Metal Storm logo
Special characters in review previews when going back to editing.

‹‹ Back to Bugs
25.05.2010 - 15:13
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I've just posted my first concert review and noticed a bug with the preview/editing page. Special characters such as the Å in Åkerfeld are previewed correctly once, but if you then go back to the editing page they get transformed to something like this: Ã?��Ã?¯Ã?¿Ã?½Ã?�Ã?¯Ã?�Ã?¿Ã?�Ã?½

Each time you go to preview and back to editing then, this string is appended to itself, resulting in long lines of that weird stuff. I'm guessing it's a conversion problem in PHP. My system is an utf8 system and firefox' page info of Metalstorm shows it's advertising utf8.
I've also tried using the html equivalents of those characters but without luck. Actually it's interesting that the system reacts the exact same way to those. I've now submitted the review using html chars with a note about this in the comments. Maybe you see more there than I do. Since everywhere else on the page it obviously works.
----
26.05.2010 - 00:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by corrupt on 25.05.2010 at 15:13

This is sort of what I was talking to you about in the shoutbox a few days ago. Sometimes the special characters appear as they are (Å in Åkerfeld), but other times they make those other weird symbols written above. It also happened to me during my previewing of my latest Svart review.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.05.2010 - 00:55
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.05.2010 at 00:25

This is sort of what I was talking to you about in the shoutbox a few days ago. Sometimes the special characters appear as they are (Å in Åkerfeld), but other times they make those other weird symbols written above. It also happened to me during my previewing of my latest Svart review.

That time in the shoutbox I could see your special characters when you said you didn't. That's why I thought the problem was on your clientside. This is in fact the only situation on MS where I've seen this. And the only other time I've come across this was when using a poorly configured PHP in Apache on one of my own servers. Hence my suspicion the mistake lies somewhere there.
----
26.05.2010 - 01:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Ivor and/or Ivan would know more about it. You should send them a dual-PM about it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.05.2010 - 01:10
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.05.2010 at 01:00

Ivor and/or Ivan would know more about it. You should send them a dual-PM about it.

Most of my PM's to staffers were ignored so far. I guess if they're interested they will look into it.
----
26.05.2010 - 01:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by corrupt on 26.05.2010 at 01:10

Most of my PM's to staffers were ignored so far. I guess if they're interested they will look into it.

"Ignoring it" is usually a fancy way of getting back to it later.
----
26.05.2010 - 10:27
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite

Really? Well, for time-consuming ideas, it's usually better to open a topic about it (like you did here.) I can't speak for the other Staff members, but most of my visits are rather quick and just checking through everything. If I receive a PM I'll read, but I can't always deal with it straight away. And at a later visit, when the "1pm" message has disappeared, I might forget about it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.05.2010 - 10:39
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Lucas on 26.05.2010 at 10:27

Really? Well, for time-consuming ideas, it's usually better to open a topic about it (like you did here.) I can't speak for the other Staff members, but most of my visits are rather quick and just checking through everything. If I receive a PM I'll read, but I can't always deal with it straight away. And at a later visit, when the "1pm" message has disappeared, I might forget about it.

In that case I would say you either need a bigger staff or some sort of to-do list in the staff backend. I didn't mean to complain about that btw, It's just, as you said, why I opened a thread about the character issue in favor of sending am PM to one of the site scripters. If my review gets accepted I hope the editor drops a few lines about whether he had the same problems with it. In the worst case it's one edit after it gets published. But still annoying.
----
26.05.2010 - 15:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Oh cool, good to know I'm not going insane. Earlier today I typed the band name, Mgla, and there was a tiny superscripted 3 instead of an l. I was really, really confused lol
13.06.2010 - 16:55
Ragana
Rawrcat
The same thing is happening with personal messages now. Hopefully it's not for long although lately MS seems to dislike these special characters more than ever...
19.10.2010 - 08:04
csiga
Munin
When i want to edit these spec characters õ, û (maybe gaulish or lithuanian characters) for hungarians õ, û the system acccept it, but nothing change. i tried to edit Moby Dick albums.
----

i survived the lake bodom!