Metal Storm logo
Favorite/Best NES games!

16.11.2009 - 07:14
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I come from (and will forever be stuck in) this generation of gaming. I still play these games more than any others and am always looking for suggestions as I have not played every NES game.

List your favorite NES games. Feel free to also talk about your favorite type of NES game ie: side-scroller, RPG, etc. and also your favorite NES game music!

Here are some of my favorites: Mega Man 2, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Contra, Super C, Punch Out!, SMB 3, Zelda, etc.
Favorite Music: Mega Man 2-3, Ninja Gaiden 1-2, Castlevania 1-2, (seeing a pattern here?) ...Metal Gear, etc.
Hardest Games: Castlevania 3, Shadowgate
Most Hated Games: Caveman Games, Deadly Towers, Renegade, Super Pitfall, etc.

Have at it!
----
Brujerizmo!
16.11.2009 - 07:32
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Classic. I still play some of the classics once in a while. The firsts Final Fantasies, Dragon Warriors (or Dragon Quests) and Zeldas.

Konrad you should put Dragon Warrior III in the hardest list... it's simply a huge world, in which you have to find a specific (almost invisible) place with only by guessing, cuz there are simply no directions and clues at the dialogues

Never played the version of Castlevania for NES. Gonna check this out next tim.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.11.2009 - 13:44
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
For me it would be:
SMB 2 & 3 (didn't really like the first one), both Zelda, Megaman 2 & 4 (haven't played the first, the 3rd left no memory it seems), Solstice, Castlevania 2...
Never finished Shadowgate lol
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
16.11.2009 - 13:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
Old "Mega Man" always rules. Same goes for "Super Mario". To this day I still play the first two "Zelda" games and "Metal Gear".
----
16.11.2009 - 14:03
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Never played the Metal Gears on NES...
----

I am awake"
16.11.2009 - 16:55
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I had trouble beating Shadowgate with the F.A.Q. guide lol. It's funny, Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't originally a SMB game at all. In Japan, they had this other cartoon character, but they feared that the game wouldn't be popular in America/Europe since they didn't know this cartoon character...So they turned him into Mario. The original Mario 2 was later released as THE LOST LEVELS. Great marketing scheme if you ask me! Many complain that SMB2 was like Mario on Acid...but that's why I like it.
----
Brujerizmo!
16.11.2009 - 20:18
soadbyob
Account deleted
I kicked ass on TMNT 2, still do!
16.11.2009 - 20:47
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Konrad on 16.11.2009 at 16:55

I had trouble beating Shadowgate with the F.A.Q. guide lol. It's funny, Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't originally a SMB game at all. In Japan, they had this other cartoon character, but they feared that the game wouldn't be popular in America/Europe since they didn't know this cartoon character...So they turned him into Mario. The original Mario 2 was later released as THE LOST LEVELS. Great marketing scheme if you ask me! Many complain that SMB2 was like Mario on Acid...but that's why I like it.

Yeah SMB2 was pretty weird to say the least, but I liked popping vegetables off the ground to throw them at enemies I never played Lost Levels, released on SNES, as they were described as super-hard and I'm not that at platform games.
Do you know which cartoon character it was originally ?
----

I am awake"
16.11.2009 - 21:55
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Written by Darkside Momo on 16.11.2009 at 20:47

Written by Konrad on 16.11.2009 at 16:55

Yeah SMB2 was pretty weird to say the least, but I liked popping vegetables off the ground to throw them at enemies I never played Lost Levels, released on SNES, as they were described as super-hard and I'm not that at platform games.
Do you know which cartoon character it was originally ?

Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic
----
Brujerizmo!
16.11.2009 - 22:22
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Konrad on 16.11.2009 at 21:55

Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic

Thanks! But I never heard of this one before... A quick googling lend funny results though!
----

I am awake"
17.11.2009 - 08:01
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Zelda 2 was fucking impossible.
----
Brujerizmo!
17.11.2009 - 15:48
soadbyob
Account deleted
Zelda 2 sucked compared to the original
05.12.2009 - 04:38
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Contra is probably the best shooter game for the NES, cool music, cool bosses... And the nice weapons you could get... Except the "F" one. That sucked.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
10.12.2009 - 01:50
Trevor
Love your list, brother. Here's a few of mine.

Favorite 8-bit escapes:
Zelda, Metroid, Star Tropics, Mario 1+2+3+Lost Levels, MegaMan 2+3, Maniac Mansion, Final Fantasy

Hardest controller-throwers:
The Guardian Legend, MegaMan 1, Contra, Super-C, Little Nemo: The Dream Master, fucking BattleToads

Crack:
Tetris, Dr. Mario

Best music:
DUNU dunu Dunu DUNU dunu Dunu
----
Don't panic.
10.12.2009 - 15:28
Immortal
I never used to stop playing Maniac Mansion! I could never complete it but it was still an awesome game to play. I remember how amazed I was when I found the brick that moved in the dungeon so you could escape! Ahhh memories...
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
11.12.2009 - 04:06
Trevor
Written by Immortal on 10.12.2009 at 15:28

I never used to stop playing Maniac Mansion! I could never complete it but it was still an awesome game to play. I remember how amazed I was when I found the brick that moved in the dungeon so you could escape! Ahhh memories...

So hard, I know. So were all the Lucasarts games on PC that were directly inspired by Maniac Mansion: The Dig, Day of the Tentacle, Loom, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, Monkey Island I+II, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Maniac Mansion was the trend-setter for point-and-click adventure games. Hours of awesome storytelling and points where you just can't figure out how the hose, the towel, and the fucking parrot go together. www.gamefaqs.com tyvm.
----
Don't panic.
11.12.2009 - 04:13
Trevor
Written by Trevor on 11.12.2009 at 04:06

Written by Immortal on 10.12.2009 at 15:28

So hard, I know. So were all the Lucasarts games on PC that were directly inspired by Maniac Mansion: The Dig, Day of the Tentacle, Loom, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, Monkey Island I+II, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Maniac Mansion was the trend-setter for point-and-click adventure games. Hours of awesome storytelling and points where you just can't figure out how the hose, the towel, and the fucking parrot go together. www.gamefaqs.com tyvm.

[Maniac Mansion] was the game for which the SCUMM ("Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion") engine was created and named after, which went on to be used by LucasArts for ten more years to create 13 original titles. -Wikipedia
----
Don't panic.
11.12.2009 - 05:04
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Which do y'all like better, Contra or Super C? I like em' both. Contra is more challenging, but the gameplay of Super C and the graphics are much cooler.

Also, Megaman1 is very difficult (8.5/10), but once you get the hang of it it becomes easier. Some levels I find incredibly difficult to beat w/o walkthroughs were

The Final Shredder stage of TMNT 1, The final Ninja Gaiden 2 stage (the main boss has 3 different forms, and if you lose you have to repeat the entire fucking level again...).

The Original Ninja Gaiden stages are also extremely difficult (8.5/10) but again once you know what's coming it's beatable w/o dying. Same w/ the Contra games.

Also, which is more difficult, Wizzrobes or the Shield guys in Zelda 1?
----
Brujerizmo!
12.12.2009 - 11:24
Trevor
Wizzrobes for their random spawns. Sometimes if there are three in a room, you can't help but get hit no matter where you run. At least with the shield guys you can whittle them down while taking fairly small damage. Dodongo dislikes smoke.
----
Don't panic.
27.03.2010 - 19:23
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Has anyone played this game before?

Abadox: The Deadly Inner War

Just finish it today, and it was one of the hardest games ever! Its one of that side-scrooling shoot games, about a Lieutenant in a planet that is an alien. In the year of 5012...

Some might be bummed that it takes only one shoot for us to get killed, but that makes this game even more interesting.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/