+ Sacred Worlds [video]
+ A Journey To The Edge Of Time (Studio Documentary) [video]

The Best Power Metal Album Of 2010
Top 20 albums of 2010: 14
Featured in "Getting Into: Blind Guardian"

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The bards have come out of the forest. Yes, the Blind Guardians are back baby! And did they ever do it in style. Surely one of the year's most anticipated albums, At The Edge Of Time is sure to rank high on personal lists for a while.

Hit in the face with the 9+ minute long opening masterpiece "Sacred World", I had to replay it for half an hour before being able to continue on with the rest of the album. Majestic orchestral intro, grand entrance killer riffs, and vocals to die for. The first thought that went through my head at that exact time "This is already better than the entire previous album". Hell, this is Blind Guardian with a renewed energy and a hint of progressive influences I only dreamt about in the past.

Read more ››
published 21.09.2010 | Comments (86)

Found in 94 lists
Top lists

Comments page 6 / 8

Comments: 222   Visited by: 2317 users
15.09.2010 - 02:09
Rating: 6
Mountain King
K i K o
These bands stood the test of time and have influenced different genres. I think Black Metal is for posers and their satanic themes are very childish. U got to stop mocking Power Metal, Heavy Metal and Progressive Metal! These genres give quality, and im talking abt the good bands. U can find cheesy bands everywhere and mainly in Black Metal...
15.09.2010 - 02:29
RavenKing
Written by Mountain King on 15.09.2010 at 02:09

These bands stood the test of time and have influenced different genres. I think Black Metal is for posers and their satanic themes are very childish. U got to stop mocking Power Metal, Heavy Metal and Progressive Metal! These genres give quality, and im talking abt the good bands. U can find cheesy bands everywhere and mainly in Black Metal...

The fact they stood the test of time only means they are commercial enough to please lots of people.

Believe as much as you want that Black Metal is a poser genre, fact is those bands you mentioned made way more commercial moves in their careers than any BM band. As for being childish or not, standard heavy metal is often very childish. Seeing lots of those old men who are in their 50s and 60s now acting still like teenagers is the epitome of childishness, in my mind.

I never mocked prog, even if it's a genre that bores me to death.

I mocked Powermetal because it has become a shitty soft and commercial genre with time.
And I mocked standard heavy metal because I find this genre utterly outdated nowadays. I believe it belongs to the 80s and should have been left there.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
15.09.2010 - 12:32
vezzy
Stallmanite
"I think Black Metal is for posers."

I lol'd.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
20.09.2010 - 17:24
ponderer

Forget about having an opinion here at MS that goes against anything the "extreme" tards deem unworthy because they'll continue to come out of the woodwork like cockroaches. It's not even worth wasting your time disagreeing any more. Just nod in silent placation knowing that you are actually right.
20.09.2010 - 18:24
Rating: 6
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by ponderer on 20.09.2010 at 17:24

Forget about having an opinion here at MS that goes against anything the "extreme" tards deem unworthy because they'll continue to come out of the woodwork like cockroaches. It's not even worth wasting your time disagreeing any more. Just nod in silent placation knowing that you are actually right.

I totally agree with u. I stopped wasting my time and replying cz it's no use ...
20.09.2010 - 18:38
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Most "cheesy" bands are in power metal, no doubt about that - even if i like power metal and many of those cheesy bands, i am not afraid to say the truth loudly
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.09.2010 - 18:45
ponderer
Written by Mountain King on 20.09.2010 at 18:24

I totally agree with u. I stopped wasting my time and replying cz it's no use ...

At this point the troll's stuff is almost comical so it really isn't worth getting worked up about. It's like waging a war against 3 year olds to eat their veggies. I just let them get to me too much and needed a higher power (admin) to tell me it ain't worth it. It's all good. I'm really REALLY enjoying the new Blind Guardian. Thankfully they are staying true to their roots and continue to bring the metal!
21.09.2010 - 22:12
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 20.09.2010 at 18:38

Most "cheesy" bands are in power metal, no doubt about that - even if i like power metal and many of those cheesy bands, i am not afraid to say the truth loudly

Agreed on this. I mean, c'mon... Teh cheesiness is half the fun sometimes! XD
22.09.2010 - 14:15
Rating: 9
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion

Learn to use the "Ignore" function. It may impede discussion (if trolling counts as discussion), but it's good for your nerves.

As for the album, it's much better than ATITM, and has little if any filler tracks. For me it's just too bad that I heard Sacred (Worlds) like a year or two before the album got out, and it the best song of the album (IMHO, but Tanerlon, Valkyries or A Voice In The Dark are alo candidates).
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
22.09.2010 - 14:32
RavenKing

Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they are wrong. You just sound like one of those people stuck in the 80s who still believe old outdated standard metal is better than anything else.
Your delusional attitude won't change the fact that pretty much all those old bands won't be active anymore in a few years and we'll get rid of all those people stuck in the 80s on metal boards.
And it will be a good riddance. There's nothing worse than fanboys and people living in the past, failing to see that the 80s are long gone.

You and Mountain King both belong to the 'stuck in the past' category. I checked your lists of bands. Sad to see how some people have missed the last two decades.
----
22.09.2010 - 15:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 22.09.2010 at 14:32

You just sound like one of those people stuck in the 80s who still believe old outdated standard metal is better than anything else.
Your delusional attitude won't change the fact that pretty much all those old bands won't be active anymore in a few years and we'll get rid of all those people stuck in the 80s on metal boards.
And it will be a good riddance. There's nothing worse than fanboys and people living in the past, failing to see that the 80s are long gone.

You and Mountain King both belong to the 'stuck in the past' category. I checked your lists of bands. Sad to see how some people have missed the last two decades.

Yeah to be honest you strike me as a pretty solid candidate for that category yourself. I made the mistake of looking through your comments the other day and considered getting a prescription for lexapro or something. I don't think I've ever seen so much whining about how bad bands are/have become. Actually I don't think I saw a single positive post in the whole lot.

Just sayin' is all.
23.09.2010 - 01:33
RavenKing
Written by [user id=4365] on 22.09.2010 at 15:20

Yeah to be honest you strike me as a pretty solid candidate for that category yourself. I made the mistake of looking through your comments the other day and considered getting a prescription for lexapro or something. I don't think I've ever seen so much whining about how bad bands are/have become. Actually I don't think I saw a single positive post in the whole lot.

Just sayin' is all.

I think I see what you mean. Unlike them, it's not a matter of sticking to a genre that has done its time.
It's just that I believe nearly every band starts to suck at some point. They soften, slow down, change for the worst, etc... So I end up liking only their earlier stuff.
Also, there's something related to production. I hate the way most metal sounds nowadays.
----
23.09.2010 - 17:49
ponderer
Written by RavenKing on 22.09.2010 at 14:32

Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they are wrong. You just sound like one of those people stuck in the 80s who still believe old outdated standard metal is better than anything else.

Where do I even begin with douchebag trolls like you...

First off, I remember when I was 17 and hated my elders. I thought everyone older than me was an asshole who didn't know shit. The years went by and I eventually dropped the whole I-Hate-The-Planet-And-Everyone-On-It teen-angst shtick because quite frankly it's just another fad which you'll eventually grow out of. It depends on how long you plan on living in your parent's basement really. That's not something anyone else can help you with. You have to summon the courage to quit playing WoW and trolling forums, and eventually go out and get some sunshine in the real world.

As far as liking bands from the 70's, 80's and 90's, forgive me for worshiping at the altar where the forefathers of all that bullshit you listen to nowadays came from. It's poorly educated, clueless, slave drone retards like yourself who think everything should be new and modern. Guess what shithead? Without the past there is no future. I'm proud to have come from a time when metal was born, and had the chance to see where it all began as opposed to being some pre-pubescent prick who rides a metal forum looking for older people to mouth off to. I feel sorry for your parents because they had you and look at what kind of a shining example of humanity you've become. When did trolling the internet become a full-time job anyway?

So go ahead and respond with your blah blah blah OLD PEOPLE SUCK spiel until you are blue in the face (fingers). Your profile or lack thereof speaks volumes about the kind of "individual" you are. A troll. Troll on man. You should check the MS members list more thoroughly because there are people way older than I am who you can mouth off to.
23.09.2010 - 21:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The best would be if everyone here would just accept other peoples' music tastes without mocking notices about their personalities and so...

but damn, i forgot i am on Metal Storm...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

24.09.2010 - 05:04
RavenKing
Written by ponderer on 23.09.2010 at 17:49

First off, I remember when I was 17 and hated my elders. I thought everyone older than me was an asshole who didn't know shit. The years went by and I eventually dropped the whole I-Hate-The-Planet-And-Everyone-On-It teen-angst shtick because quite frankly it's just another fad which you'll eventually grow out of. It depends on how long you plan on living in your parent's basement really. That's not something anyone else can help you with. You have to summon the courage to quit playing WoW and trolling forums, and eventually go out and get some sunshine in the real world.

