04. Battle Against Time
05. Death And The Healing
06. Starchild
07. Beautiful Death
08. Sadness And Hate
09. Winter Madness [demo] [Japanese bonus]
10. Beyond The Dark Sun [demo] [Japanese bonus]
11. Death And The Healing [demo] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [Live At Summer Breeze 2005 DVD] [2006 Special Tour Edition re-release bonus]
01. Beyond The Dark Sun
02. Battle Against Time
03. Sleeping Stars
04. Beautiful Death
05. Death And The Healing
06. Winter Madness

The best debut album of 2004
Top 20 albums of 2004: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 28

Additional info
Drums recorded at Tico Tico Studios in January 2004 by Ahti Kortelainen.
Everything else recorded at Sundi Coop Studios in April by Tuomo Valtonen.
Mixed at Sonic Pump Studios in May by Nino Laurenne.
Mastered at Finnvox Studios in May by Mika Jussila.

Produced by Jari Mäenpää.
All music and lyrics written by Jari Mäenpää.

Tracks 1, 2 and 5 are re-recordings of the tracks with the same names from the afore mentioned Winter Madness demo.

Jari Mäenpää had been working on the songs for this album for a long time. The songs were written in/between:
1. Beyond the Dark Sun (1998)
2. Winter Madness (2002)
3. Sleeping Stars (1995-2003)
4. Battle Against Time (2002-2003)
5. Death and the Healing (1996)
6. Starchild (2000-2003)
7. Beautiful Death (2003)
8. Sadness and Hate (1996)

Guest review by
Hyvaarin
Rating:
Those readers who are familiar with the history of folk/power-metallers Ensiferum will doubtless be familiar with the history of Wintersun (i.e. that after walking out on Ensiferum, main man Jari Maënpäa formed the latter as a solo project). Speculation was rife in melodic metal circles - expectations for 'Wintersun' were largely high, though some suspected that Wintersun would be little more than Ensiferum Pt.II. In spite of the various similarities between this release and those of Maënpäa's former band (and make no mistake- they do exist), 'Wintersun' is very much an exceptional album, and will be reviewed as such.

Read more ››
published 16.06.2006 | Comments (80)

Guest review by
Black_Handed
Rating:
Ok, just to make it clear right at the beginning, I absolutely love/adore/worship (choose preferred term) this album. And I'm not alone, just check the number of fans in "Featured bands" section. So reviewing this album comes with great responsibility.
Jari Mäenpää started as a part of Ensiferum. Great black folk metal band if you'd ask me. So why did he leave? He came up with some interesting not-so-Ensiferum-like ideas. So he started his own project with drummer Kai Hahto of Rotten Sound grinders. But where are the others? Where are synth, bass, second guitar players we can hear in there? Well by the time Wintersun was recorded Jari Mäenpää did everything except drums. Yes, everything except drums. Later on Jukka Koskinken of Norther and Teemu Mäntysaari joined to finish the lineup.

Read more ››
published 07.07.2006 | Comments (26)

Guest review by
Talvi
Rating:
Wintersun is the band Jari Mäenpää started after leaving Ensiferum. Some people dispise this band because they compare it to Ensiferum and say it's worse. Big mistake. This probably isn't as bombastic and catchy as Ensiferum, of course, but, what is Wintersun?

I've seen them labelled as Melodic Death Metal, as well as Extreme Power Metal. The first thing that comes to my mind though, is Children Of Bodom. But Children Of Bodom they are not. They play somewhat epic, almost progressive Melodic Death/Black Metal with Folk influences. You may see it as less Folk-like, as only some riffs have Folk qualities, but more aggressive and complex Ensiferum. It's far more than just that however.

Read more ››
published 29.12.2006 | Comments (6)

Guest review by
RhaegarTargaryen
Rating:
When in 2004 Jari Mäenpää left Ensiferum, few people could imagine what impact that would leave on the metal community. Ensiferum got on pretty we'll, but what Jari did with his new band Wintersun was something quite unexpected. There are only few albums that deserve this kind of praise and hype, but I think this one is one of them.

Read more ››
published 21.12.2007 | Comments (29)

Guest review by
Andro Maximus
Rating:
A most beautiful melancholic album cover, fast sweeping guitar solos, some fantastic melodies, and an epic, if slightly overproduced soundscape - Wintersun's debut album is clearly the result of a lot of passion and hard work and is obviously intended to be a monumental album. It is a shame then, that with so much going for it, Wintersun falls short of being the masterpiece that it is intended to be.

Read more ››
published 27.07.2014 | Comments (11)

Found in 143 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 143   Visited by: 3285 users
01.10.2010 - 10:36
Rating: 10
Gurth Bennas
It's one of the best albums I've listened! amazing!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
06.11.2010 - 20:42
LEOdrake
Written by Got Mayhem? on 29.04.2010 at 23:05

Yea...it just isn't that good at all.It sounds like Jari just tried to fit at many possible genres into this thing as possible. It's just all over the place musically.

You know what? Fuck you , if there were less genres you would have bitched about it not being diverse.

At this point your not being objective ,you're looking for something to whine about just because no one is blindly kissing ass at whatever band you're in to.

I am objective , I hated Sadness and Hate ,and I never thought it was a perfect album,but you know what it is?...Fucking awesome.For a debut its amazing,for an album created almost single-handedly by Jari Maenpaa its great .
Is it the second coming? No ,but its a damn good experience reeking of majesty for the majority of the tracks

Overrated? Fuck you,most metalheads haven't even heard of it. Most of you people are trying to find a fault to the album and the band.There are faults don't get me wrong ,but you're heading into a territory of sadism ,insulting a great band just to fuel your own sick need to lower things because of your own inferiority.Again this only applies to some of you,I'm not saying those who say "It was agreat effort,but I never managed to get into it" or something along those lines, but those who blindly say "Overrated Overhyped musical shit".
I spit on you.

Everything in perspective ,Wintersun is a great band ,with a great debut,with one or two lacklustre tracks and an annoying need for perfection that transcends Time

See what I did there
07.11.2010 - 02:36
Rating: 6
Got Mayhem?
Written by LEOdrake on 06.11.2010 at 20:42

Written by Got Mayhem? on 29.04.2010 at 23:05

Yea...it just isn't that good at all.It sounds like Jari just tried to fit at many possible genres into this thing as possible. It's just all over the place musically.

You know what? Fuck you , if there were less genres you would have bitched about it not being diverse.

At this point your not being objective ,you're looking for something to whine about just because no one is blindly kissing ass at whatever band you're in to.

I am objective , I hated Sadness and Hate ,and I never thought it was a perfect album,but you know what it is?...Fucking awesome.For a debut its amazing,for an album created almost single-handedly by Jari Maenpaa its great .
Is it the second coming? No ,but its a damn good experience reeking of majesty for the majority of the tracks

Overrated? Fuck you,most metalheads haven't even heard of it. Most of you people are trying to find a fault to the album and the band.There are faults don't get me wrong ,but you're heading into a territory of sadism ,insulting a great band just to fuel your own sick need to lower things because of your own inferiority.Again this only applies to some of you,I'm not saying those who say "It was agreat effort,but I never managed to get into it" or something along those lines, but those who blindly say "Overrated Overhyped musical shit".
I spit on you.

Everything in perspective ,Wintersun is a great band ,with a great debut,with one or two lacklustre tracks and an annoying need for perfection that transcends Time

See what I did there

Here you go

People have their own opinions. Get over it.
----
07.11.2010 - 10:29
vezzy
Stallmanite
Most metalheads haven't heard of it?

On the other hand, it's overhyped everywhere.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.11.2010 - 12:09
LEOdrake
Written by Got Mayhem? on 07.11.2010 at 02:36

Here you go

Are we really resorting to the own opinions argument
07.11.2010 - 15:42
Rating: 6
Got Mayhem?
Written by LEOdrake on 07.11.2010 at 12:09

Written by Got Mayhem? on 07.11.2010 at 02:36

Here you go

Are we really resorting to the own opinions argument

Argument? It's a fact. I dont like it. Some people do. I'm not going around telling them they're wrong though, because that's their opinion. I can offer evidence to support my own ideas about the album but that's just about it. Doing anything more is taking a trip into Asshat territory, which you seem to be very well traveled in.

I can tell you'll last a very long time here. And by that I mean, It's my opinion that you will likely piss off the wrong person in the near future.
----
07.11.2010 - 23:30
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
The artwork is better than the album itself. But it is good, it's just that one song on it almost puts the other songs to shame - Death and the healing. That song alone makes it an album worth having, but it's too damn awesome for the album's own good and after having listened to the album over a dozen times, it's still the only song that keeps ringing in my head.
08.11.2010 - 14:33
c0ok1e
Sounds good but the last track "Sadness and Hate" is the funniest song in metal history.. everytime i listen to that track when he start growling a few seconds into the song it sounded like he farted..
27.11.2010 - 02:33
SATANSCHAMBER666
Account deleted
Brilliant album loved it
17.12.2010 - 15:23
Sulac
I'm not insulting the album, here, but I'm thinking 10 ratings are being slung around a little too carefreely. 10 is for the most brilliant crap of metal history, not a "great album, loved it." Its not bad at all, though. I'm probably gonna buy it soon.
29.12.2010 - 16:46
Rating: 9
Cryzpin
Sour to see so many "overrated" claims from headbangers and even stuff.
If you think twice of the word, it only says "my impression is superior to yours", how pathetic, without content, just shouting "me, me, look at me".
Can't you just say "i don't like it, because..." subjectively, "it's polarizing" objectively, or something more suited for discussion and less suited for flame?
Paradoxically, all those using "overrated" have impression of themselves quite overrated :-).
29.12.2010 - 16:53
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Cryzpin on 29.12.2010 at 16:46

Sour to see so many "overrated" claims from headbangers and even stuff.
If you think twice of the word, it only says "my impression is superior to yours", how pathetic, without content, just shouting "me, me, look at me".
Can't you just say "i don't like it, because..." subjectively, "it's polarizing" objectively, or something more suited for discussion and less suited for flame?
Paradoxically, all those using "overrated" have impression of themselves quite overrated :-).

No flaming in saying it's overrated.

(because it is)
----
29.12.2010 - 17:35
Cryzpin
Written by vezzy on 29.12.2010 at 16:53

(because it is) [overrated]

Well, you said that twice already, any argument for it? Or it's just "i don't like it so all who does knows shit" thing?
29.12.2010 - 18:22
vezzy
Stallmanite
It's a pretty average album, nothing has truly impressed me about it and it has that somewhat laughable cheery keyboard backup. Very well produced (in fact, I'd say overproduced), but that isn't a deciding factor in quality at the end of the day, unless you recorded it by plugging a Walkman into a speaker.

Basically an overproduced, sugar sweet album that people are somehow wooed into by its EPIC MAJESTIC atmosphere. Lots of solos and basic riffs to go with it.

also:

Fact:
How an album is received by the general public doesn't reflect its quality.

Bullshit:
Homeopathy.
----
30.12.2010 - 00:22
RavenKing
Written by vezzy on 29.12.2010 at 18:22

Fact:
How an album is received by the general public doesn't reflect its quality.

True.

P.S. This average album is quite overrated.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
30.12.2010 - 01:31
Wyrd
Great album from a great band. hope to hear more when the get done the long awaited follow up. Though, the term "Extreme Power Metal" is a little odd.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
02.02.2011 - 00:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I don't really see how people need 4 reviews saying basically the same thing regarding an album.

02.02.2011 - 22:21
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 02.02.2011 at 00:42

I don't really see how people need 4 reviews saying basically the same thing regarding an album.

I concur...maybe someone should actually be reviewing the mindblowing albums of 2010. Mainly, Shining [NOR]'s Blackjazz.
02.02.2011 - 23:23
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Cryzpin on 29.12.2010 at 17:35

Written by vezzy on 29.12.2010 at 16:53

(because it is) [overrated]

Well, you said that twice already, any argument for it? Or it's just "i don't like it so all who does knows shit" thing?

It's hard not to get this attitude when people worship it as some kind of work of genius when it's a pretty basic power metal album with some harsh vocals and blast beats thrown in.

Also, your saying it's not overrated is no more valid than us who say it is overrated.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.02.2011 - 10:36
Cryzpin
Quote:
Quote:

It's hard not to get this attitude when people worship it as some kind of work of genius when it's a pretty basic power metal album with some harsh vocals and blast beats thrown in.

Also, your saying it's not overrated is no more valid than us who say it is overrated.

I agree the album is pretty simple and doesn't bring much new, but complexity and progressiveness are not neccesary for emotional resonance to arise, which is imo the greatest objective of music. And this one somehow resonates with so many people, as always not with everyone, but still it's remarkable.

Ad (not)under/overrating, i didn't state either. I just claimed such stances to be quite egocentric and unconstructive, no offense.
03.02.2011 - 14:27
RavenKing
Written by Doc G. on 02.02.2011 at 23:23

it's a pretty basic power metal album with some harsh vocals and blast beats thrown in.

I would describe it exactly in these terms.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
09.02.2011 - 11:46
rasto
Best album all time!!!!!!!!!:metal:
17.02.2011 - 06:10
PowerThrash
My personal favorite band/album! Highly recommend it!:banger2:
19.02.2011 - 01:20
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
This album gets way more hype than it deserves IMO. I've listened to it a bunch of times and I still don't get why everyone seems to be insane about it. It's pretty good, but it's far from being anything spectacular.
23.02.2011 - 07:44
PowerThrash
It was definitely a grower for me, but the more I listened the more I started to love it. The speed of "Beyond the Dark Sun", "Winter Madness", "Starchild", and "Battle Against Time". And the pure epic power of "Beautiful Death" and "Sadness and Hate". "Death and the Healing" has one of the most beautiful solos I've ever heard, and I love the "Winter Madness" solo. The only track I wasn't crazy about was "Sleeping Stars", but it's still a decent one and doesn't bring the album down as a whole.
12.04.2011 - 02:46
Rating: 7
@gent_-_orange
Written by Bloody Rain on 19.02.2011 at 01:20

This album gets way more hype than it deserves IMO. I've listened to it a bunch of times and I still don't get why everyone seems to be insane about it. It's pretty good, but it's far from being anything spectacular.

This
12.04.2011 - 03:39
MetalSpider
Written by Bloody Rain on 19.02.2011 at 01:20

Well for me...when this album first came out, I was still in my early stages of discovering metal outside of In Flames, COB and Soilwork (and stuff like Metallica, Megadeth and Iron Maiden). So this was one of the first albums of its kind that I listened to, and personally it blew me away.

If I had heard this album for the first time, now...then perhaps my opinion would have been slightly different. I still would have enjoyed it no doubt though.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
02.05.2011 - 18:57
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
I didnt really like this album at first but now I listen to it at least once a week. I hate how lame they are being about the next album though ...
16.05.2011 - 05:46
Fallen
Quote:
Well for me...when this album first came out, I was still in my early stages of discovering metal outside of In Flames, COB and Soilwork (and stuff like Metallica, Megadeth and Iron Maiden). So this was one of the first albums of its kind that I listened to, and personally it blew me away.

If I had heard this album for the first time, now...then perhaps my opinion would have been slightly different. I still would have enjoyed it no doubt though.

How the times have changed eh? When I was first getting into metal I considered this album and stuff like COB and Norther to be Melodic Death Metal. I still do in all reality, none of this extreme power metal crap. That whole fiasco probably explains my personal bias against Newer Melodic Death Metal bands simply because it all sounds like the bands I listened to when I first started getting into metal. Personally I place this album at like an 8.2-8.4 and not the 9 it currently holds. Don't get me wrong its a good album but its not "Fantastic" and doesn't exactly stand out. Like you listening to it now compared to when I was first getting into metal the opinion of it is slightly lower.
09.06.2011 - 00:48
Damshak
---Top 10 ''Wintersun''---
1-.Winter Madness
2-.Beyond The Dark Sun
3-.Battle Against Time
4-.Starchild
5-.Death And The Healing
6-.Beautiful Death
7-.Sleeping Stars
8-.Time