02. Prometheus (I Am Alive)
03. Light Up The Night
04. The Lords Of Chaos
05. Reign In Madness

The best Progressive Metal album of 2011

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
After a run of hugely successful albums, Symphony X have the expectations of the world on them for the release of album number eight, a concept album on man's growing reliance on technology; Iconoclast. A trademark crushing Michael Romeo riff opens up the album bravely with the eleven-minute long title track.

Iconoclast is a culmination of elements from the band's history with a harder edge than before. Everything that made the last Symphony X albums so enjoyable can be found on here somewhere; the progressive dynamics, Romeo's masterful guitar riffs, or the voice of one of our generation's greatest metal singers. Russell Allen's singing is once again one of the most enjoyable aspects of Symphony X, although at various points he does emulate Ronnie Dio's mannerisms a little too closely.

Read more ››
published 12.06.2011 | Comments (113)

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Symphony X returns after four years of absence. Iconoclast before the release was regarded as one of the most expected albums of the year. The confirmation of the new direction of the band, in my opinion, was one of my true concerns.

The album is divided in two CDs, the first one a more powerful, progressive, and strong style. For me the band is way better and feels more comfortable in this style. Every performance is really great, combining amazing vocal abilities, strong riffs and fast drum parts. The first CD starts with one of the best songs of the album, the homonymous "Iconoclast" with a great Russell Allen showing that he is one of the best metal singers nowadays. The opening song sets the tone for what comes next, probably the most enraged set of straight songs Symphony X had the talent to compose.

Read more ››
published 24.11.2011 | Comments (14)

I usually try to pick less known stuff, but this time it has to be Symphony X. Iconoclast is utterly brilliant. It's the most brilliant release I've heard in 3 years. It's also the best-produced fucking brilliant metal album in history. Oh, did I mention that it's brilliant?

Daniell's picks | More picks ››

Found in 95 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 6

Comments: 158   Visited by: 1986 users
16.06.2011 - 20:39
Rating: 9
Hughes
Written by Abattoir on 16.06.2011 at 19:26

Sovereign music...by the way song "Iconoclast" is outstanding.

I concur
17.06.2011 - 03:06
iMorphball
This album refines everything that was on "Paradise Lost". Title track is KILLER. \m/
17.06.2011 - 10:18
Rating: 7
JÄY
Metal slave
Rating says it all, but ill add that its a pretty amazing feat to produce 1 hour and 20 minutes of material at such a high level of quality. Earns this baby a 10!
17.06.2011 - 15:53
neonxaos
Very dense work... I gotta listen to this a lot before I can rate it. We're definitely at the high end of the scale, though.

[Edit] Yup, can't stop listening. There are some truly sublime tracks here. I keep humming passages without thinking. The lyrics are a liiiiittle cheesy at times, but I sure don't have much else to criticize.
17.06.2011 - 16:00
Zap
*sigh* here come the vote abusers...
17.06.2011 - 16:25
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Zap on 17.06.2011 at 16:00

well, I am almost sure that $hark is a vote abuser: the guy uses a disposable email that lasts for 60 minutes... (http://www.guerrillamail.com/). I am not sure about lochnessjp, but it is interesting that both of them really don't like Heavenwood and the same two releases of Morbid Angel...

P.S. a suggestion to staffers to prohibit using the @sharklasers.com emails for registration.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
17.06.2011 - 16:57
Vonpire
Very Good album, the solos are just magnificient. In the same line of Paradise Lost (which btw is my fav SX Album), really very well written and executed. For me the only "flaw", if you can call it, are the vocals, cause I really don't like them that much. Too much "heavy metal" type for my taste. If it wasn't for it and the song When All Is Lost i would have rated it 9 easily. Even way the self-titled opening track is a real killer!

All in all a great album that deserves 8 anyway.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
17.06.2011 - 17:05
Zap
Written by K✞ulu on 17.06.2011 at 16:25

Written by Zap on 17.06.2011 at 16:00

well, I am almost sure that $hark is a vote abuser: the guy uses a disposable email that lasts for 60 minutes... (http://www.guerrillamail.com/). I am not sure about lochnessjp, but it is interesting that both of them really don't like Heavenwood and the same two releases of Morbid Angel...

P.S. a suggestion to staffers to prohibit using the @sharklasers.com emails for registration.

I don't know man, lochnessjp rated every Nightwish album, EP, Single, Demo, DVD, Compilation and live album "1", I don't really think he listened to all of them...
17.06.2011 - 18:14
Vonpire
I really hate those fu**ers! The curious is that they are all Septic Flesh stupid "fans"???

I really think it's the same guy that opens several accounts...

Just check the Heavenwood albuns ratings...

Last day 3 1 votes or more in ALL albuns

Ridiculous, childish, stupid a**holes. Ban them! Or at least make a rule that takes off all 6 ratings of up and down for rating medium.

This is trolling this site which is for me the best metal site of all

irfanatic - Stupid IDIOT
lochnessjp - Stupid IDIOT
$hark - Stupid IDIOT
pokerrus - Stupid IDIOT
dff11 - Stupid IDIOT
turisas13 - Stupid IDIOT
Hinokokera - Stupid IDIOT
Dark Light - Stupid IDIOT
----
17.06.2011 - 18:17
Vonpire
Written by Saeed_p on 16.06.2011 at 00:53

Be honest guys; this not that too bad as few people mentioned and also perfect that many of you said.
I'd like to listen more melodic elements from them even though we cant call them Symphonic ! its not the way that they'd trying to be in.
so id rather to give them 6.

SHUT THE FU** UP YOU TROLL!

Stupid idiot!

Now trying to be "nice" to the "guys".

Grow up... kid.

Just look how dumb and ridiculous you are...

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=1289

Enslaved in number 10 best of 2010

and then your rating...

Enslaved

Axioma Ethica Odini 1

Just for Agalloch be in first???
How do you plea ?
----
17.06.2011 - 19:03
deflektor
Written by Vonpire on 17.06.2011 at 18:14

I really hate those fu**ers! The curious is that they are all Septic Flesh stupid "fans"???

Ridiculous, childish, stupid a**holes. Ban them! Or at least make a rule that takes off all 6 ratings of up and down for rating medium.

irfanatic - Stupid IDIOT
$hark - Stupid IDIOT
pokerrus - Stupid IDIOT
dff11 - Stupid IDIOT
turisas13 - Stupid IDIOT

well,they might be trolls but they don't pretend to be objective as you do.
but wait,you too have some very low ratings so you also are "Stupid IDIOT" (i know that i'm too,but unlike you i don't care if someone calls my favourite bands s**tload of f*ck or something like that)

now,about this album,their previous efforts were better (in my opinion) .the rating that i put was a bit hasty (now,i would put 5-5.5) but i don't usually change my ratings.
17.06.2011 - 20:23
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Not overly impressed....I know many people (myself included) are so used to amazing albums from this band that we want almost instinctively give it 9/10 or more. This is not as strong as their previous couple of albums - sure its a bit more punchy but not really hooked yet. I gave it 8/10 because its still much better than most other albums Ive heard this year but its not as good when you compare it to the rest of their work.
17.06.2011 - 20:33
Luneth
Account deleted
I reckon its at a high standard on the Symphony X continuum.
17.06.2011 - 21:04
Vonpire
Written by deflektor on 17.06.2011 at 19:03

irfanatic - Stupid IDIOT
$hark - Stupid IDIOT
pokerrus - Stupid IDIOT
dff11 - Stupid IDIOT
turisas13 - Stupid IDIOT

but wait,you too have some very low ratings so you also are "Stupid IDIOT" (i know that i'm too,but unlike you i don't care if someone calls my favourite bands s**tload of f*ck or something like that)

now,about this album,their previous efforts were better (in my opinion) .the rating that i put was a bit hasty (now,i would put 5-5.5) but i don't usually change my ratings.

Oh I missed you stupid on my list... Sorry bout that idiot...
Wait I see, you registered TODAY, just to make this post and rate this album with a 3...
We already know youre the same STUPID IDIOT WHO MADE all other accounts.
And dont lie, you are too "azeiteiro" to even discuss any ratings.
----
18.06.2011 - 01:05
Detrox
According to me this is the perfect evolution of Paradise Lost. Amazing! My Rate: 10
18.06.2011 - 02:06
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
The End Of Innocence 3:28 "Feel my penis"
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
18.06.2011 - 02:06
deflektor
Written by Vonpire on 17.06.2011 at 21:04

Written by deflektor on 17.06.2011 at 19:03

irfanatic - Stupid IDIOT
$hark - Stupid IDIOT
pokerrus - Stupid IDIOT
dff11 - Stupid IDIOT
turisas13 - Stupid IDIOT

Oh I missed you stupid on my list... Sorry bout that idiot...
Wait I see, you registered TODAY, just to make this post and rate this album with a 3...
We already know youre the same STUPID IDIOT WHO MADE all other accounts.
And dont lie, you are too "azeiteiro" to even discuss any ratings.

yeah,you're right,i registered just to put 3 (which as i said is actually a bit higher,i just didn't bother to change the rating) on this album,and in the meantime rating another 226 releases....
18.06.2011 - 05:34
Rating: 10
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Vonpire on 17.06.2011 at 18:17

Written by Saeed_p on 16.06.2011 at 00:53

Be honest guys; this not that too bad as few people mentioned and also perfect that many of you said.
I'd like to listen more melodic elements from them even though we cant call them Symphonic ! its not the way that they'd trying to be in.
so id rather to give them 6.

Just look how dumb and ridiculous you are...
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=1289

Enslaved in number 10 best of 2010

and then your rating...

Enslaved

Axioma Ethica Odini 1

Just for Agalloch be in first???
How do you plea ?

Obviously he doesn't pretend to be objective, With that example he has proved his great stupidity that he have inside as human, this is the true.
18.06.2011 - 07:56
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
I don't get why people are saying it's bad if it's not symphonic. It could be a good album if you pop it back in and give it another spin without expecting symphonic elements.
18.06.2011 - 22:40
MetalSpider
Its just not as good as I was hoping. Its a great album and probably their heaviest but its not as good as Paradise Lost and not even as good their previous efforts imo. I'll still give it a few more listens before I actually rate it.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
18.06.2011 - 22:56
I don't care about the 1-voters. In the grand scheme of things, their actions won't make a difference. The top 20 of 2011 won't persuade independent people as to which albums are the best. It may give them albums that were astounding this year, but I'm ultimately making my own decisions when it comes to listening to music.
19.06.2011 - 00:46
Spanishkiller
Artwork sucks IMO, but it is a great album!!!
19.06.2011 - 02:37
Raziel X
For me the first CD is better IMO, especially first three tracks
19.06.2011 - 06:32
godisdead
From what I hear online it sounds great!!! Just because your dissapointed doesnt mean you should give it a 3 or 4.
19.06.2011 - 22:21
Rating: 10
TemplarLS
Great album! They did it again they can'y make bad album!!!!
20.06.2011 - 01:56
evoola
Whoever slapped the lyrics up in haste managed to miss the entire first set of lyrics to 01 - Iconoclast. Look before you leap.
20.06.2011 - 03:08
Aetherius
I have been contemplating getting this, I used to be a HUGE fan('97 - '02), then my musical tastes changed just enough to where I stopped listening to Symphony X non-stop everyday lol. I still love them though and am very curious about this album
20.06.2011 - 03:12
MetalSpider
After my third spin, I really enjoyed it much more!!! Yeah it's definitely not as melodic, but its one hell of an album. I don't know what it is about my third time through that made me just enjoy it so much more. The lyrics are a little weak, but everything else about the album is just killer.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
20.06.2011 - 06:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by MetalSpider on 20.06.2011 at 03:12

After my third spin, I really enjoyed it much more!!! Yeah it's definitely not as melodic, but its one hell of an album. I don't know what it is about my third time through that made me just enjoy it so much more. The lyrics are a little weak, but everything else about the album is just killer.

It did take me about 3 listens to fully absorb the album. I think it's because most of the songs are long, and some songs aren't initially immediate. (Like "Electric Messiah" the title track, and "Reign In Madness") I did like the album when I first heard it, but repeated plays has shown me just what a great album it actually is. Symphony X have yet to disappoint me, and that still remains the case because "Iconoclast" is awesome! xD
20.06.2011 - 13:12
Qube
I feel like I'm missing something, but this album feels a bit flat. But I could say the same of a lot of other Prog Metal albums.
Anyway, good music.

Hits total: 59844 | This month: 10