As far as liking bands from the 70's, 80's and 90's, forgive me for worshiping at the altar where the forefathers of all that bullshit you listen to nowadays came from. It's poorly educated, clueless, slave drone retards like yourself who think everything should be new and modern. Guess what shithead? Without the past there is no future. I'm proud to have come from a time when metal was born, and had the chance to see where it all began as opposed to being some pre-pubescent prick who rides a metal forum looking for older people to mouth off to. I feel sorry for your parents because they had you and look at what kind of a shining example of humanity you've become. When did trolling the internet become a full-time job anyway?

So go ahead and respond with your blah blah blah OLD PEOPLE SUCK spiel until you are blue in the face (fingers). Your profile or lack thereof speaks volumes about the kind of "individual" you are. A troll. Troll on man. You should check the MS members list more thoroughly because there are people way older than I am who you can mouth off to.

How clueless you are. Nothing in this pile of shit above can be applied to me. I'm only 2 years younger than you. I have nothing of a teenager.
The difference between you and me is I always cared to keep being up to date when it comes to metal. The difference is I refuse to become outdated and stuck in the past like you.

I never played WoW in my life. And I've been paying all my expenses for many years. Damn, I bet whatever you want that I have a much better job than you and higher wages.
Next time, don't assume too much. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Several members here are around my age or older (Marcel and Derwood being good examples) and I never criticized them because they are 'old'. Honestly, I didn't even check your age before you started talking bullshit about me and my age.

Yes, without past, there is no future. However, it's only a step in evolution and not the end of all things. A concept you fail to understand.

But feel free to believe your delusional ideas about me, if it makes you think you're better than others.

As for my profile being void of any information, it is like that simply because that's the way I like it to be. The less people know about me, the better I'm pleased. People on the internet don't need to know personal informations about me. Anyway, what's the point in writing information no one can check and confirm? You can say anything about you on the net and no one will know the truth. Keeping it void is great at identifying people like you who make assumptions without anything to back them up.

Let's say you poked yourself in the eye. Epic failure.
----
24.09.2010 - 05:32
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ellrohir on 23.09.2010 at 21:40

The best would be if everyone here would just accept other peoples' music tastes without mocking notices about their personalities and so...

Lately, there's been times Ive had to blink, and take a few just to make sure I am on Metal Storm, and not on Encyclopedia Metallum.
24.09.2010 - 13:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.09.2010 at 05:32

Lately, there's been times Ive had to blink, and take a few just to make sure I am on Metal Storm, and not on Encyclopedia Metallum.

As if arguments and trolling are limited to Metallum.
----
24.09.2010 - 13:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 24.09.2010 at 13:28

The post I quoted mentioned neither arguements, nor trolling. Dont put words in my mouth.
24.09.2010 - 13:52
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.09.2010 at 13:40

Written by vezzy on 24.09.2010 at 13:28

The post I quoted mentioned neither arguements, nor trolling. Dont put words in my mouth.

Generally such things lead to arguments or were started in the first place to troll or simply out of net rage/impulse.
----
24.09.2010 - 14:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 24.09.2010 at 13:52
Generally such things lead to arguments or were started in the first place to troll or simply out of net rage/impulse.

A lot of the people who do that aren't necessarily trolling, they just see others metal tastes as "inferior", and use that as an excuse to bash people for having those tastes. That is an attitude that up until quite recently, Id never witnessed on this site, but Metal Archives is well known as being a haven for people with such attitudes. Of course those things aren't exclusively reserved to MA, but its something the site is well known for. I think on any metal board, you will encounter that stuff to an extent, but some are worse than others, and MA is known for being prevelant with it.
24.09.2010 - 14:18
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.09.2010 at 14:01

A lot of the people who do that aren't necessarily trolling, they just see others metal tastes as "inferior", and use that as an excuse to bash people for having those tastes. That is an attitude that up until quite recently, Id never witnessed on this site, but Metal Archives is well known as being a haven for people with such attitudes. Of course those things aren't exclusively reserved to MA, but its something the site is well known for. I think on any metal board, you will encounter that stuff to an extent, but some are worse than others, and MA is known for being prevelant with it.

In general, only the negative reviews with a rating under 70% worth a reading on metal Archives. Negative reviews will always have more credibility, from my point of view, because those who write them are more realistic and dare to say things as they are. Moderately positive reviews are fine too. But I'm very suspicious when a review is too much praise because, while it can be well-deserved, most of the time (nearly always), praising reviews are no more than a vehicule to display fanboy-ism.
----
24.09.2010 - 14:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 24.09.2010 at 14:18
In general, only the negative reviews with a rating under 70% worth a reading on metal Archives. Negative reviews will always have more credibility, from my point of view, because those who write them are more realistic and dare to say things as they are. Moderately positive reviews are fine too. But I'm very suspicious when a review is too much praise because, while it can be well-deserved, most of the time (nearly always), praising reviews are no more than a vehicule to display fanboy-ism.

