Metal Storm logo
Australian Metal

Original post

Posted by Xtreme Jax, 17.05.2006 - 16:57
What do you think about the Australian metal scene?

Personally i really like the bands that this country are putting out, well i am Australian so that might have something to do with it lol. But seriously i do think that we have some really good metal bands, heres a list of my favourites:
Psycroptic (hometown heros and my favourite band), The Berzerker, The Furor, Astriaal, Born Headless, Corpse Carving, Cranial Devourment, Intense Hammer Rage, M.S.I, Fuck... I'm Dead, Gospel of the Horns, Pathogen, Black Majesty, Virgin Black. Theres just some from the top of my head, but theres heaps more out there.
20.05.2006 - 21:22
Alouqua
Account deleted
I only know (really know) one Australian Metal Band and is call Virgin Black. I love this band! they have a unique sound, very dark but powerful, with an impressive female guitar player: Samantha Escarbe! Even if their music is soo hard to find here (almost impossible) I have to say that is one of my fav. bands in the whole world and now I'm waiting their new album...
21.05.2006 - 06:33
RevelInFlesh
Account deleted
Written by Elijah on 20.05.2006 at 13:54

Read his post properly. "Or sometimes i call it Pub Rock, because its the music you'd hear on the old juke-boxes lol." He didn't say the bands play in pubs.

I know exactly what he meant, I was just pointing out that these bands have progressed a long way past being just "Pub Rock" bands. And by that definition Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Aerosmith, etc, etc, are all "Pub Rock" bands. Keep that term for bands that actually fit into it.

Written by Xtreme Jax on 20.05.2006 at 16:16

Thank you for explaining Wynter. Lol i laughed at the perivious post before yours.

Maybe when you're old enough to get into the pub, and spell properly, you'll get it.

Now kids, stop soiling your nappies and check out some of the other bands I listed. Might help you all learn a little about the real Aussie metal scene.
22.05.2006 - 06:54
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Obvisiously you dont know what i mean, mainly because i havent explained everything that i meant in full. I didnt say nor mean that the bands play in pubs or that they have been bands that only stick to playing in them. Im quite familur with Rose Tattoo and AC/DC as my dad is a big fan and ive learnt alot off him, and with my coment that 'its the music you'd hear on the old juke-boxes' with that is generally what i find on them.

And yes, ive been in a pub, but back on topic. Your list of bands that you posted are good ones, and recommendable.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
22.05.2006 - 23:02
Zeleznk
what about Ilium, are they Australian?
----
()...()
:0,,0:
23.05.2006 - 11:33
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Yes they are, they are not very popular though.
LORD Tim produces their albums, he is the guitarist/vocalist for Dungeon/LORD.
23.05.2006 - 12:14
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
LORD are playing here on June 3rd. I'll try and check them out, havnt (or think i havnt) heard anything from Dungeon, but on their myspace.com the influences look pretty good. Im interested.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
24.05.2006 - 00:16
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
LORD is Dungeon, it was renamed because the bulk of the Dungeon members split, it was only Tim remaining as an original member, so he took up his solo project as the main band. They still play Dungeon material only though.
Check it out though man, they are the biggest Metal act here in Sydney.
24.05.2006 - 06:00
Legacy_Of_Kings
Account deleted
Why do I always think of kangaroos when I hear Australia ;P
24.05.2006 - 09:27
Mother-Anorexia
Account deleted
I wonder....
24.05.2006 - 12:15
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Haha, believe me, there isnt Kangaroos in Australias urban areas. You will see them in rural areas and bushland all the time though.
They dont jump around in our backyards, and we dont ride them to work/school, does that help
25.05.2006 - 08:58
..ExoTeaR..
why the fuck do people always think this country is infested with kangaroos.............. we go chasing them in the 4bie every now and then
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
25.05.2006 - 09:02
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Deströyer 666, one of my top 5 bands ever... "Unchain The Wolves" is a fuckin' masterpiece.
25.05.2006 - 11:11
..ExoTeaR..
yeah sadly i havent got around to purchasing that yet............... i no shoking it is but i blame my student budget................ and is my avatar the cd cover art cause my d666 lp Phoenix rising has got a different cover???
----
26.05.2006 - 02:58
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Unchain The Wolves is indeed a brilliant album
30.05.2006 - 08:49
..ExoTeaR..
damn you all keep rubbing it in ahhhhhhhhhhh ar well ill have it soon enough
----
30.05.2006 - 09:01
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by ..ExoTeaR.. on 25.05.2006 at 11:11

yeah sadly i havent got around to purchasing that yet............... i no shoking it is but i blame my student budget................ and is my avatar the cd cover art cause my d666 lp Phoenix rising has got a different cover???

