Metal Storm logo
Helstar

Original post

Posted by Hellish Star, 12.08.2006 - 15:31
Well, no topic about Helstar so here we go...

This band is active since the early eighties and they released several brilliant albums like "Burning Star", "Remnants of war", "Distant Thunder" and "Nosferatu".

They play typical US power / thrash metal and they sound very progressive.You can even consdider them as the godfathers of this genre... James Rivera is the singer of the band and he has an outstanding voice, one of the best in the metal scène. Other bands he was a member of are Seven Witches, Destiny's End, Killing Machine, Vicious Rumors...

They were disbanded for many years but are active again and will release a new album. James Rivera will enter the studio with Helstar after his work with Vicious Rumors.

This band is far underrated and deserves much more respect.

Check them at www.helstar.com and if you like them, well try the topic about US metal because there's so much more out there.....
23.10.2008 - 01:30
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The new album is fucking great! The guitars don't seem as interesting as they used to be, but James' voice is perfect, and the high screams seem to come more often than before. My promo is fucking annoying though because it has 99 tracks, so every song is in about 11 parts. Of course there's no time delay, but if I want to hear a specific song I have to hit the skip button tons of times >:(

lol I love the song where they rhyme "necrophilia" with "memorabilia" hahahahah... oh wait, I remember typing that somewhere before... have I heard that song already? Is it their single? *brainfuck*

I still need to buy Sins of the Past
23.10.2008 - 19:56
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I finally listened to the new album and though it's good I actually prefer Sins Of The Past. The new one seems a little slower or something at least it doesn't grab me the same way SOTP did. James' vocals are better on the new one though
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
25.10.2008 - 13:49
Hellish Star
Written by GT on 23.10.2008 at 19:56

I finally listened to the new album and though it's good I actually prefer Sins Of The Past. The new one seems a little slower or something at least it doesn't grab me the same way SOTP did. James' vocals are better on the new one though

"Sins of the past" is a re-recording of classic songs..., logical that these songs take you by the throat
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
26.10.2008 - 00:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Pain Will Be Thy Name might be my favorite song of the year

BTW can anyone tell me if Multiples Of Black is good? I'm running out of download space
28.10.2008 - 11:06
Hellish Star
Written by Dangerboner on 26.10.2008 at 00:57

BTW can anyone tell me if Multiples Of Black is good? I'm running out of download space

It's not at all a bad album but to me it isn't as good as the rest. Nevertheless I would rate it 8/10
----

28.10.2008 - 11:59
Charly546

I think it's a quite bad album, there isn't much to listen to there. It's boring, uninspired, production is just flat out bad and even Riviera's vox isn't anything good. Few decent riffs and solos aren't what you'd expect from Helstar.

But then again, go and listen to it. Since you're downloading you can always shift+delete and pretend that it doesn't exists. That is if you don't like it.
28.10.2008 - 13:49
Hellish Star
Written by Charly546 on 28.10.2008 at 11:59

I think it's a quite bad album, there isn't much to listen to there. It's boring, uninspired, production is just flat out bad and even Riviera's vox isn't anything good. Few decent riffs and solos aren't what you'd expect from Helstar.

But then again, go and listen to it. Since you're downloading you can always shift+delete and pretend that it doesn't exists. That is if you don't like it.

It's not that bad at all but I agree with the production which was rather poor. Nevertheless this album contains awesome songs like "No second change", "Good day to die" and "Black silouette skies". I even know Metal heads who say this was Helstar's best album...
----

30.10.2008 - 23:30
In the asylum
Account deleted
I have Nosferatu and Distant thunder and i can say that they are american power metal masterpieces
24.02.2010 - 17:59
MeTalRea|istiK
Written by Guest on 30.10.2008 at 23:30

I have Nosferatu and Distant thunder and i can say that they are american power metal masterpieces

cant agree more with u dude..i hv whole discography of them..
24.02.2010 - 18:26
JÄY
Metal slave
I hope Im never baptized in blood tbh
08.11.2010 - 22:54
Hellish Star
Any thought about the new album? It's another masterpiece but Helstar became a Thrash band. Nevertheless I still a a number one fan!
----

11.11.2010 - 19:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
As soon as I get my Melechesh CD in the mail, I'll order the new Helstar. I heard it's faster and better than The King of Hell, which I really like, but some people have said that it all sounds a little samey. Anyways, I'm sure I'll love it whenever I hear it. Too bad I will most likely have to order it from Germany.
12.11.2010 - 03:19
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 11.11.2010 at 19:04

As soon as I get my Melechesh CD in the mail, I'll order the new Helstar. I heard it's faster and better than The King of Hell, which I really like, but some people have said that it all sounds a little samey. Anyways, I'm sure I'll love it whenever I hear it. Too bad I will most likely have to order it from Germany.
you are from US, they are from US, but you order from Germany...? How does that work?
----
loves 小巫
12.11.2010 - 03:25
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Their label is in Germany, I believe.
12.11.2010 - 17:52
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Hellish Star on 08.11.2010 at 22:54

Any thought about the new album? It's another masterpiece but Helstar became a Thrash band. Nevertheless I still a a number one fan!

Whatever it is its fantastic! Still sounds like the good old hybrid that is Thrash/Power to my ears. My favourite album so far this year.
12.11.2010 - 21:49
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Hellish Star on 08.11.2010 at 22:54

haha, I listened to it today and the first thing that came to mind was that it sounds even thrashier than the new Forbidden at times lol
----
loves 小巫
27.11.2010 - 04:03
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Well, I had to import the new Helstar of course, but it just arrived to today - and finally some thrash this year I can really enjoy. Quite an interesting shift from the last album; excellent work.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley