Metal Storm logo
Dio - Dio Diagnosed With Stomach Cancer, Update

Wendy Dio, the wife and manager of legendary heavy metal vocalist Ronnie James Dio (Dio, Heaven And Hell, Black Sabbath, Rainbow), has released the following statement:

"Ronnie has been diagnosed with the early stages of stomach cancer. We are starting treatment immediately at the Mayo Clinic. After he kills this dragon, Ronnie will be back on stage, where he belongs, doing what he loves best, performing for his fans.

Long live rock and roll, long live Ronnie James Dio. Thanks to all the friends and fans from all over the world that have sent well wishes. This has really helped to keep his spirit up."

Ronnie James Dio, 67, has performed with Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and his own band Dio. Other musical projects include the collective fundraiser "Hear 'n Aid". He is widely hailed as one of the most powerful singers in heavy metal, renowned for his consistently powerful voice and for popularizing the "devil's horns" hand gesture in metal culture. He is currently involved with Heaven And Hell, a project which also includes former Black Sabbath bandmates Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice. Their first studio album, The Devil You Know, was released on April 28, 2009.

Dio cancelled its European tour last week after Ronnie was taken ill. The band's lineup for the trek was supposed to include Whitesnake/ex-Dio axeman Doug Aldrich due to the fact that the group's regular guitarist, Craig Goldy, had prior touring commitments with Budgie in Australia.

UPDATED on 11.12.2009

Here is an update from Wendy Dio on Ronnie's battle with stomach cancer:

"Well, it has been a very exhausting month - after all the neverending tests in Los Angeles, we flew to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, and as soon as we arrived, we got a call from the MD Anderson Hospital that they had an appointment for us with the doctor we originally wanted, so we then flew to Houston to the clinic, and of course MORE tests, but Ronnie finished receiving his first chemo treatment on Wednesday, and all is going very well.

I would like to thank Tony Martell from the T.J. Martell Foundation, Dr. Stuart Aaronson from Mount Sinai, Lindsay Brown and Mike Carden from Eagle Records, and our very own Dr. Sandeep Kapoor, for all your help in getting us into MD Anderson, and also our friends Geezer and Gloria Butler, who flew to Houston to be with Ronnie while he had his chemo.

Ronnie and I are totally overwhelmed by the amount of well wishes that we have received from friends and fans - we are reading them all. Some make us laugh, some make us cry, but all of them are so filled with love that it gives us so much support and makes Ronnie even more determined to fight this battle and win. Thank you all for the positive energy and prayers."

In the meantime, Heaven And Hell are confirmed to play the Sonisphere festivals in Sweden, Finland and Czech Republic, as well as the Nova Rock festival in Austria.

UPDATE (thanks to Holy Man)

Here's another update on Dio's health situation:

"After a few hiccups between Christmas and New Year's, such as a blood clot, a trip to the emergency room, and a three day stay at the hospital, we had a quiet holiday spent with family and close friends. Ronnie and I just returned from Houston, where Ronnie had his third chemo treatment, and all seems to be going well. Ronnie and Simon Wright went to see Avatar, which he thought was amazing! He has also been writing more chapters for his book.

We would like to thank Simon Wright, who has been such a help with everything and a good, good friend, of course our doctor at MD Anderson, Dr. Ajani, and especially our family doctor, Dr. Sandeep Kapoor, without whose quick diagnosis and help with all the nurses and hospitals, we would be lost. His care and compassion is unwavering.

Thanks again to all of Ronnie's friends and fans, and - by the way - Ronnie has not lost any hair yet!"

You can read the full update here.

