Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - New Album In The Works

Nightwish keyboard player Tuomas Holopainen has announced the band is working on new material and will start recording a new album in October. In an update in the band's "Summer Camp diary" he writes:

"Almost exactly 4 years ago we gathered into an idyllic place in the small village of Sävi to rehearse and arrange what would later be called Dark Passion Play. It was such glorious and inspiring times that we decided to do something similar with the upcoming Nightwish album called...

So again we are here in the deepest countryside of Finland beginning to create a follower for DPP. It's just us guys for now, Anette will join the camp a bit later. We arrived yesterday and the reunion was celebrated with some water-skiing, bbq and Quilmes. I foresee the same trinity taking place more or less on a daily basis.

We just got the equipment and PA set up with the help of our legendary engineer/co-producer TeeCee Kinnunen and probably will start working with the songs in a couple of days. This campsite is so amazing we'll let that sauna of a rehearsal room wait in silence for a while, and just concentrate on chilling out and catching up. And raising the official NW camp - flag high into the pole.

I have 12 songs completed now, but am still working with some lyrics. It's been an immensely fruitful songwriting process, as well as very consuming and ponderous. But I feel more satisfied with the stuff than ever before. Don't know if it's a good sign or bad. To me the album sounds like a rollercoaster ride in a theme park designed by Neil Gaiman, Tim Burton and Salvador Dali. That's the best way I can put it at this point.

Like before, we will record a demo once the songs are arranged, to listen to and to perfect the material, and to give to Mr. Pip Williams so he can start with the orchestration process. The actual enter-the-studio-date is set for October 15th. Again, the London orchestra and choir will be there, as well as Mr. Troy Donockley playing a slightly bigger part this time. And loads of new elements 'n twists we haven't tried before!

So things are finally rolling. We'll keep you posted in written, as well as in visual form. Stay tuned for updates."

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 17.07.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 59   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 390 users
17.07.2010 - 17:10
Enissa
Gud news, hope its gonna be better than the last one...
17.07.2010 - 17:19
Feng
Woot! Nice to hear some more news at last.
17.07.2010 - 17:45
Hell Yeah !
17.07.2010 - 17:49
Minkaro
The mental image of Marco water-skiing will haunt me till I die.
17.07.2010 - 17:53
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Seems like this album will be very meh just like DPP. It will have some good songs, but a bunch of fillers as well.
----
17.07.2010 - 18:05
vezzy
Stallmanite
No idea what to think of this.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.07.2010 - 18:12
Vermin
Good lord.. Not another one!
17.07.2010 - 19:28
Anibx
Written by 4look4rd on 17.07.2010 at 17:53

Seems like this album will be very meh just like DPP. It will have some good songs, but a bunch of fillers as well.

Wow, you already can say that and the songs aren't even completely written. You must be like that octopus from germany. I admire you.
17.07.2010 - 19:55
Ancient Ruin
Who cares.
17.07.2010 - 20:48
YoreLore
Written by Ancient Ruin on 17.07.2010 at 19:55

Who cares.

Maybe their fans do you prick
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
17.07.2010 - 20:52
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Oh god...

Just split up already.
----
17.07.2010 - 21:32
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Anibx on 17.07.2010 at 19:28

Written by 4look4rd on 17.07.2010 at 17:53

Wow, you already can say that and the songs aren't even completely written. You must be like that octopus from germany. I admire you.

I can say what I am expecting this album to be based on their last 3 albums (which were all pretty good, but nothing amazing). Maybe Toumas will surprise us this time.
----
17.07.2010 - 21:46
Symmachus
This is good news about the album in progress. Best of luck to them on the work. As long as I'm thinking about it, I wonder how Anette Olzon is doing, with her pregnancy and stuff.
17.07.2010 - 22:29
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by YoreLore on 17.07.2010 at 20:48

Written by Ancient Ruin on 17.07.2010 at 19:55

Who cares.

Maybe their fans do you prick

Written by corrupt on 17.07.2010 at 20:52

Oh god...

Just split up already.

Why do people always comment news from bands they don't like but are prominent (well known) saying "Who cares" .. and "break up already"..? There is seriously some sad and jaded people around.

On topic:
"It's been an immensely fruitful songwriting process, as well as very consuming and ponderous. But I feel more satisfied with the stuff than ever before. Don't know if it's a good sign or bad. To me the album sounds like a rollercoaster ride in a theme park designed by Neil Gaiman, Tim Burton and Salvador Dali. That's the best way I can put it at this point."

It better be as artistic and whimsical as he is claiming...
17.07.2010 - 23:09
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I had hoped Annette would have had her baby before they were to record this album... and hopefully be replaced by a guest singer... a permanent guest singer ^^
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
17.07.2010 - 23:35
Vombatus
Potorro
Hmmm annette pregnant ? Hope it's a good reason to get her out of the band for some time.... very long time
17.07.2010 - 23:57
I can't wait! the DDP was their magum opus imo so i hope this one's at least nearly as good'
18.07.2010 - 00:06
bluegreengod
Account deleted
Can't wait! DPP was an amazing album, and this will surely be as well.
18.07.2010 - 00:10
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
I wish I could hang out with Nightwish members. Finland is such a beautiful country and I'd love to see the guys at work. Along with At the edge of time and Poetry for the poisoned, this is the album I most look foreward to. And fans, remember that this is the first album, where Tuomas is going to write the songs for Anette's voice. We don't yet know what she is capable of, but we are about to find out. Good luck, Nightwish!
18.07.2010 - 00:50
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Hope they can be more consistent this time.
----
loves 小巫
18.07.2010 - 02:16
Weaponz248
Cant wait! I hope they can make a great album.

Why do people hate change? Annette is just as good as Tarja was but they have different styles.
18.07.2010 - 02:44
Ernis
狼獾
This album is promising to be a tasty piece of music... Glad to hear they're doing fine...
18.07.2010 - 02:59
deikuzutsu
Since I loved DPP, I can only say that my expectations are very high for the upcoming one.
18.07.2010 - 03:55
Lachy
Account deleted
I loved DDP too. I don't understand why so many hated it.
18.07.2010 - 03:55
Lachy
Account deleted
18.07.2010 - 06:05
mikeprado30
Musically, Dark Passion Play is their best one, but the "stone in the rice" is the Anette's vocal performing so weak in comparison with Tarja's previous efforts. But Anette has told that she will practice on to reach the top vocals that Tarja can, because she's a soprano also.

I just hope at least songs as good as "The Poet And The Pendulum", "Bye Bye Beautiful" and "Amaranth"
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
18.07.2010 - 06:10
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by mikeprado30 on 18.07.2010 at 06:05

Musically, Dark Passion Play is their best one, but the "stone in the rice" is the Anette's vocal performing so weak in comparison with Tarja's previous efforts. But Anette has told that she will practice on to reach the top vocals that Tarja can, because she's a soprano also.

Instrumental parts for Dark Passion Play were written and recorded before Anette came on board, she was at a disadvantage there, that Tarja never had. In fact, Tuomas changed the first album specifically to match Tarja's voice.
18.07.2010 - 06:38
farfaramir
Written by Guest on 18.07.2010 at 03:55

Because is boring, except for some good songs.
Because of Annete.
Because it's full of fillers.
Because "For The Hearth I Once Had", the worst song in Nightwish history.
Because it's too soft.

Enough reasons I understand people can like it, but there are enough reasons to hate it aswell... XD
18.07.2010 - 06:53
Anibx
Written by Guest on 18.07.2010 at 00:10

I wish I could hang out with Nightwish members. Finland is such a beautiful country and I'd love to see the guys at work. Along with At the edge of time and Poetry for the poisoned, this is the album I most look foreward to. And fans, remember that this is the first album, where Tuomas is going to write the songs for Anette's voice. We don't yet know what she is capable of, but we are about to find out. Good luck, Nightwish!

You're completely right. That why I have so high expectation for this album. This is the first time Tuomas write songs for Anette's voice and remember that when he wrote DPP he was on a real difficult time, the songwrite was pretty difficult and he almost isolate himself to write. This time all the drama with tarja is in the past and hopefully the result will be very good.
18.07.2010 - 07:39
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

Because is boring, except for some good songs.
Because of Annete.
Because it's full of fillers.
Because "For The Hearth I Once Had", the worst song in Nightwish history.
Because it's too soft.

Enough reasons I understand people can like it, but there are enough reasons to hate it aswell... XD

"Because it's full of fillers."

Every Nightwish album has fillers and overrated singles. What's the difference between Amaranth and Nemo? Between Bye Bye Beautiful and Wish I Had An Angel? '

"Because "For The Hearth I Once Had", the worst song in Nightwish history."

I'd easily give that title to Wish I Had An Angel or even Forever from Century Child.

"Because it's too soft"

Name five songs from past albums, that have been heavier than Master Passion Greed.

Hits total: 8305 | This month: 8