03. Lightning Strikes Twice
04. The Clansman
05. When Two Worlds Collide
06. The Educated Fool
07. Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
08. Como Estais Amigos

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced and mixes by Steve Harris and Nigel Green.

Guest review by
Demunarath
Rating:
Virtual XI was an album made under the Blaze Bayley banner (along with X Factor). I might just as well stop here with this review-but no, I will not.

The common notion about Blaze is that he has no talent whatsoever, he is rigid like a stone on stage and he is just not an Iron Maiden-type vocalist. As a matter of fact, someone had said that Steve only admitted him in the band cause of the fact that he played football well and he was a Manchester fan. I highly doubt these rumors, so I will disregard them now.

Read more ››
published 18.04.2004 | Comments (14)

Guest review by
un4givendemon
Rating:
Iron Maiden is one of the most legendary bands of all time. They practically created the genre and have influenced countless bands with their unique New Wave of British Heavy Metal sound. They have gone through three singers in their career; Paul Di'Anno (inception to 1981), Bruce Dickinson (1981-1993, 1999-now), and Blaze Bayley (1993-1999) the singer for this release. Bruce Dickinson is clearly the best singer; the success of their three most recent releases show how important he is to the band. Another example is, well, the Bayley era (1995's The X Factor and 1998's Virtual XI).

Read more ››
published 09.09.2007 | Comments (15)

Guest review by
Spyroid
Rating:
Probably more than 90% of the people I talked to about this album claim it to be complete shit, with the exception of "The Clansman," and I never really bothered to check this album out. Once I saw a documentary about some Maiden fans and one of them is talking to the other on the phone in one scene saying "Have you heard the new album? It has got to be their best so far!" He's talking about "Virtual XI" and I laughed my ass off at that comment. However, when I finally did listen to this album I almost had to punish myself for listening to other people instead of getting an opinion of my own.

Read more ››
published 27.08.2008 | Comments (21)

Found in 47 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 43   Visited by: 1240 users
18.07.2010 - 15:08
Rating: 4
vezzy
Stallmanite
The album gave me a headache right after "The Angel and the Gambler". No, seriously, it did.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
18.07.2010 - 15:56
Rating: 7
Angelic Storm
Melodious
This is an album that I find quite hard to give a definitive rating to, because Its quite a mess. Although ''Futureal'' is a good speedy opener, the flaws in the album become very apparent soon afterwards. The biggest problem I have with this album, is how some sections are repeated for so long, it sounds like they'll never end. The best example of this being "The Angel And The Gambler". It's a decent old school sounding 70's rock song but is almost ruined by the ''Dont you think I'm a saviour, dont you think I could save you, dont you think I could save your life?" sections which sound like they go on for an eternity. Quite what Steve Harris was thinking when he wrote this song, I have no idea! lol This problem rears its head again in "Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger", which actually starts off well. The very monotonous mid-section, which has the title of the song repeated numerous times kills off any momentum provided by the start of the song. The ending of ''The Educated Fool'' also suffers from this, though maybe to a slightly lesser extent. But still enough to potentially send you to sleep. This song is actually quite dull anyway, if not quite as boring as "Fortunes Of War" from the previous album.

The one song from this album which is almost universally praised by Maiden fans, even by many who dislike the rest of the album, is "The Clansman". While I think it is a little overrated, it is a very good song, and I like it a lot. "Lightning Strikes Twice" is definitely my fave song from the album. The intro provides a great build up, then when the main riff crashes in, the song really catches fire, and it doesnt let up till the end! This song also contains one of my all time fave Dave Murray guitar solos. xD "When Two Worlds Collide" is another song I really like, especially the lead guitar harmonies. The closing "Como Estais Amigos" is a decent ballad, if nothing spectacular.

As for Blaze's vocals, well, he is very limited in what he can do. But he gives his all on the album, and its a decent performance with his limited vocal range.
31.08.2011 - 12:27
Rating: 8
deflektor
6.7 for an album that has futureal,the clansman,the educated fool,don't look to the eyes of a stranger and como estais amigos ? you can't be serious...

(as for the "worst" iron maiden album,the title should go to no prayer for the dying and to a lesser extent to fear of the dark,both have way more fillers than this has)
01.01.2012 - 17:35
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by deflektor on 31.08.2011 at 12:27

6.7 for an album that has futureal,the clansman,the educated fool,don't look to the eyes of a stranger and como estais amigos ? you can't be serious...

(as for the "worst" iron maiden album,the title should go to no prayer for the dying and to a lesser extent to fear of the dark,both have way more fillers than this has)

Both albums are masterpieces comparing to this.
02.01.2012 - 01:30
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 01.01.2012 at 17:35

Written by deflektor on 31.08.2011 at 12:27

Both albums are masterpieces comparing to this.

As much as they suck, they're still a good step above Virtual crap. Saying that this album sucks is the understatement of the year. No word can tell how bad it is.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
02.01.2012 - 01:53
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

As much as they suck, they're still a good step above Virtual crap. Saying that this album sucks is the understatement of the year. No word can tell how bad it is.

yes, there are: it's uninspired, uninteresting, bland, repetitive, dull.
02.01.2012 - 02:01
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 02.01.2012 at 01:53

yes you can: it's uninspired, uninteresting, bland, repetitive, dull.

All this is true.

You know, I normally consider that music is a matter of tastes and you can't say that an album sucks in an entirely objective manner. However, in some exceptional cases, I think something can be so unbelievably awful that the only way to describe it is that it sucks, pure and simple. For me, "Virtual XI" objectively sucks.
----
02.01.2012 - 02:06
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 02.01.2012 at 02:01

Written by Guest on 02.01.2012 at 01:53

yes you can: it's uninspired, uninteresting, bland, repetitive, dull.

All this is true.

You know, I normally consider that music is a matter of tastes and you can't say that an album sucks in an entirely objective manner. However, in some exceptional cases, I think something can be so unbelievably awful that the only way to describe it is that it sucks, pure and simple. For me, "Virtual XI" objectively sucks.

i used to like a few songs on this album, the short/shorter songs but last times i tried listening to it, it got me terribly bored. I think Maiden did this album for contractual reasons because they sound like they did not have their heart into it. Virtual XI is Maiden's worst.
02.01.2012 - 02:24
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 02.01.2012 at 02:06

I think Maiden did this album for contractual reasons because they sound like they did not have their heart into it. Virtual XI is Maiden's worst.

I've always thought that Maiden released this crap only 'to release something'. Like you say, for contractual reasons.
I also agree that it is their worst album.
----
02.01.2012 - 02:45
NLthrasher
Dont like this album, IMO the best thing about this album is the artwork, I still know when I saw it as a little kid, it quite impressed me, the music unfortunately didn't.
01.03.2012 - 20:54
Korah
Bye bye Blaze!
----
Don't cry for my English
29.03.2012 - 21:25
Rating: 7
Big-Al
Written by NLthrasher on 02.01.2012 at 02:45

Dont like this album, IMO the best thing about this album is the artwork, I still know when I saw it as a little kid, it quite impressed me, the music unfortunately didn't.

Yes I do agree, one of their best album covers.
----

I drink moosepiss
30.08.2012 - 18:49
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Way better than X factor... At least, I could listen the whole album

Futureal, The Clansman and Como Estais Amigos are good songs.
30.08.2012 - 19:33
Rating: 6
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Worse then X Factor by all means ...that one is actually very good album
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

12.11.2012 - 22:05
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Definitely worse than X Factor, but I don't blame Blaze Bayley like so many others. I blame the songwriting for some of the songs here; Angel and the Gambler is a horrendous song, and "Don't Look To The Eyes of A Stranger" doesn't help much. There are of course some really great songs like "The Clansman", "Lightning Strikes Twice", and "When Two Worlds Collide", but as a whole, this is their second weakest album for me (only behind No Prayer for the Dying).
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
20.11.2012 - 18:50
megadeath13
Account deleted
If you like the real Iron Maiden you´ll ignore this piece of shit. No its not that bad, but for Maiden quality...
02.03.2013 - 00:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.07.2010 at 15:56

This is an album that I find quite hard to give a definitive rating to, because Its quite a mess. Although ''Futureal'' is a good speedy opener, the flaws in the album become very apparent soon afterwards. The biggest problem I have with this album, is how some sections are repeated for so long, it sounds like they'll never end. The best example of this being "The Angel And The Gambler". It's a decent old school sounding 70's rock song but is almost ruined by the ''Dont you think I'm a saviour, dont you think I could save you, dont you think I could save your life?" sections which sound like they go on for an eternity. Quite what Steve Harris was thinking when he wrote this song, I have no idea! lol This problem rears its head again in "Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger", which actually starts off well. The very monotonous mid-section, which has the title of the song repeated numerous times kills off any momentum provided by the start of the song. The ending of ''The Educated Fool'' also suffers from this, though maybe to a slightly lesser extent. But still enough to potentially send you to sleep. This song is actually quite dull anyway, if not quite as boring as "Fortunes Of War" from the previous album.

The one song from this album which is almost universally praised by Maiden fans, even by many who dislike the rest of the album, is "The Clansman". While I think it is a little overrated, it is a very good song, and I like it a lot. "Lightning Strikes Twice" is definitely my fave song from the album. The intro provides a great build up, then when the main riff crashes in, the song really catches fire, and it doesnt let up till the end! This song also contains one of my all time fave Dave Murray guitar solos. xD "When Two Worlds Collide" is another song I really like, especially the lead guitar harmonies. The closing "Como Estais Amigos" is a decent ballad, if nothing spectacular.

As for Blaze's vocals, well, he is very limited in what he can do. But he gives his all on the album, and its a decent performance with his limited vocal range.

best post here
IMO Futureal is best Blaze song ever written, realy speedy heavy song, and its lil disapointing afterm. Lighting Strikes Twice also is awesoem song, IMO secend best his song
I realy like this one, IMO its better than prev IM whit him on vox album, but pitty its last one, because in his solo albums he sounds diferent, instruments sounds diferent and lyrics to
The Clansman is good song to piss ppl of because ppl shood remeber what is real clansman , its not KKK but scotish clans. I heard nowdays in USA they force say kinsman insted of clansman because damn fucking KKK make scotisg clansman name sounds negative
So I like this song title to piss idiots off
But I agree about songs what is aprox 9min long, all are lill to long
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.03.2013 - 11:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Listened to this one yesterday once again...and Doh! this is really hurting my ears most of the time...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

03.04.2013 - 00:47
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I have one thing good to say about this album: The cover art is decent.
----
24.06.2014 - 07:40
mikeprado30
Beyond repetitive lyrics (Angel and the Gambler, Lightning Strikes Twice, Don't Look the Eyes of a Stranger) this is IMHO best album than Factor X (even when I consider it a nice experiment but below IM standards). Surely The Clansman will be considered the best song, but this album is not strictly this song. Lightning is also great, Futureal rocks, When Two Worlds Collide is very nice, The Educated Fool has its moments, Don't Look the Eyes has a GREAT instrumental part and Como Estais Amigos is very heartful (also great performance by Blaze). If weren't by the repetitive chorus, Angel and the Gambler would gain more points (but even with this issue I enjoy the song).

I think the Maiden's albums with Blaze need to be listened without complexes developed about bad opinions of the people and an open mind.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
24.06.2014 - 14:55
Charly546
I don't think you guys realise the true merit of this album - Virtual XI makes for excellent background music. This is something I often listen to when studying or working when I need some background music to drown out surrounding noises but nothing that would itself distract me from working. There isn't anything distracting on this album such as awesome riffs demanding for attention, choruses that beg you to shout them out loud, but also there are no bad things that usually draw attention - poor vocals, horrible songwriting (way too many repetitions for example).

Truly an album for a working man - listen to this on repeat when doing your homework and before you know it 6 hours have passed and everything is miraculously done.
07.12.2014 - 21:52
LordHypnos
Account deleted
So much unnecessary hate over a decent album. Just because Bruce wasn't in the band? In my opinion, Blaze is a decent singer, and his voice still fits the mood of the songs. His performance may not be perfect - and well, feel somewhat lifeless at times - but admit it, it was thanks to him that Maiden recovered their heavy sound. I didn't listen to the previous album yet, but Virtual XI sure has its moments. I agree with most people here that the best tracks are Futureal, The Clansman and Lightning Strikes Twice.

Also, Brave New World, Dance Of Death and A Matter Of Life And Death resemble this album a lot.
26.07.2015 - 22:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 07.12.2014 at 21:52

So much unnecessary hate over a decent album. Just because Bruce wasn't in the band? In my opinion, Blaze is a decent singer, and his voice still fits the mood of the songs. His performance may not be perfect - and well, feel somewhat lifeless at times - but admit it, it was thanks to him that Maiden recovered their heavy sound. I didn't listen to the previous album yet, but Virtual XI sure has its moments. I agree with most people here that the best tracks are Futureal, The Clansman and Lightning Strikes Twice.

Also, Brave New World, Dance Of Death and A Matter Of Life And Death resemble this album a lot.

vise words, I agree, I never hated Blaze, I am not fan of any band. Ityrs easier to judge music , well I always judge after listen and IMO only Blaze weak spot was weak voice sometimes
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.06.2016 - 12:33
majormalfunction
Sure there is a repetive factor going on this album and Angel & The Gambler is a bit wierd track that doesn't really sound like Maiden. As for the rest it's great stuff all around. The Educated Fool is a overlooked Maiden classic, The Clansman is a larger than life song and Como Estais Amigos could be Maidens best ballad. Great stuff!
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
26.08.2017 - 20:31
Vinther1991
A very weird album in Maiden's discography, that sounds half-finished, it's filled with potential, but overall it feels like the best ideas were left on the drawing board. The whole thing feels oddly rushed.
An 8 track long album, that's almost unheard of in the CD era. Two of the three longest tracks, The Angel and the Gambler and Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger miss the mark completely (the latter has it's moments though). Which leaves 6 tracks to make up for these misfires, save to say - they don't. Futureal and The Clansman are as good as prety much any Maiden tracks. The Educated Fool is a very interesting piece, very unique and underrated with some strong melodic and lyrical work from Harris. Como Estais Amigos is a strong ballad, though no masterpiece. Lightning Strikes Twice and When Two Worlds Collide are decent songs with great guitar work, though they are also very flawed and at times even silly.
The production is mediocre, not bad, but it's another thing that makes the album problematic. Overall it's an okay Maiden album, better than it's reputation, but it leaves a lot to be desired.
04.09.2018 - 22:46
Joppe
Steelemeister
TIPS ON HOW TO LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM:

1) Drop prejudices
2) Skip 'The Angel And The Gambler' and 'Lightning Strikes Twice' (and sometimes 'When Two Worlds Collide' when feel like it)
3) Have a good time and bang your god damn head
----
My vision is augmented
05.09.2018 - 23:39
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
"Lightning Strikes Twice" is one of the stronger songs on the album. Top 3.
06.09.2018 - 02:39
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Written by Azarath on 05.09.2018 at 23:39

"Lightning Strikes Twice" is one of the stronger songs on the album. Top 3.

The intro is excellent (one of the best moments on the album), the rest of the song is disappointing imo.

This album is a mixture of good songs and bad or generic ones. I like Futureal and The Educated Fool. The Clansman and Como Estais Amigos are easily my favourites on this record.

The Angel And The Gambler is well... the worst song they have ever made. Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger suffers from way too much repitition but I do like the music and riffs itself. When Two Worlds Collide is very forgettable and just overall mediocre. And like I said Lightning Strikes Twice is a bit of a two faced song for me.

I always felt with this album (and No Prayer For The Dying) that the album would get a higher score if it was made by a band that I just discovered. Something like a 7. But this is Iron Maiden and they have shown before these albums came out, what amazing work they can do. For them these albums are average at best. Even lyrics wise it's overall solid (except for the too much repetition on this album) but not on par with other Maiden work.
06.09.2018 - 22:31
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by tominator on 06.09.2018 at 02:39

I always felt with this album (and No Prayer For The Dying) that the album would get a higher score if it was made by a band that I just discovered. Something like a 7. But this is Iron Maiden and they have shown before these albums came out, what amazing work they can do. For them these albums are average at best.

Definitely.

"The Clansman" is the obvious highlight, while "Futureal" and "Lightning Strikes Twice" are good songs. "The Educated Fool" and "Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger" are both solid. The repetition in the latter doesn't bother me, the buildup in the middle works. (And the way they throw in the title one last time at the end, just in case we'd missed it, is hilarious)

"Como Estais Amigos" has never done much for me, and the other two are pretty awful.
24.01.2019 - 08:42
Rating: 3
JoHn Doe
Maiden's worst, an unlistenable mess
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.

Hits total: 22929 | This month: 81