Metal Storm logo
Who said that girls can't rock?

Original post

Posted by Lupas, 12.08.2006 - 00:14
Well this thread come into my mind after i have find up this female fronted band - Gretchen .
And yes girls do rock. I, myself , is a great fan of all female fronted bands especial cause i prefer the melodic metal and most are female fronted bands. But also other metal types , girls do thier outmost to perform well. So what do you think?
10.04.2008 - 18:51
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Written by W-Lash on 10.04.2008 at 14:22

Written by AnGina-- on 12.08.2006 at 13:04

Bullshit! Women can sing, play, rock all the way and even do it better than men!

I agree that women can be in metal but not in extreme metal. Women usually sing or play in power/gothic metal and that's all (with some exceptions).
If women are so talanted in metal then please tell me some hundreds of women in black metal.

And telling me about Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy is not serious. She's one of the few women that can growl.

These chicks make pretty extreme metal for a girlband:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBRyNmXnL0&feature=related
They are makeing some good BM I think.
10.04.2008 - 19:06
GhostofPerdition
Account deleted
I have to be completely honest with you, I am not a big fan of female vocals in metal bands. It's not a sexist thing or something stupid like that. There are some good ones. Angela from Arch Enemy is crazy. I just feel that metal is a more masculine form of music. A female singing doesn't really do it for me. I find it takes away from the masculinity of the music. I just don't enjoy it as much, most of the time. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't absolutely hate female vocalists all together. I do enjoy the occasional female vocals, such as Draconian. Kamelot uses a female vocalist every not and then for back-up vocals, too. This is just what I think about it, though. It's just not what I personally enjoy.
10.04.2008 - 20:20
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by [user id=30512] on 10.04.2008 at 18:51

Bullshit! Women can sing, play, rock all the way and even do it better than men!

I agree that women can be in metal but not in extreme metal. Women usually sing or play in power/gothic metal and that's all (with some exceptions).
If women are so talanted in metal then please tell me some hundreds of women in black metal.

And telling me about Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy is not serious. She's one of the few women that can growl.

So what? One band doesn't mean anything. Probably you can find few good black metal bands in Africa but it doesn't mean that africans play good metal.
Always can be found exceptions like in this case.

You can think as you wish but i will not agree that women can play good extreme metal.
10.04.2008 - 20:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by W-Lash on 10.04.2008 at 20:20

So what? One band doesn't mean anything. Probably you can find few good black metal bands in Africa but it doesn't mean that africans play good metal.

You can think as you wish but i will not agree that women can play good extreme metal.

Best post about Africa ever man realy mor ei live lsiten metal and I think only EUROPA hes good metal bands and also USA ok SA was in past but Chile and Brazil are good, but other world .... sorry nop no good metal there
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.04.2008 - 01:35
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix

Wow, first of all I wrote that post ages ago.
Secondly, I still agree with what I wrote. I said women can not do. I'm not sure how the topic that ''girls'' can rock has to do anything with female growlers, women in BM and so. I thought that this discussion is meant as woman can have enough passion for metal/rock music, even though most of the listeners (especially of metal) is still male.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
11.04.2008 - 15:09
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Well, as I see most of the people here on the forum is male also. Most metallers are male. So, most good bands will be male also probably, it's a matter of chance. But that there are some good female bands means that there are possiblities that woman make great extreme metal and so, they Rock!
15.04.2008 - 00:19
Ragana
Rawrcat
Oh, just look at Cadaveria! Real beauty and screaming like a fury!
15.04.2008 - 13:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 15.04.2008 at 00:19

Oh, just look at Cadaveria! Real beauty and screaming like a fury!

Beautifull indeed
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.04.2008 - 19:20
MorbidGod
Account deleted
"Who Said Girls Don't Ruk?"..it's pretty like sayin"who said that no one can swim"???!!!!
everybody can swim...but it's few who can hit records....aint that right?
anywayz..i do agree that girls"as a minority in metal" do ruk....but their "ruk"ness is Xtremely specified in a place where u can't call what they play or sing (metal) considerin that metal is more than gothic..power n some"gothenburg/melodic death metal bands"
i dowanna under estimate gurlz n their ability to ruk...n not tryna be a manly ass ...but a fact is a fact....
it's about having necessary qualifications..without gettin into mentionin what these qualifications r...everbody knows that growlin is one of them especially when it comes to hard core genres....
angela is an xample of havin what i talked about but can u tell me how many"angelaZ" r there in the WORLD?
18.04.2008 - 19:32
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Written by [user id=31947] on 18.04.2008 at 19:20

