02. White Skies
03. Fireseason
04. New Tears Eve
05. Herodisiac
06. Incantatrix
07. Sacrificial
08. A Greater Darkness

Additional info
Produced, mixed and mastered by Tue Madsen.
Drums recorded at Antfarm Studios, Aarhus, Denmark.
Alpha session June 2011; Omega session September 2011.
Pre-produced and arranged by Benny Richter at Inferno Studios, Olival Basto, Portugal. Summer 2009, Spring 2011.
Additional production and tracking by Pedro Paixão at Inferno Studios, Olival Basto, Portugal.

Art by Seth Siro Anton.
Band pictures by Paulo Moreira / Naked.
Hair and makeup by Ninja Chanel.
Band logo by Adriano Esreves / Burokratik.

"New Tears Eve" is dedicated to Peter Steele (Type O Negative).

Staff review by
Ivor
Rating:
N/A
Moonspell have tried to pull off an Opeth.

Read more ››
published 08.09.2012 | Comments (22)

Found in 40 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 6

Comments: 178   Visited by: 1680 users
09.05.2012 - 17:08
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 09.05.2012 at 03:07

... deciding what to spend their hard-earned coin on (or bandwidth and hard drive space on) ...i know many of you are students or live in out of the way places where cd's are harder to come by ... i think it a good thing if the opinions they get are closer to truth than just some dude who thinks EVERYTHING IS THE BEST SHIT EVER.

So you do feel us after all? maaan.
09.05.2012 - 17:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniell on 08.05.2012 at 09:47

"Wolfheart" sucks,

yet you rate t a 6 which means you deem it average
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.05.2012 - 18:36
Rating: 9
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
I just listened to these albums for the first time today (was waiting for my limited edition CD box ). What can I say? It's still early to judge (I need to listen to them some more), but some things are clear:
1) I like both albums;
2) Moonspell managed to record two albums that sound different from their previous works. Even though, not completely different;
3) Moonspell still never disappointed me up to this day.

UPDATE: After some more time shared with those albums I can say that I really enjoy them both. To be honest, I wasn't sure that the idea of dividing Moonspell's musical entity in two parts - more aggressive and more calm - but it turned out unexpectedly well. It sounds a bit fresh for my ears, yet it's the same good old band that made me fall in love with their music when I first listened to Wolfheart.

P.S. Peculiar fact - despite New Tears Eve being a tribute to late Peter Steele it reminds me more of Tiamat. Maybe it's the vocals in the refrain?
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
09.05.2012 - 18:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by bitethepain on 09.05.2012 at 14:47

I disagree that fanboys are a stigma. They keep the metal scene alive and exciting. That guy, the EVERYTHING IS THE BEST SHIT GUY, probably has a lot of fun. Why take away his joy? Realize that others won't like what you like, do your research carefully, and get excited for the bands you really do like.

you kinda missed the point and are horribly overinflating the value of "fan bois" while discounting more rational fans... just because someone talks a band up on the net doesn't meant they support them in a direct way, and just because someone talks shit about some bands doesn't mean they don't "keep the scene alive". check opinionated, pedantic Marcel's collection, for example. (he actually owns physical copies of these, not just 1's and 0's on a hard drive.)

but enough off topicness.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.05.2012 - 22:15
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2012 at 17:13

"Wolfheart" sucks,

When a band is overrated to the point of "best band ever" saying it's average means it sucks.
09.05.2012 - 22:16
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Guest on 09.05.2012 at 22:15

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2012 at 17:13

"Wolfheart" sucks,

When a band is overrated to the point of "best band ever" saying it's average means it sucks.

'zackly!
10.05.2012 - 23:58
pisymbol
In other words:

"While I agree the rating system is flawed by Troy Killjoy and I take it with a grain of salt when deciding on purchases, I do think the constant bashing of "blind fanboys" goes against everything that is Troy Killjoy. Troy Killjoy is passionate. Troy Killjoy is even more emotional by its fans. The Troy Killjoy genre stays alive by its obsessive fans. What is the harm in that? The fact that Troy Killjoy has such devoted fans, people who feel so emotionally tied to the Troy Killjoy, proves that Troy Killjoy is alive. The "blind fannoys" read every review, purchase every album, shirt, etc. and help keep Troy Killjoy alive. Without the "blind fanboys", Troy Killjoy would falter and couldn't afford reviewing music and touring. Let the fanboys get excited about their Troy Killjoy let them give whatever rating they want. They don't need to be harassed and asked why they gave such a rating. The Troy Killjoy affects the soul and for them it has touched them deeply. Troy Killjoy is already a sub genre of review that is read to only by the minority. Keep it alive by embracing your "fanboyism!"

See what I did....even though I agree with your sentiments...doesn't add anything other than fangirls are fangirls...etc.

I am positive Troy would agree with me....
11.05.2012 - 00:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by pisymbol on 10.05.2012 at 23:58

I disagree with everything because I'm a Killjoy.

But I don't not agree with you.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.05.2012 - 04:56
pisymbol
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.05.2012 at 00:20

Written by pisymbol on 10.05.2012 at 23:58

I disagree with everything because I'm a Killjoy.

But I don't not agree with you.

Clearly.
11.05.2012 - 20:16
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by Guest on 09.05.2012 at 22:15

If you don't like the album, it doesn't mean that it sucks. It always saddens me when I see so many haters in metal community.
My policy is either not to talk about the albums or bands I don't like or put some arguments why I don't like them rather than saying such ambiguous things as "it sucks" or "it's shit".
----
11.05.2012 - 20:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by NocturnalStalker on 11.05.2012 at 20:16
If you don't like the album, it doesn't mean that it sucks. It always saddens me when I see so many haters in metal community.
My policy is either not to talk about the albums or bands I don't like or put some arguments why I don't like them rather than saying such ambiguous things as "it sucks" or "it's shit".

You took his comment out of context. He was explaining Daniel's reasoning for his rating.

Marcel argued a 6 is for something average, not for something that sucks. Fredd explained the 6 represents a "this sucks" kind of feeling because comparatively it's much worse than the rest of the band's discography.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.05.2012 - 20:33
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.05.2012 at 20:24

You took his comment out of context. He was explaining Daniel's reasoning for his rating.

Marcel argued a 6 is for something average, not for something that sucks. Fredd explained the 6 represents a "this sucks" kind of feeling because comparatively it's much worse than the rest of the band's discography.

My bad. I see now that my post should've been aimed at Daniell.
And I undestand what Fredd meant but I still see the phrase "a band is overrated to the point of "best band ever" as just putting a band down.
----
11.05.2012 - 20:59
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by NocturnalStalker on 11.05.2012 at 20:16

I do like the album, actually. I said what you've quoted in an unspecific context. Please read it again.
11.05.2012 - 21:06
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by NocturnalStalker on 11.05.2012 at 20:33

the phrase "a band is overrated to the point of "best band ever" as just putting a band down.

true, but that's completely subjective and only represents an individual's opinion of any given band. which is his/her right.
12.05.2012 - 06:08
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by Guest on 11.05.2012 at 20:59

I do like the album, actually. I said what you've quoted in an unspecific context. Please read it again.

Excuse me but when Daniell wrote that "Wolfheart" sucks, and "Irreligious" is boring", you replied that you "agree wholeheartedly". How can it mean that you actually like the album? I'm lost.

Written by Guest on 11.05.2012 at 21:06

true, but that's completely subjective and only represents an individual's opinion of any given band. which is his/her right.

I don't mean to say that you (or any other person) shouldn't voice your personal opinion. What I don't like is when people state their opinions without giving a reasoning.
----
12.05.2012 - 11:16
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by NocturnalStalker on 12.05.2012 at 06:08

Excuse me but when Daniell wrote that "Wolfheart" sucks, and "Irreligious" is boring", you replied that you "agree wholeheartedly". How can it mean that you actually like the album? I'm lost.

I like alpha noir, dislike wolfheart and irreligious. I find them boring and hollow. that's my reasoning.
13.05.2012 - 01:29
VPeter
Safe. that is how I will describe both albums. It all sounds familiar, there are some moments of cool but it never breaks it boundaries. Omega White sounds a lot more creative and has more energy than Alpha Noir. Omega white also doesn't really break any boundaries however, it is a fun album but just that. All in all a decent release but nothing really ground breaking.

I also don't really understand why they decide to make a video/single for Lickanthrope, it is one of the worst songs of the album
13.05.2012 - 09:40
Written by VPeter on 13.05.2012 at 01:29

I also don't really understand why they decide to make a video/single for Lickanthrope, it is one of the worst songs of the album

agreed, weak song. no riffs at all. average lyrics. and now they've done a video for white skies, again one of the weaker songs. the video is pathetic, by the way.
13.05.2012 - 13:31
Rating: 8
X-FrEaK
One thing i noticed yesterday at Alpha Noir's presentation show in Portugal, is that, all the songs in Alpha Noir/Omega White have a similar and basic structure. The solos are almost always in the same part of the song. And when they played Wolfheart/Irreligious songs was funny to see how they had MUCH more complex structures 20 years ago
----
14.05.2012 - 21:21
VPeter
Written by The Melting Snow on 13.05.2012 at 09:40

Written by VPeter on 13.05.2012 at 01:29

agreed, weak song. no riffs at all. average lyrics. and now they've done a video for white skies, again one of the weaker songs. the video is pathetic, by the way.

It is no surprise that the video is crap as most Moonspell videos are really bad, a vast majority of Metal videos are bad actually.
16.05.2012 - 04:20
pisymbol
Written by Slayer666 on 09.05.2012 at 10:29

Written by *!* on 09.05.2012 at 00:23

After a couple of listens i think that Omiga White is FAR better than Alpha Noir, much more creative and varied, the music just flows while on Alpha most of the time it seems forced and lacking of ideas, like they just made it to please the fans of their more extreme side, but for me it felt like most of the songs on it are fillers. I couldn't help but to think that if they kept Omiga White as it is while adding touches of "Alpha" to the songs it would've been a masterpiece.

100% agreed.

Alpha Noir is so bland, flat and uninspired that it makes me die a little bit inside every time I force myself to listen to it again, hoping that "it will grow on me after this time". It's the first genuinely bad piece of music Moonspell have ever released. "Lyckantrope" and "Em Nome De Medo" are the only two semi-interesting tracks, and only if you compare them to the others. A massive disappointment. After 4 years, you'd think they could release something that sounds like it actually took 4 years, not 4 months, to write.

Omega White, although not brilliant in any way, towers above the uncreative turd on CD 1. While most tracks are simply OK, "New Tears Eve", "Incantantrix" and "A Greater Darkness" are the most beautifully soothing songs Moonspell have done since Sin/Pecado. I'm pretty sure I hear a bit of Type O Negative in it, too.

Overall, quite a disappointment.

100% disagree. Alpha Noir though vocally not varied is just a better side than Omega White in every way; the riffs are catchy, the lyrics are cheesy, breakdowns abound. Omega White is a lot of random ideas that just don't really gel for me (case in point, White Skies....eek!).

At least we agree that there is definitely some Type O here...
17.05.2012 - 18:22
Moonspell live is Awesome!
22.05.2012 - 01:45
MetalicIron
Fernando Ribeiro just closed his facebook account due to some portuguese trolls after treating them! Lmao!
Troll Account: http://www.facebook.com/FernandoLoleiro
/m\ Stay Sic /m\
----
/m\ METAL /m\
23.05.2012 - 18:32
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by MetalicIron on 22.05.2012 at 01:45

Fernando Ribeiro just closed his facebook account due to some portuguese trolls after treating them! Lmao!
Troll Account: http://www.facebook.com/FernandoLoleiro
/m\ Stay Sic /m\

You're still here? I thought we scared you away.
25.05.2012 - 21:51
Yavanna
Well, I listened to all the songs, some of them are good indeed, but Incantatrix just make me think " WTF ?" it's horrible
I particulary like Sacrificial
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
27.05.2012 - 10:13
Rating: 7
Jeeers
It's very strange this time - the more I listen to this album, the less I like it.
Shallow.
01.06.2012 - 03:52
neiluria
Very good album, special Mention : alpha noir
01.06.2012 - 04:00
Rating: 10
Korah
White Omega is less better than Alpha Noir but still good!
----
Don't cry for my English
05.06.2012 - 07:53
Waiting for someone to review this... how come it's taking so long?
05.06.2012 - 22:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by The Melting Snow on 01.05.2012 at 17:02

Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.05.2012 at 16:47

Written by The Melting Snow on 01.05.2012 at 13:12
i was talking about the people who give albums a rating of 1,2,3 or 4. which totally doesnt make sense.

I gave it a 5, and that was being generous. You don't think it makes sense that people think this album is anywhere from "bad" to just a piece of shit?

No, it doesn't make sense. I wonder why you even felt the need of rating the album if you didnt like it at all.

Sorry to quote this old post, but come on, are you serious? If people only vote for what they like every album in the world would be a 10.

So that means that Lulu would have a 10, that Illud would have a 10, that even my album would have a 10, see how ridiculous this is?
People should be able to vote on whatever, provided they've actually heard the entire album (this is why I won't vote).
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 44572 | This month: 68