Metal Storm logo
Marduk - Costa Rica's Catholic Church Asks For Respect

Costa Rica's Catholic church is calling for respect from the Swedish black metal band Marduk, who will be making an appearance in Costa Rica later this week on the Baphomet Fest.

Marduk has been strongly criticized by religious groups for its anti-Christian lyrics and even branding the band as "satanic."

Mario Segura, Catholic priest and spokesperson for the Curia Metropolitana, said "they should have more respect because they are sacred things", referring to the band's use of religious articles, like an inverted cross in its album cover art.

Segura said he considers that this type of music and message cannot encourage any good in Costa Rica's youth.

Marduk will be in Costa Rica on Thursday July 29 at the Pepper Disco Club (formerly The City). The band last made an appearance in Costa Rica in 2003.

EM3 Producciones, promoter of the event, said the Thursday show is for those 18 years of age and over and that the band will not be performing any type of ritual on stage, just perform its music.

Source: insidecostarica.com
Band profile: Marduk
Event: Baphomet Fest 4
Posted: 27.07.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 37   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 246 users
27.07.2010 - 16:27
Hugoj33
Jajajaja catholic pussies
27.07.2010 - 16:36
BudDa
Elite
Haha...yeah, Marduk, show some Respect!...
Its though beyond me how they were scheduled to play in Costa Rica in the first place...Didn't Mario Segura see this coming?!
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
27.07.2010 - 16:44
JÄY
Metal slave
Is this the first drama of 2010?
27.07.2010 - 17:03
Got Mayhem?

Of course Father Mario! After 20 years of spreading blasphemy I'm sure the only reason Marduk have continued their unholy tirade is because no one has asked them to show some respect. Congratulations, I'm sure this remarkably novel idea of yours will not only turn Marduk into a more civilized band, but will also affect Black Metal in general.
----
27.07.2010 - 17:59
rpsgc
Hey Catholic Church, show some respect to the thousands of children you've molested.
27.07.2010 - 18:56
In_tallica
"and even branding the band as satanic.".....

Well...maybe because they ARE satanists xD.
27.07.2010 - 19:00
Andreas
I have to agree with the priest. Why? For the same reason you're not gonna play the drums on Sundays when you know that there are christians living nearby who don't like that sort of thing.
27.07.2010 - 19:17
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Catholics should start making anti-satanist bm bands. That'll show em.
27.07.2010 - 19:20
MeloDeathViking
Written by Marcus on 27.07.2010 at 19:17

Hahaha this idea is genius!
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
27.07.2010 - 19:46
Ask

There's already un-black or white metal or whatever-you-want-to-call-them bands like Antestor. I'm not sure if they're Catholic or not but they have pro-Christian lyrical themes.
27.07.2010 - 20:08
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Ask on 27.07.2010 at 19:46

There's already un-black or white metal or whatever-you-want-to-call-them bands like Antestor. I'm not sure if they're Catholic or not but they have pro-Christian lyrical themes.

I'm sure he's fully aware of them.

But this is hilarious, really,
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
27.07.2010 - 20:40
Stratowarrior
Fuck the church!! i don't like black metal, but religion has always been a mafia, and who's charging them for all the killings all over the years?
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
28.07.2010 - 00:45
Hamird
Lieutenant
"they should have more respect because they are sacred things"... Seems he hasn't seen the band yet, because the way he's talking is like talking to an 8 year old boy not Mortuus and Morgan!
28.07.2010 - 01:15
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
At least they aren't trying to ban the band from playing...what's wrong with wanting a little respect?
28.07.2010 - 01:25
iMorphball
Written by Guest on 28.07.2010 at 01:15

At least they aren't trying to ban the band from playing...what's wrong with wanting a little respect?

Black Metal, Catholicism, Black Metal, Catholicism, Black Metal, Catholicism...

Hmmm...
28.07.2010 - 02:53
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Fuck that, they're performing at an event called BAPHOMET FEST. they're going after the wrong people if they want respect.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.07.2010 - 03:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Why all the hate?

If this is really the entire story, I'd say it's a good move from the church. Simply asking for respect is in no way wrong. There's nothing wrong with showing a bit of sympathy, not even for kulty kulty Marduk.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.07.2010 - 03:23
Sworn
That Mario Segura deserves to fucking die.
28.07.2010 - 05:38
Culty
So asking for respect deserves a death sentence?
----
Gfnttlr
28.07.2010 - 07:41
selken
Irreligious
Total hypocrisy, Costa Rica, as well as my country (sadly) is a drug bridge and a corruption paradise. Church instead would be helping poverty or something, instead of ruining something that moves economy

Anyway, we have to behave meanwhile, the rest of the world is not evolved enough for metal.
----
28.07.2010 - 09:31
Varegan
Hamranakara
Thanks to catholic for propagation marduk's gonna have more audience in costa rica.
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
28.07.2010 - 09:52
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well, he just asked for some respect, even if that doesn't change things for the band (maybe some more attention), Segura now will be seen as someone who raised his voice against this "disrespectful" band, and probably that's what he wanted, who knows, after all both sides are getting something good, in some strange and very weird way.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
28.07.2010 - 11:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
With the "he should go die" responses, i am going to laugh my fucking head off the next time a metalhead whines that they deserve respect.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.07.2010 - 12:06
RavenLord
Written by Andreas on 27.07.2010 at 19:00

I have to agree with the priest. Why? For the same reason you're not gonna play the drums on Sundays when you know that there are christians living nearby who don't like that sort of thing.

Fuck 'em. You have a right to be offended, and if your religious views oppose those of a band performing near you, well that's tough shit. I hope the priest in the article never travels to Norway.
And trying to point out the sanctity of an icon of a torture device to a band like Marduk is...well...missing the point a bit. In fact, entirely.

I think Marduk should cover Arethra Franklin's 'Respect' at this gig. 'You asked for it...so here it is!'
----
28.07.2010 - 16:34
powcernacy
Hello everyone, please read this short article:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18606_8-historic-symbols-that-mean-opposite-what-you-think.html

I'm not trying to piss you off, I'm a fan of some extreme bands myself. Akercocke is what comes to my mind first. I adore their music, but, as far as those crosses are concerned... don't you smell a distant scent of ignorance here? Not to say mindlessness...
28.07.2010 - 16:55
Andreas
Written by RavenLord on 28.07.2010 at 12:06

Written by Andreas on 27.07.2010 at 19:00

Fuck 'em.

Preferably not. Call me narrowminded, but I don't like to start arguments with people whose values differ from mine. Doing so is only pathetically and childish provoking, actually the same as where bands like Marduk are all about. But that's a whole other story of corpse.
28.07.2010 - 19:50
Dark Doom
MARDUK must fuck the religion and religious fuckers
28.07.2010 - 23:29
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Got Mayhem? on 27.07.2010 at 17:03

Of course Father Mario! After 20 years of spreading blasphemy I'm sure the only reason Marduk have continued their unholy tirade is because no one has asked them to show some respect. Congratulations, I'm sure this remarkably novel idea of yours will not only turn Marduk into a more civilized band, but will also affect Black Metal in general.

Had a good laugh reading this
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
29.07.2010 - 00:27
Perseverence
Account deleted
I'm gonna get a bunch of Satanists together and protest As I Lay Dying and The Devil Wears Prada.:necro: But I must say that any death threats made to the Priest should stop. All of Yall are asses.
29.07.2010 - 07:40
DoomGuard
I'm Catholic, say something bitches

Hits total: 6252 | This month: 15