Metal Storm logo
Grammy Awards - Best Metal Performance Nominations

Yesterday, nominations for the 52nd annual Grammy Awards were announced by The Recording Academy. Here are the nominees for Best Metal Performance:

Judas Priest - "Dissident Aggressor" (from A Touch of Evil ? Live)
Lamb Of God - "Set to Fail" (from Wrath)
Megadeth - "Head Crusher" (from Endgame)
Ministry - "Señor Peligro" (from Adios...)
Slayer - "Hate Worldwide" (from World Painted Blood)

Except for Slayer, who already won 2 Grammys, none of the bands have won before. Megadeth were already nominated 8 times without a win (together with Metallica, the band who has been nominated the most in this category since its introduction in 1989), Ministry were already nominated 6 times and Judas Priest already had 4 nominations without a win. Lamb of God were previously nominated once, in 2007.

Metallica's "Unforgiven III" is nominated in the Best Hard Rock Performance, together with AC/DC's "War Machine", Alice In Chains' "Check My Brain", Linkin Park's "What I've Done" and Nickelback's "Burn It to the Ground". AC/DC is also nominated for Best Rock Album, while Steve Vai is up for a Best Rock Instrumental Performance award.

Awards will be handed out on January 31, 2010 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles and will air on CBS television. A full list of all nominees can be found here.

Source: grammy.com
Posted: 03.12.2009 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 49   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 396 users
03.12.2009 - 18:03
Baz Anderson
Staff
Always the same bands. There is no value to metal in this grammy award.
03.12.2009 - 18:08
Konrad
Mormon Storm
WWWHACK!
----
Brujerizmo!
03.12.2009 - 18:16
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Quote:
There is no value to metal in this grammy award.

Yea your right, but I would love to see Dave Mustaine get a grammy. But that's just the fan boy talking. Anyway, who cares if there is no perceived value in the awards? If popular media outlets want to give these musicians pretty prestigious awards we should praise them, not turn the other cheek. I know that metal as a community does not seek the approval of the general populace, but when their approval and even applause is given, are we too cynical to accept it?
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
03.12.2009 - 18:25
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Chainer on 03.12.2009 at 18:16

Quote:

Yea your right, but I would love to see Dave Mustaine get a grammy. But that's just the fan boy talking. Anyway, who cares if there is no perceived value in the awards? If popular media outlets want to give these musicians pretty prestigious awards we should praise them, not turn the other cheek. I know that metal as a community does not seek the approval of the general populace, but when their approval and even applause is given, are we too cynical to accept it?

It's nothing to do with "approval of the general populace" - it's about doing it right!
How many fantastic albums have been released this year, but flew over the grammy's radar because it didn't sell X amount?
03.12.2009 - 18:32
soadbyob
Account deleted
, no mastodon?? damn...
03.12.2009 - 18:38
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Quote:
It's nothing to do with "approval of the general populace" - it's about doing it right!
How many fantastic albums have been released this year, but flew over the grammy's radar because it didn't sell X amount?

Of course you are correct, and I wouldn't attempt to argue otherwise. However this being said, I think that people who enjoy metal should want to see it praised, even if we know that there are bigger and better things that the old sacks on the grammy committees have no clue about. The bottom line is that I want to see this form of music given some goddamn respect, and if the only way to achieve that is by giving one of the grandfathers of metal a shitty trophy than so be it.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
03.12.2009 - 18:46
fade
Son of Sweden
Staff
Written by Baz Anderson on 03.12.2009 at 18:03

Always the same bands. There is no value to metal in this grammy award.

It's the US what do you expect... those people who nominate don't know their hand from their asshole.
----
The troubles of avoiding horseshit.
My Music database: http://www.racksandtags.com/northernsky/
03.12.2009 - 18:56
soadbyob
Account deleted
Quote:
It's the US what do you expect... those people who nominate don't know their hand from their asshole./quote]

hell yeah, man
03.12.2009 - 19:14
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I dont know why the hell there should be a grammy thing for metal anyway....its a freekin joke. Metal was never supposed to win awards, wasnt it always supposed to be the opposite? Not do what the mainstream does? And its bullshit that it all depends on sales anyway because it means abolutely nothing and bands end up getting sales purely based on the fact that they have a fanbase built up over 30 years, nothing more.

damn stupid all this...
03.12.2009 - 19:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Honestly, who gives a shit?

the reality is all these award shows are just backslapping circle jerk bullshit parties by and for douchebags who think the world revolves around them.

metal is just barely even tolerated, let alone respected, by these people.

fuck the lot of them, and fuck the people who actually watch these shows.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.12.2009 - 19:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Baz Anderson on 03.12.2009 at 18:25

Written by Chainer on 03.12.2009 at 18:16

Quote:

As Lemmy Kilmister stated; it's a day where the record industry pats itself on the back and says "Didn't we do a good job?" There's a little part of me that hopes every year that perhaps, out of some small shred of a possibility they get a little creative with the nomination picks, but it's never going to happen.

Same bullshit, new year. Nothing exciting.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.12.2009 - 19:27
soadbyob
Account deleted
Exactly, fuck the grammy, well decide who wins awards, TRUE METAL:banger2:
03.12.2009 - 19:32
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by Guest on 03.12.2009 at 19:14

Metal was never supposed to win awards, wasnt it always supposed to be the opposite? Not do what the mainstream does?

Thats it! MS Awards 2009 should be canceled. (sorry for taking your post out of context, its the first thing that came to mind)

I also find it funny how metallica is nominated for best hard rock performance.
03.12.2009 - 19:40
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Theres never been any value to the grammys. they mean NOTHING.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
03.12.2009 - 20:11
bard
It's almost like they don't listen to the music, they just browse through the years releases searching for big names and then put then on the nomination list.
----
03.12.2009 - 21:07
Got Mayhem?
Yea, basically the same bands I thought I would see nominated.
----
03.12.2009 - 21:12
BlankFile
Who cares for the fucking grammys? i don´t for sure...
03.12.2009 - 21:16
DoomGuard
Written by Guest on 03.12.2009 at 18:32

, no mastodon?? damn...

no duh, their not as popular as these bands lol, but their newest album was pretty sweet, it deserves an award.
03.12.2009 - 21:21
Slayer and Stryper to Appear on New Fox Reality Show, "Singer Swap"

LOS ANGELES?It was announced this morning that both infamous heavy metal bands, Slayer and Stryper, will appear on a Fox reality show entitled, "Singer Swap," a show based on the successful ABC show, "Wife Swap," in which two...

READ MORE at theumpteenthtimes.com/?p=1569

"Music News That's Fit to Fake"
03.12.2009 - 21:23
soadbyob
Account deleted
Stryper? there still alive, damnit
03.12.2009 - 21:25
Keiheji
Call it a hunch, but i have a feeling Slayer will get this one...
03.12.2009 - 22:21
iMorphball
Lol, they just owned Metallica.
Best Hard Rock performance. xD
03.12.2009 - 22:57
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Tbh, i only care what gets nominated in the annual MS awards rather than grammy...
----
loves 小巫
03.12.2009 - 23:02
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by iMorphball on 03.12.2009 at 22:21

They have some stiff competition with Linkin Park and Nickelback...
03.12.2009 - 23:03
iMorphball
Written by Introspekrieg on 03.12.2009 at 23:02

Written by iMorphball on 03.12.2009 at 22:21

They have some stiff competition with Linkin Park and Nickelback...

lmao xD
If they'll win in that catagory, I'll doubt it. haha
03.12.2009 - 23:04
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
The Grammy Awards is nothing more than a corporate circle jerk. It's the same every year, and it's the same this year as well.
03.12.2009 - 23:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
The Swedish grammy awards are much better, although I don't care about it either. But they at least nominate bands such as Opeth and Cult of Luna.
----
03.12.2009 - 23:52
Slyfang
Written by Warman on 03.12.2009 at 23:43

The Swedish grammy awards are much better, although I don't care about it either. But they at least nominate bands such as Opeth and Cult of Luna.

where In Flames beat Meshuggah? yeah right. grammys have forever and always been about album sales
03.12.2009 - 23:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Slyfang on 03.12.2009 at 23:52

Written by Warman on 03.12.2009 at 23:43

where In Flames beat Meshuggah? yeah right. grammys have forever and always been about album sales

Exactly, that's why I don't care about that one either. But they at least have better nominations.
----
03.12.2009 - 23:56
Angel Of Mercy
I totally agree, I would love Megadeth to get one and metallica not too.
----
Your time will come.

Hits total: 5064 | This month: 13