Metal Storm logo
Dragon Quest

14.08.2006 - 08:50
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Ah yes the ultimate RPG (next to D&D of course).Dragon Quest was released in America as Dragon Warrior up until the 8th installment of the series.It was the first console RPG and Final Fantasy took great influence (Nobuo Uematsu even cites Koichi Sugiyama as an influence).The day these games are released are even holidays in Japan so kids wont skip school.I personally think Dragon Quest is better than Final Fantasy because lets face it,the last few FF games have completely sucked (last good one was 9).Every Dragon Quest game came to America except 5 and 6 which are both great games and I have beaten them both haha.Tell me what you think of this truly great RPG series that I title as the greatest console RPG series of all time.
14.08.2006 - 13:59
AntaeusM
Elite
Just a few weeks ago I got my hands on Dragon Quest VIII. I think this game is amazing.

The last few years we have seen many "experimental" rpgs, or just bad rpgs. Experimental ones such as Suikoden IV or Arc the Lad Generation, and bad ones such as Tales of Legendia and Final Fantasy X-2. Dragon Quest answered to this by releasing a VERY cliché rpg, but because it is cliché it is refreshing.

The whole set up of the game is exactly like a Snes rpg. You visit a city and there is a problem in this city. You help the city. When that task is done you go to the next city etc. On your path you meet new characters etc. I just simply love this, made me feel nostalgic about the old times, and glad that there are still games who follow this formula.

I haven't finished Dragon Quest VIII yet. I just received my boat(another cliché haha..). but I can't wait to see what will happen next in the game

About the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest comparison. I don't know, since I haven't played any other Dragon Quest games besides VIII. but as far as I can compare. Final Fantasy VII is better, but all the other Final Fantasies are less good than Dragon Quest VIII.
21.08.2006 - 21:48
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by AntaeusM on 14.08.2006 at 13:59

Just a few weeks ago I got my hands on Dragon Quest VIII. I think this game is amazing.

The last few years we have seen many "experimental" rpgs, or just bad rpgs. Experimental ones such as Suikoden IV or Arc the Lad Generation, and bad ones such as Tales of Legendia and Final Fantasy X-2. Dragon Quest answered to this by releasing a VERY cliché rpg, but because it is cliché it is refreshing.

The whole set up of the game is exactly like a Snes rpg. You visit a city and there is a problem in this city. You help the city. When that task is done you go to the next city etc. On your path you meet new characters etc. I just simply love this, made me feel nostalgic about the old times, and glad that there are still games who follow this formula.

I haven't finished Dragon Quest VIII yet. I just received my boat(another cliché haha..). but I can't wait to see what will happen next in the game

About the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest comparison. I don't know, since I haven't played any other Dragon Quest games besides VIII. but as far as I can compare. Final Fantasy VII is better, but all the other Final Fantasies are less good than Dragon Quest VIII.

I must say FF VII isnt even one of the best FF's,try playing V,IX,VI,III,I.I think all of those are better than FF VII.And as far as DQ being cliche,think again haha it started before FF,in fact Final Fantasy got most of its influence from Dragon Quest.It was the first console RPG.I suggest getting your hands on each and every Dragon Quest game,you wont regret it.
23.08.2006 - 02:37
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by [user id=823] on 21.08.2006 at 21:48

I must say FF VII isnt even one of the best FF's,try playing V,IX,VI,III,I.I think all of those are better than FF VII.And as far as DQ being cliche,think again haha it started before FF,in fact Final Fantasy got most of its influence from DragonQuest.It was the first console RPG.I suggest getting your hands on each and every DragonQuest game,you wont regret it.

I have played all the Final Fantasies up to FF X, and I think FF VII is the best. It had a revolutionary storyline. I have played the others, but they weren't much better compared with other Snes rpgs. They failed at certain points. Games like Lufia or Breath of Fire outmatched the old Final Fantasy games for me, and maybe the Dragon Warrior games too. Don't have the change to play them because they weren't released in Europe, but I have heard Dragon Warrior had an enormous influence on most of the Snes rpgs.

That is not what I meant. It's great Dragon Quest VIII still use the same old formula. Because it is just the best formula for a Japanese rpg. I was glad when I was playing it. It is cliché, but in a positive way. I know Dragon Warrior/Quest started this, but they didn't decide to change Dragon Quest VIII. They still used the same cliché thingies, and that was just great

By the way, what do you think of the level up system? That is the only complain I have about this game. The only possible way to level up fast is to beat metal slimes(or gold golems for money). It took me 8 hours of level upping before I could beat Dhoulmagus. That is pretty long IMO(but fun of course )
23.08.2006 - 06:51
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by AntaeusM on 23.08.2006 at 02:37

Written by [user id=823] on 21.08.2006 at 21:48

I must say FF VII isnt even one of the best FF's,try playing V,IX,VI,III,I.I think all of those are better than FF VII.And as far as DQ being cliche,think again haha it started before FF,in fact Final Fantasy got most of its influence from Dragon Quest.It was the first console RPG.I suggest getting your hands on each and every Dragon Quest game,you wont regret it.

I have played all the Final Fantasies up to FF X, and I think FF VII is the best. It had a revolutionary storyline. I have played the others, but they weren't much better compared with other Snes rpgs. They failed at certain points. Games like Lufia or Breath of Fire outmatched the old Final Fantasy games for me, and maybe the Dragon Warrior games too. Don't have the change to play them because they weren't released in Europe, but I have heard Dragon Warrior had an enormous influence on most of the Snes rpgs.

That is not what I meant. It's great Dragon Quest VIII still use the same old formula. Because it is just the best formula for a Japanese rpg. I was glad when I was playing it. It is cliché, but in a positive way. I know Dragon Warrior/Quest started this, but they didn't decide to change Dragon Quest VIII. They still used the same cliché thingies, and that was just great

By the way, what do you think of the level up system? That is the only complain I have about this game. The only possible way to level up fast is to beat metal slimes(or gold golems for money). It took me 8 hours of level upping before I could beat Dhoulmagus. That is pretty long IMO(but fun of course )

The Dragon Quest games are known for being notoriously hard to level up in.Its definitely worth the time though.One thing I didnt like about DQ VIII is that you didnt stay in a town long enough,you did one thing,and that was it.If you can I strongly suggest somehow getting a hold of DQ VII,you wont regret it.Also on the FF subject,I think FF V,while not my favorite is however the best story wise and gameplay wise,I mean that game is made so perfectly.III doesnt get to character in depth but still fun as hell.VI was just flat out easy.Its odd that youve played every FF and consider FF VII the best,I hope your just not following a crowd!
23.08.2006 - 17:57
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by [user id=823] on 23.08.2006 at 06:51

The DragonQuest games are known for being notoriously hard to level up in.Its definitely worth the time though.One thing I didnt like about DQ VIII is that you didnt stay in a town long enough,you did one thing,and that was it.If you can I strongly suggest somehow getting a hold of DQ VII,you wont regret it.Also on the FF subject,I think FF V,while not my favorite is however the best story wise and gameplay wise,I mean that game is made so perfectly.III doesnt get to character in depth but still fun as hell.VI was just flat out easy.Its odd that youve played every FF and consider FF VII the best,I hope your just not following a crowd!

Nah, it became so repetitive to beat normal monsters. It was too slow. It took me 8 hours with metal slimes and gold golems, I cannot imagine how long it would take me without them(I think around 24 hours). A whole day of level upping is just too much Oh I like that. Because that is so..Super Nintendo It's old-school, and personally I really like it. Besides, in Dragon Quest VIII you have to return to certain cities so now and then(Pickham, Argontia(sp?). Has DQ VII been released in the US/Europe? Since Dragon Quest VIII was the first Dragon Quest game that was released in Europe.

The storyline of FF V didn't really do it for me. It was too standard. There are better versions of this type of storyline. III had a great battle system, but the storyline wasn't really that great either. Why is that odd? Final Fantasy VII IS the best Final Fantasy. It had so much influences on other rpgs. Thanks to Final Fantasy VII it is a must to have side-quests in your game, Final Fantasy VII made it a must to make a strong storyline. It entirely changed the Japanese rpgs, so I am not following the crowd. I am pretty sure it is the best Final Fantasy game. By the way, I don't think you want to believe this, but FF X had a large influence on nowadays character design, same for FF VII. So even when you think they aren't that good, you should remember their influences are huge.
26.08.2006 - 23:23
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by AntaeusM on 23.08.2006 at 17:57

Written by [user id=823] on 23.08.2006 at 06:51

The DragonQuest games are known for being notoriously hard to level up in.Its definitely worth the time though.One thing I didnt like about DQ VIII is that you didnt stay in a town long enough,you did one thing,and that was it.If you can I strongly suggest somehow getting a hold of DQ VII,you wont regret it.Also on the FF subject,I think FF V,while not my favorite is however the best story wise and gameplay wise,I mean that game is made so perfectly.III doesnt get to character in depth but still fun as hell.VI was just flat out easy.Its odd that youve played every FF and consider FF VII the best,I hope your just not following a crowd!

Nah, it became so repetitive to beat normal monsters. It was too slow. It took me 8 hours with metal slimes and gold golems, I cannot imagine how long it would take me without them(I think around 24 hours). A whole day of level upping is just too much Oh I like that. Because that is so..Super Nintendo It's old-school, and personally I really like it. Besides, in Dragon Quest VIII you have to return to certain cities so now and then(Pickham, Argontia(sp?). Has DQ VII been released in the US/Europe? Since Dragon Quest VIII was the first Dragon Quest game that was released in Europe.

The storyline of FF V didn't really do it for me. It was too standard. There are better versions of this type of storyline. III had a great battle system, but the storyline wasn't really that great either. Why is that odd? Final Fantasy VII IS the best Final Fantasy. It had so much influences on other rpgs. Thanks to Final Fantasy VII it is a must to have side-quests in your game, Final Fantasy VII made it a must to make a strong storyline. It entirely changed the Japanese rpgs, so I am not following the crowd. I am pretty sure it is the best Final Fantasy game. By the way, I don't think you want to believe this, but FF X had a large influence on nowadays character design, same for FF VII. So even when you think they aren't that good, you should remember their influences are huge.

This will completely shock you but have you ever noticed how FF 5 and FF 7's storyline are very similar.Meteor and the X Zone hmmm not very original there.I am also quite shocked how you are so sure of FF 7 being the best FF,that is a matter of opinion of my friend.It was also the most hyped up one and I am not convinced you are not following a crowd sorry to say.Also DQ 7 has been released in the US,and I can only encourage you to buy it,if you so please,it will be worth it.It is long and it times hard,but so far probably the funnest and best rpg video game I have ever played.It is so majestic.DQ games sure know how to make you feel like a hero.Just so you know,the most influential rpg series is without a doubt DragonQuest,the game influenced almost every rpg series.I must also add one reason I dislike FF 7 (I love the game,not the people who play it),it is by many considered the best only because it was the most hyped about,and had the most commercial attention.Simply a money maker.I have played every Final Fantasy,know every story,beaten every boss,I have done it all.This game is very overrated by the fans,much like 10 (which is the second most popular games in the series,only because of the graphics,not the story,which is something people take for granted.I completely respect your opinion but alas im sorry,I still am not convinced you are not following a crowd.Also out of randomness,do you play Dungeons and Dragons?
26.08.2006 - 23:45
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by [user id=823] on 26.08.2006 at 23:23

This will completely shock you but have you ever noticed how FF 5 and FF 7's storyline are very similar.Meteor and the X Zone hmmm not very original there.I am also quite shocked how you are so sure of FF 7 being the best FF,that is a matter of opinion of my friend.It was also the most hyped up one and I am not convinced you are not following a crowd sorry to say.Also DQ 7 has been released in the US,and I can only encourage you to buy it,if you so please,it will be worth it.It is long and it times hard,but so far probably the funnest and best rpg video game I have ever played.It is so majestic.DQ games sure know how to make you feel like a hero.Just so you know,the most influential rpg series is without a doubt DragonQuest,the game influenced almost every rpg series.I must also add one reason I dislike FF 7 (I love the game,not the people who play it),it is by many considered the best only because it was the most hyped about,and had the most commercial attention.Simply a money maker.I have played every Final Fantasy,know every story,beaten every boss,I have done it all.This game is very overrated by the fans,much like 10 (which is the second most popular games in the series,only because of the graphics,not the story,which is something people take for granted.I completely respect your opinion but alas im sorry,I still am not convinced you are not following a crowd.Also out of randomness,do you play Dungeons and Dragons?

Well, I find it a bit stupid to say I follow the crowd, so when someone thinks FF VII is a good game than he/she is following the crowd? I have played MANY rpgs, so I have all the right in the world to say what I think about FF VII. Actually, I could also say you just try to sound like some die-hard rpg gamer, because it is quite trendy to bash the newer Final Fantasies game. For the record, you know the PS1 and PS2 probably never had much rpg games if FF VII was never released? That game SAVED the PS1 and also the rpg genre. At least, I don't want to think about rpgs on the Nintendo 64.

Why would you hate the people who play it? a large amount of the Dragon Quest players also play Final Fantasy VII, so you automatically hate a lot of the Dragon Quest gamers too? I will give Dragon Quest VII a try, I am pretty sure it will be an excellent game.

About Final Fantasy X. The game IS quite bad, but it did have a big influence. Mainly in the character design. Characters like Tidus, Auron, and Wakka has been copied quite a lot of times. Mainly in games such as Arc the Lad and Baten Kaitos. Also, Final Fantasy X started a trend what I really don't like, which is the linear system of a rpg. Games such as Suikoden IV and Tales of Legendia has the same type of narration.

Dragon Quest did influence many games, but Dragon Quest VII and VIII aren't really that influental. On the Snes there was a certain rush of many "standard rpgs"(Breath of Fire, Lufia etc.). These games were heavily influenced by Dragon Warrior. Actually, some fans even completely ignored these games because they called them "simply copies" of Dragon Warrior. It isn't really true, since those games are all gems on their own.

Well, I know what Dungeons and Dragons is, but next to no one plays that in my region, so I never had the chance to play the game with others, I can figure why you asked that, but I will just be silent about the reason why you asked that question.
27.08.2006 - 10:07
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by AntaeusM on 26.08.2006 at 23:45

Written by [user id=823] on 26.08.2006 at 23:23

Well, I find it a bit stupid to say I follow the crowd, so when someone thinks FF VII is a good game than he/she is following the crowd? I have played MANY rpgs, so I have all the right in the world to say what I think about FF VII. Actually, I could also say you just try to sound like some die-hard rpg gamer, because it is quite trendy to bash the newer Final Fantasies game. For the record, you know the PS1 and PS2 probably never had much rpg games if FF VII was never released? That game SAVED the PS1 and also the rpg genre. At least, I don't want to think about rpgs on the Nintendo 64.

Why would you hate the people who play it? a large amount of the Dragon Quest players also play Final Fantasy VII, so you automatically hate a lot of the Dragon Quest gamers too? I will give Dragon Quest VII a try, I am pretty sure it will be an excellent game.

About Final Fantasy X. The game IS quite bad, but it did have a big influence. Mainly in the character design. Characters like Tidus, Auron, and Wakka has been copied quite a lot of times. Mainly in games such as Arc the Lad and Baten Kaitos. Also, Final Fantasy X started a trend what I really don't like, which is the linear system of a rpg. Games such as Suikoden IV and Tales of Legendia has the same type of narration.

Dragon Quest did influence many games, but Dragon Quest VII and VIII aren't really that influental. On the Snes there was a certain rush of many "standard rpgs"(Breath of Fire, Lufia etc.). These games were heavily influenced by Dragon Warrior. Actually, some fans even completely ignored these games because they called them "simply copies" of Dragon Warrior. It isn't really true, since those games are all gems on their own.

Well, I know what Dungeons and Dragons is, but next to no one plays that in my region, so I never had the chance to play the game with others, I can figure why you asked that, but I will just be silent about the reason why you asked that question.

DragonQuest VII not influential? That is a joke haha.A very influential game.Also I am playing Breath of Fire again at the moment and it is very much like DragonQuest.The weakest enemy in the game is a slime in BoF,coincidence? I think not.And also your claim about me hating many DragonQuest gamers or whatever,your just spewing senseless crap.What I meant was you never really explained why you felt FF 7 was the greatest,and I dont wanna hear because it had a revolutionary storyline,cause many games have.And I advise you dont speak on behalf of DragonQuest seeing as you have only played VII.Yes,I know the D&D question was random,but your telling me you've never heard of it?If thats the case,i dont know how you can call yourself an rpg fan....Like I said,I know it was random,but it was out of curiousity seeing as you seem to be an a huge rpg gamer.Also your speaking of influence on stuff is completely irrevalent,anything FFX did was bound to happen.I also think,that you are thinking that I hate FF VII,because I dont.The game is great,but to me is not as great as everyone makes it seem.I've beaten the game about 5 or 6 times through,and some parts are just absolutely unecessary (remember the part with Zack?).It may seem like im bashing you liking FF VII but im not.I'm just sick of everyone sayings its the great FF,and yet theyve only played 7,8,and 10.So please go into more detail why FF VII is your fav,Im just curious thats all.
27.08.2006 - 14:24
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by [user id=823] on 27.08.2006 at 10:07

DragonQuest VII not influential? That is a joke haha.A very influential game.Also I am playing Breath of Fire again at the moment and it is very much like DragonQuest.The weakest enemy in the game is a slime in BoF,coincidence? I think not.And also your claim about me hating many DragonQuest gamers or whatever,your just spewing senseless crap.What I meant was you never really explained why you felt FF 7 was the greatest,and I dont wanna hear because it had a revolutionary storyline,cause many games have.And I advise you dont speak on behalf of DragonQuest seeing as you have only played VII.Yes,I know the D&D question was random,but your telling me you've never heard of it?If thats the case,i dont know how you can call yourself an rpg fan....Like I said,I know it was random,but it was out of curiousity seeing as you seem to be an a huge rpg gamer.Also your speaking of influence on stuff is completely irrevalent,anything FFX did was bound to happen.I also think,that you are thinking that I hate FF VII,because I dont.The game is great,but to me is not as great as everyone makes it seem.I've beaten the game about 5 or 6 times through,and some parts are just absolutely unecessary (remember the part with Zack?).It may seem like im bashing you liking FF VII but im not.I'm just sick of everyone sayings its the great FF,and yet theyve only played 7,8,and 10.So please go into more detail why FF VII is your fav,Im just curious thats all.

I said not that influential. Sure it had some influence, but not much compared with the influence that Dragon Quest/Warrior had in the past. Yes, they also say Breath of Fire is a Dragon Warrior clone. In my opinion, it is, but they also added a lot of new things, it isn't like Capcom made a second Dragon Warrior, they also added new things. And just as in music, it is unavoidable that a lot of games are copies of other games. Being unique is difficult.

My point was that it is just kinda stupid to hate people just because they like FF VII.

Yes, that's why you asked, and I can only say. You don't know me. (normally) I spend everyday around 8 hours or more on a video console playing rpg games.

Why is it irrelevant? Can you proof that I am wrong? Because for now I am pretty sure I am right, Final Fantasy X had influence on the upcoming releases of video games.

Ok, here is my detailed explanation why I like Final Fantasy VII. For the other users: warning, my contain spoilers.
I will begin with the materia system, I could easily spend hours just experimenting with this system. There were so many possibilities, so many different ways to set up your characters. It also took a long time to master it, even after completing the game, there was still so many things that wasn't discovered about the materia system, which give you another 20 hours of side-quest fun. Yes, Final Fantasy VII was one of the first games with A LOT of side-quests. Many rpg games suffer the problem that as soon as you completed the game the game become unplayable because there is nothing to do. However, FF VII could keep you entertained for another 150 hours with just side-quests. The two weapons(Emerald & Ruby) were the perfect bosses to challenge your skills. Zack's side-quest was also good, because it gave you good background information aboud Zack and Aeris, which was very interesting to know.

The storyline is probably the main reason why I love this game. You could really feel the pain that Cloud was facing. They completely failed this in FF VIII and slightly in FFX, but they did this very well in FFVII. Cloud had problems. And then what about the scene that Aeris get killed. It made so many gamers cry when they were playing the game. That scene was that powerful. It is funny, even scientists did research why people cried while playing this game. Haha. Anyway, at the end of the game you really hate Sephiroth with a pure passion, so the final battle was just so epic, you really feel like you were fighting for the planet, and for Aeris. This involvement in a game, that makes it great. Not many rpg games can do that. Including the earlier Final Fantasies, they didn't have this much involvement with the characters of the game.

The influence was so big of this game. For example, the PS1 hardly had any rpgs. If I remember correctly only Breath of Fire III and Suikoden I has been released before Final Fantasy VII. After Final Fantasy VII was released many rpg gamers bought a PS1 just for that game. As a response to that many companies started to make rpg games for the PS1. The playstation became the new "rpg console". Of course, the "fight" between Nintendo and Squaresoft also had it influence on this, but it is mainly thanks to Final Fantasy VII that so many rpg gamers bought the PS1.

Final Fantasy VII made it almost a must to have side-quests in your game. Because otherwise fans should quickly compare it with FF VII and say the game is less good because it lacks side-quests. Actually, Lufia II was the first rpg released in the western world(or actually, in Europe) with side-quests, so FF VII kinda stole it from that game. Nowadays there are many copies of characters from Final Fantasy VII. For example, Marsha from Arc the Lad III is a copy of Aeris. Velmont(Arc the Lad III), Ramirez(Skies of Arcadia), Alucard(Castlevania),many manga/anime characters, they all share their similarities with Sephiroth. FF VII set a new standard for the rpg genre. If a game was below this standard then it just wouldn't sell well and it would be slaughtered by reviewers.

And one last thing, it is kinda funny I have to "proof" myself by knowing Dungeons and Dragons, can't you just read my opinion and accept it as an opinion, instead that I first have to proof myself that I am knowledgeable enough to have such opinion?
29.08.2006 - 04:30
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by AntaeusM on 27.08.2006 at 14:24

Written by [user id=823] on 27.08.2006 at 10:07

I said not that influential. Sure it had some influence, but not much compared with the influence that Dragon Quest/Warrior had in the past. Yes, they also say Breath of Fire is a Dragon Warrior clone. In my opinion, it is, but they also added a lot of new things, it isn't like Capcom made a second Dragon Warrior, they also added new things. And just as in music, it is unavoidable that a lot of games are copies of other games. Being unique is difficult.

My point was that it is just kinda stupid to hate people just because they like FF VII.

Yes, that's why you asked, and I can only say. You don't know me. (normally) I spend everyday around 8 hours or more on a video console playing rpg games.

Why is it irrelevant? Can you proof that I am wrong? Because for now I am pretty sure I am right, Final Fantasy X had influence on the upcoming releases of video games.

Ok, here is my detailed explanation why I like Final Fantasy VII. For the other users: warning, my contain spoilers.
I will begin with the materia system, I could easily spend hours just experimenting with this system. There were so many possibilities, so many different ways to set up your characters. It also took a long time to master it, even after completing the game, there was still so many things that wasn't discovered about the materia system, which give you another 20 hours of side-quest fun. Yes, Final Fantasy VII was one of the first games with A LOT of side-quests. Many rpg games suffer the problem that as soon as you completed the game the game become unplayable because there is nothing to do. However, FF VII could keep you entertained for another 150 hours with just side-quests. The two weapons(Emerald & Ruby) were the perfect bosses to challenge your skills. Zack's side-quest was also good, because it gave you good background information aboud Zack and Aeris, which was very interesting to know.

The storyline is probably the main reason why I love this game. You could really feel the pain that Cloud was facing. They completely failed this in FF VIII and slightly in FFX, but they did this very well in FFVII. Cloud had problems. And then what about the scene that Aeris get killed. It made so many gamers cry when they were playing the game. That scene was that powerful. It is funny, even scientists did research why people cried while playing this game. Haha. Anyway, at the end of the game you really hate Sephiroth with a pure passion, so the final battle was just so epic, you really feel like you were fighting for the planet, and for Aeris. This involvement in a game, that makes it great. Not many rpg games can do that. Including the earlier Final Fantasies, they didn't have this much involvement with the characters of the game.

The influence was so big of this game. For example, the PS1 hardly had any rpgs. If I remember correctly only Breath of Fire III and Suikoden I has been released before Final Fantasy VII. After Final Fantasy VII was released many rpg gamers bought a PS1 just for that game. As a response to that many companies started to make rpg games for the PS1. The playstation became the new "rpg console". Of course, the "fight" between Nintendo and Squaresoft also had it influence on this, but it is mainly thanks to Final Fantasy VII that so many rpg gamers bought the PS1.

Final Fantasy VII made it almost a must to have side-quests in your game. Because otherwise fans should quickly compare it with FF VII and say the game is less good because it lacks side-quests. Actually, Lufia II was the first rpg released in the western world(or actually, in Europe) with side-quests, so FF VII kinda stole it from that game. Nowadays there are many copies of characters from Final Fantasy VII. For example, Marsha from Arc the Lad III is a copy of Aeris. Velmont(Arc the Lad III), Ramirez(Skies of Arcadia), Alucard(Castlevania),many manga/anime characters, they all share their similarities with Sephiroth. FF VII set a new standard for the rpg genre. If a game was below this standard then it just wouldn't sell well and it would be slaughtered by reviewers.

And one last thing, it is kinda funny I have to "proof" myself by knowing Dungeons and Dragons, can't you just read my opinion and accept it as an opinion, instead that I first have to proof myself that I am knowledgeable enough to have such opinion?

I must applaud you for your reasoning,it was very good,and very true,however many games before FF VII had sidequests.DragonQuest V had the bonus dungeon idea,where after beating the game you could have access to the bonus dungeon.FF VI was also a very customizing game,whether you wanted your character to learn that magic or not was completely up to you.Several sidequests were contained in that game such as beating Tri Toch,as well as Terrato.Umaro was also a secret character.I'm wondering if you even played VI.The game is full of many sidequests to do.FF V even had a few.They had just as many as FF VII while maybe not as time consuming,but still just as important to the gameplay.Most of your reason for liking FF VII was very valid,and very true,but the extras and sidequests is just plain rediculous.You have no idea what you are talking about.Yes I would just like to accept your opinion,and just for the record yes I know it is your opinion,but your reasoning is well,not very strong.Always remember this is simply a debate,I enjoy this,because I enjoy reading what you have to say,however much it to me seems very unthought out.You seem to know so much about DragonQuest yet you have only played VIII which I assume you only opinionize on certain things you've read.Even Chrono Trigger had a few sidequests.Also Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon arent very challenging if you know what to do (ever wonder what Aire Tam storm was backward?Its Materia:D)
29.08.2006 - 17:47
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by [user id=823] on 29.08.2006 at 04:30

I must applaud you for your reasoning,it was very good,and very true,however many games before FF VII had sidequests.DragonQuest V had the bonus dungeon idea,where after beating the game you could have access to the bonus dungeon.FF VI was also a very customizing game,whether you wanted your character to learn that magic or not was completely up to you.Several sidequests were contained in that game such as beating Tri Toch,as well as Terrato.Umaro was also a secret character.I'm wondering if you even played VI.The game is full of many sidequests to do.FF V even had a few.They had just as many as FF VII while maybe not as time consuming,but still just as important to the gameplay.Most of your reason for liking FF VII was very valid,and very true,but the extras and sidequests is just plain rediculous.You have no idea what you are talking about.Yes I would just like to accept your opinion,and just for the record yes I know it is your opinion,but your reasoning is well,not very strong.Always remember this is simply a debate,I enjoy this,because I enjoy reading what you have to say,however much it to me seems very unthought out.You seem to know so much about DragonQuest yet you have only played VIII which I assume you only opinionize on certain things you've read.Even Chrono Trigger had a few sidequests.Also Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon arent very challenging if you know what to do (ever wonder what Aire Tam storm was backward?Its Materia:D)

I have said that there were games before Final Fantasy VII that also had side-quests, but Lufia II is the only game I can remember which had such a large amount of side-quests. Other games just had a few things you could do after completing the game, but those things could only fill up 10 hours of gaming. Instead of the side-quests of Final Fantasy VII(and Lufia II), those side-quests all together will double the gaming time after completing the game. I can't say about Dragon Quest V, because the game has never been released outside Japan.

