Metal Storm logo
Pestilence

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 16.07.2006 - 02:28
Wow its great I get to start an official Pestilence thread.I cant say i'm a diehard fan or anything,cuz I haven't been listening to them that long.Well anyway I finally got the pleasure of buying "Consuming Impulse" and that is definitley brutal death metal at its best."Echoes of Death" is the highlight track for me it has every good element to making a great song.I also have "Testimony of the Ancients" as well,since I bought two from the vault,it is alright to me,its more of a progressive death cd i'd say.Its not that I dont like progressive death,its just not at the same level of intesity as "Consuming Impulse".I want to get the first album,if I can find it for a decent price,as well as "Spheres".So what are your thoughts on this band?
10.03.2009 - 21:30
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.03.2009 at 21:28

Written by Deadmeat on 10.03.2009 at 21:20

Written by SlaytallicA on 10.03.2009 at 20:45

Written by VPeter on 10.03.2009 at 20:19

I can already bet that the new album is going to disappoint many.

I have to say that I have the same feeling...

why people? i expect a great brutal n fast album!!!!

Brutal and fast?
With current Mameli and Choy? Hell, they are 16 years older than on Spheres (althoguh Choy didn't play on that one) and 18 years after Testimony of the Ancients. And besides, Petsilence were never brutal or truly fast.

I say Brutal because of what i ve heard on their myspace.
Fast surely they are not like Nile, Morbid Angel etc but i don't think that what they play you call it slow or normal speed...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
10.03.2009 - 21:41
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
The vocals on the new album will be awesome!!! it reminds me the sickness of John Tardy's vocals!!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
12.03.2009 - 00:04
WITCHCLAN
I love Pestilence. I first heard them when Testimony Of The Anceients was released and I played that album non-stop for months. I loved the sound on the recording, it was so crisp and you could hear everything perfectly and everything was at the exact right level.
Musically I hadn't heard anything before that which sounded quite as technical as that apart from perhaps Human by Death. It was tight, perfectly played and timed with memorable riffs and awesome vocals to top it off.
The two albums before that, namely Malleusmalificarum and Consuming Impulse I bought after that but with not so impressive production sounds and featuring their previous vocalist made me not so keen on them.
Spheres was good but nothing comes close to Tesstimony for me personally. Classic milestone of Death Metal.
----
Pre-order the new Witchclan demo now at www.witchclan.co.uk - release date 1st September 2010.
12.03.2009 - 18:06
VPeter

A generic forgettable typical reunion album which is not worthy of the legendary name.
12.03.2009 - 19:02
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by VPeter on 12.03.2009 at 18:06

A generic forgettable typical reunion album which is not worthy of the legendary name.

i don't believe that the new album will be better than the old but why don't you wait for that to prove in practice???
----
13.03.2009 - 14:21
routa
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 12.03.2009 at 19:02

i don't believe that the new album will be better than the old but why don't you wait for that to prove in practice???

Nothing to do with comparing to the old stuff (for me at least), it's just stale.
The sample songs fail to provoke any interest, I doubt I'll check out the full album. Just because it got "Pestilence" on the cover doesn't make it any more worthwhile
13.03.2009 - 16:31
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 13.03.2009 at 14:21

Written by Deadmeat on 12.03.2009 at 19:02

Nothing to do with comparing to the old stuff (for me at least), it's just stale.
The sample songs fail to provoke any interest, I doubt I'll check out the full album. Just because it got "Pestilence" on the cover doesn't make it any more worthwhile

i like the new songs specialy the 3rd one, devouring frenzy, they are different like every release of thet band. imo this will be a good death metal album. maybe not a perfect but still good and enjoyable.
----
21.03.2009 - 08:00
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
When someone expects a disapointment then surely he'll get it because he won't be prepared for better things. If YOU are miser with your music saying that only "the old is good" then stop listening to metal.

(I am not targeting anyone specialy but generaly the feeling of some people for albums that will dissapoint). Come on people, I'd understand you if for example in 2006 released a shit to not expect something good but it's their first album in 16 years, give it a try without beeing prejudiced.)

The music of Pestilence is and WAS writen by Mameli. The "only" difference with the old years is the Vocals (which IMO are even better than Van Drunen's). The vocals on this album are amazing. And hello, THIS IS A GREAT DEATH METAL ALBUM.

