Metal Storm logo
Favorite guitar solo

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 20.08.2006 - 19:25
This isn't about the best guitar solo, but your favorite one, and explain why it's your fav.

Mine is the one of Fatal Tragedy (Dream Theater). It may not be Petrucci's best, but I love it because it begins quite powerful, then he plays some sort of different "extracts", and finally that amazing progression until the end of the song.
05.09.2006 - 22:14
heresiarch
Forever Dead
One of my favs is Iron Maiden - Gangland short but effective
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
05.09.2006 - 22:34
RavenLord
Jimmy Page's solo in 'Stairway to Heaven' is good, as is the solo in Pink Floyd's 'Time'

As for metal, a heap of Maiden solos own. The Trooper is one of the best, but the original solos in 'Hallowed' and 'Aces High' are damn good, as well.

Bodom's solos at the end of 'Kissing the Shadows' blow me away...the duelling solos remind me of 'Hangar 18' ...which is my second favourite Megadeth song (for solos), after the Conjuring...that solo on top of the main riff...*drools*

Other than that, Glenn Tipton's solos in 'Victim of Changes', 'Painkiller' and 'Beyond the Realms of Death' are some of the best Priest solos around.
----
06.09.2006 - 06:03
Mega-Slayer
Written by RavenLord on 05.09.2006 at 22:34

Jimmy Page's solo in 'Stairway to Heaven' is good, as is the solo in Pink Floyd's 'Time'

As for metal, a heap of Maiden solos own. The Trooper is one of the best, but the original solos in 'Hallowed' and 'Aces High' are damn good, as well.

Bodom's solos at the end of 'Kissing the Shadows' blow me away...the duelling solos remind me of 'Hangar 18' ...which is my second favourite Megadeth song (for solos), after the Conjuring...that solo on top of the main riff...*drools*

Other than that, Glenn Tipton's solos in 'Victim of Changes', 'Painkiller' and 'Beyond the Realms of Death' are some of the best Priest solos around.

I agree with "Time" their is something special about it that I like,when I first heard Dark Side I always repeated it.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
06.09.2006 - 06:13
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Advanced Corpse Tumor (Necrophagist)
08.09.2006 - 02:45
Iron_Metalfan
Account deleted
Pantera - Shattered : The solo is so melodic and blindingly fast, and fits the tempo of the song perfectly RIP DIME
29.09.2006 - 01:41
IrOnRoSeS
Account deleted
I don't know if my favourite... it kinda changes every week maybe... but Testament's Practice What You Preach solo is wonderful powerful yet melodic. I love Alex Skolnick playing
29.09.2006 - 05:03
Sunioj
Morbid angels world of shit, it has one of the most erie intense solos ripped by trey that best suits my liking.
30.09.2006 - 15:44
DyNo!!
Account deleted
for me it's pantera's cemetery gates solo... a great proof for a great musician (R.I.P)
30.09.2006 - 18:54
Mega-Slayer
Written by Sunioj on 29.09.2006 at 05:03

Morbid angels world of shit, it has one of the most erie intense solos ripped by trey that best suits my liking.

Yeah it is an extraordinary solo,along with "Rapture","Evil Spells","Prayer Of Hatred","Beneath The Hollow" and "Where The Slime Live",fuck there are so many I cant think of them.Truthfully Trey has never layed down a lame or weak solo.
----

30.09.2006 - 19:39
Twist
Twisted Kid
For me,that's impossible to say...But my favorite solo in a metal song...I have a few options.

Dream Theater - Under A Glass Moon (John Petrucci on guitar)
Metallica - One (Kirk Hammet on guitar)
Megadeth - Holy Wars...The Punishment Due (Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman)
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell (Darrel "Dimebag" Abbot)
Sinergy - I Spit On Your Grave (Alexi Laiho and Roope Latvala)
Children Of Bodom - Aces High (Iron Maiden cover,solo played by Alexi Laiho)
Death - Trapped In A Corner (Chuck Schuldiner and Andy LaRocque) or The Philosopher (solo by Chuck)
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - Aeon (Jarmo Puolakanaho and Antti Kokko)
Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side (André Olbrich)

I could always put in more,but whatever...
----
Is this where we suffer LOL
30.09.2006 - 23:56
Sunioj
<mega slayer
Yeah thats definetley true, there isnt a real song where trey is better at soloing than the other.
04.10.2006 - 23:23
Klaara
Account deleted
As some people already said, Pantera - Cemetery Gates is really great solo, also Walk maybe.
Pink Floyd ... my favourite is Comfortably Numb, because there are lot of feelings in it, it's so beautiful and emotive...
And other (very very) good solo from the rock area is November Rain by Slash from Guns N' Roses. I never get sick of this song because of that solo...
My favourite band is also Rage Against The Machine, so what about something created by Tom Morello? I love Bulls on Parade, for example.
There are so many guitarists and so many solos I like, it's impossible to name all.... the songs above are just these that came to my mind when I saw this topic....
04.10.2006 - 23:52
Remus
Burning Angel from Arch Enemy is my current favourite! Also the solo(clean+distortion) of Metallica's My Friend of Misery.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
06.10.2006 - 11:17
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
here is my list:
Heritence Of Berija - Kalmah
Since the first smile - Heavenwood
Aces High - Children Of Bodom
Blood of hatred - Eternal Tears Of Sorrow
(the lead in) Deviate - Astarte

these are all I can remember ATM..........
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
08.10.2006 - 05:48
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
On the previous page I mentioned Slayer's Angel of Death, Nile's Cast Down the Heretic and Megadeth's Hanger 18, but I thought of more:

Sepultura- Mass Hypnosis
It's not the longest or fastest solo, but I still love it. It's very catchy and is often in my head.

Pantera- Domination
Well, plenty of people have mentioned Pantera, but I don't think anyone has brought up Domination. It's very energetic and I love how effectively it leads to the breakdown. Most metalcore bands don't properly execute breakdowns, by the way. This is how to do it- build up tension, and then release it with a fucking breakdown, but don't overuse it.

Pretty much any solo by Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer, and Morbid Angel. Those guitarists OWN.
08.10.2006 - 05:57
Mega-Slayer
A very catchy kick ass solo I enjoy is James Murphy's on "Chopped In Half",Its definitley the most memorable on the album.
----

08.10.2006 - 05:59
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Here's a few more:

Iron Maiden- Aces High & Wasted Years
Children Of Bodom- Kissing The Shadows
Nile- Churning The Maelstrom
Opeth- Harvest, The Funeral Protrait, & Hours Of Wealth
Slayer- Black Magic
Death- a lot of songs
Obituray- Internal Bleeding
Black Sabbath- Children Of The Grave
Carcass- Exhume To Consume (cool solo) & Carnal Forge
&
for some reason I really enjoy the solo at the end of Autopsy's Twisted Mass Of Burnt Decay
08.10.2006 - 06:04
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by Mega-Slayer on 08.10.2006 at 05:57

A very catchy kick ass solo I enjoy is James Murphy's on "Chopped In Half",Its definitley the most memorable on the album.

Sarry about double post, but ya, Chopped In Half has a killer solo. I forgot to mention it.
08.10.2006 - 12:17
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Here's a quick lisyt of some of my fav solos:

-Dnazig - Mother
-Slayer - Angel of Death
-Metallica - Fade to Black
-Dream Theater - Endless Sacrifice
-AC/DC - Back in Black
-CoB - Lake Bodom

my personal fav is Fade To Black, it's a great example of s perfect solo. its got everything, fast licks, melodic runs, everything. Great solo!!!

there just a few of the many great solos out in the metal world.
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
10.10.2006 - 15:23
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
here is my new list:
Children Of Bodom - Downfall
Kalmah - Swamphell
Manowar - Hand Of Doom ------ Swords in The Wind
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
10.10.2006 - 18:20
?Bodomchild?
Wow man there's a lot but there a few one

Blind Guardian - Lost in The Twilight Hall
Metallica - Damage.INC
Sodom - Ausgebombt, Incest
Iron Maiden - The Clansman (Janick solo,especeally in rock in rio), Killers
DragonForce - Once in a Lifetime,Cry for Freedom
Norther - Nothing Left,Released,A Fallen Star, Midnight Walker
Children of Bodom - Silent Nigth Bodom Night (all ) , Mask of Sanity, Chokehold
----
asd
11.10.2006 - 01:05
Panterised
Account deleted
Pantera-Domination the best solo is in monsters of rock when Dime adds some other melodies in the solo (R.I.P
DIMEBAG
11.10.2006 - 02:44
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Every time I post here I do so without thinking about every band and just post a crazy solo that I"m currently listening to. I will do it again.

Atheist- Enthralled in Essence
This solo is pretty fast and is of average length, but what gets me is right when you think that it's over, it comes back stronger then ever.
27.11.2006 - 06:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Opeth- The Moor (from the album 'Still Life')

After the 1 minute or so of build up theres a really cool almost spanish sounding acoustic solo, not only is the solo really cool sounding it builds the perfect lead up to that punishing first appearance of the electric guitars and drums.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.11.2006 - 16:36
Sunioj
Kalmah - Heroes to us, sorta long, but definetley is a perfect solo.
27.11.2006 - 16:44
Warman
Erotic Stains
Right now I think that the Arch Enemy song Fields of Desolation '99 contains my favourite solos, at least the one catchy as hell in the end! I just can't sitt still during that one!
----
28.11.2006 - 02:02
Spirit Crusher
Account deleted
Although many would come close, nothing beats the solo in Hatebreeder by Children of Bodom (especially in Tokyo Warhearts). Alexi's technical ability is just phenomenal.
28.11.2006 - 13:13
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by [user id=18138] on 28.11.2006 at 02:02

Although many would come close, nothing beats the solo in Hatebreeder by Children of Bodom (especially in Tokyo Warhearts). Alexi's technical ability is just phenomenal.

I've mentioned that one in this thread and it truly is amazing, the battle between Wirman and Laiho is awesome!!! And yes, it's even better live! Easily some of the best solos ever!
----
28.11.2006 - 13:38
Xaphiris
"Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness", that 2 minute solo blows my mind. Or the technical stuff done by Mike on "Opeth - Grand Conjuration"...
----
04.12.2006 - 16:35
Flame
There is a lot of good guitar solos. These are just few of them:
Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name, No More Lies...
Arch Enemy - Dead Eyes See No Future...
Cradle Of Filth - Tonight in Flames...
Manowar - Swords in The Wind
Amon Amarth - Prediction of Warfere
In Flames - Evil in a Closet...