"Who Said Girls Don't Ruk?"..it's pretty like sayin"who said that no one can swim"???!!!!
everybody can swim...but it's few who can hit records....aint that right?
anywayz..i do agree that girls"as a minority in metal" do ruk....but their "ruk"ness is Xtremely specified in a place where u can't call what they play or sing (metal) considerin that metal is more than gothic..power n some"gothenburg/melodic death metal bands"
i dowanna under estimate gurlz n their ability to ruk...n not tryna be a manly ass ...but a fact is a fact....
it's about having necessary qualifications..without gettin into mentionin what these qualifications r...everbody knows that growlin is one of them especially when it comes to hard core genres....
angela is an xample of havin what i talked about but can u tell me how many"angelaZ" r there in the WORLD?

Mate the thread's called Who said that girls can't rock. Rock, not necessarily metal.

Anyway, Janis Joplin proved that they certainly can, back in the day.
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
18.04.2008 - 19:45
MorbidGod
Account deleted
i got it pal!!!....but w'r ina METAL forum...so i tried to answer conciderin this....
anywayz thx for ur topic
19.04.2008 - 10:43
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by W-Lash on 10.04.2008 at 20:20

Opera IX from italy which is a really gooD black metal has a female vocal

PS:i didnt think that in europe,u think about women like old centuries!
10.07.2009 - 18:21
gwarscumdog
List: Pat Bennatar, Lita Ford, The Vixens, The Runnaways, Within Temptation, Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, Arch Enemy, Otep, Straight Line Stitch......... ....they said they can. .....Avril Lavigne hahaha -_-
11.07.2009 - 17:56
ironfiststew
Account deleted
Extreme metal is what i consider "EBR" = excess ball-age required.

the stereotype that women are more into symphonic/goth metal is absolutely true though. extreme metal is harder to digest and it requires years of building tolerance. there are a small minority of women who are into extreme metal, none of whom i've ever met. that's why i'm on this message board:P
11.07.2009 - 17:58
ironfiststew
Account deleted
And btw, who said girls can't play melodic death? we have opeth don't we?
13.07.2009 - 02:38
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by [user id=30512] on 11.04.2008 at 15:09

Well, as I see most of the people here on the forum is male also. Most metallers are male. So, most good bands will be male also probably, it's a matter of chance. But that there are some good female bands means that there are possiblities that woman make great extreme metal and so, they Rock!

Yep, and it's a shame there isn't more metal girls out there, it would make finding a girlfriend a lot easier when you are a metal man. I think girls can rock, my favorite album at the moment is Arkona's Vo Slavu Velikim, it's amazing with a female vocalist doing a brilliant job of combining soft and hard vocals. I generally like female vocals in melodic black and death bands, it brings something special to the music. Besides metal, Pat Benatar, Debbie Harry. Sandra Nasic, Brody from the Distiller, Courtney Love...and bands like the Donnas, Bikin Kill, Kittie and Sahara Hotnights have all shown girls can rock.

Oh, and how nice is it to see a female musician in a band, like the bass players from Coal Chamber and White Zombie, gives a different presence on stage.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
13.07.2009 - 02:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
A sampling, part 1, of woman-fronted metal bands. and by metal, it's the kind with some 'balls*' to it, not superslick pop music with distorted guitars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukQqBuZ3o6Y

* should this be 'tubes' for women?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.07.2009 - 03:12
thesabbathfan
I cant stand clean female vocals in metal, it just sounds so.... wrong

having said that, i've heard kickass screams and growls from females
----
15.07.2009 - 22:04
thesabbathfan
Written by Norm on 15.07.2009 at 07:55

Written by thesabbathfan on 13.07.2009 at 03:12

I cant stand clean female vocals in metal, it just sounds so.... wrong

having said that, i've heard kickass screams and growls from females

Have your listened to the band The Agonist before? I use to think just like what you said, but I head this girl and she is so talent it's awesome. (+She's pretty hot too.)

