Metal Storm logo
Anthrax - Joey Belladona Back In The Band

In the latest installment of the Anthrax soap, Joey Belladona has reunited with the band. Here's the official press release:

With rumors swirling since Anthrax drummer Charlie Benante and bassist Frank Bello were seen together with former Anthrax vocalist Joey Belladonna late last month in New York, the band - Benante, Bello, and guitarists Scott Ian and Rob Caggiano - is elated to announce that Belladonna has officially rejoined the band. In his once and current capacity, Belladonna will make his first appearance with Anthrax this summer when the band joins Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeth - The Big Four founding bands of the thrash genre - to co-headline a series of Sonisphere Festivals in ten European cities, as well as playing a handful of Anthrax-headlined shows.

"I am super excited about this," said Scott Ian. "Joey and the rest of the band came to see me play at a club in New York, I hadn't seen Joey for years, since the end of the reunion tour. Joey taps me on the shoulder, instant big hug, it felt like no time had gone by. The band dynamic is an interesting one - in Anthrax, Joey and I spent so many years of our lives together, we grew up together, we know each other so well, so it was like no time was lost."

Belladonna, an essential part of Anthrax's lineup from 1985 to 1992, sang on some of the band's most popular albums including Spreading the Disease, Among the Living and Persistence of Time. He had reunited with original members of Anthrax for the 2005-2007 "Among the Living Tour," but this situation is different. Explained Belladonna: "I had been in touch with Charlie and Frank, then I got a call from their manager who said that everyone wanted me back in the band. I thought, 'are you guys for real? You want me up there, fronting the band like it was before?' I was thrilled. We've already started to reconnect with the old ways of having conversations. Everything is easy going and feels really good."

"We're going to do these summer shows and gel as a band," explained Charlie Benante, "get comfortable playing with each other again, and the energy from that should go right into making new music."

Immediately following the final Sonisphere festival in early August, the band will fly back to the U.S. and begin writing and rehearsing for a new album that's expected to be out in early 2011.

"We've got an unusual luxury of hindsight," added Ian. "We finished an album a year ago, we've lived with those 12 songs since then, and we can look back on them and see what we really love and what we can make even better, especially with Joey back in the fold."

Added Benante: "There are five or six songs from a year ago that we don't want to change, we love them the way they are, other than having Joey making them his own with his vocals. Then there's another five or six that we may want to rework, and then there are a bunch of other tunes that are still in the early stages, that we want to finish.

"John was a real stand up guy about the situation," said Ian, about John Bush, Anthrax's vocalist from '92 - '05. "He knew we wanted to move forward at full speed, that we needed a total commitment to Anthrax, and he knew that wasn't what he wanted. We certainly wish John well. We've had so many great times with him, and we appreciate his stepping in last summer at the last minute, and performing with us since then. He will always be an integral part of the Anthrax family."

Source: anthrax.com
Band profile: Anthrax
Posted: 11.05.2010 by Alakazam

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 51   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 227 users
11.05.2010 - 15:18
*!*
A dream came true, hope this time around they'll stay together and make masterpieces again such as among the living...
11.05.2010 - 15:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
This is getting more pathetic by the minute. Only a couple of months ago Scott Ian compared Joey to a mouse and John Bush to a lion. The little respect Anthrax still had from me has now totally evaporated.
Fuck 'em...

Pathetic weasels.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.05.2010 - 15:47
Kingface
Although I'm a fan of Anthrax, I'm starting to doubt whether I'll be saying the same thing in say, a years time if all this shit keeps going off with the band.

I think getting Joey back...AGAIN...is a huge mistake. Whilst the first time around for the Reunion tour, it provided some positives and I personally was lucky enough to go an see them during that tour at my most local venue for big Metal bands that I'll always be grateful for (particularly as the setlist was so immense), I think it was a big part of what left them in the mess they are in now. Not to mention the fact that they abandoned a better vocalist to get him back.

Obviously I don't know the ins and outs, but it seems to me that Joey gets bored or upset or whatever very easily, yet Scott and Charlie can't let go of the past.

The new album, if it ever gets released, better be bloody good to make up for all this bollocks!
11.05.2010 - 16:16
soadbyob
Account deleted
Good news, if it works. If not, then just stick with Bush, not as good, but better than nothing
11.05.2010 - 17:14
Parazyd
Awesome!!!
----
Don't worry Cartman. There are no stupid answers, just stupid people.
11.05.2010 - 17:51
Thrash666
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Best news all year. Hope it lasts.
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
11.05.2010 - 18:41
Chidder
No, no, no! I was so excited to see Bush on Sonisphere in Warsaw, but now... I don't know. For me John is better vocalist and a better frontman. Anthrax with Belladonna will focus only on old stuff and forget songs like "Only", "Hy-pro-glo" or "Crush", becouse, lets be honest, Belladoona can't sing something like that. He already quit three times, God dammit, will they ever learn? I'm so pissed...
11.05.2010 - 18:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Chidder on 11.05.2010 at 18:41

God dammit, will they ever learn? I'm so pissed...

