10. So Fine
11. Estranged
12. You Could Be Mine
13. Don't Cry [Alternative Lyrics version]
14. My World

Guest review by
JavierML
Rating:
Brief story. This was my very first album, a gift from my cousin for my birthday. And so, this is my first review, for an album that I really like and didn't have one.

I think this is the best album by Guns N' Roses. The essence of hard rock-mixed blues (matching the color of the cover) is amazing and more refined than the previous albums and some ballads that have always been a part of G N' R. Axl's awesome voice in his prime lets you know what this is about, the solos by Slash have their unique signature that give G N' R its soul, Izzy contributes with his songwriting - and backing up Slash, Duff brings deepness to the music. Matt fits perfectly in his debut.

Read more ››
published 02.12.2013 | Comments (6)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 44   Visited by: 659 users
01.02.2010 - 21:18
Reza
Account deleted
IMO Use Your Illusion II is better than I. It's great!
26.07.2010 - 12:07
Rating: 10
Aristarchos
Better than appetite too.
26.10.2010 - 01:35
Rating: 8
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Just got though listening to both of the Use Your Illusions. I have to say these two are so rediculously underrated its amazing. I guess between having a strong debut, subpar singles from these albums and the band imploding I suppose its just a bad formula for these albums. Despite wat I was expecting, I really liked 2 better. 1 is almost as good, but the best songs just feel like fast songs veering out of control, while this album seems to have an increased attention in song writing. Maybe its just the pianos, I don't know.
11.11.2010 - 12:03
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Knocking on heavens door and civil war, how many times i've listened to these song great album
11.11.2010 - 14:32
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Paradox0 on 26.10.2010 at 01:35

Just got though listening to both of the Use Your Illusions. I have to say these two are so rediculously underrated its amazing. I guess between having a strong debut, subpar singles from these albums and the band imploding I suppose its just a bad formula for these albums. Despite wat I was expecting, I really liked 2 better. 1 is almost as good, but the best songs just feel like fast songs veering out of control, while this album seems to have an increased attention in song writing. Maybe its just the pianos, I don't know.

The Illusion albums are anything but underrated; back in 1992/1993, GNR were huge even in my small hometown, they were on heavy rotation on radio and TV, to the point that I could not listen to the albums anymore, they were ridiculously popular.
11.11.2010 - 16:59
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by Guest on 11.11.2010 at 14:32

Written by Paradox0 on 26.10.2010 at 01:35

The Illusion albums are anything but underrated; back in 1992/1993, GNR were huge even in my small hometown, they were on heavy rotation on radio and TV, to the point that I could not listen to the albums anymore, they were ridiculously popular.

Don't get me wrong I know how these two made history by being the only time a band released two separate albums, and both debut at #1 and 2. I just feel that these albums have been sadly forgotten as opposed to Apettite (although Knockin', November's Rain, and Live and Let Die are played I just feel these arn't even some of the best moments of the albums)
04.03.2012 - 22:07
Korah
Good album even if I prefer the part one by far.
----
Don't cry for my English
21.04.2012 - 20:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Although I've always preffered the first Illusion album over this one, this is still a fine album that for the most part, contains amazing songs.

"My World" is totally ridiculous and out of place, and should never have been on the album. "Get In The Ring" is marred because of that stupid rant by Axl midway through the song, but musically, it is awesome. I'd love to hear this song without that rant in it. It'd be so much better. There's not much to fault with the rest of the album though with classics like "Estranged", "Civil War" and "You Could Be Mine" on offer! The songs sung by Izzy and Duff ("14 Years" and "So Fine") are very underrated and awesome songs. "Pretty Tied Up" is another great song, notable for containing a riff that's far more metal than hard rock, and also it's awesome sitar intro played by Izzy!

Not quite as awesome as Illusion 1, but it's still a great album nonetheless.
24.04.2012 - 00:49
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Overall, I is better than II. Many fine moments here as well, but the bad tracks here are the worst of GnR's career ("My World", "Get in the Ring", "Shotgun Blues").

Still, the good songs are as good as anything on I. Highlights: "Estranged", "Civil War", "You Could Be Mine", "14 Years", "Locomotive".
21.05.2012 - 02:09
Eduardovh1
My favorite album of Guns N' Roses
09.01.2013 - 21:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Vastly superior to Use Your Illusion I
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2013 - 22:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I had this one coppy in cassete, till get hands tro orginal .... opening song awesomne, this is softest album, softer than I , but seems band worked on music and lyrics werry much .... pertty interesting, even conflitcs, Axels mind fuck up, alcohol, they manidge write good one , well we know last one orgial album whit orginal line up .... I like pretty much all songs , ok my world ... seomehow Axel rocker dessing , somehow he seems like hip hop fashion
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.03.2013 - 19:12
Aristarchos
One of my favourite albums of all time. Especially love Estranged.
01.03.2013 - 19:13
Aristarchos
But there are many other fantastic tracks too.
29.04.2014 - 09:42
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I think "Civil War" is probably the best song the Gunners ever did. I agree with Angelic Storm about the ridiculous Axl rant in "Get in the Ring" being a major flaw in the album. But all in all, this is a good album that contains some very good songs. I remember absolutely loving the single "You Could be Mine" when it first came out as a promotional song for the Terminator 2 movie. Couldn't get enough of it. And "Pretty Tied Up" is a catchy number.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
29.04.2014 - 12:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ace Frawley on 29.04.2014 at 09:42

I think "Civil War" is probably the best song the Gunners ever did. I agree with Angelic Storm about the ridiculous Axl rant in "Get in the Ring" being a major flaw in the album. But all in all, this is a good album that contains some very good songs. I remember absolutely loving the single "You Could be Mine" when it first came out as a promotional song for the Terminator 2 movie. Couldn't get enough of it. And "Pretty Tied Up" is a catchy number.

"Coma" gets my vote for best GnR song, but "Civil War" is certainly up there with their very best stuff. It's a wonderful song. And yeah, that rant pretty much ruins what could have been a great song.

Yep, when "You Could Be Mine" was released as a single, I listened to it constantly. I remember I first taped it off the radio during the top 40 chart show! It is a killer song, and could easily have been on Appetite. In fact, I think that song was written during the Appetite sessions. Overall, this album certainly has it's flaws, but the killer material on offer makes up for them.
29.04.2014 - 18:32
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Right, but what about Duff's rant in "Get in the Ring"? It's as stupid as Axl's. Something about yeast infections and whatnot. That song never had a chance of being anything other than awful.
30.04.2014 - 07:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by deadone on 30.04.2014 at 01:51
I like that rant.

It reminds me of all those shit mags I used to read as a teenager, back when Hot Metal and Metal Hammer were "uber brutal" cause they had occassional real metal bands along with the glam and grunge stuff.

It took Metal Hammer a lot longer to become a joke than the likes of Kerrang!.
30.04.2014 - 07:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by deadone on 30.04.2014 at 07:18

Too true.

The Australian version of Kerrang released ten or so years ago was dismal even for alternative rock.

I started reading Kerrang! in the late 80's, when I first started getting into hard rock/metal music. And back then, it was pretty good, as I could read about bands like Annihilator and Nuclear Assault, as well as the more usual mainstream fare. By the mid-90's, the mag had gone seriously downhill, and since the 2000's, it's totally unrecognizable from the mag I started reading in the late 80's. Since then, it's all about the likes of Paramore, and Fall Out Boy, so yep, even as an alternative rock mag, it pretty much sucks nowadays. But even as far back as the early 90's, I was buying imported mags which were much more metal orientated, because the likes of Kerrang! weren't cutting it for me, in terms of me getting my fix of metal news of the day.

The problem with that mag, is it's always based around the current musical trends of the time, and what's "fashionable". By the mid-90's, it was only concerned about what was "trendy". It started out as a good mag, but now it's just awful. Even Metal Hammer nowadays isn't quite as bad as Kerrang!, which is saying something!
30.04.2014 - 11:00
Rating: 9
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.04.2014 at 12:59

Written by Ace Frawley on 29.04.2014 at 09:42

"Coma" gets my vote for best GnR song, but "Civil War" is certainly up there with their very best stuff. It's a wonderful song.

I'd probably put Estranged ahead of Coma. Maybe.
Don't make me choose.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
30.04.2014 - 13:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by M C Vice on 30.04.2014 at 11:00
Don't make me choose.

Don't worry, I won't. Estranged is an amazing song, and definitely one of the all time classic hard rock epics.
30.04.2014 - 16:45
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by M C Vice on 30.04.2014 at 11:00

So would I. Not by a lot, but still.

Anyway, let's get real here, we all know the best GnR song is "Nightrain".
30.04.2014 - 18:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Azarath on 30.04.2014 at 16:45

Anyway, let's get real here, we all know the best GnR song is "Nightrain".

NO!!!!

The best GnR song is, as everyone with functioning ears and brains knows, 'Rocket Queen' and then 'Civil War'.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.04.2014 - 21:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I love how everyone has given a different answer to which song is their G n'R favourite. Just shows how many great songs were on the albums made with the classic line-up.
30.04.2014 - 21:45
musclassia
Staff
I agree with Rocket Queen being the best GnR album, but would probably put about half of Appetite before anything else they've done (My Michelle, Mr Brownstone, Nightrain, It's So Easy, Out Ta Get Me, and the classic tracks, although I've never been that enamored with Sweet Child Of Mine, probably due to oversaturation).

As far as the Illusions go, I think II is stronger than I, which has some great tracks like Coma, November Rain, Don't Cry and Dust n' Bones, but the rest of which I could live without for the most part. As far as this one goes, I love Estranged, but like pretty much every song from the first 12 except So Fine and to a degree Get in the Ring and Shotgun Blues. However, the alternate version of Don't Cry has some awful vocal lines compared to the original, and the last track is the worst ending to a good album outside of the untitled conclusion to Sap by Alice In Chains. Still, it's GnR, whose work I like/love for the most part past and present.
30.04.2014 - 23:09
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I loved and still do the Illusion package. It's mostly the long, epic songs that still send shivers down my spine. Coma is a fu*king masterpiece! Goes same for the epic Civil War and incredibly emotional Estranged, not to mention the classic November Rain. These songs are just pure brilliancy in sound. The res of the song still get my groove going, like Back Off Bitch, You Could Be Mine and Breakdown. I, however, totally prefer Don't Cry with alt. lyrics than the regular one.

I hold GnR close to my heart, as it was the band I grew up with. Still, Appetite holds the throne, because that album is just flawless, but then again, Illusions are to be heard and viewed by a different angle. With Appetite, Gnr was raw rock, while Illusions had more etherial and epic overtone.

I'd die for another mindblowing package like this from GnR.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
01.05.2014 - 09:38
Rating: 9
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.04.2014 at 18:18

The best GnR song is, as everyone with functioning ears and brains knows, 'Rocket Queen'

That's a good point.

Written by deadone on 01.05.2014 at 02:08

I still haven't listened to Chinese Democracy due to the fear of it being shit.

Well, I think it's great, but most people thinks it's shit (same as Judas Priest's Nostradamus and Gallhammer's Ill Innocence). The title track and Catcher In The Rye are the only songs on it that I think are duds. I thinks it's better than Lies and The Spaghetti Incident.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.05.2014 - 16:38
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.04.2014 at 18:18

NO!!!!

The best GnR song is, as everyone with functioning ears and brains knows, 'Rocket Queen' and then 'Civil War'.

NOOO!!!!!!!!

GnR's best song is clearly Mr Brownstone, followed by Civil War and Nightrain
02.05.2014 - 01:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by M C Vice on 01.05.2014 at 09:38
Well, I think it's great, but most people thinks it's shit (same as Judas Priest's Nostradamus and Gallhammer's Ill Innocence). The title track and Catcher In The Rye are the only songs on it that I think are duds. I thinks it's better than Lies and The Spaghetti Incident.

"Chinese Democracy" is looked down upon for 2 main reasons, I think. One, is that has the G n'R name on it, and two, that it took 14 years to complete. Taken on it's own merits, I actually think it's a pretty good album, although it's not as good as Appetite, or either of the Illusions. The main issue I have with it, is it's overlong, and a bit patchy. But the good songs on the album, are really good.
20.02.2015 - 15:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 30.04.2014 at 21:13

I love how everyone has given a different answer to which song is their G n'R favourite. Just shows how many great songs were on the albums made with the classic line-up.

whole album is great , its like one album whit one song and whole is great
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 12573 | This month: 38