Metal Storm logo
Garm's Strongest Vocal Performance

Poll

Which of these albums with Garm is his best overall vocal performance?

Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Ulver - Bergtatt
VA - Other
Borknagar - The Olden Domain
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal
Ulver - Kveldssanger
Ulver - Themes From William Blake

Total votes: 55
17.04.2010 - 21:38
Jiri

As we know, Garm has performed top notch vocals in every release he has been featured on. A true fan of his work also knows that he sounds drastically different in every album he appears on. So here is your chance to decide which of these albums is his strongest overall vocal performance, or simply which contains your personal favorite style from Garm. Unfortunately, there are only 9 possible poll options. Therefore, if you believe an album not shown here is the best performance, simply choose other and state the album in your post and explain why. Albums that he has done vocals on that sadly can't be included are Borknagar's self titled, Head Control System's Murder Nature, Arcturus' Constellation, Disguised Masters, Aspera Hiems Symphonia (re-release), Ulver's Vargnatt, Metamorphosis, Perdition City, A Quick Fix of Melancholy, Blood Inside, and Shadows of the Sun.
17.04.2010 - 21:40
Jiri

By the way, I voted for Aspera Hiems Symphonia. I think his performance here is absolutely perfect!
18.04.2010 - 01:56
athena

This was a tough decision. The man is nothing short of phenomenal. Personally I love his low notes, so it was a tough choice between Kveldssanger, Aspera, and La Masquerade. I chose Aspera because I can not ignore the venomous, passionate harsh vocals. Also his singing is fantastic on this release!
18.04.2010 - 01:58
Jiri

Yeah, I love everything he has done. I chose that one for the exact same reason:)
18.04.2010 - 04:48
Richard

For me, it's Bergtatt. His melodic vocals were sublime on that album. I listened to it a lot when it was originally released, it was something really quite different, and his singing had a pure tone, almost a kind of ethereal quality, or so it seemed at the time. Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia was also very good, though.
----
18.04.2010 - 05:16
Jiri

I agree, man. I also adore the clean singing on Bergtatt. But I felt his sub-par harsh vocals on the album dragged it under Aspera. Not by much, but enough for me to chose Aspera. Though, a very good choice, Richard:)
18.04.2010 - 14:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
There 3 albums from list what I like
Bergtatt , Aspera Hiems Symfonia and The Olden Domain even moustly i cant chooe between Ulver and Arcturus albums, but since Arcturus Aspera Hiems Symfonia more interesting, more instrumental parts and vocals is good to I vote for it even I like Bergatt to
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.04.2010 - 21:57
Jiri

Yes, it is, bro. I thought the samples got in the way though. He over did the sampled vocals in LMI. Though Master of Disguise is one of his best deliveries!
18.04.2010 - 22:47
ArcturusmorteM

The Sham Mirrors, Aspera Hiems Symfonia And La Masquerade Infernale. There are three perfect preformances.
19.04.2010 - 01:34
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Richard on 18.04.2010 at 04:48

For me, it's Bergtatt. His melodic vocals were sublime on that album. I listened to it a lot when it was originally released, it was something really quite different, and his singing had a pure tone, almost a kind of ethereal quality, or so it seemed at the time. Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia was also very good, though.

I was about to write a similar thing. The first song especially captures this ethereal quality.
19.04.2010 - 11:57
Slyfang

No doubt about it in my mind:

Ulver - Blood Inside
19.04.2010 - 16:37
Lone Reaper

Arcturus "the Sham Mirrors"...

Also like the fantastic track The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from "Souvenirs"
19.04.2010 - 19:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Chalk me up with another vote for "Bergtatt" ... for the reasons mentioned above. the combination of the music and vocals and how they evolve as the album goes on it utterly fantastic. it remains my favorite metal album and garm's vocals are undoubtedly a key facet as to why i regard that album so highly.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.04.2010 - 21:21
Jiri

Hell yeah, bitter. It is my favorite album of all time as well.
20.04.2010 - 03:23
Richard

Written by Dark Cornatus on 19.04.2010 at 01:34

Written by Richard on 18.04.2010 at 04:48

I was about to write a similar thing. The first song especially captures this ethereal quality.

Yep, I agree the opening song particularly captures that feeling. I remember playing it to an old mate of mine at the time who wasn't even into Metal, but was surprised and impressed. He was really into Pink Floyd and that kind of thing, and I think this album, and that first song in particular, has a certain feel that may appeal to serious music fans who aren't necessarily into Metal but can appreciate it when it has such a sense of melody and atmosphere.
----
20.04.2010 - 16:38
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Haha its funny how we have to call it "the first song", damn Norwegian titles

Yeh it definitely is a very melodic and soothing piece of music. It kind of trails into the next song too, except the harsh vocals come into play in it.
21.04.2010 - 14:12
-N-

I voted for "Aspera Hiems Symphonia", usually I don't like clean vocals but I think his clean vocals in "The Sham Mirrors" is so wonderful!!!!
21.04.2010 - 16:16
athena

I've alway been a fan of Garm's low notes, but I was just listening Head Control System and found myself spellbound. He has really mastered the falsetto/counter tenor stuff. It is fucking beautiful! I can easily see why anyone might vote for Blood Inside or Head Control System!
16.04.2011 - 18:35
XV535Virago

Written by ArcturusmorteM on 18.04.2010 at 22:47

The Sham Mirrors, Aspera Hiems Symfonia And La Masquerade Infernale. There are three perfect preformances.

Same here!
----
True norwegian Dimmu Burger : zero tolerance to pickles must be issued!
11.01.2014 - 23:54
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
For me it's his performance on Shadows of the Sun from Ulver. He has a soft and ethereal performance on that album that sends chills.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).