08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced by Kevin Shirley.
Co-produced by Steve Harris.
Mixed by Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley.
Recorded at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas.
Engineer: Jared Kvitka.
Studio Technician: Terry Manning.
Additional recording and mix at The Cave, Malibu, CA.
Studio Technician: Brent Spear.
Assistant: James McCullagh.
SSL Duality Technician: Philip Scholes.
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, Portland, ME.

Art Direction & Design by Peacock (Stuart Crouch, Andrew Yap, Anthony Dry, Rob Wallis).
Cover Illustration, working drawings and sketches by Melvyn Grant.
Photograph by John McMurtrie.
Background images pages 4/5 and 8/9 by Darkside Animations, background image pages 10/11 by Hangman.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

Read more ››
published 16.08.2010 | Comments (255)

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 83 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 16

Comments: 471   Visited by: 2535 users
20.05.2010 - 13:42
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.05.2010 at 11:58

I have been listening to Iron Maiden ever since the Soundhouse Tapes and Metal For Muthas. So, you are right... I listened to them before Bruce joined. And I dare say that they DID release mediocre and even shitty albums. Funnily all of the stuff AFTER Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son I find patchy at best.

I'm a bit too young for the Soundhouse Tapes but I first heard Maiden's music when their first official album was released in 1980.
And I have the same opinion about the stuff post-SSOASS.
But there are people who could not be rational even for the sake of their lives as soon as Iron Maiden is involved.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
24.05.2010 - 00:57
MacofMetal
You guys are lame i love all maidens albums except for the first two...
24.05.2010 - 03:19
Rating: 4
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by MacofMetal on 24.05.2010 at 00:57

BURN THE HERETIC! :O
28.05.2010 - 22:51
MacofMetal
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.05.2010 at 03:19

Written by MacofMetal on 24.05.2010 at 00:57

BURN THE HERETIC! :O

all for the LULZ. im serious tho. maiden is my favorite band i just dont enjoy their first two albums as much as the other ones
30.05.2010 - 17:08
Rating: 10
Kalmari
The only albums I'm not too giddy about are the albums from the 90´s (more boring songs and lack of great singing) but still every one of them has at least one amazing song. Like for example No Prayer For The Dying, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Sign Of The Cross, The Clansman. IMO all 2000 maiden albums are almost comparable to the best 80's stuff. Paschendale, Brave New World, The Legacy... amazing stuff...
03.06.2010 - 02:19
MacofMetal
Written by Kalmari on 30.05.2010 at 17:08

The only albums I'm not too giddy about are the albums from the 90´s (more boring songs and lack of great singing) but still every one of them has at least one amazing song. Like for example No Prayer For The Dying, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Sign Of The Cross, The Clansman. IMO all 2000 maiden albums are almost comparable to the best 80's stuff. Paschendale, Brave New World, The Legacy... amazing stuff...

Agreed
08.06.2010 - 10:23
Rating: 8
Angel Of Mercy
Heard the new track , bit worried about the quality from the album from hearing that. Hope the whole album isn't like that.
----
Your time will come.
17.06.2010 - 02:51
Rating: 8
renai
Sorry but No Prayer For the Dying is very underated album with awesome songs. The title song and Mother Russia should included as classics.

For this album at least their cover art still a 'classic' style, not just cheap photoshop mock up.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
17.06.2010 - 17:43
everonn
It is impossible to like only one maiden song, or a few maiden songs. All of them are legendary and they reflect different styles. new song is great. if you don't like it, go listen to Korn or smth.
18.06.2010 - 22:49
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by everonn on 17.06.2010 at 17:43

It is impossible to like only one maiden song, or a few maiden songs. All of them are legendary and they reflect different styles. new song is great. if you don't like it, go listen to Korn or smth.

Thanks for deciding on what everyone's opinion should be. I mean shit, I didn't know if I liked one of their songs, all of them, or none of them! But now that you have decided for me, I don't have to worry about it! Thank you, great and mighty O Lord of Metal! -_-
19.06.2010 - 04:14
Lord_Regnier
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 18.06.2010 at 22:49

Written by everonn on 17.06.2010 at 17:43

Thanks for deciding on what everyone's opinion should be. I mean shit, I didn't know if I liked one of their songs, all of them, or none of them! But now that you have decided for me, I don't have to worry about it! Thank you, great and mighty O Lord of Metal! -_-

And if we don't like every Maiden song, no problem, we only need to listen to Korn. lol

On a more serious note: sad to see how low fanboyism can make some people sink.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
19.06.2010 - 04:28
Rating: 6
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by shadow616 on 06.05.2010 at 23:05

IM - New Wave of how to earn some money... some? Huge mountains of money by doing shit...

They'll probably get away with it too.
21.06.2010 - 19:36
everonn
Say your opinions freely mighty metalheads. but my opinion is one! people who don't like this song are not worthy of listening to maiden at all. This is my opinion. Cause i believe that if you don't like it, you don't understand the rest...
21.06.2010 - 20:34
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Not "worthy"? You're cute.
21.06.2010 - 22:28
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by everonn on 21.06.2010 at 19:36

Say your opinions freely mighty metalheads. but my opinion is one! people who don't like this song are not worthy of listening to maiden at all. This is my opinion. Cause i believe that if you don't like it, you don't understand the rest...

are you serious?

a thousands of for you.
29.06.2010 - 18:57
x-avier
I dont like the cover of the album at all, I dont know why they make so much trouble with their fisrt and more famous album cover designer. It looks like a kid magazine I dont know, Maiden fans are from all ages I think that the old fashioned 80s style is gone. I hope their album is a mix of everything since el dorado is fine but not even close to brave new world or dance of death. Someone in a forum said that a song I dont remember which one sounds like infinite dreams, that is something I´m looking forward to.
30.06.2010 - 13:50
everonn
Written by Guest on 21.06.2010 at 22:28

are you serious?

a thousands of for you.

of course i am not serious. Just enraged and ready to unleash my hate for those who dislike maiden's songs (that's also not serious)
why so serious ?
30.06.2010 - 15:19
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by everonn on 30.06.2010 at 13:50

are you serious?

a thousands of for you.

of course i am not serious. Just enraged and ready to unleash my hate for those who dislike maiden's songs (that's also not serious)
why so serious ?

you just don't know when it's time to stop, do you? Does freedom of speech apply only for you, and not for the others? Zero tolerence for those who disagree with you? Then maybe you shouldn't write on forums. There will always be people disagreeing with you, making fun of your opinion, butchering your favourite album or band, but that's how it is, that's freedom of expressing ourselves freely, but fight back with diplomacy and intelligence not "hate".

I understand Maiden is your favourite band, you love it so much, it hurts for you to see them criticised. Well they are one of my favourite bands as well, they are skilled musicians, but to claim their perfect it's just ridiculous. Every band has weaker songs or albums; I listened to No Prayer and Virtual XI last week and just got bored out of my mind. Those two albums just don't work for me anymore for some reason. At least No Prayer I know I listened to it too many times back in the day when it appeared, I was a highschool kid. I guess it does not have staying power. I used to listen to Seventh Son... in those years too, but SSOTSS never gets old. NPFTD does.

Like someone previously said, IM is a business, too, they have to honor contracts, they make some people (and themselves) a lot of money. Well, sometimes musicians are not very creative when making music for contractual reasons; sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Look at Metallica's St Anger - it is THE example of things going wrong in this situation.

I sincerely look forward to Maiden's new album even though I kinda was diappointed with El Dorado. I hope the rest of the album will be more interesting than that. That's all i can say. Please unleash some tolerence and diplomacy on us next time you write here, because frankly I'm already tired of your fanboyism and hate.
04.07.2010 - 08:48
Gummingurru
Written by Guest on 30.06.2010 at 15:19

are you serious?

a thousands of for you.

why so serious ?

you just don't know when it's time to stop, do you? Does freedom of speech apply only for you, and not for the others? Zero tolerence for those who disagree with you? Then maybe you shouldn't write on forums. There will always be people disagreeing with you, making fun of your opinion, butchering your favourite album or band, but that's how it is, that's freedom of expressing ourselves freely, but fight back with diplomacy and intelligence not "hate".

I understand Maiden is your favourite band, you love it so much, it hurts for you to see them criticised. Well they are one of my favourite bands as well, they are skilled musicians, but to claim their perfect it's just ridiculous. Every band has weaker songs or albums; I listened to No Prayer and Virtual XI last week and just got bored out of my mind. Those two albums just don't work for me anymore for some reason. At least No Prayer I know I listened to it too many times back in the day when it appeared, I was a highschool kid. I guess it does not have staying power. I used to listen to Seventh Son... in those years too, but SSOTSS never gets old. NPFTD does.

Like someone previously said, IM is a business, too, they have to honor contracts, they make some people (and themselves) a lot of money. Well, sometimes musicians are not very creative when making music for contractual reasons; sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Look at Metallica's St Anger - it is THE example of things going wrong in this situation.

I sincerely look forward to Maiden's new album even though I kinda was diappointed with El Dorado. I hope the rest of the album will be more interesting than that. That's all i can say. Please unleash some tolerence and diplomacy on us next time you write here, because frankly I'm already tired of your fanboyism and hate.

I guess you just said what everyone was thinking .Lots of for you
05.07.2010 - 15:31
everonn
Written by Guest on 30.06.2010 at 15:19

are you serious?

a thousands of for you.

why so serious ?

Well you may be tired of me. It doesn't matter. i just say what i think. if i have tolerance or not ? you may not now. This is a stupid metal forum and everybody is talking shit. you may just ignore me. why do you even reply my messages. why don't you have tolerance for fanboys?
did you think it this way? i have the right to write here anything i want. i am not insulting anyone in particular. but you are trying to insult me.
and you fail. because i am already immune to it...spending too many years in these forums, i learned not to care what you people say.
new song rocks...i can't stop listening to it )
05.07.2010 - 21:49
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by everonn on 05.07.2010 at 15:31

Well you may be tired of me. It doesn't matter. i just say what i think. if i have tolerance or not ? you may not now. This is a stupid metal forum and everybody is talking shit. you may just ignore me. why do you even reply my messages. why don't you have tolerance for fanboys?
did you think it this way? i have the right to write here anything i want. i am not insulting anyone in particular. but you are trying to insult me.
and you fail. because i am already immune to it...spending too many years in these forums, i learned not to care what you people say.

First of all, why are you calling this forum stupid? Is everybody really talking only shit? A lot of things people write on this forum are well thought, well written ideas. You say you're not insulting anyone in particular? well you did insult a few people on these Iron Maiden threads.

Why don't I have tolerance for fanboys? It's because they are often aggressive and take things personally, some of them are narrow-minded, they get easily upset and defensive when people pick on their favourite band. That's why.

So I failed? At what? I'm not trying to change your opinions, or impose my point of view. But it seems that you think only you are right and evryone else is just wrong.
12.07.2010 - 11:39
Pap
El Dorado is another moderate song for Iron Maiden's huge level... A matter of life and death part 2??? Maybe they should examine the possibility to retire and rename the final frontier to the final recording....Anyway as the front cover says Iron maiden i'm going to buy it and give it a chance but i'm quite pessimist about the outcome
13.07.2010 - 08:21
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
If there is people that think Fear of the dark is a record with some good songs, or one of the worst record, or simply it is a bad Iron Maiden album, sincerely i can't believe it. Why? because letters maybe? i cant understand.

Sorry, but Fear of the dark is one of the best records of Iron Maiden, melody and musically at least.

On the other hand, not all is good for me, after Brave new world Iron maiden lost level. But now i'm waiting for the new album too, i believe in him, i think that it will be a good record this time, with more punch.

Regards.
13.07.2010 - 13:43
everonn
Written by Guest on 05.07.2010 at 21:49

Written by everonn on 05.07.2010 at 15:31

First of all, why are you calling this forum stupid? Is everybody really talking only shit? A lot of things people write on this forum are well thought, well written ideas. You say you're not insulting anyone in particular? well you did insult a few people on these Iron Maiden threads.

Why don't I have tolerance for fanboys? It's because they are often aggressive and take things personally, some of them are narrow-minded, they get easily upset and defensive when people pick on their favourite band. That's why.

So I failed? At what? I'm not trying to change your opinions, or impose my point of view. But it seems that you think only you are right and evryone else is just wrong.

Respect...to your clever message...of course i think that i am right and all others are wrong otherwise i wouldn't be typing here.
just as you think that i am wrong...which is wrong.

god bless you all
13.07.2010 - 13:55
everonn
Written by Pap on 12.07.2010 at 11:39

El Dorado is another moderate song for Iron Maiden's huge level... A matter of life and death part 2??? Maybe they should examine the possibility to retire and rename the final frontier to the final recording....Anyway as the front cover says Iron maiden i'm going to buy it and give it a chance but i'm quite pessimist about the outcome

For example, this person may suggest that iron maiden should consider stop recording new albums...
In my opinion this person should stop breathing...:)
13.07.2010 - 21:41
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I laugh at all the idiotic children arguing over stupid things.
Ha-ha.
14.07.2010 - 00:11
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.07.2010 at 21:41

I laugh at all the idiotic children arguing over stupid things.
Ha-ha.

another one bites the dust

14.07.2010 - 08:11
CliffemAll
The two songs I've heard from this album so far I have not liked. I'm starting to worry...
14.07.2010 - 12:37
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by CliffemAll on 14.07.2010 at 08:11

The two songs I've heard from this album so far I have not liked. I'm starting to worry...

Same here. Finally got around to listening to them today. "El Dorado" was slightly decent, but I hated "Satellite 15". It just doesn't sound right.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
14.07.2010 - 14:40
Pap
Written by everonn on 13.07.2010 at 13:55

Written by Pap on 12.07.2010 at 11:39

For example, this person may suggest that iron maiden should consider stop recording new albums...
In my opinion this person should stop breathing...:)

And in my opinion you should find a chick because apparently you masturbate too much with the logic outcome to write bullshit to people you don't know. Even better have an iq test and then you will be able to declare yourself as a human experimental model of stupidity

Hits total: 66585 | This month: 150