I have the alternate cover as MY avatar! I didn't think that many people had ever seen it before Unchain The Wolves is excellent. It and Phoenix Rising are my two favourite Destroyer 666 albums. The wailing sound of their guitars is in places is just awesome. It sounds so war-ish.

@Dark Cornatus: I was at Uni the other day and I walked past the front lawn of the Student Admin building, and I saw two Kangaroos laying there. I have no idea what they were doing there, and I shudder to think what some of the international students would've thought after seeing them! You have to watch out for them on the roads too, they'll write off your car if you hit one! My Dad had a close call when he was driving his ute the other day and some jumped across the road he was driving along.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
31.05.2006 - 03:12
..ExoTeaR..
fucken roos......... love em but i also hate the mother fuckers they are violent sons of bitchs and yes the music is quite warish....... I AM THE WAR GOD is awsome
----
31.05.2006 - 22:46
Markku
Account deleted
Death's boundaries anyone? The only aussie band I really like, I Hope there'll be more.
02.06.2006 - 14:37
Nithael
Account deleted
The only australian metal band I know is The Eternal. It´s hard here to find music from that part of the world.
03.06.2006 - 23:07
Warrior Poet
Account deleted
There are some awesome bands, im a big fan of Virgin Black and Destroyer 666.
04.06.2006 - 19:19
malice05
Account deleted
being Aussie myself, nah not a huge fan on the metal scene in Aust, but maybe its because im in Perth, so probably not as exciting as Melb or Sydney...im a fan of ParkWay Drive...and i love Antistatic...Antistatic are from Perth, they are an amazing band, so check them out on there myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/antistatic

cheers, Todd
04.06.2006 - 23:46
Conemetal
I don't know a lot about Australian metal, since AC/DC I only knew Destroyer 666 and I love their Thrash/Black Metal
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
05.06.2006 - 00:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Conemetal on 04.06.2006 at 23:46

I don't know a lot about Australian metal, since AC/DC I only knew Destroyer 666 and I love their Thrash/Black Metal

I wouldn't expect less from you maestro... Deströyer 666 is the greatest band on earth!!!

CONFESS!!!! CONFESS!!!!!
FUCK YOU!!!! FUCK YOU!!!!
08.06.2006 - 02:42
..ExoTeaR..
we have a large scene i reckon its just that everythings few and far between wev got cristion metal bands (MORTIFICATION) all the way throu to black bands we might not get alot of churche burnings and extreme xtremists but we have a scene, just search around a bit
----
08.06.2006 - 02:47
..ExoTeaR..
might have somthing to do with the fact that where one of the largest countrys on earth with a very small population which i might add is great! (you can be alone if you want)
----
08.06.2006 - 10:43
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Also might be the fact that Australia is the most far away from the other 'bigger' metal countries, so its kind hard for us to get our music heard on the world stage.

Take Psycroptic, they started off in my home town where they playied there asses off in the pubs/clubs around the place, sent their music to the metal radio show (Full Metal Racket on Triple J) their they got known through Australia. Then toured with the other Australian bands in Australia and finally got picked up plying gigs with other international bands like Behemoth and Nile and word spread with other big bands.

So .... ok i dont really know where im going with this. I forgot my point after typing that ... haha
----

Hellcunt Smurf
08.06.2006 - 17:02
Markku
Account deleted
Xtreme JaX, point understood. I had never heard of them before the Nile gig but now one can hear much of them in the forums!!
08.06.2006 - 17:24
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Oh good someone understood me, thanks for that.

I think the point i was trying to make is that alot of Australian metal bands now days get reckonised on and after they do a tour with the BIG international bnads, and then word of mouth. .... Or something along those lines.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
08.06.2006 - 17:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
By far the best and most original Australian metal band is Alchemist, IMO.
What these guys do borders on the impossible. Truly innovative and grand stuff.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.06.2006 - 12:50
wrathchild
Staff
I had a great time reviewing some albums from Australian bands, namely Ilium and Black Steel (power and heavy metal). Sure they're nothing really outstanding or original, but I was rather pleased with how they brought back some of that "old" spirit to the music they play. I'm sure that those bands rock on stage! Plus, they seem very friendly.

http://www.blacksteel.com.au
http://www.myspace.com/blacksteelaustralia

http://www.ilium-metal.com
http://www.myspace.com/iliummetal
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz