Metal Storm logo
Manowar - Magic Circle Music's Dio Tribute Under Fire

Self-proclaimed kings of metal Manowar and Magic Circle Music - the company owned by bassist Joey DeMaio - find themselves in the middle of a media storm because of their Dio tribute album (read: cash grab).

It all started when Manowar and Magic Circle Entertainment decided to "honor one of metal's greatest legends with Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio, featuring Magic Circle Music artists and friends performing some of Dio's most inspired work."
Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio features a Manowar cover of "Heaven And Hell", while HolyHell covers "Holy Diver", with other performances of Metalforce, Jack Starr's Burning Starr, Feinstein and a thing called the "Magic Circle All Star Band" covering "Long Live Rock 'n' Roll".

According to a press release, the album - which will be released today in Germany - "is from the hearts of these musicians. It is not only their privilege, but also their duty, to honor Ronnie by singing his praises while singing his songs."

There was no word if any of the revenue generated from the sale of Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio would go to the Ronnie James Dio "Stand Up And Shout" Cancer Fund.

But - and here's where it gets sticky - ex-Elf guitarist, and a cousin of Dio, David "Rock" Feinstein responded to the release as follows: "I just found out that Magic Circle Music stated on their site that I was contributing a song to their proposed tribute album to Dio. It also states that I specifically wrote this song for Ronnie. This is totally UNTRUE! The song is called "Far Beyond" and was a cut on the Feinstein Third Wish album, released by Magic Circle Music (SPV) in 2004. The song was co-written by myself and John West eight years ago.

I am NOT a part of this Magic Circle tribute album, and will ONLY be a part of any tribute to Ronnie that is sanctioned by Niji Entertainment Group and Wendy Dio."

And then, Manowar director Neil Johnson issued the following statement defending the release, saying the criticism is fueled by jealousy. He stated: "I hope you all will enjoy it and please do not be influenced by some of jealousy and negativity being spread about this very heartfelt project, which I, along with many others who shall soon come forth, are very proud of. Magic Circle Music will be issuing a statement very soon but in the meantime let me personally express my feelings about it with some indisputable facts:

1. Joey DeMaio along with other members of Manowar knew Ronnie long before the people who are speaking ill of this project, with the exception of Rock Feinstein.
2. Joey and Ronnie were very close friends and no words of jealousy can ever change that, please look at the video that is forthcoming to see it for yourself.
3. In my opinion, Rock Feinstein has one person and one person only to thank for the fact that he has a career today and that person is Joey DeMaio.

The fact is... Joey signed him to Magic Circle Music personally, Joey not only made it possible for him to play at Wacken, but Joey played the song "Far Beyond" on stage with him. It is well known that Ronnie and Rock had not spoken to each other (not the first time for something like this to happen) for many months and Joey alone is responsible for reuniting them onstage that night.

Lastly, this tribute is being done in memory of a friend by his friends not for financial gain... Joey DeMaio trusts his fans, and his fans trust him... seeing this video will hint that there is a real, legitimate history (and reason) behind our Dio project."

Though in the meantime, also Ronnie James Dio's widow Wendy has slammed the tribute projects. She issued the following statement on the official RJD website: "I have seen lately on Blabbermouth.net a lot of announcements of bands releasing "so-called" Dio Tribute CD's. Please do not be fooled by thinking they are doing this for the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund, the money is going in their pockets and not to the Fund. I find this totally disgraceful and upsetting that they are trying to make money off of Ronnie's death."

Source: ronniejamesdio.com
Band profile: Manowar
Posted: 18.06.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 34   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 329 users
18.06.2010 - 11:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Damn, is everyone making money off of Dio's death except for me?

In all seriousness, this is bullshit. I'd like to hear their defence against Wendy Dio's comment. "Uh, well, she didn't know Dio as well as Joey DeMaio." Right....
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.06.2010 - 11:22
corrupt
With a lowercase c
This is pretty much what I expected to happen. It also fits perfectly into my picture of Joey DeMaio. Too bad that despite all this they will indeed make good money with this.
----
18.06.2010 - 11:22
BudDa

Written by Doc G. on 18.06.2010 at 11:03

..yeah, and I think its gonna remain that way..lol
Hey Neil, comeon, I mean what do u take us for..Ofcourse theres money to be made. We just wanna hear it from the horse's mouth where all that money will be going... to the cancer fund or to Demaio's pocket..?!
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
18.06.2010 - 12:39
Bas
Retired Staff
Wasn't it already a wellknown fact that Joey DeMaio is the biggest douchebag in metal history?
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
18.06.2010 - 12:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Fucking cashgrab unless ALL the proceeds go to a cancer fund.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.06.2010 - 13:37
Lord_Regnier

Written by Doc G. on 18.06.2010 at 11:03

In all seriousness, this is bullshit. I'd like to hear their defence against Wendy Dio's comment. "Uh, well, she didn't know Dio as well as Joey DeMaio." Right....