Source: ronniejamesdio.com
Band profile: Dio
Posted: 15.01.2010 by Jeff

Comments page 3 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 102   [ 7 ignored ]   Visited by: 675 users
28.11.2009 - 12:30
or1doron
God bless you rjd. We love you and wish you well.
we cross our fingers for you!
11.12.2009 - 19:22
Elio
Red Nightmare
Awww, good luck.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
11.12.2009 - 19:44
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Ah, how can one talk and say nothing at the same time...not much of an update, really...
Still, it's better than no "updates" at all, I guess, I'm glad they address the fans, even they can't say much at this time...
Our thoughts are with you, Ronnie!!!Get well...
11.12.2009 - 19:55
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I will be praying for him. I hope you get to live for a lot longer.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
11.12.2009 - 20:03
Dumper
I hope that's not the worst case
11.12.2009 - 20:32
Black_Handed
A village idiot
This sucks balls....gl dio!
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
11.12.2009 - 22:10
I really hope he'll get well. :/ Wishes!
11.12.2009 - 22:37
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Stomach cancer is totally not cool.... If it doesn't get him soon it will get him later. There needs to be more pessimism about this.
----
Coldgrits
11.12.2009 - 23:41
Symmachus
He's going through chemotherapy. Best of luck toward him, his family, and his friends. Long live Ronnie James Dio!
12.12.2009 - 00:25
Kingface
Best of luck to Dio, his family and his friends.
12.12.2009 - 03:20
Crème fraiche
One more dragon to slay DIO!!
12.12.2009 - 08:51
In Bone Factory
Best health wishes for you dear dio.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
12.12.2009 - 09:34
Forsaker
I hope you get well dio
12.12.2009 - 17:02
fosi
Dio will make it!I'm sure!!!
12.12.2009 - 18:57
Overlord_PT
Great news
13.12.2009 - 08:47
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
What a man, he is going to perform in some gigs next year even if something like this is happening to him
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
13.12.2009 - 14:45
Jay
Perkele
Stomach cancer is so bad news... I just read that surgery is the most common treatment and is the only hope of cure for stomach cancer. So I wonder if they will really remove part of his stomach... Also I read that only 24 % of men who are diagnosed with stomach cancer are still alive 5 years after the diagnosis... Fuck.... This is terrible Dio can't die...

I really hope that he will make it through this hell and will continue to tribute to the metal scene. Dio has done a great job in Rainbow and Sabbath, his solo career is awesome, Heaven and Hell's album 'The Devil You Know' is great... 10/10...

I wish the best for you Dio...
----
This one goes to 11
14.12.2009 - 16:31
Bizzaremifo
Good luck Ronnie, u have to fight !!
12.01.2010 - 20:17
vikingman369
Holy shit!

people on metalstorm wish death on Anette Olzon, Dani Filth, Shagrath, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, Lacuna Coil, (they were almost cheering for joy when The Rev died), but then this bruce-dickinson-tenor-wannabe gets cancer and everyone starts bawling...

THERE'S NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT DIO! i've listened to his sound, and its no different than any other 80s hair-band like iron maiden, judas priest, deep purple, megadeth, twisted sister, etc. (basically all the pop-metal bands that everyone on metalstorm loves)

and don't even bother trying to fuck me up with your shit "dio is God, you suck" replies, I don't ever read your gay-@$$ opinions to begin with, you fucking perverted, nazi-commie-fairy faggots! B---
----
"God it feels
Like it only rains on me" -- My World
12.01.2010 - 20:28
soadbyob
Account deleted
Written by vikingman369 on 12.01.2010 at 20:17

Holy shit!

people on metalstorm wish death on Anette Olzon, Dani Filth, Shagrath, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, Lacuna Coil, (they were almost cheering for joy when The Rev died), but then this bruce-dickinson-tenor-wannabe gets cancer and everyone starts bawling...

THERE'S NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT DIO! i've listened to his sound, and its no different than any other 80s hair-band like iron maiden, judas priest, deep purple, megadeth, twisted sister, etc. (basically all the pop-metal bands that everyone on metalstorm loves)

and don't even bother trying to fuck me up with your shit "dio is God, you suck" replies, I don't ever read your gay-@$$ opinions to begin with, you fucking perverted, nazi-commie-fairy faggots! B---

Dude, take a fuckin chill pill. Just because you dont like an artist dosent mean you have to be a fuckin dick about it, besides have some fuckin respect, im sure youd want the same
15.01.2010 - 20:57
Reza
Account deleted
"Killing The Cancer" Dear Dio!
15.01.2010 - 21:04
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Wow, that guy is douching so hard, the water is shooting out of his ass. >:/
15.01.2010 - 21:15
macraigma
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 15.01.2010 at 21:04

Wow, that guy is douching so hard, the water is shooting out of his ass. >:/

hahahaha

best of luck Dio.
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
15.01.2010 - 21:16
spirit_inblack
harshhead

Holy shit!

You know what, how about you leave then if this forum is like that and you disagree with this so much that you have to bitch about it? You want to call us shit like that, get over your issues. And as for my reply back, haha, I got the lolz when I looked at what you listen to, so I can't even take it seriously. You're opinions are gay @$$ (in your words). And no, I'm not a Dio fan, but he is still a metal icon. The pop bands on MS that everyone loves??? Look at your favorite bands. Korpiklaani. Haha.

You don't call me and the rest of these folks shit like that buddy.
15.01.2010 - 21:21
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by spirit_inblack on 15.01.2010 at 21:16

And as for my reply back, haha, I got the lolz when I looked at what you listen to, so I can't even take it seriously. You're opinions are gay @$$ (in your words). And no, I'm not a Dio fan, but he is still a metal icon. The pop bands on MS that everyone loves??? Look at your favorite bands.

You don't call me and the rest of these folks shit like that buddy.

I thought the same thing when I looked at his favorites too. I shouldn't be surprised at how ignorant some people can be... But tools like this catch me off-guard sometimes. :/
15.01.2010 - 21:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
This will be fun.

Holy shit!

(blah blah ranting frothing blah)... but then this bruce-dickinson-tenor-wannabe gets cancer and everyone starts bawling...

(time to break out the old Billy Madison quote...)

Vikingman-child, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

for starters, Dio is not a "Dickinson wannabe" - his career as a vocalist for metal bands started well before Dickinson arrived on the scene.

As for "there is nothing special about him" - that is your subjective opinion. you're allowed to have it. that is swell. but just because you "Vikingman" (lofl) don't find worth in him doesn't mean that others shouldn't, either.

The fact is his contribution to metal is vast and significant, from helping resurrect Black Sabbath following Ozzy's departure, to the \m/ symbol... not to mention heaps of albums and being a well-spoken (unlike, say, yourself) ambassador for the genre who carries himself with dignity.

What have you done lately?

Other random shots -

Deep Purple an 80's hair-band?

It's funny you call a bunch of bands that were popular only because the audience they drew in in the 80's was significant enough that it could not be ignored. In regards to Maiden and Priest, MTV included them (even pimped them in heavy rotation and promo spots) because the band's popularity was greater than that of the network itself. In short, at that point in time, MTV needed the metalheads.

When MTV gained enough popularity, they cut off the metal - but that never changed the approach of those bands. They continued plugging away as they always had done.

Those bands were -and remain - popular because for the most part (Turbo, Risk aside) they remained true enough to their roots to keep their fanbase.

They are not popular because they are plastic Top-40 commodities, they are popular because they climbed from the ground up, with virtually no help from any musical establishment.

Given your own favorites list, your calling out of these bands is pretty hilarious.

Finally, i don't really give a shit if you ever read this or not. I just wanted to pretty much show up and stick a fork in each and every aspect of your nerdrage to further discredit you and any opinion you should espouse on any subject... not that people would take you as particularly credible after your rant to begin with.

what a fuckwit.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.01.2010 - 21:43
Symmachus
It looks like Dio is doing well currently. That is great news. Fight on, Ronnie James Dio.
15.01.2010 - 21:44
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
*High-fives BitterCOld*
15.01.2010 - 22:14
prk
Written by Jay on 13.12.2009 at 14:45

Stomach cancer is so bad news... I just read that surgery is the most common treatment and is the only hope of cure for stomach cancer. So I wonder if they will really remove part of his stomach... Also I read that only 24 % of men who are diagnosed with stomach cancer are still alive 5 years after the diagnosis... Fuck.... This is terrible Dio can't die...

I really hope that he will make it through this hell and will continue to tribute to the metal scene. Dio has done a great job in Rainbow and Sabbath, his solo career is awesome, Heaven and Hell's album 'The Devil You Know' is great... 10/10...

I wish the best for you Dio...

hopefully he'll beat the odds; it seems like his diagnosis was made relatively early before spread, so hopefully resecting his stomach will mean the end of the cancer. and if unfortunately he doesn't make it, he will still live on through his legacy
----
well that's just like... your opinion, man...
15.01.2010 - 22:46
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 15.01.2010 at 21:44

*High-fives BitterCOld*

Seconded!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul