Metal Storm logo
Best Female fronted band of metal

Original post

Posted by ToMegaTherion, 16.02.2010 - 00:29
Ok Im just curious to see what people have to say. On this because there is an ever increasing number of them and quite a few very average ones out there but which are your favorites (Why?), and what are some bands you might recommend.

Not this is a list that could get pretty long if I let it so we will try to keep it brief.

Please don't just come into this thread and just say something like "Nightwish!!!!!!!!!!!!". Give us a reason for why you have made this choice.
No point in a poll for this because there will be so many different choices.

Ok here are some favorites of mine
Epica (These guys are really an awesome band. Where or not they are female fronted they are a band you could thouroughly enjoy without the singing, but Simone Simons is an outstand singer that seems to be getting better with age.)

The Gathering (I strongly prefer these guys where they were fronted by Anneke van Giersbergen, but whatever, these guys have made some outstanding albums that hold up against the best of all time, plus Anneke is a great singer.)

Edenbridge (Its hard to believe but this was the first female fronted band I ever heard, and much to my suprise I found them quite enjoyable Sabine has a rather different voice, but she really improved on the later Edenbridge albums as she got more experience. But the main reason I really like these guys is for Lanvall's guiter work, it is truely outstanding, he is a rather underrated guitarest.)

Leaves Eyes (Liv Kristien has an unbelieveable voice, plus the band makes really good music to go with it. The lyrics are often pretty bizarre but nevertheless a band well worth a mention.)
24.03.2011 - 07:36
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 24.03.2011 at 06:58

Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 06:33

Written by Guest on 24.03.2011 at 05:31

Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 05:28

Written by Guest on 24.03.2011 at 04:06

Fools, none of you have mentioned what is indispuabley the gratest female fronted metal band evah- Salome. Their vocalist, Kat, can hit notes lower than a lot of male vocalists-and it's a sludge/doom band, not a flowery sympho/goth/whatever other flowery metal style band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77kOyA-50y8&feature=related

BAD lol. I can do that too if I drink a glass or 2 of milk. And "Flowery" tells me you base your musical tastes on image.

I wasn't using flowery as an insult. I like Epica and Rhapsody, both of which are very flowery. Soft would have been a better term I suppose. However, it's not to common to hear a female in an extreme metal band. Furthermore, how does milk alter ones vocals?

REally? Alright, mucus collected in the throat severally alters ones voice because drops of mucus attach to the voice box. I can sing along to Suffocation, etc etc for about 10 minutes after drinking a full glass of chocolate milk although I am female. It's fun to do but doesn't take a single drop of effort.

Hmm, you learn something new everyday. Well, even if the vocalist apparently has no skill, I still like the band

Hey I have no issue with that, it's all about being able to enjoy it, and we all enjoy different sounds for different reasons!
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
28.03.2011 - 15:43
Night Sight
Written by glasgow_smile on 19.06.2010 at 12:14

Arch Enemy. Angela will always be a revolutionary female vocalist to me.

agreed
the best female vocal and the best female fronted band
i think draconian is great female fronted band too.
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
29.03.2011 - 00:17
Yasmine
Written by Night Sight on 28.03.2011 at 15:43

agreed
the best female vocal and the best female fronted band
i think draconian is great female fronted band too.

I don't see how a harsh vocalist can possibly be better than a real singer IE range, Vibrato, timbre, projection, etc. Especially when it comes to women.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
20.05.2011 - 17:00
Razorback

I agree.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
21.05.2011 - 17:37
Metal_4Ever
Stream of passion, Marcela Bovio ..
21.05.2011 - 18:06
Vikcen
Metálico
21.05.2011 - 23:21
Yasmine
Written by Metal_4Ever on 21.05.2011 at 17:37

Any reason? Shes monotone in many songs, and doesnt have much if any vibrato, etc etc

I'm guessing you like the way she looks.....just guessing......

Elisa and Sara sounds a lot like their male conterparts instead of classically trained women, which is all good. Elisa has fronted some good bands, I dig her but interesting choice imo.
----
22.05.2011 - 20:36
Metal_4Ever
Written by Yasmine on 21.05.2011 at 23:21

Written by Metal_4Ever on 21.05.2011 at 17:37

Any reason? Shes monotone in many songs, and doesnt have much if any vibrato, etc etc

I'm guessing you like the way she looks.....just guessing......

Elisa and Sara sounds a lot like their male conterparts instead of classically trained women, which is all good. Elisa has fronted some good bands, I dig her but interesting choice imo.

Yes for her look "and" her voice, she has a nice voice....
She did not stand out yet, they has only two albums... I think their new album (Darker Days) will be good
25.05.2011 - 11:15
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Yasmine on 29.03.2011 at 00:17

I don't see how a harsh vocalist can possibly be better than a real singer IE range, Vibrato, timbre, projection, etc. Especially when it comes to women.

Hmm, i know what your saying, but i don't think you can say a different vocal style is 'better' than another in terms of complexity. I think there is a completely different skill involved with harsh vocals that uses a lot more physical technique. Clean vocals are more complex to achieve, i agree. I think most people could growl (albeit, with a lot of practice), but not everyone can sing operatically for example. My point after that ramble was that i think many people don't view it like that. If it sounds good it sounds good, a good vocalist can be anyone who fits the music regardless of skill or technique.
27.05.2011 - 22:52
Sammol
It's possible that Angela do clean vocals too.
28.05.2011 - 08:11
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
My personal favourite female fronted band is Edenbridge. They may not be revolutionary by any means, but they definitely have their own sound. I highly recommend them. All their albums are extremely good, with maybe only Aphelion and MyEarthDream being slightly weaker. Even those albums are good though. Their music can be quite complex at times snd they sure know how to create a calming atmosphere.
30.05.2011 - 16:45
arwestromen
It's probably the first metals band with a female singer that I heard, Nightwish with Tarja....I was like 12 and the song was Wishmaster....no one have ever toped that since...at least not for me
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
30.05.2011 - 22:28
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
They are not so much a metal band but they have metal elements. Julie from Made out of Babies. Some of her side projects are amazing.
23.09.2011 - 16:19
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Sinergy. Specifically the mostly Finnish lineup on their 2nd and 3rd albums.
Alexi Laiho and Roope Latvala on guitars and Marco Heitala on bass is arguably one of the best string section Finnish metal has produced. Heitala occasionaly sang, not ofen enough though, and Laiho sang on one song (just one, fortunately).
And Kimberly Goss is a great singer. Her voice is versitile enough to handle both heavy and aggressive metal and soft ballads.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
07.10.2011 - 00:37
tuthitamlut
Warlock
07.10.2011 - 20:23
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
I would have to say Lita Ford.
07.10.2011 - 21:05
Druss
Benedictum, fronted by Veronica Freeman. I could listen to their cover of ''Heaven And Hell'' 100 times in a row and still be mezmerised by the strength in her voice.
23.11.2011 - 04:21
Evil Chip
Anneke Van Giersbergen, The Gathering.
29.11.2011 - 23:49
ToMegaTherion
There are three female vocalist who I hold in the highest regard for their work whatever band they happen to be in. Marcella Bovia (Stream of Passion, Eflonia, guest of Ayreon), she has a great voice and is an excellent song writer and lyricist to go with that, she is not just a voice, but a great contributor to any project she takes part in. Simone Simons (Epica, guest of Kamelot, Primal Fear and a number of others) Simone is the complete package as well, a beautiful voice, a useful song writer and lyricist, and a lovely person to have around any band. Anneke van Giersbergen (ex-The Gathering, solo project (cant remeber what she called it), guest of Within Temptation, Ayreon and plenty of other projects) Anneke adds so much to any project she is involved in, not just her singing, she also writes music and lyrics and is a brilliant live performer, this is particularly where she excells she is so passionate and energetic about what she does on stage and is amazing to watch.
29.11.2011 - 23:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Landmine Marathon. Because Grace Perry is perfect.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.11.2011 - 23:57
ToMegaTherion
Written by Dark Cornatus on 25.05.2011 at 11:15

Written by Yasmine on 29.03.2011 at 00:17

Hmm, i know what your saying, but i don't think you can say a different vocal style is 'better' than another in terms of complexity. I think there is a completely different skill involved with harsh vocals that uses a lot more physical technique. Clean vocals are more complex to achieve, i agree. I think most people could growl (albeit, with a lot of practice), but not everyone can sing operatically for example. My point after that ramble was that i think many people don't view it like that. If it sounds good it sounds good, a good vocalist can be anyone who fits the music regardless of skill or technique.

Agreed, for me it is more to do with their involvement in the band, writing, performance, style ect.
Angela Gassow is a good vocalist in all these ways. As far as the technical side of singing is concerned when it come to vocalists, that is just one aspect of what is required in a metal band. A singer can be as technically brilliant as anyone, and still not suit a metal band. Tim 'Ripper' Owens i think is a good example of this, he is an amazing singer technically, but my major critisism is that he does not seem to have the passion of involvement in many of the Bands I have seem him in.
30.11.2011 - 04:41
NLthrasher
Epica would be my choice...
03.12.2011 - 03:03
MetalicIron
Amy Lee, she is so hot!
----
/m\ METAL /m\
09.12.2011 - 14:04
edgethrasherx
Angela from Arch Enemy. Enough said
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
09.12.2011 - 16:14
Metal_4Ever
What about Sharon Den Adel?
09.12.2011 - 19:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by edgethrasherx on 09.12.2011 at 14:04
Angela from Arch Enemy. Enough said

Arch Enemy as the best female-fronted band? They were only good when they had a male vocalist.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.12.2011 - 20:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.12.2011 at 19:58
They were only good when they had a male vocalist.

I don't know why people keep perpetuating that Angela-era Arch Enemy is worthless. Really far from the case, seems like a knee-jerk reaction to me. First two, maybe three albums are extremely listenable, very good in fact (certainly Wages of Sin). You can't like Amon Amarth and shit over Arch Enemy ;]

The first Liiva album was nothing more than a bunch of sugary harmonies amidst some clunky, roughly conceived death metal riffs and Stigmata wasn't much better really (for me the least memorable of all Arch Enemy records). I'd take The first two Gossow albums over the first two Liiva ones.
09.12.2011 - 21:20
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I agree with Joe. Arch Enemy doesn't suck because Angela is there, they have at least two great albums with her, Wages and Doomsday. Anthems was also good but not as much, as I see it. The shit hit the fan with Khaos and partly with Rise, but the band is getting stuck. So, I don't think it was automatic that with Angela they just got worse.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.12.2011 - 21:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Wages Of Sin is a great album but the only obe with Angela I truly enjoy. And tbh the Liiva era is immensely overrated by all the Angela haters.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.12.2011 - 21:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I think we can all agree that Rise of the Tyrant should indeed been have called Fall of the Tyrant ;]