R - the one all my friends in the PDX keep on telling me i need to try.
----

10.11.2012 - 09:28
Apatheria
Written by BitterCOld on 08.11.2012 at 19:15

Written by Apatheria on 05.11.2012 at 09:23

found a six of Hop Trip a couple days ago. while i wasn't big on Chasin' Freshies IPA, the Pale Ale version was quite enjoyable.

still lookin' out for Abyss. Deschutes seems to do a better job at making their specials available around here than New Belgium.

still need Bevmo to renew with Ninkasi, another OR brewr. Miss my Total Domination and Tri-Cera-Hops. And still have never had Sleigh'R - the one all my friends in the PDX keep on telling me i need to try.

Sleigh'R is indeed one of my favorite Ninkasi brews; that and Believer. I'm overall not a huge fan of Ninkasi because they tend to cram a ton of hops into every brew they make, and I only like hoppyness in certain styles. But yes, Sleigh'R achieves a nice balance.

By the way, tried a pint of Chasin' Freshies, and I agree, it was pretty weak. Had no body to it.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
12.12.2012 - 21:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hoegaarden - Wit Blanch
Im drinking it quate OK light beer, beers coulor is way to light somehow remainds me latvian beer Altara zelta (Gold) but I dont remeber when I drunk so white coulor beer
Good taste

I have a quasten I tryd Belgie ales some time ago, and if we compare whit british ales isnt Belgian ales not so bitter or its my only feeling?
UK ales has lil bitter taste or Im wrong
----

apos;'
[image]
18.12.2012 - 22:25
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
If you live in the Western United States, Deschutes Brewery makes some really awesome stuff. My favorites are their Black Butte Porter, and their English-style pale ale called Mirror Pond Pale Ale.

Alongside Deschutes, Stone Brewery is my other favorite. Arrogant Bastard Ale is absolutely great, and has one of the most amusing labels I've ever seen on any drink container, ever.

Arrogant Bastard Ale
----
18.12.2012 - 22:28
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw

My favorite is The Abyss, brewed right here in the great state of Oregon by the Deschutes Brewery.

Commercial description: "This special Reserve Series brew will only be offered December - February (limited distribution)
The Abyss: Stout brewed with licorice and molasses with 33% aged in oak and oak bourbon barrels. It's dark. It's deep. It's mysterious. Aged in French Oak and Bourbon barrels, this special brew has immeasureable depth inviting you to explore and discover its rich, complex profile. The flavor of molasses and licorice draw you in further and further with each sip. The Abyss beckons. Enjoy the journey."

I'm definitely a stout guy, especially imperials, and this one is world class. You can really taste that hint of bourbon in this beer's remarkably thick, detailed texture. There's also a strong presence of chocolate, oak, and some licorice in the rich flavor this baby provides. Maybe a little coffee, too? It's hard to pick out which flavor stands out the most due to this beer's complexity, but the blend is so flawless that it combines into a perfect flavor.

I wasn't fast enough to buy one when they came out. It was extremely disheartening... I had to wait until pay day to afford extra luxuries, The Abyss being one of them. When that day came, turns out all the stores near my location were already sold out.

I'm so disappointed that I didn't get to taste it... Deschutes is incredible.
----
20.12.2012 - 05:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Jaeryd on 18.12.2012 at 22:28

I wasn't fast enough to buy one when they came out. It was extremely disheartening... I had to wait until pay day to afford extra luxuries, The Abyss being one of them. When that day came, turns out all the stores near my location were already sold out.

I'm so disappointed that I didn't get to taste it... Deschutes is incredible.

i managed to get one. while i prefer their Pale Ales and IPA's (especially Hop Trip, Red Chair, and Hophenge), i saw one and figured what the hell. it was awesome.

i also picked up a Black Butte XXIV last night. best AFTER July 2013. it won't make it part December 19, 2012, though... hard day merits a hard beer.

while i don't like all their beers, they have a great variety of regulars and seasonals I love. and best of all, unlike New Belgium (Clutch?!) they are attainable by dumb luck shopping.
----

20.12.2012 - 06:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Oh, found this site tonight courtesy of Deschutes Brewing answering a distro question on Facebook:

BottleTrek.com

shit is expensive, i guess, once you factor in shipping, but they have beers available I cannot get regularly down here. thanks to them i can rawk in the new year with

su nioj.

no Abyss at the moment, but they have some nice stuff (Elysian out of Seattle as well).
----

31.12.2012 - 19:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Marcel - Have you tryd it?

----

apos;'
[image]