SICK ENOUGH TO BE PESTILENCE!!!

give this album many listenings; as the modern music is more complex than the music of 80's and 90's listen to the albums for 1-2 days and for 1-2 times. then you'll have a better opinion.
----
21.03.2009 - 09:05
thesabbathfan
So yea.

i think the new album is garbage.
----
21.03.2009 - 09:08
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by thesabbathfan on 21.03.2009 at 09:05

So yea.

garbage does not mean anything. explain...
----
21.03.2009 - 09:13
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
After the first listen, I'd say it's crap too, but... it's been only one listen and I've never really liked Pestilence.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
21.03.2009 - 11:07
Elio
Red Nightmare
So, you see the new album is not worthy of a listen?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
21.03.2009 - 20:15
thesabbathfan
Written by Deadmeat on 21.03.2009 at 09:08

So yea.

production sucks, riffs are all the same, vocals are monotone.

i hate it.
----
21.03.2009 - 21:24
VPeter
Written by Deadmeat on 21.03.2009 at 08:00

When someone expects a disapointment then surely he'll get it because he won't be prepared for better things. If YOU are miser with your music saying that only "the old is good" then stop listening to metal.

(I am not targeting anyone specialy but generaly the feeling of some people for albums that will dissapoint). Come on people, I'd understand you if for example in 2006 released a shit to not expect something good but it's their first album in 16 years, give it a try without beeing prejudiced.)

The music of Pestilence is and WAS writen by Mameli. The "only" difference with the old years is the Vocals (which IMO are even better than Van Drunen's). The vocals on this album are amazing. And hello, THIS IS A GREAT DEATH METAL ALBUM.

give this album many listenings; as the modern music is more complex than the music of 80's and 90's listen to the albums for 1-2 days and for 1-2 times. then you'll have a better opinion.

No, just no. When you expect disappointment, you can also be more positive when the material actually is good and it's way better then expecting it to be a masterpiece.

The real problem is, reunion albums mostly are crap or disappointing. Especially when the band was disbanded a long time ago and when the band gets back together, They don't really know how to start making that "sound" anymore. Since everyone has changed and they aren't the same persons anymore they were back then. Most of those bands try to capture there former glory but they soon realise the painful fact that they can't and then try to modernise it, but that also fails. What you get is an lame uninspired "modern" album that is already being passed by many other modern bands, whit a small glance of the faded glory of an once great band. And it seems Pestilence is following the same fate.
22.03.2009 - 19:50
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by thesabbathfan on 21.03.2009 at 20:15

So yea.

i hate it.

WTF??? production sucks???? are u mad??? productionand vocals are great!!!!!
----
22.03.2009 - 19:51
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by VPeter on 21.03.2009 at 21:24

Written by Deadmeat on 21.03.2009 at 08:00

No, just no. When you expect disappointment, you can also be more positive when the material actually is good and it's way better then expecting it to be a masterpiece.

The real problem is, reunion albums mostly are crap or disappointing. Especially when the band was disbanded a long time ago and when the band gets back together, They don't really know how to start making that "sound" anymore. Since everyone has changed and they aren't the same persons anymore they were back then. Most of those bands try to capture there former glory but they soon realise the painful fact that they can't and then try to modernise it, but that also fails. What you get is an lame uninspired "modern" album that is already being passed by many other modern bands, whit a small glance of the faded glory of an once great band. And it seems Pestilence is following the same fate.

i see your point. ok it happens but this album imo is very nice!!!
----
22.03.2009 - 20:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Deadmeat on 22.03.2009 at 19:50

So yea.

i hate it.

WTF??? production sucks???? are u mad??? productionand vocals are great!!!!!

I agree with you that the production is good. I listened to it in the record store last Friday but didn't buy it cause the album just didn't grab me at first listen. It is all executed well and Mameli's vocals have really imrpoved over the years. But maybe I will pick it up anyway and hope it grows on me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.03.2009 - 20:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

So yea.

i hate it.

Where did you listen to it? Cause if you listen to the original cd on a normal stereo you'll see that the producion is good to great.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2009 - 22:43
Metal_Militia
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.03.2009 at 20:02

So yea.

i hate it.

Where did you listen to it? Cause if you listen to the original cd on a normal stereo you'll see that the producion is good to great.