Er- what I'm trying to say is that I think it's hard for a band to fit female clean vocals into a Metal song, but it's possible as The Agonist shows us. I think they pull it off really well.
I'm listening to their "Business Suits and Combat Boots" video, I have to say, I'm extremely impressed, that clean singing was actually great.
----
15.07.2009 - 22:24
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Norm on 15.07.2009 at 07:55

Have your listened to the band The Agonist before? I use to think just like what you said, but I head this girl and she is so talent it's awesome. (+She's pretty hot too.)

Just listened to this band, didn't know them before, they sound really cool. Thanks for the tip.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
15.07.2009 - 22:59
tulkas
el parcero
This is probably the proper thread for this:

----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
16.07.2009 - 01:57
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Xena the greatest warrior, she should start a folk metal band. And we'll fight and dance 'till the morning.
----

16.07.2009 - 16:44
ironfiststew
Account deleted
Quote:

Oh, and how nice is it to see a female musician in a band, like the bass players from Coal Chamber and White Zombie, gives a different presence on stage.

btw, if you didn't notice, most women musicians play bass, because no one can hear it in the first place.
16.07.2009 - 19:55
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by [user id=41594] on 16.07.2009 at 16:44

Quote:

btw, if you didn't notice, most women musicians play bass, because no one can hear it in the first place.

That's true. It looks kind of wierd to seeing as it's such a big instrument and they are usually small. Some female bassists must have talent? It's you don't really hear it enough to judge, the only way of finding out is by picking up a bass and getting hold of some of their tabs.
----

16.07.2009 - 20:16
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Haddonfield on 13.07.2009 at 02:38

Or Charlotte Cooper from English rock band, The Subways. Haven't heard much of 'em just a live performance of "Rock n Roll Queen".....

----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
17.07.2009 - 18:53
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I think my generation brought a lot of women who played instruments. I think overall you are seeing a lot of women in often solely-male dominated environments.

Especially in rock bands, now you even have all-women bands. Of course you had that before as well but not as much as you see now.

I'm an example, I play guitar. Not that I'm great but it just proves my point.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.07.2009 - 13:19
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Haddonfield on 16.07.2009 at 19:55

Quote:

That's true. It looks kind of wierd to seeing as it's such a big instrument and they are usually small. Some female bassists must have talent? It's you don't really hear it enough to judge, the only way of finding out is by picking up a bass and getting hold of some of their tabs.

Argh, don't take away my MOJO!

I was on and off about learning to play guitar, I played a bit and then stopped and started learning it again.... And then some day I tried something on my friends's bass guitar and I fell for it immediately. Now I'm starting with the basics of bass playing and I'm definately buying myself a 4-string when I'll have enough money, cause it's a kickass instrument and I enjoy learning it far more than I did guitar. And I always hear good bass lines in songs, don't know why I shouldn't/couldn't/wouldn't.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
18.07.2009 - 14:05
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by AnGina-- on 18.07.2009 at 13:19

Written by Haddonfield on 16.07.2009 at 19:55

Quote:

Argh, don't take away my MOJO!

I was on and off about learning to play guitar, I played a bit and then stopped and started learning it again.... And then some day I tried something on my friends's bass guitar and I fell for it immediately. Now I'm starting with the basics of bass playing and I'm definately buying myself a 4-string when I'll have enough money, cause it's a kickass instrument and I enjoy learning it far more than I did guitar. And I always hear good bass lines in songs, don't know why I shouldn't/couldn't/wouldn't.

I play guitar but I find bass much easier, there's more space to hit the string you need, Only held a bass two or three times and come out with stuff like Master of Puppets of Ride the Lightning, just converting the guitar notes to the bass, probably not what Burton played exactly and people can't believe I haven't played bass before. But get stuck into it, it's always cool to play an instrument and I find it's a stress releaver when needed.
----

20.07.2009 - 17:41
ironfiststew
Account deleted
Dave mustaine once said, "playing the bass.. isn't that like playing the triangle?" lol AMEN. very rarely do i hear bass and think it's being used in rock/metal the right way. les claypool is one example. but bass really has no place in metal.
20.07.2009 - 18:14
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by [user id=41594] on 20.07.2009 at 17:41

Dave mustaine once said, "playing the bass.. isn't that like playing the triangle?" lol AMEN. very rarely do i hear bass and think it's being used in rock/metal the right way. les claypool is one example. but bass really has no place in metal.

lol you have Death and Megadeth in your favorite bands and don't hear bass?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.