Metal Storm logo
The 30's, they had some sweet tunes

24.03.2010 - 01:54
Got Mayhem?
Awhile ago I was driving home late at night and didn't really feel like listening to any of my metal CD's. So I go to the radio and check the local Classic Rock stations, which were both playing some new popular alt-rock crap. Great. So I decide to continue my flipping and eventually I land on some station playing 30's music. And it was awesome. I'm not even sure what genre it was (I thought it was Big Band or something?) so if anyone could help with that it'd be awesome. The coolest part was that, as a guitarist, I could see how parts of the music could easily be incorporated into a more metal setting.

So, the 30's. Who likes them.
----
11.04.2010 - 22:43
edoolin111
I do
----
I hope I'm not the only one who has headbanged myself right off the stage....
14.04.2010 - 01:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Might it have been swing? the three-fingered Django Reinhardt played jazz and swing... was jawdroppingly good considering he had lost use of his pinkie and ring finger on his fretting hand.

Sheik of Araby

"Top 5 Solos
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.04.2010 - 18:16
Got Mayhem?
Written by BitterCOld on 14.04.2010 at 01:03

Might it have been swing? the three-fingered Django Reinhardt played jazz and swing... was jawdroppingly good considering he had lost use of his pinkie and ring finger on his fretting hand.

Sheik of Araby

"Top 5 Solos

Yep, it was a bunch of swing and early Jazz. Thanks for those links, I wasn't familiar with Djano Reinhardt, though I think I might have heard Sheik of Araby before. That's some pretty sweet music right there.
----
23.11.2010 - 01:02
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Sweet! Early jazz and swing really kicks ass. Plus it's a pretty inexpensive genre to get into since lots of the music is public domain (or if you own a turn table, just buy the old records at thrift stores and such, very cheap usually!).

I love Gene Krupa, he was an incredibly talented drummer and band leader. And if you want some hot piano playing, listen to anything with Art Tatum. And then, need I mention, there is always the immortal Duke Ellington.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
24.11.2010 - 05:52
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Delta Blues is a musical genre which I love from this decade...Robert Johnson and the like...simple recordings with a guitar...great stuff...