Agree with Marcel. Production is actually really good to my ears at least
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

27.03.2009 - 18:44
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
So I listened to the new album probably 4 times, and my opinion changed. It's not crappy, but it is also certainly not anything awesome (at least to my taste); however, I think real fans of Death Metal might really like it. As far as production, it's indeed very good, nothing wrong with it. As far as songs, not very many of them really stick out. I personally liked the title track and "In Sickness and Death."

Why I hated the album after the first listen is because I listened to it through speakers, and it sounded like a mess; all the other times I listened to it through my headphones, and I could give it a proper assessment. So it actually is worth checking out.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.03.2009 - 19:10
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by K✞ulu on 27.03.2009 at 18:44

So I listened to the new album probably 4 times, and my opinion changed. It's not crappy, but it is also certainly not anything awesome (at least to my taste); however, I think real fans of Death Metal might really like it. As far as production, it's indeed very good, nothing wrong with it. As far as songs, not very many of them really stick out. I personally liked the title track and "In Sickness and Death."

Why I hated the album after the first listen is because I listened to it through speakers, and it sounded like a mess; all the other times I listened to it through my headphones, and I could give it a proper assessment. So it actually is worth checking out.

WTF is going wrong with the speakers? you are not the first one who has (at the beginning at least) a problem with the production. even if you listen the songs on myspace the sound is great.

YOU PEOPLE MAY HAVE TO CHANGE SPEAKERS
----
27.03.2009 - 19:20
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Deadmeat on 27.03.2009 at 19:10

WTF is going wrong with the speakers? you are not the first one who has (at the beginning at least) a problem with the production. even if you listen the songs on myspace the sound is great.

I think it's because it's Death Metal you know... and it's rather brutal... and my speakers are rather I must say... and you know listening to music in headphones is always better with new things... you are more concentrated.
P.S. "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is thrashy as hell
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.03.2009 - 19:23
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by K✞ulu on 27.03.2009 at 19:20

I think it's because it's Death Metal you know... and it's rather brutal... and my speakers are rather I must say... and you know listening to music in headphones is always better with new things... you are more concentrated.

it has thrash atmosphere but is not thrash!!!
----
28.03.2009 - 17:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Deadmeat on 27.03.2009 at 19:23

Written by K✞ulu on 27.03.2009 at 19:20

it has thrash atmosphere but is not thrash!!!

A bit more off-topicness... it is thrash Thrash can also be midtempo and slow, even ballads can be thrash, thrash doesn't have to be full speed ahead.

Btw, I agree with you that the people who think the production sucks of the new Pestilence should get new speakers. Or play it over a decent stereo.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.04.2009 - 01:02
Go Forth Or Die
Account deleted
I dont know what everyones talking about the album being bad i fell in love with the album as soon as heard it i think its a solid release from pestilence.
01.04.2009 - 01:32
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 01.04.2009 at 01:02

I dont know what everyones talking about the album being bad i fell in love with the album as soon as heard it i think its a solid release from pestilence.

Yeah Resurrection Macabre is very good, the more I hear it the more I like it!!!
----
01.04.2009 - 02:18
Go Forth Or Die
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 01.04.2009 at 01:32

Written by Guest on 01.04.2009 at 01:02

Yeah Resurrection Macabre is very good, the more I hear it the more I like it!!!

yea thats how i felt im glad i gave it a listen
01.04.2009 - 05:51
Metal_Militia
Yes is like it. The only problem i have with the album is the title of one of the tracks... Dehydration II. I was so stoked when i saw that name. Sure enough, it was too good to be true. Thats just a down right tease that they did and I didn't appreciate it Pestilence!
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

01.04.2009 - 10:28
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Metal_Militia on 01.04.2009 at 05:51

Yes is like it. The only problem i have with the album is the title of one of the tracks... Dehydration II. I was so stoked when i saw that name. Sure enough, it was too good to be true. Thats just a down right tease that they did and I didn't appreciate it Pestilence!

Many bands do it. They try to reach old levels with this way. to give fans this feeling. But yeah Dehdr 2 is SURELY not that great as the old one. IMO it's is a nice song but surely if they should give a song this name it should have been the best out of this album. and I guess this one is not...
----
01.04.2009 - 16:49
Metal_Militia
Yeah i mean its a good song for the new album, buty they shouldnt have given it that name
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"