No they won't cause Scott Ian and Charlie Benante are idiots. The will probably fire Joey within the year and then ask John back then fire him again and ask Joey back etc etc. Those two are THE most fickle morons in metal around.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.05.2010 - 19:20
Winterthrone
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.05.2010 at 18:52

Written by Chidder on 11.05.2010 at 18:41

God dammit, will they ever learn? I'm so pissed...

No they won't cause Scott Ian and Charlie Benante are idiots. The will probably fire Joey within the year and then ask John back then fire him again and ask Joey back etc etc. Those two are THE most fickle morons in metal around.

Lucky for you, your a staff member of metalstorm so you won't get warned for such a shitty post...I thought it was written somewhere in the rules of this forum that we couldn't dis band members like that, I mean you can criticize the music and the bands but labelling thrash metal monuments like scott Ian and Charlie Benante as idiots or morons is a little too much.
First, you are not in the band if I'm not mistaking so what the hell do you know about what really happened between the band members of Anthrax, so how can you determine who is responsible for the departure of John Bush?
Second, are you in love with John Bush? I mean in my book he is not even close to be as good as Joey Belladonna...and I 'm pretty glad he is back with the band and apparently ready to record an album with Anthrax. If he fucks up and quits again that's another story, but wait for the results before judging in such a stupid manner...
11.05.2010 - 19:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
No I am not in love with John Bush. But John Bush is technically far better that Belladonna. Btw Joey did not fuck up before, he was just kicked out without any reason. Same as Dan Nelson. FFS Scott and Charlie even lied saying Dan quit on his own accord to to health problems whereas in fact the guy was as fit as they come and was kicked out by egomaniacs Scott and Charlie.

So I am not allowed to state what kind of dickweeds Scott and Charlie are? They are as much idiots as Dave Mustaine or any other egomaniac in metal.

Scott and Charlie are thrash monuments indeed, but so are Lars Ulrich and Dave Mustaine and yet those two are also idiots. I can say whatever I want concerning band members.
SO according to you I am also not allowed to say Varg is an idiot or the other black metal musicians that killed people and keep on telling lies and such?

I am 100% sure if anyone else posted what I posted they wopn't get warned either.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.05.2010 - 19:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
The rules of the forum say we must be respectful to one another. staff and forum members have the right to voice their opinions about band members as they wish. it's not like Marcel went horribly out of line in dropping multiple f-bombs and slurs. he called them idiots. oooh! time to put him in the Time Out Corner and wash his mouth out with soap.

as for his opinion, i agree.

Charlie and Scott might be capable of writing some good tunes, but they have done nothing but screw up the band for going on 20 years now.

Their constant musical chairs with the vocal position (not to mention kicking out Spitz and even Bello leaving the band for a while) has turned the band from "BIG FOUR OF THRASH" into a punchline. they've released three actual new albums in 17 years. They've had 3 different guys fronting the band in the last 12 months. The Fry Station at McDonalds doesn't have as much turn over.

I've been listening to Anthrax since 1987. I owned their shit on tape, own it now on CD, and have had a couple T's. i, along with Marcel, am one of the absolute biggest supporters of the band when it comes to defending them whenever some wet-behind-the-ears noobie starts claiming they don't deserve a spot in the Big Four.

That said, i have no respect for them any more. none. They are indefensible.

Bush should have just hung up when they called and stuck with Armored Saint, imo.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.05.2010 - 19:55
Chidder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.05.2010 at 19:33

No I am not in love with John Bush. But John Bush is technically far better that Belladonna. Btw Joey did not fuck up before, he was just kicked out without any reason. Same as Dan Nelson. FFS Scott and Charlie even lied saying Dan quit on his own accord to to health problems whereas in fact the guy was as fit as they come and was kicked out by egomaniacs Scott and Charlie.

You forgot to mention what they did to John when the reunion started. They said that he is still Anthrax member, a part of the family and then... They deleted him from the official band site. It's a strange situation for me: first he is helping them when they don't have any vocalist, then he is helping them with the new material, and finally he is replaced with Belladonna... They want to earn more money this way or what?
11.05.2010 - 20:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@Chidder, yeah that too. That just shows how they treat their vocalists. All four were treated like shit. After album nr 1 Neil Turbin was treated like shit later on Joey was in order to make place for John and then John was in order to make place for Jeoy for the reunion tour, then Joey once again to make place for Dan Nelson and then Dan for John and now for Joey once again. SO, it is clear what will happen with Joey in the near futre as well..

And that is WHY I call Scott and Charlie idiots and morons.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.05.2010 - 20:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Incidentally, click here for a link to MetalSucks hosting of the clip from "That Metal Show", taped in January of this year, aired in March... where the panel, including Scott Ian and his wife, Meatloaf's Daughter debate Belladonna vs. Bush

video footage
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.05.2010 - 21:14
Winterthrone
@Marcel and Bittercold:

Yeah right, I'm not saying Scott and Charlie didn't make some apparently inconsistent decisions with their vocalists, but what we know of this stories is only the news that went out in the media. If all of you (and me) were in the immediate entourage of the band maybe we would have a different perspective on what happened to that band... I mean there is always more than one side to a story, I'm not sure Scott and Charlie fired people for no reason at all. My mother always told me: "It takes more than one person to make a fight!" . Labelling people as idiots and morons without knowing all the story behind, because none of us knows the full story even if some Metalstormers like to play Mr. Know-it-all, is really silly, inutile and vain. Wait and see, that's all I meant.
Oh and on Varg vikernes, I don't see how you can link his situation to what we are talking about, but there is a difference between being a psychopath and being an idiot and/or a moron...
11.05.2010 - 21:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
We all know what is coming. they'll eventually can Belladonna. the only thing of remotest consequence is whether or not they will complete "Worship Music" before or after they opt to do so.

as for "there is a reason" - we sure as all don't know. but if they invited the guy back into the band several times now (as has also been the case with Bush), my guess is it's nothing particularly significant.

as for the "more than one side to the story", yeah. and we're speculating the other half, as it's Charlie/Scott's versions that get the most run. Ian, in particular, has a history of publicly trashing the ousted members.

here's their line up history:

Line-up

Current members:

1981- Scott Ian - guitars edit
1983- Charlie Benante - drums edit
1984-2004 Frank Bello - bass edit
? 2005- -//- edit
2001-2005 Rob Caggiano - guitars edit
? 2007- -//- edit
1984-1992 Joey Belladonna - vocals edit
? 2005-2007 -//- edit
? 2010- -//- edit

Former musicians:

1981 Paul Kahn - bass
1981 Jason Rosenfeld - vocals
1981 John Connelly - vocals
1981 Dave Weiss - drums
1981 Kenny Kushner - guitars
1981 Dirk Kennedy - vocals
1981-1982 Greg Walls - guitars
1981-1983 Greg D'Angelo - drums
1981-1984 Dan Lilker - bass, guitars
1983-1984 Neil Turbin - vocals
1983-1995 Dan Spitz - guitars
? 2005-2007 -//- edit
1993-2005 John Bush - vocals
2007-2009 Dan Nelson - vocals

Tour musicians:
2004-2005 Joey Vera - bass
2009 John Bush - vocals

a pattern is pretty evident.

even discounting those musicians that never recorded an album with the band from back in the day (Nelson apparently did, or something...) there seems to be a noticeable trend.

while I am not Columbo, but it seems as if the duo fire people regularly routinely... only to discover that perhaps adequately replacing them is far more difficult than they anticipated. if the reasons for termination were that grievous, i have a hard time believing they would take them back.

i'd surmise that the personnel changes in the past 15 years, combined with the number of "best of/live/single/re-recording" (8 in all, to only 3 actual new) albums, indicate that the band has made several (bad) business moves that simply have failed to pay off. (i.e. bring Joey back to tour with them didn't yield the crowds the band drew in the 80's/early 90's... and simply alienated both vocalists to the point the band was left with none.)

as a long time fan of the band i feel perhaps more betrayed by their constant flux in members than by Metallica and Megadeth's sell-out cash grabs.
----

11.05.2010 - 21:58
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Personally, I think that they try to revive the dead corpse of their golden age, by taking Belladonna again. It did work (for a time, with this 2005 'reunion' tour)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
11.05.2010 - 22:34
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
HE'S THE MAN!
11.05.2010 - 23:18
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
God...is he in or out...in or out...so random...
----
rekt
11.05.2010 - 23:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 11.05.2010 at 23:18

God...is he in or out...in or out...so random...

Today he is in, tomorrow he is out again probably
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.05.2010 - 23:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Darkside Momo on 11.05.2010 at 21:58

Personally, I think that they try to revive the dead corpse of their golden age, by taking Belladonna again. It did work (for a time, with this 2005 'reunion' tour)

but it didn't. tix were not a hot item. and their re-hash albums from that point moved pitifully. someone on Blabbermouth noted that 4 of their releases from 2003-2005 combined didn't break 8000 total sold on the first week.

it was a failed attempt to drum up interest from an increasingly frustrated fan base.
----

11.05.2010 - 23:37
Jan
As I have understood it, the band was in serious discussion with Bush for a long time, but it apparently didn't pan out. I have read elsewhere that Bush wishes to concentrate on his familiy and therefore is not up for extensive touring etc.

John Bush is also my personal favourite Anthrax frontman - and like a lot of people I am not convinced that going back to Belladona is the right choice.

But hey - their band, their decision and they are the ones who will have to live with it - should it turn out to be good or bad.

Personally, I will wait and see what happens and judge them on the music they release and the concerts they throw.

This "now I hate Anthrax" bashing is silly IMHO.
11.05.2010 - 23:40
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 11.05.2010 at 23:26

Written by Darkside Momo on 11.05.2010 at 21:58

but it didn't. tix were not a hot item. and their re-hash albums from that point moved pitifully. someone on Blabbermouth noted that 4 of their releases from 2003-2005 combined didn't break 8000 total sold on the first week.

it was a failed attempt to drum up interest from an increasingly frustrated fan base.

I didn't know these numbers... But I'm pretty sure that the shows were welcomed warmly on the european fests.
Otherwise, I think we agree, the fact that they don't know what they want, and oust every singer then change their mind, then change again, is really disastrous for them in the long run.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
11.05.2010 - 23:45
Winterthrone
Written by Jan on 11.05.2010 at 23:37

As I have understood it, the band was in serious discussion with Bush for a long time, but it apparently didn't pan out. I have read elsewhere that Bush wishes to concentrate on his familiy and therefore is not up for extensive touring etc.

John Bush is also my personal favourite Anthrax frontman - and like a lot of people I am not convinced that going back to Belladona is the right choice.

But hey - their band, their decision and they are the ones who will have to live with it - should it turn out to be good or bad.

Personally, I will wait and see what happens and judge them on the music they release and the concerts they throw.

This "now I hate Anthrax" bashing is silly IMHO.

Finally someone who is rational...
12.05.2010 - 00:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I never said I hated Anthrax, I just hate the PERSONS Scott Ian and Charlie Benante for the way they treated and still treat all the other band members.
I have hated Anthrax's music after Among The Living except for Sound Of WHite Noise and Greater Of Two Evils.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.05.2010 - 00:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I am rational. i don't hate them. i just no longer care for them. while you might give a free pass to a decade of drama and petty bickering, i don't.

if they are more interested in a non-stop metal soap opera rather, that's their call.

i don't have to support them in it.

so you can state your support. i'll state my disgust. i would do so (and have done so) for other metal acts - so why shouldn't i hold a band i used to care for to the same standard.

you call me "irrational" or "silly", whatever. i have my own thoughts to people who clearly hold bands/musicians in such esteem they are willing to forgive any trespasses/failings as if they didn't happen. amusingly, "irrational" is one of the words i would use to describe that camp.
----

12.05.2010 - 00:23
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Nnnnice! i haven't really heard anything they played with Dan Nelson and a few songs with John Bush, but this is damn good news because imo Belladona is a great singer, even though Turbin was better(but i guess a reunion with Turbin is incredibly far-fetched)

now i'm really curious for the Sonisphere concert
12.05.2010 - 03:05
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.05.2010 at 19:33

I am 100% sure if anyone else posted what I posted they wopn't get warned either.

Scott and Charlie ARE pathetic, Dave Mustaine IS a megalomaniac (I still worship him though ), and Metallica aren't half the musicians they used to be (and their ego's are not exactly small either)...And yet I hate no band of the aforementioned...Well, maybe except Metallica a little, but that's because of them selling out, it has nothing to do with their flawed personalities

So let's wait and see what happens now...

On a side note, I see a potential Best Drama 2010 Nominee in embryo...

P.S. I absoultely lost respect for Jon Shaffer for dissing The Ripper when Barlow decided it'd be a good idea to reclaim some former glory...In fact, I think the guy is a complete jerk...
12.05.2010 - 03:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Metal Maiden on 12.05.2010 at 03:05

P.S. I absoultely lost respect for Jon Shaffer for dissing The Ripper when Barlow decided it'd be a good idea to reclaim some former glory...In fact, I think the guy is a complete jerk...

Totally agreed...

First he dissed Barlow and praised The Ripper to high heaven and then some time later he did the exact opposite. Shaffer is a jerk and somehow thinks he's brilliant, whereas the last brilliant or great thing he did was Something Wicked Comes This Way (which was IO think some 20th century thing) so that was more than ten years ago.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.05.2010 - 03:20
TUDOR666
Gay, You will be missed John Bush...you shit on Joey!!!
----
My one desire, my only wish is to be, EATEN!!!

Hits total: 5712 | This month: 7