Metal Storm logo
The Urban Sophisticates

14.08.2006 - 19:10
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
The Urban Sophisticates is a Live Hip-Hop group with funk and rock groves. The band is made up of Benton James, MC; Aaron James, Vocals; Ricky Nxumalo, Bass; Jeremy Denman, Trumpet; Sal Mascali, Trombone; and Romondo Jessup, Drums. Now for those who are not familiar with the genre of Live Hip-Hop it is basically Hip-Hop style of vocals with live instruments. Bands like The Roots are a great example. All the music is actually played, just like a rock band. So there are no drum tracks, etc.

As for The Urban Sophisticates, their music is a funk laden music style with a hard rock guitar sections, while trumpets and trombone blast away. Lyrically, The Urban Sophisticates have lyrics about faith, love and relationships. None of the Bling-Bling, bitches and blunts sort of crap.

I have seen them live several times and have met the band. These guys are fantastic. Now I am not a fan of rap, but these guys are not rap. I highly recommend their album The Cowards Anthem. You can also check them out on their MySpace here http://www.myspace.com/theurbansophisticates.
----
(space for rent)
17.08.2006 - 21:30
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Thought I'd give this a try. 'Coward's Anthem' is playing right now. At the beginning I was kind of, bluh, doesn't sound very interesting, but the way how the song progresses into some nice tunes and a nice sounding flow of the vocals is quite good and with the different instruments, quite nice. Heh, I guess it helps that I used to listen to some hip-hop, because my brother also listened to it quite enthousiasticly. The funk elements make it really nice, and the fact that they use real live instruments counts for me. Now listening to 'Feelin It', again a nice use of the trompets, which makes it just that bit more interesting. 'Breakups' is up, oehh, nice guitar, nice bass, heh, they know how to make the music more interesting. Hahahh, found myself tapping along with my finger on the beat of this song. It all reminds me of the great anime 'Sumarai Champloo', kind of similar vocals I guess, though the soundtrack to that anime has less funk influences I guess. 'On My Way Feat Clas...' is the next song, MySpace refuses to display the full song. This is a really relaxing song, very nice, a sudden beginning and a sudden end.

Heh, I enjoyed it Hemlock, thanks Gonna listen to those songs again.
23.08.2006 - 20:19
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Eddie on 17.08.2006 at 21:30

Thought I'd give this a try. 'Coward's Anthem' is playing right now. At the beginning I was kind of, bluh, doesn't sound very interesting, but the way how the song progresses into some nice tunes and a nice sounding flow of the vocals is quite good and with the different instruments, quite nice. Heh, I guess it helps that I used to listen to some hip-hop, because my brother also listened to it quite enthousiasticly. The funk elements make it really nice, and the fact that they use real live instruments counts for me. Now listening to 'Feelin It', again a nice use of the trompets, which makes it just that bit more interesting. 'Breakups' is up, oehh, nice guitar, nice bass, heh, they know how to make the music more interesting. Hahahh, found myself tapping along with my finger on the beat of this song. It all reminds me of the great anime 'Sumarai Champloo', kind of similar vocals I guess, though the soundtrack to that anime has less funk influences I guess. 'On My Way Feat Clas...' is the next song, MySpace refuses to display the full song. This is a really relaxing song, very nice, a sudden beginning and a sudden end.

Heh, I enjoyed it Hemlock, thanks Gonna listen to those songs again.

If you want, I can try and send you all their songs via the Internet. The material on the MySpace is not even close to their best work.

On a side note, we're trying to get them to come to our college and lead a worship service one night.
----
(space for rent)
23.08.2006 - 20:44
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 23.08.2006 at 20:19

If you want, I can try and send you all their songs via the Internet. The material on the MySpace is not even close to their best work.

On a side note, we're trying to get them to come to our college and lead a worship service one night.

Ahh, that would be very cool If you would want to do that, I guess you can use www.megaupload.com or something similar, I think thats the easiest way

I hope it will work out, getting them to your college, would be really nice.