Many of the highly negative reviews Ive seen on MA fall squarely into the category of blind hate, imo. Blind opinions/reviews of albums are not only reserved for those who give an album a high rating. Some of the most puerile, immature reviews Ive seen on MA have been ones that are very negative.
24.09.2010 - 14:32
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.09.2010 at 14:23

Many of the highly negative reviews Ive seen on MA fall squarely into the category of blind hate, imo. Blind opinions/reviews of albums are not only reserved for those who give an album a high rating. Some of the most puerile, immature reviews Ive seen on MA have been ones that are very negative.

Some negative reviews are blind hate, yes. You need to see the difference.
Even then, better blind hate than blind love. At least it's not buttkissing.
----
24.09.2010 - 14:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 24.09.2010 at 14:32
Some negative reviews are blind hate, yes. You need to see the difference.
Even then, better blind hate than blind love. At least it's not buttkissing.

Its always easy, at least for me anyways, to tell the difference between a negative review based on blind hate, and one based on honest criticsm. Same with fanboys, and positive reviews which are not written through fanboyism. The type of language used is usually a dead giveaway in both instances.

Hmm.. It is still buttkissing Imo, just not the band's.
24.09.2010 - 17:39
ponderer

Written by Angelic Storm on 24.09.2010 at 14:01

That is utter stupidity. We should only read negative reviews? Why in the fuck do people waste their time writing negative reviews anyway? I hate Judas Priest's Point of Entry but I'm sure the fuck not going to waste a day writing a bad review of it. There's absolutely no logic to that comment or idea whatsoever. Why don't we all smoke crack? It gets negative reviews...
24.09.2010 - 17:49
ponderer
Written by RavenKing on 24.09.2010 at 05:04

Written by ponderer on 23.09.2010 at 17:49

How clueless you are. Nothing in this pile of shit above can be applied to me. I'm only 2 years younger than you. I have nothing of a teenager.
The difference between you and me is I always cared to keep being up to date when it comes to metal. The difference is I refuse to become outdated and stuck in the past like you.

I never played WoW in my life. And I've been paying all my expenses for many years. Damn, I bet whatever you want that I have a much better job than you and higher wages.
Next time, don't assume too much. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Several members here are around my age or older (Marcel and Derwood being good examples) and I never criticized them because they are 'old'. Honestly, I didn't even check your age before you started talking bullshit about me and my age.

Yes, without past, there is no future. However, it's only a step in evolution and not the end of all things. A concept you fail to understand.

But feel free to believe your delusional ideas about me, if it makes you think you're better than others.

As for my profile being void of any information, it is like that simply because that's the way I like it to be. The less people know about me, the better I'm pleased. People on the internet don't need to know personal informations about me. Anyway, what's the point in writing information no one can check and confirm? You can say anything about you on the net and no one will know the truth. Keeping it void is great at identifying people like you who make assumptions without anything to back them up.

Let's say you poked yourself in the eye. Epic failure.

I wonder why I was so confused about your age. It must be the way you troll this forum and me in particular. Something about your wording and level of idiocy screams 18 year old. As for hiding your profile, that sums you up in a nutshell. People who have something to hide are generally HEINOUS, ASHAMED, EMBARRASSED (add whatever negative traits you want here). Basically trolls hide their profiles so they don't have to worry about someone finding out who they really are and calling them out. I have nothing to hide nor anything to be ashamed of, at least not in this lifetime. Any other poorly worded halfwit commentary can be directed to me in pms as you are polluting the shit out of this thread with this gibberish.
24.09.2010 - 18:14
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.09.2010 at 05:32

Written by Ellrohir on 23.09.2010 at 21:40

I know. A few members are really taking a shit on this site. It's really annoying and has actually deterred me from checking this site as much as I used to lately. Some of these cats are nothing short of pathetic.
24.09.2010 - 18:28
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.09.2010 at 18:14
I know. A few members are really taking a shit on this site. It's really annoying and has actually deterred me from checking this site as much as I used to lately. Some of these cats are nothing short of pathetic.

Yep, thats exactly how I feel about it as well.
25.09.2010 - 01:23
RavenKing
Written by ponderer on 24.09.2010 at 17:49

Any other commentary can be directed to me in pms as you are polluting the shit out of this thread with this gibberish.

Fuck off. I won't waste my time sending pms to people for whom I have no esteem.
----
04.10.2010 - 20:05
Zhao
The Arkaholic
The best piece of Power Metal I've had this year. Makes up for the garbage Kamelot put out.

Hits total: 57397 | This month: 15