About the earlier Final Fantasy games, I have played them, but not much. Because at that time I thought they were pretty bad compared with games such as Lufia, Breath of Fire or Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu. I don't remember much of the older Final Fantasy games, only the big lines. However, I am sure the side-quests weren't that big and advanced as the side-quests of Final Fantasy VII or Lufia II.

Well, did I give you the idea that I know a lot about Dragon Quest? Well, no I don't. You know why? Because almost all the Dragon Quest/Warrior games have been released only in Japan, or in Japan+US. In other words, we Europeans had almost no chance to play these games. Now they finally released a Dragon Quest game in Europe, but I can almost only base my opinion on that one game. As far as the other games goes, I do know how the Japanese rpgs developed, how it began, the evolution of it etc. I know Dragon Quest/Warrior had a role in this. You can say "well, you opinize your opinion about things you have read", but I purely base my opinion on the influence of the Dragon Quest games on the Japanese rpgs, because an influence cannot be denied if it is there, and I would just call it general knowledge about the history of the Japanese rpgs.

Well, I have never completed Chrono Trigger because I think that game is kinda overrated(but that is a whole different topic..I guess you like it ) Well, they are easy if you use a walkthrough, but did you try to beat him just by finding your own materia etc.? Finding the "Final Attack" materia, breeding a Gold Chocobo for the Knights of the Round. Believe me, that will take MANY hours before you figured that all out. And after that you even have to find a good strategy to beat those two.
30.08.2006 - 05:21
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by AntaeusM on 29.08.2006 at 17:47

Written by [user id=823] on 29.08.2006 at 04:30

I have said that there were games before Final Fantasy VII that also had side-quests, but Lufia II is the only game I can remember which had such a large amount of side-quests. Other games just had a few things you could do after completing the game, but those things could only fill up 10 hours of gaming. Instead of the side-quests of Final Fantasy VII(and Lufia II), those side-quests all together will double the gaming time after completing the game. I can't say about Dragon Quest V, because the game has never been released outside Japan.

About the earlier Final Fantasy games, I have played them, but not much. Because at that time I thought they were pretty bad compared with games such as Lufia, Breath of Fire or Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu. I don't remember much of the older Final Fantasy games, only the big lines. However, I am sure the side-quests weren't that big and advanced as the side-quests of Final Fantasy VII or Lufia II.

Well, did I give you the idea that I know a lot about Dragon Quest? Well, no I don't. You know why? Because almost all the Dragon Quest/Warrior games have been released only in Japan, or in Japan+US. In other words, we Europeans had almost no chance to play these games. Now they finally released a Dragon Quest game in Europe, but I can almost only base my opinion on that one game. As far as the other games goes, I do know how the Japanese rpgs developed, how it began, the evolution of it etc. I know Dragon Quest/Warrior had a role in this. You can say "well, you opinize your opinion about things you have read", but I purely base my opinion on the influence of the Dragon Quest games on the Japanese rpgs, because an influence cannot be denied if it is there, and I would just call it general knowledge about the history of the Japanese rpgs.

Well, I have never completed Chrono Trigger because I think that game is kinda overrated(but that is a whole different topic..I guess you like it ) Well, they are easy if you use a walkthrough, but did you try to beat him just by finding your own materia etc.? Finding the "Final Attack" materia, breeding a Gold Chocobo for the Knights of the Round. Believe me, that will take MANY hours before you figured that all out. And after that you even have to find a good strategy to beat those two.

You really don't know who you are dealing with do you? (joke) I have beaten every single Final Fantasy more than 3 times (and I still manage to have a girlfriend:another joke) but FF VII sidequests really never took that long.I never looked at a walkthrough to beat emerald or ruby,I just simply used my knowledge of the game.There is also no way you can double your time in FF VII with sidequests,so I don't where you are getting that from.I have played many rpg's,games of series you may have heard only very little of if anything at all.I can beat FF VII in I believe I beat it once in 40 hours or less,not sure,and then did all the golden chocobo raising,did it twice in fact.I still wasnt even close to doubling my time.I believe you base all what you say soley on your opinion,and I want this debate to do nothing with opinion.My favorite game is probably VI but I think V is the best Final Fantasy.Sure influence can be a factor,but in this case its only because the game was so highly publicized.I only can possibly wonder if you aren't just basing all of this on what you want to believe of the game.Play through the other FF's more,and maybe you will find something you missed.To deny this,is just nothing more,than simple foolishness,because you said yourself that you dont really remember them.
30.08.2006 - 14:22
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by [user id=823] on 30.08.2006 at 05:21

You really don't know who you are dealing with do you? (joke) I have beaten every single Final Fantasy more than 3 times (and I still manage to have a girlfriend:another joke) but FF VII sidequests really never took that long.I never looked at a walkthrough to beat emerald or ruby,I just simply used my knowledge of the game.There is also no way you can double your time in FF VII with sidequests,so I don't where you are getting that from.I have played many rpg's,games of series you may have heard only very little of if anything at all.I can beat FF VII in I believe I beat it once in 40 hours or less,not sure,and then did all the golden chocobo raising,did it twice in fact.I still wasnt even close to doubling my time.I believe you base all what you say soley on your opinion,and I want this debate to do nothing with opinion.My favorite game is probably VI but I think V is the best Final Fantasy.Sure influence can be a factor,but in this case its only because the game was so highly publicized.I only can possibly wonder if you aren't just basing all of this on what you want to believe of the game.Play through the other FF's more,and maybe you will find something you missed.To deny this,is just nothing more,than simple foolishness,because you said yourself that you dont really remember them.

Well, probably you have played more Final Fantasy than I did, but that's just because I am not that big of a fan of the Final Fantasy series. There are better series out there. Oh yes you can, at least I did it. Maybe I should say it differently. I wasn't bored with the game after doubling the gaming time. I guess that is because of the side-quests, I cannot see any other reason why I could play a game for so long after completing it. Well, that's good for you, however, I found it a bit hard to believe you, especially with defeating Emerald Weapon. Anyway, it took me a lot longer.

Oh, you have played many rare and unknown series, you are so cool. grow up. You acting like I am an ignorant, and somehow you have the feeling you are better than me. I don't feel the need to proof I also play many(I repeat many) Japanese rpgs, because that has completely nothing to do with the topic subject. Actually, what we are discussing right now has nothing to do with the topic subject.

Yes, but what happens to bad rpgs? You forget them quickly, simple as that. At the time of the Snes there were better rpgs than Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy started to bloom with FFVII(and withered with FF VIII, haha), but before that the series weren't any better than all the other standard rpgs on the Snes.
And sorry I base my opinion on my own experiences, well, maybe I should believe everything they say in articles etc.? I can form my own opinion.
31.08.2006 - 02:40
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by AntaeusM on 30.08.2006 at 14:22

Written by [user id=823] on 30.08.2006 at 05:21

Well, probably you have played more Final Fantasy than I did, but that's just because I am not that big of a fan of the Final Fantasy series. There are better series out there. Oh yes you can, at least I did it. Maybe I should say it differently. I wasn't bored with the game after doubling the gaming time. I guess that is because of the side-quests, I cannot see any other reason why I could play a game for so long after completing it. Well, that's good for you, however, I found it a bit hard to believe you, especially with defeating Emerald Weapon. Anyway, it took me a lot longer.

Oh, you have played many rare and unknown series, you are so cool. grow up. You acting like I am an ignorant, and somehow you have the feeling you are better than me. I don't feel the need to proof I also play many(I repeat many) Japanese rpgs, because that has completely nothing to do with the topic subject. Actually, what we are discussing right now has nothing to do with the topic subject.

Yes, but what happens to bad rpgs? You forget them quickly, simple as that. At the time of the Snes there were better rpgs than Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy started to bloom with FFVII(and withered with FF VIII, haha), but before that the series weren't any better than all the other standard rpgs on the Snes.
And sorry I base my opinion on my own experiences, well, maybe I should believe everything they say in articles etc.? I can form my own opinion.

Now it just sounds like your getting angry,hey buddy your the one who came in here and started this.This was a thread about DragonQuest the series not just DragonQuest 8.I am flattered you came in here and posted,for that I am thankful,because it doesn't seem like there are many DQ players.Remember though you are the one who started this.Also Emerald Weapon is a complete joke,but so is Ruby,if you know what to do.Believe me or not I really dont care.Your right FF VIII wasn't so great,and I started to lose faith in the series,but the series picked up with IX,but then completely fell apart with X.Even more so with FF X-2.
31.08.2006 - 05:01
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by [user id=823] on 31.08.2006 at 02:40

Now it just sounds like your getting angry,hey buddy your the one who came in here and started this.This was a thread about DragonQuest the series not just DragonQuest 8.I am flattered you came in here and posted,for that I am thankful,because it doesn't seem like there are many DQ players.Remember though you are the one who started this.Also Emerald Weapon is a complete joke,but so is Ruby,if you know what to do.Believe me or not I really dont care.Your right FF VIII wasn't so great,and I started to lose faith in the series,but the series picked up with IX,but then completely fell apart with X.Even more so with FF X-2.

I wasn't angry, but slightly frustated because you started to throw it at insults instead of a decent discussion. For example: "I have played many rpg's,games of series you may have heard only very little of if anything at all"

if you just knew me for a bit, then you should know that these kind of games are my number one priority in my life, that A LOT of my days exist of playing these kind of games, and then you are going to tell me that I am ignorant? that kinda pissed me off.

Well, I cannot tell you more than about Dragon Quest VIII. I can tell you, don't expect much people will reply here. This is not a rpg forum, so you can't expect from the members here to be die-hard rpg gamers. Of course, maybe a few members are(like you and me), but most of the members just aren't interested in this. I tried to open a Suikoden thread. Guess what, after 1,5 months still not one reply.

Yes I started this, because I wanted to discuss about Dragon Quest, we did go offtopic with the Final Fantasy thingie, eh.

Well, that is what you think, I saw Emerald and Ruby as a great challenge(unlike those extra bosses in the other Final Fantasy games..), and well, you have played Final Fantasy VII more than I did, so maybe it is experience. To me it is just hard to believe someone beat Emerald Weapon and can say it was easy. IX was worse than X in my opinion. IX had a horrible childish narration. They did add some things from the earlier Final Fantasies(maybe the reason why you liked it more), but the whole childish atmosphere didn't motivate me to continue with this game. FF X at least had a decent storyline and a nice system(sphere grid), however, the linear progress of the game made it a torture to complete the game, because it became so repetitive. Exploration is essential in a rpg in my opinion. In FF X there was no space for exploration, or space to roleplay your characters.

Anyway, to bring this topic to its original meaning, what do you think about the upcoming Dragon Quest: Yangus? Personally I am kinda dissapointed they are going to release this game. They only release these kind of games for the money, and I don't expect anything enjoyable will come out of it. Catching monsters and train them isn't really my thing.
03.09.2006 - 23:40
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by AntaeusM on 31.08.2006 at 05:01

Written by [user id=823] on 31.08.2006 at 02:40

I wasn't angry, but slightly frustated because you started to throw it at insults instead of a decent discussion. For example: "I have played many rpg's,games of series you may have heard only very little of if anything at all"

if you just knew me for a bit, then you should know that these kind of games are my number one priority in my life, that A LOT of my days exist of playing these kind of games, and then you are going to tell me that I am ignorant? that kinda pissed me off.

Well, I cannot tell you more than about Dragon Quest VIII. I can tell you, don't expect much people will reply here. This is not a rpg forum, so you can't expect from the members here to be die-hard rpg gamers. Of course, maybe a few members are(like you and me), but most of the members just aren't interested in this. I tried to open a Suikoden thread. Guess what, after 1,5 months still not one reply.

Yes I started this, because I wanted to discuss about Dragon Quest, we did go offtopic with the Final Fantasy thingie, eh.

Well, that is what you think, I saw Emerald and Ruby as a great challenge(unlike those extra bosses in the other Final Fantasy games..), and well, you have played Final Fantasy VII more than I did, so maybe it is experience. To me it is just hard to believe someone beat Emerald Weapon and can say it was easy. IX was worse than X in my opinion. IX had a horrible childish narration. They did add some things from the earlier Final Fantasies(maybe the reason why you liked it more), but the whole childish atmosphere didn't motivate me to continue with this game. FF X at least had a decent storyline and a nice system(sphere grid), however, the linear progress of the game made it a torture to complete the game, because it became so repetitive. Exploration is essential in a rpg in my opinion. In FF X there was no space for exploration, or space to roleplay your characters.

Anyway, to bring this topic to its original meaning, what do you think about the upcoming Dragon Quest: Yangus? Personally I am kinda dissapointed they are going to release this game. They only release these kind of games for the money, and I don't expect anything enjoyable will come out of it. Catching monsters and train them isn't really my thing.

Yes I agree with you on the Yangus game,completely worthless idea,lets hope Square doesn;t put too much influence on Enix with the whole money thing.Because yeah Square Enix with its FF games are clearly just trying to make money with Advent Children,Dirge of Cerberus,X-2 do you think any of those games really needed to be continued,however I do think X could of been a little expanded but definitely not FF VII as far as im concerned that game was very complete.I suppose I brought up Final Fantasy this time,but that pisses me off,what do you think about those FF VII games?
03.09.2006 - 23:51
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by [user id=823] on 03.09.2006 at 23:40

Yes I agree with you on the Yangus game,completely worthless idea,lets hope Square doesn;t put too much influence on Enix with the whole money thing.Because yeah Square Enix with its FF games are clearly just trying to make money with Advent Children,Dirge of Cerberus,X-2 do you think any of those games really needed to be continued,however I do think X could of been a little expanded but definitely not FF VII as far as im concerned that game was very complete.I suppose I brought up Final Fantasy this time,but that pisses me off,what do you think about those FF VII games?

Hm, well, I think Square-Enix should stop releasing FF VII games. Because they are just released for one purpose: money. However, I do have to say a thing about Advent Children. Advent Children is a move purely created for the money, but story wise it wasn't so bad. I was just dissapointed they revived Sephiroth and didn't pay much attention to the other characters, but overall it had some nice animations. It wasn't neccesary, but the movie could be much worse than it is now. I still have to play Dirge of Cerberus(how long has it been released? a few days? ). but I am not positive about it. I am too scared to put a X-2 cd in my precious PS2. I hope that says enough.

Yes exactly. Yangus is a cool character, but I wouldn't like to play a whole game about him. Just imagine everyone talking with that accent he has(Pickham's accent? ). I have heard the game is mostly about catching monsters and train them. Sounds like pokemon to me, or in other words, not interesting. Is this purely based on Yangus' skill Whistle in Dragon Quest VIII or something? It is just stupid. Square-Enix also develops this game, instead of level 5. Stupid that level 5 agreed with this. Ah well, too bad the gaming industry is so focused on money.
04.09.2006 - 00:09
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by AntaeusM on 03.09.2006 at 23:51

Written by [user id=823] on 03.09.2006 at 23:40

Hm, well, I think Square-Enix should stop releasing FF VII games. Because they are just released for one purpose: money. However, I do have to say a thing about Advent Children. Advent Children is a move purely created for the money, but story wise it wasn't so bad. I was just dissapointed they revived Sephiroth and didn't pay much attention to the other characters, but overall it had some nice animations. It wasn't neccesary, but the movie could be much worse than it is now. I still have to play Dirge of Cerberus(how long has it been released? a few days? ). but I am not positive about it. I am too scared to put a X-2 cd in my precious PS2. I hope that says enough.

Yes exactly. Yangus is a cool character, but I wouldn't like to play a whole game about him. Just imagine everyone talking with that accent he has(Pickham's accent? ). I have heard the game is mostly about catching monsters and train them. Sounds like pokemon to me, or in other words, not interesting. Is this purely based on Yangus' skill Whistle in Dragon Quest VIII or something? It is just stupid. Square-Enix also develops this game, instead of level 5. Stupid that level 5 agreed with this. Ah well, too bad the gaming industry is so focused on money.

There was a game called DragonQuest monsters (two games actually 1&2 and 2 you were able to play as a girl or boy so it was like pokemon) with a similar story.Yes it does seem kind of like pokemon haha.I thought Advent Children ruined the FF VII story with those random clones (what the fuck?) it did look pretty though,and all the characters were hardly used,and you are right it was purely for money.