Typical of this shit band to seize any opportunity to make money, even in the most embarrassing way.
Damn I hate Manowar. I will still hate those greedy douchebags in the afterlife.
And to think there are people who take this sellout band seriously and believe they really represent metal, while they're such a disgrace.
"Whimps and posers, leave the hall". Well, if it were true, not a single Manowar show would happen because the biggest posers are on the stage.

@Marcel: Even if the money would go to a cancer fund (and I'm sure it won't), it still pisses me off because Manowar use it as a way to promote themselves. They're not in it for Dio's glory but for their own.

I must admit I really like Wendy's words and I trust them much more than anything DeMaio can say. She's right: for lots of bands and artists, it's a hypocritical and disgusting way to make money out of her husband's death. Not a tribute but more like some kind of insult.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
18.06.2010 - 14:28
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Totally agree with you Lord, as well as with Wendy...All the people trying to capitalize on Ronnie's death make me sick...Except for Joey DeMaio, who makes me sick all the time...
18.06.2010 - 16:45
Chidder

If they want to pay the tribute, why can't they record some Dio songs and released it for free download? Or play some Dio/Black Sabbath songs on the concert? Anthrax played in Warsaw "Heaven & Hell" and it is a way the tribute should be made - not earning money, but simply playing his songs, keeping him alive in our memory.
18.06.2010 - 16:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Chidder on 18.06.2010 at 16:45

Anthrax played in Warsaw "Heaven & Hell" and it is a way the tribute should be made

way to ruin the surprise for everyone :
18.06.2010 - 17:07
Chidder

The setlist for all the bands is already known and spread through the entire world. But it is a Soni - I'm sure they will suprise You more than once
18.06.2010 - 17:49
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I love Dio, but personnally I couldn't care less about all this "money grabbing" bullshit. I just wanna listen to Manowar cover Heaven & Hell. Even if Joey's an asshole, Manowar is a good band.
18.06.2010 - 19:10
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 18.06.2010 at 17:49

I love Dio, but personnally I couldn't care less about all this "money grabbing" bullshit. I just wanna listen to Manowar cover Heaven & Hell. Even if Joey's an asshole, Manowar is a good band.

same here, i can't care less for Joey's bullshit as long as they write decent music(and their last EP is at least above average). he does seem to have been a good friend with Ronnie though.
18.06.2010 - 21:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Pathetic cashgrab by perhaps the single most pathetic band in metal.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.06.2010 - 22:27
Andreas

If it's a cashgrab indeed, then you know how much of a friend Joey was for Ronnie.
18.06.2010 - 23:22
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Easy way to solve it....
Give all funds to the cancer fund, let everyone put out a Tribute album, just make sure they all find out some way to put out a track list that doesn't conflict with the other Tribute albums track listing. If people want to ensure it's not about the money set it up so that the money does not go into the hands of anything else other than Dio's cancer fund.

This way it's not only going to ensure "It's not about cash it's about the music" and that "It's clearly going somewhere to benefit everyone who really needs it/truly can benefit."
----
18.06.2010 - 23:22
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Other bands play, manowar do the hustle.

----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.06.2010 - 23:26
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 18.06.2010 at 23:22

Other bands play, manowar do the hustle.

- what band is that? De Maio looks like he is going to the discotheque.
19.06.2010 - 00:06
Lord_Regnier

Written by Valentin B on 18.06.2010 at 19:10

Written by Guest on 18.06.2010 at 17:49

same here, i can't care less for Joey's bullshit as long as they write decent music(and their last EP is at least above average). he does seem to have been a good friend with Ronnie though.

Well, that's precisely the problem I have with this band: not only that the band members are despicable douchebags but they never made decent music and release nothing but shit.
----
19.06.2010 - 09:12
Symmachus

It's ridiculous how I've heard more about controversy stemming from this label than upcoming releases. There was the controversy about DeMaio versus Rhapsody of Fire, and now this. Okay, it may not be so much Magic Circle Music that is to blame for all the related controversy, but the spirirt of Joe DeMaio/Manowar that's probably at fault. They have been accused of being money-grabbers and too focused on the monetary aspect of the music business, and I think there is fine reason for them to be called as such. Personal opinion aside about the music, Manowar's monetary tendencies have costed them their legacy. For instance, starting when Manowar released their first DVD, there have been seven DVDs (eight if you count the VHS version of Hell On Earth Part I) and two studio albums. I have heard of cases where long-time musicians or bands become "legends", or so to speak, and stick around long enough to mess that up; I find this to be a sad example of that. I don't hate the guys, by the way; I just think that they have performed a lot of inadequate business during their tenure in the music industry, especially recently.
19.06.2010 - 12:21
DreamNightmare

Who's going to buy it anyway - it's Joey Demio and his damn company that caused all the Rhapsody of Fire legal stuff. This is just reason for people to turn on him even more
19.06.2010 - 19:27
Lord_Regnier

Written by DreamNightmare on 19.06.2010 at 12:21

Who's going to buy it anyway - it's Joey Demio and his damn company that caused all the Rhapsody of Fire legal stuff. This is just reason for people to turn on him even more

You could be surprised how many people swallow every shit this band throws at them and how many of them believe they are trve and tough only because they listen to this kind of ultra-commercial poser cheesemetal band. Lots of people don't have enough wits to realize it's all image and marketing when it comes to Manowar.
----
19.06.2010 - 20:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Lord_Regnier on 19.06.2010 at 19:27

Written by DreamNightmare on 19.06.2010 at 12:21

You could be surprised how many people swallow every shit this band throws at them and how many of them believe they are trve and tough only because they listen to this kind of ultra-commercial poser cheesemetal band. Lots of people don't have enough wits to realize it's all image and marketing when it comes to Manowar.

Well, I like a lot of Manowar stuff. I usually try to ignore politics when listening to music...but this is just too far for me.
----
- George Carlin
19.06.2010 - 20:59
Lord_Regnier

Written by Doc G. on 19.06.2010 at 20:41

Well, I like a lot of Manowar stuff. I usually try to ignore politics when listening to music...but this is just too far for me.

I understand. All the other bands who are trying to turn Dio's death to their own benefit are no better than Manowar in the current case. It's just that it's such an habit with Manowar that it's kinda more infuriating. They always have to make everything so out of proportion and criminally pretentious, I think lots of people have enough of their despicable behavior.
To tell the truth, even if I would like Manowar's music, which is absolutely not the case as I've been thinking for decades that their music sucks major ass, I would still despise them as human beings and condemn their attitude. Self-proclaimed Kings of Metal there's only one throne they deserve to sit on: the one with a little level to flush the water.
For example, I like Dissection (apart from "Reinkaos") but it doesn't prevent me to utterly despise the human being Nodveidt was.
----
19.06.2010 - 21:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Lord_Regnier on 19.06.2010 at 20:59

Written by Doc G. on 19.06.2010 at 20:41

I understand. All the other bands who are trying to turn Dio's death to their own benefit are no better than Manowar in the current case. It's just that it's such an habit with Manowar that it's kinda more infuriating. They always have to make everything so out of proportion and criminally pretentious, I think lots of people have enough of their despicable behavior.
To tell the truth, even if I would like Manowar's music, which is absolutely not the case as I've been thinking for decades that their music sucks major ass, I would still despise them as human beings and condemn their attitude. Self-proclaimed Kings of Metal there's only one throne they deserve to sit on: the one with a little level to flush the water.
For example, I like Dissection (apart from "Reinkaos") but it doesn't prevent me to utterly despise the human being Nodveidt was.

Yeah, that basically sums up my feelings toward the band. Their past transgressions were more...cute in a way. The type where you can kind of sit back and go "haha, look what they're up to now." but this is just disgusting.

I wouldn't say hate all of Manowar either. It appears DeMaio is the main dickwad in all their silly behaviour.
----
- George Carlin
19.06.2010 - 21:23
Lord_Regnier

Written by Doc G. on 19.06.2010 at 21:04

I wouldn't say hate all of Manowar either. It appears DeMaio is the main dickwad in all their silly behaviour.

Interesting. I've been wondering since long ago how the other band members really are. DeMaio is one of the most disgusting douchebag in the metal scene, if not the most sickening of all, but I've never been sure about the others. But they're staying in the band so, to a certain extent, they agree with his behavior in some way. Because, honestly, there's no way I could be in the same band of such an asshole and tolerate his behavior. I would end up telling him to "fuck off", to "eat shit" or I would punch him or whatever. Sometimes, the way he speaks makes me wish he will choke in his sleep.
Even Varg Vikernes pisses me off less than Joey DeMaio.
----
21.06.2010 - 06:32
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
In some ways it does seem like people are trying to exploit Dio's death to make money, but in a lot of other ways it seems a lot of people want to pay a tribute to him.
21.06.2010 - 19:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Xim on 21.06.2010 at 06:32

In some ways it does seem like people are trying to exploit Dio's death to make money, but in a lot of other ways it seems a lot of people want to pay a tribute to him.

it's simple. if you want to pay tribute, there are two ways to do it.

1. coordinate with Wendy or someone at the SUAS Cancer Fund and have your tribute part of something that they do. (basically, record and donate a song to them for use of the fund) ... or if releasing a tribute, coordinate so that proceeds go to the fund.

2. cover a Dio song and pop it up on your band's website for free download.

basically either do the right thing and donate proceeds to help battle the disease that killed him (and many, many, many other people) or at least don't profiteer off it.
----

24.06.2010 - 23:05
Lord_Regnier

Written by Irritable Ted on 24.06.2010 at 22:48

Have you seen the price of this thing nearly £23. Fucking hell. The cover is a complete rip off of Rainbow Rising as well.

Amazon.co.uk

Only makes it more obvious that it's nothing else than one more cash grab from the Kings of Cheese.
It's a blessing there are still lots of underground metal bands to compensate for greedy corporate assholes like Manowar, otherwise I would have lost all faith in metal years ago. At least true, real metal still exists, despite all the sold-out posers who give a false image of what metal truly is and plague it like a cancer.
----
24.06.2010 - 23:21
Lord_Regnier

Written by Irritable Ted on 24.06.2010 at 23:08

Have you heard the cover version of Heaven And Hell. It has no emotion what so ever, the Jorn tribute has feeling and you can tell that RJD meant a lot to him. The Manowar cover is just pure shit, they didn't pay tribute in my book.

I haven't heard it until now but since I think anything Manowar ever made is pure shit, I expect nothing but crap.
----
12.08.2010 - 04:18
Gambler Gambler

This CD features many of Ronnie James Dio's finest moments with Rainbow, Sabbath and Dio performed by Manowar and friends. The songs are covered (or interpreted if you prefer) with care and respect. Highlights include Burning Starr's "Catch The Rainbow", Shmoulik Avigal's spectacular vocals on "Long Live Rock and Roll" and Awaken's Maiden-esque take on "I Speed At Night". Although most acts here are not well known, we do get a couple of 'name' bands: Manowar tackles "Heaven and Hell" with surprisingly good results considering this is one of those absolutely iconic, seemingly 'untouchable' songs, like "Stairway To Heaven". Goth/Power Metal sensations HolyHell (with singer Maria Breon, the only female vocalist on the entire compilation - hey, women like Dio too!) contribute an inspiring live version of "Holy Diver" and The Rods' guitarist (and Dio cousin) Rock Feinstein appears on an original tune, "Far Beyond", that features the superb vocals of John West (Badlands, Royal Hunt, Artension). Dio influenced a lot of musicians over the years and it seems to me like the performers on this record just wanted to honor that legacy. I'm not one to get involved in the politics of these discussions, but it would seem to me that if Manowar wants to make money, there have to be better ways than a tribute CD; maybe an original CD, for example, where they would own the rights to all of the music? Let's not forget that each of these songs had to be licensed for this CD. There are fees for that. Certainly Ronnie owned all or much of the publishing on these songs. That money must go somewhere, to someone and it's not Manowar. There are performing rights organizations who collect those royalties. And, at the end of the day, Dio's son stepped forward with an endorsement of this CD and suggested two alternates for proceeds to go to. So, I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I think the outpouring of tributes is a testament to the man's legacy. The profits from such a tribute, if there even are any, have got to be negligible. And why hasn't anyone mentioned Jorn Lande's tribute which was announced before this one?
http://www.amazon.com/MAGIC-Tribute-Ronnie-James-Dio/dp/B003STL0R2

Hits total: 12612 | This month: 14