Metal Storm logo
Slipknot - Bassist Found Dead

According to desmoinesregister.com, police are investigating the death of Slipknot's bass guitarist Paul Gray at a local hotel.

They report:

"Paul Dedrick Gray, 38, of Johnston was found dead at approximately 10:50 a.m. today by an employee at TownePlace Suites, 8800 Northpark Drive, police said.

There was no evidence of foul play, police said, but the investigation is ongoing. An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday. Toxicology tests will be done."

Paul Gray and his wife were expecting a child, according to friends of Gray's. Gray had a history of drug abuse and was arrested on drug charges in June 2003.

Source: desmoinesregister.com
Band profile: Slipknot
Posted: 25.05.2010 by Baz Anderson

Comments page 2 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 107   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 829 users
25.05.2010 - 03:39
brapp32
I'm really confused by deaths shadow. You don't like shitty nu-metal and metalcore but you have 36 crazyfists as one of your favorites. As much as I like 36 crazyfists you do realize people consider them nu-metal/metalcore. Then u list all the bands you've seen live and alot of them are metalcore.
25.05.2010 - 03:44
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Written by brapp32 on 25.05.2010 at 03:39

I'm really confused by deaths shadow. You don't like shitty nu-metal and metalcore but you have 36 crazyfists as one of your favorites. As much as I like 36 crazyfists you do realize people consider them nu-metal/metalcore. Then u list all the bands you've seen live and alot of them are metalcore.

Yes, i love 36 crazyfists, one of my favorite bands. But that doesn't change the fact that i dont think they shouldn't be featured on this site, just like slipknot. I don't have a problem with ppl liking metalcore/ nu-metal bands, bc hell, i like some too; i just don't think they have a place on this website. As far as seeing metalcore bands live, wasn't really my choice they just happened to be at festivals I went to/ friends wanted me to go with them, etc.
25.05.2010 - 03:48
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Written by Guest on 25.05.2010 at 03:19

Written by Sepulchre on 25.05.2010 at 03:14

Written by Guest on 25.05.2010 at 03:05

Written by Sepulchre on 25.05.2010 at 02:35

I dont mean any disrespect, but how the hell is this "metal" news?

Because Slipknot are a metal band. I would have thought you'd have to be fairly dense not to realise that. You're not dense are you?

Its just that a year ago this site did not include shit music like nu-metal, metalcore etc. And now-a-days all i see are bands being added like, trivium, killswitch engage, sliptknot, etc. Its just kind of annoying since thats the reason i like this site.

You only see nu metal and metalcore bands being added? Are you sure that's the case or is your own prejudice blinding you to everything else? Anyway lets not get into a debate on this thread (or ever) but for the record Slipknot are a good band, excluding their last album. And if you don't like Killswitch's Alive or Just Breathing album then there's something very wrong with you.

Whether or not a band is good or not is not the discussion here, thats all opinion, its what genre they are. the reason metalcore/nu-metal bands didn't used to be added on this site was so that it did not turn into every other similar website out there flooded with only discussion about mainstream bands. As far as me not liking Alive or Just Breathing and "having something very wrong with me", i could say the same for u liking the album. Its an opinion genious.
25.05.2010 - 03:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Sepulchre on 25.05.2010 at 03:44

Written by brapp32 on 25.05.2010 at 03:39

Yes, i love 36 crazyfists, one of my favorite bands. But that doesn't change the fact that i dont think they should be featured on this site, just like slipknot. I don't have a problem with ppl liking metalcore/ nu-metal bands, bc hell, i like some too; i just don't think they have a place on this website. As far as seeing metalcore bands live, wasn't really my choice they just happened to be at festivals I went to/ friends wanted me to go with them, etc.

How on earth can you be so offended by a ten by fifty pixel sized title mentioning a nu metal band? And why does it bother you so much to have a few nu metal bands (which are metal no matter how much one might cry about it) included in a database of thousands of other bands of varying styles of metal? You don't actually have to click on the links leading to them. It just seems like a case of stigma ruling and dictating someone's life.

And I'm not the "genius" here, that title clearly belongs to the person that generalises an entire subset of music as "shit"
25.05.2010 - 04:07
Mr.Wilson
Written by Sepulchre on 25.05.2010 at 02:35

I dont mean any disrespect, but how the hell is this "metal" news?

Man this site is called METAlstorm not Death Metalstorm or Doom metalstorm, so....
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
25.05.2010 - 04:10
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Oh man, and May isn't over yet, this will get worse guys... my birthday is this Friday

And you know the worst part, maybe this will get more coverage than Dio's death
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
25.05.2010 - 04:16
brapp32
So if you like some nu-metal/metalcore bands why would you call them shitty??
25.05.2010 - 04:20
brapp32
Who cares what gets more coverage it sucks that there all dead. They all had an impact on someones life and it's kind of rediculous that it would matter if one got more coverage then the next.
25.05.2010 - 04:28
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Damn... that sucks... again...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.05.2010 - 04:41
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Daggon on 25.05.2010 at 04:10

Yeah.. that's really a problem who deserves all our concern...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.05.2010 - 05:04
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Uirapuru on 25.05.2010 at 04:41

Written by Daggon on 25.05.2010 at 04:10

Yeah.. that's really a problem who deserves all our concern...

Nah, don't need to be sarcastic, I mean, someone's death is a terrible thing, but really, who's this guy? I mean, did he change the world of heavy metal music or something, did he leave any influence in this genre? I don't think so, and if he did, it won't be as big as the influence of people like Dio or Peter "Steele" who also died this month, still, this news will get more coverage because of the hordes of silly fanboys of the band, oh well, I don't mean to have no respect for someone who is dead so, R.I.P. Slipknot's bassist, whatever your name is...
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
25.05.2010 - 05:17
marzepka87
This isnt a huge loss for metal, but it is still tragic since it is another life lost in this month of May, RIP. Worst month ever!
25.05.2010 - 05:46
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Condolences to the Slipknot fans....
----
25.05.2010 - 06:09
selken
Irreligious
Please dudes respect the dead guy, there are forums to discuss whether this or that band is metal...

RIP
----
25.05.2010 - 07:22
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
I don't like Slipknot, but regardless RIP.
25.05.2010 - 07:55
P_MerLiN_P
Bye paul
25.05.2010 - 07:58
BudDa
Elite
RIP!
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
25.05.2010 - 08:13
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
,, its the BLACK MAY dudes .. i dono wut else can come in the next few days ..

RIP PAUL ,, Take our greetings to DIO ..
25.05.2010 - 09:41
Mikyz
Even though I'm not a fan at all, I sincerely hope you R.I.P Paul, even if I have no idea what your face looks like.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
25.05.2010 - 09:46
Øyvind
Grave Digger
R.I.P. Paul Gray, people please stop dying, at least for some time
----
25.05.2010 - 10:10
.Sound
May Metal Massacre Month continues.. May you rest in peace Paul Gray.
25.05.2010 - 10:35
Damnated_Soul
Oh God :O
25.05.2010 - 10:47
Umideath
Oh , Stop Dying :!!!!
----
My Top 90 Metal Albums Of 2023 - Part 2 >> https://youtu.be/6Yi7zV9Xo58 - Part 1
https://youtu.be/8F0E_CAfmMM
25.05.2010 - 11:25
SexyCat_1113
OMG...:(
25.05.2010 - 11:32
RafaRata
So sad... I love Slipknot
R.I.P. Paul Gray.
25.05.2010 - 11:46
CheaTer
R.I.P.
25.05.2010 - 12:10
Slayer666
What the heck is going on here?
Omfg, May 2010 truly is a metal slaughterfest. Am I the only one who thinks this may not be a coincidence?
R.I.P. Paul, I'm glad I at least got a chance to see you live.
25.05.2010 - 12:13
Slyfang
Well the guy was pretty hard on drugs
25.05.2010 - 12:37
MrSeveN
R.I.P Paul & Thanks for your Amazing Music... we will never forget you <3
25.05.2010 - 12:41
Met@1lurg
I'm not interesting in Slipknot, i don't like their masks, but death of musician is sadness...

Hits total: 11500 | This month: 21